HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:49 AM

Why not? The Westgate development actually looks to be pretty interesting and I'm waiting for it to open on Nov. 17th.

Living in a more urban place like downtown is nice as well...but they still don't have anything as "happening" as this probably will be. Also, not everyone works in the downtown area. I'd love to live in a high rise downtown, but then I'd have to drive to the suburbs everyday for business...that would be a bit dumb.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 6:27 AM
Skyriser

Westgate is the only thing that's at all urban there--the other developments (Cabela's) are as suburban as you can get--massive parking lots, etc. A place in downtown Phoenix or Tempe might in theory offer less from the start, but those cities' carrying capacity for connected across-the-board urban living/retail/etc options are substantially greater than you'll ever find in Westgate.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JI5
I'm sorry - but I don't understand why anyone would want to live there? Really good MALL access perhaps? Then again, I don't understand why anyone would want to live in Glendale, yet some do.
I live in Glendale cause I work here. It takes me 5 minutes to get to work and that's a whole lot of time saved per day.

I don't see the Westgate as just malls. They have the stadium, theater and arena and lots of new resturants are coming up. I think they'll even have a convention center too. All that in a small area. It would really be great to have a 2nd home there but I'll likely just use it for my guests so I won't have to entertain them at my house. Of course if it's going to cost $1000/sq ft, then I'll have to think twice before buying one.

What Glendale really needs is to develop their airport. I bet if they do that, there'd be more people wanting to live here and home values would go higher.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:14 PM

OK, just my two cents. At the risk of sounding like someone who was recently banned I don’t understand this subtle hostility people seem to have for the west valley and while not defending sprawl or pointing any fingers it seems to be something expressed predominately by people who live in the east valley. I never understood this perceived rivalry until I choose to move the west valley. The reaction from coworkers who inquired as to where I lived would be one of “Oh, you live in the avenues!?” as though I had been infected by some terminal plague.

I’ve never put much stock into others opinions so their perceptions are just that, their perceptions. But it did get me thinking, what’s the hang up? Unfortunately the conclusion that I come up with is one of cultural and class phobias, an elitist mentality by people who are not part of the elite. Again, I’m just speaking from my own personal experience but I’ve seen it time and time again, the young account manager who drove a leased, two year old, 3 series BMW, living in a rented apartment in south Scottsdale, stretched to his limit. The receptionist, who needed three room mates to rent a home in Scottsdale, yet drove to work in a ten year old car which she always parked at the farthest section of the parking garage in order to ‘hide’ her car. The middle-aged network security manager who bought a town home in Tempe, only to let it slip once that nearly 40% of the homes in his community were rentals and a good percentage of those were Section 8 housing. The odd thing about these individuals was their ‘nose in the air’ attitude towards the west valley. This façade that their zip codes proved their success all the while hiding the little details beneath the surface, a sort of self delusion to their own lack of success.

I also believe this desire to be part of ‘upper-crust’ is what has perpetually hurt our downtown. The idea that being associated with an area that was gritty signified some class distinction. For me the ironic thing about this whole rat race is that now it seems things may be coming full circle. It seems the truly wealthy will be the few who initially will be able to afford to live in those shiny new high rises. Maybe threw their own actions they will make it trendy or fashionable for the Jones’ to finally come back to the core. But then again maybe I'm just full of it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:38 PM
BANNED

CANUC, I'm assuming I'm the person you are referring to... that doesn't sound like anything I'd say, hehe.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:56 PM

John V. no I was talking about someone else.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 5:57 PM
BANNED

who else got banned? I know Don just up and left, right?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 6:01 PM

Im assuming he is talking about El Avocado

Old Posted Oct 31, 2006, 8:39 PM

Canuc-
I think the West siiide has some great pockets.
-Some pricey pockets too!
There are certain areas that are great areas to live!

I think most make the mistake of lumping all of the West side into one hat.
I think areas like the Maryvale area give the whole West side a bad name.

I love the Westgate area. The prices are nowhere near $1,000 a sq ft yet.
-More like $300 actually!

There is a lot of ignorance with mainstream Scottsdale mentality.
I have a habit of poking fun at Mesa but I do it in a light-hearted way.

I think most of the people in this particular forum simply want fellow Phoenecians to embrace the idea of moving back to the inner city/ core. (Urban movement)

Just cause we're from Phoenix doesn't mean we should all support sprawl! (Even if our father's generation of polititians did)
There is something fun and cachet about high-rise living. I just went to a design center with a buddy who I sold a condo to at Century Plaza and he cannot quit talking about how cool his life is gonna be there!
We don't all have to have the same exact tastes to appreciate eachothers views.

I for one notice the good areas of Glendale. -And I like your observations of those who ridicule the West side! Typical!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:12 AM

I think it was J15's comment that annoyed some people. I think he's entitled to say whatever. I'm sure he'll checkout Westgate too when it's done. LOL

I'm hoping this forum is a good source of info though, rather than just mere negative comments about why people chose their lifestyle and location.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:31 AM

Let's never forget downtown Glendale--the West Valley's true urban gem. My continued hope is that with all of the new attention being placed on the West Valley (and the city of Glendale in particular), more and more of it will eventually be directed there ...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelback_road
Let's never forget downtown Glendale--the West Valley's true urban gem. My continued hope is that with all of the new attention being placed on the West Valley (and the city of Glendale in particular), more and more of it will eventually be directed there ...
it is a neat place, unfortunately, if you're under 90 you won't have any fun.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 1:45 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
I think the bias against the West side is a very long routed one, its comes from a lot of different things. For years and years, most of the quality development happened in the east valley. Downtown Scottsdale and Tempe are in the east valley, as well as the Camelback corridor. People who grew up in the valley probably spent most of their evenings doing activities on the east side of town. Furthermore, I'd make the claim that the east valley is more natural beautiful. When I picture the west valley, I just think of flatness. In the east valley you have Squaw Peak, Papago Peaks, the Tempe Buttes, the town lake (though thats not natural), and of course the icon of Phoenix, Camelback mountain.

I think Westgate is fine, its nice quasi urban living. Its going to have a lot of chain type places in it, but if you work in the west valley, its probably the best place to live. Downtown Glendale is extremely charming, but its more of a retirement area.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 6:47 AM

I like getting everyones opinions in this forum.
Downtown Glendale had some loft projects proposed last year- I am anxious to see if they end up happening. It is pretty neat driving through "Old Town Glendale"...

I obviously choose to live in Tempe/ Downtown Phx or Scottsdale.
-But I am excited about Westgate- I think 10 yrs from now we will all be wishing we purchased in The Quarter or the Ellman Lofts!

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 6:02 PM

I think that until recently, there were no comparable 'Scottsdale-esque' developments on the west side. Now that's changed, since Scottsdale, Chandler, etc are out of land. Look at north Peoria - lots of custom builds (12k sq ft +), open desert, etc. Same in parts of Avondale, Goodyear, Buckeye, etc. I personally advise friends to build over here (particularly in north Peoria) versus building in the SE valley...

I love the west side personally, that's why I live here. Lot of good stuff going on, the center of which being the Westgate area. There's a ton of good paying jobs coming as well to the Deer Valley airpark area. More will fill in around Westgate over time. This side of town will develop its urban cores as well - with Glendale and Peoria already with big projects to revitalize their downtowns. And don't forget the 19 story zoning for I-17 and Carefree Hwy.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam
Furthermore, I'd make the claim that the east valley is more natural beautiful. When I picture the west valley, I just think of flatness. In the east valley you have Squaw Peak, Papago Peaks, the Tempe Buttes, the town lake (though thats not natural), and of course the icon of Phoenix, Camelback mountain.
You need to picture the 'new' West Valley. I've always thought that the Estrella Mtns and White Tanks were the 'most impressive' mountain ranges that the valley has. A lot of the West Valley is flat, but the newer stuff is moving north into the foothills - and the area around Lake Pleasant is just incredible - a lot more picturesque than even some areas in Scottsdale.

A lot of retirees - yes, but East Mesa and Carefree/N. Scottsdale have more than their share of retirees too. (I've heard Carefree referred to as Sun City for people with money) Where I'm at in West Wing Mtn, its primarily families with 2.5 kids. Then there are the football players building the mtn side estates...

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 7:45 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
^Sorry, I dont think the west valley will ever be for me. Other than Coyotes and Cardinals games, there is just no reason for me to go over there. Everything is in the central or east valley. Want to go to the zoo? E.V. Want to go to an ASU game? E.V. Botanical gardens? E.V. Just about any concert? Central or E.V., etc etc.

And yes there is a lot of custom homes being built in the west valley, like in Scottsdale, but thats not the part of Scottsdale Im sure most on this forum enjoy. Its the old town, compact, urban part of Scottsdale that we like, and the West side has nothing like that.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2006, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam
^Sorry, I dont think the west valley will ever be for me. Other than Coyotes and Cardinals games, there is just no reason for me to go over there. Everything is in the central or east valley. Want to go to the zoo? E.V. Want to go to an ASU game? E.V. Botanical gardens? E.V. Just about any concert? Central or E.V., etc etc.

And yes there is a lot of custom homes being built in the west valley, like in Scottsdale, but thats not the part of Scottsdale Im sure most on this forum enjoy. Its the old town, compact, urban part of Scottsdale that we like, and the West side has nothing like that.
There's a zoo out here too - the Wildlife Zoo, which I personally enjoy more with my family than trekking down to the Phx Zoo (and its cheaper). Concerts? The last few I went to were at Glendale, erm Jobbing.com Arena, or Cricket Pavillion - and there are now big concernts being booked for the AZ Cardinal's stadium.

As for compact, urban cores - those are coming, they are not here today. But check back in 5 years time. If plans holdup, we can see some more high-rise development over here even.

Just like you have little reason to drive to the west valley, I myself can't remember the last time I needed to go anywhere in the SE valley for anything, other than Ikea.

I guess the point is, there's a lot emerging in the West Valley that will make it ever so much the equal of the East Valley. What makes this city great is that there is a lot to go and do, and you can do it by either staying in your immediate area, or driving across town for other events.

Both parts of town have their benefits.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 3:34 PM
Bleh.

While the rest of the west valley is growing, my neighborhood is not.

South Glendale - "Maryvale Terrace" a prime example of urban (or suburban) decay.

(yeah.. I know its an odd shot, I was bored though.)

And yes, I realize it doesn't show more than a single street. lol

Old Posted Nov 2, 2006, 3:51 PM

street shot

lol.. that is an odd shot. Did you drop on the road to take the pic? I hope you didn't get burnt by the hot asphalt. lol

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest