HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 8:32 PM

Apple expands in Austin

Quote:
November 20th 2019

Austin, Texas — Apple today announced the start of construction on its new campus in Austin, Texas, as part of its broad expansion in the city. At a production facility just a short distance away, Apple is preparing to ship the all-new Mac Pro to customers starting in December.

“Building the Mac Pro, Apple’s most powerful device ever, in Austin is both a point of pride and a testament to the enduring power of American ingenuity,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “With the construction of our new campus in Austin now underway, Apple is deepening our close bond with the city and the talented and diverse workforce that calls it home. Responsible for 2.4 million American jobs and counting, Apple is eager to write our next chapter here and to keep contributing to America’s innovation story.”
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2019/...nds-in-austin/

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
There is one "Austin" based Criminal Minds episode that includes a mountainous, desert landscape and a local sherrif that wears a Cowboy hat everywhere.
This is what the stupid idiots in hollywood always portray about EVERYONE in Texas. That we all wear cowboy hats -- and of course the other 100 year old wild west crap, like we all ride horses to get around, carry shotguns everywhere, etc. etc. I briefly lived in LA and was once asked if I ever attended cock fights! I was thinking WTFF!! COCK FIGHTS??? SERIOUSLY???!?!?! Ungh friggin dumbass

BTW, yeah also when they portray Texas they have NO clue about the topography here. 80% (or more) of the state doesn't have mountains and has no desert terrain. I remember when MTV outfitted that warehouse downtown near the Convention Center for a "Real World" taping, they planted all kinds of large cactus around the building with sand, etc. This isn't Arizona you ignorant NY whackjobs.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
So that everyone can see

HOLY MACKEREL!! This looks like something out of Blade Runner!

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Almost looks like they deconstructed the "spaceship" in California and rearranged it here linearly

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 5:28 PM

re: Apple... never really understood the attraction to build way out in the suburbs, especially since it's a lot of younger people that work, and will work, there.

They have plenty of money to build their own signature tower in the city proper.

Majority of younger people want an urban experience. Not a suburban drive in, drive out, sit in traffic every day.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 6:59 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
This is what the stupid idiots in hollywood always portray about EVERYONE in Texas. That we all wear cowboy hats -- and of course the other 100 year old wild west crap, like we all ride horses to get around, carry shotguns everywhere, etc. etc. I briefly lived in LA and was once asked if I ever attended cock fights! I was thinking WTFF!! COCK FIGHTS??? SERIOUSLY???!?!?! Ungh friggin dumbass

BTW, yeah also when they portray Texas they have NO clue about the topography here. 80% (or more) of the state doesn't have mountains and has no desert terrain. I remember when MTV outfitted that warehouse downtown near the Convention Center for a "Real World" taping, they planted all kinds of large cactus around the building with sand, etc. This isn't Arizona you ignorant NY whackjobs.

Which is why I've been railing against these developers that are rebuilding houses and ripping out what in many cases are natives and throwing rocks and cactus or one or two yuccas. It wipes out habitat for insects and birds.. I'm glad I'm not the only one taking issue with it. Also the National Wildflower Center's upcoming magazine will have an article about this very topic.

Rant over..

Old Posted Nov 22, 2019, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
re: Apple... never really understood the attraction to build way out in the suburbs, especially since it's a lot of younger people that work, and will work, there.

They have plenty of money to build their own signature tower in the city proper.

Majority of younger people want an urban experience. Not a suburban drive in, drive out, sit in traffic every day.
I think it has something to do with steve job's hippie lifestyle ideas....he would rather have his campus in a park-like setting with wide open green spaces. One of the reasons why lots of their stores are putting trees inside. Silly, i know. But that's Apple...and Steve Jobs. *shrug*

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
I think it has something to do with steve job's hippie lifestyle ideas....he would rather have his campus in a park-like setting with wide open green spaces. One of the reasons why lots of their stores are putting trees inside. Silly, i know. But that's Apple...and Steve Jobs. *shrug*
I don't think Steve Jobs is in charge at Apple anymore...

Apple is notoriously security conscious. I think they prefer to have greater control of who has access to their campuses than they perceive they would have in an urban mixed use environment.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:20 PM

Nice article showing just how many more skyscrapers are on the way for our boomtown.
https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...wn-austin.html

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 10:47 PM

It looks like the Wells Fargo motor bank at the southwest corner of 2nd and Brazos is now gone. There is a fence up around the site. Does anyone yet know what they plan to do there?

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
It looks like the Wells Fargo motor bank at the southwest corner of 2nd and Brazos is now gone. There is a fence up around the site. Does anyone yet know what they plan to do there?
Here's a photo of the site from about a month ago.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 11:50 PM
クラブトクヨ

Does anyone know what’s being built at Koenig and 290? Near ihop and radiant heating?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Does anyone know what’s being built at Koenig and 290? Near ihop and radiant heating?
See post #6406 in this thread.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 4:19 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
See post #6406 in this thread.
Thank you! I wasn’t expecting a retention pond.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Thank you! I wasn’t expecting a retention pond.
Boy, if I had a dollar every time I heard someone say that...

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post

I would say yes and no. There are some people that feel as you mentioned (including myself) but also many who prefer the suburbs for lower cost of living, particularly if they have families. I think the best approach is what Indeed is doing with multiple offices in different locations in the city.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Which is why I've been railing against these developers that are rebuilding houses and ripping out what in many cases are natives and throwing rocks and cactus or one or two yuccas. It wipes out habitat for insects and birds.. I'm glad I'm not the only one taking issue with it. Also the National Wildflower Center's upcoming magazine will have an article about this very topic.

Rant over..
If the area gets consistent sun it is ridiculously hard to maintain a rock xeriscape in Austin. The idea of avoiding a yard that requires dumping water into is a good idea, but a bed of rocks with zero vegetation is probably even more unnatural for the region.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 11:00 PM
Meh

111 Congress

There's this demo permit for the bank drive through.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyrsn=193132

The associated folders show it's for some kind of interior remodel.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...ertyRSN=193132

This says it's an interior remodel of their business/admin offices.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=3048694

Right of way permit for the sidewalk closed.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...rtyrsn=5292903

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 12:19 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by papertowelroll View Post
If the area gets consistent sun it is ridiculously hard to maintain a rock xeriscape in Austin. The idea of avoiding a yard that requires dumping water into is a good idea, but a bed of rocks with zero vegetation is probably even more unnatural for the region.
Exactly, there are areas that something like a rock garden works, but taking an entire yard and removing all plant life where water can soak into the ground and/or be distributed/slowed rather than washing away is not an environmentally conscious or friendly process. This is why the National Wildflower Center will be addressing this issue in their upcoming magazine. Using native species that are adapted even to our growing extreme climate conditions is the best and most environmentally effective solution. Even species that are native farther south are naturally moving up into our region can and should be used. Native yards require very little to no watering once established as well as little maintenance. They can also handle the periods where we see very heavy and prolonged rainfall as well and limit the amount of runoff.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I don't think Steve Jobs is in charge at Apple anymore...
He was when they were designing Apple Park in Cupertino.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin