HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 10:20 PM
Cat Enthusiast

Grand River Technology Park (right next to Barber Motorsports Park) is very well on its way to be properly graded and prepared for tenants that the City of Birmingham has been in talks with, essentially, since the announcement of the creation of the tech park.

Love the idea of the tech park, which Bessemmer had the funds and clout to build one around the Amazon Distribution Center.

Anyway, this is just another example of how Leeds is blasting on all cylinders. Grand River continues to develop residentially. Buc-ees's is going to be a HUGE pull that will bring additional traffic to Bass Pro; all of which will increase the prestige of Barber's racing events.

The metro area really needs the corridor between Birmingham and Atlanta to develop more to increase economic connections. The stronger the economic ties along the I-20 corridor are between the two cities the better.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Oct 25, 2019, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Grand River Technology Park (right next to Barber Motorsports Park) is very well on its way to be properly graded and prepared for tenants that the City of Birmingham has been in talks with, essentially, since the announcement of the creation of the tech park.

Love the idea of the tech park, which Bessemmer had the funds and clout to build one around the Amazon Distribution Center.

Anyway, this is just another example of how Leeds is blasting on all cylinders. Grand River continues to develop residentially. Buc-ees's is going to be a HUGE pull that will bring additional traffic to Bass Pro; all of which will increase the prestige of Barber's racing events.

The metro area really needs the corridor between Birmingham and Atlanta to develop more to increase economic connections. The stronger the economic ties along the I-20 corridor are between the two cities the better.
This development is inside the city limits of birmingham. The racetrack, the museum, the future home of the southern flight museum plus this tech park are all in birmingham..

Old Posted Oct 26, 2019, 1:31 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamerboy17 View Post
Anyone knows any updates on the AT&T former building downtown?
Nothing new that I've heard. Occasionally, the BBJ will mention the building in passing when covering redelopment north of the tracks. Corporate Realty has an excellent plan for the former Carraway campus!

Latest news on the former AT&T building is that it is still slated for a broad mixed use (which would likely be the of the fuse for the rest of the City Center). redevelopment. This NEEDS to happen. Birmingham's largest commercial building by SQ footage needs an occupant. With the World Games coming to town, it only makes sense to add hotel rooms and condos on this prime piece of realeastate that is SO close the the 59/20 viaduct, which will be completely reconstructed months before the Games.

I do believe we'll see I rise int he number of hotels being built between now and the World Games, and I'd be shocked if the former AT&T buildin didn't not play an important roll with providing hotel and meeting space.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2019, 12:43 AM

https://www.al.com/business/2019/11/...irmingham.html

Parkside district looking at major project!!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2019, 12:05 AM
Cat Enthusiast

BTW, I know where the Carvana facility is going to be built... but I can't disclose

All I can say is that it's in a great location in an area that needs this kind of stimulus for jobs and housing demand.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 9:41 PM
The Salty Ham

Quote:
I do believe we'll see I rise int he number of hotels being built between now and the World Games, and I'd be shocked if the former AT&T buildin didn't not play an important roll with providing hotel and meeting space.
I know mixed use is the buzz word that won't and shouldn't go away, but I would rather someone come in with the need for that much in office space and a new hotel be built somewhere else... like Uptown.

Anything is good though, so I definitely would rather something happen in any form or fashion rather than not.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2019, 9:41 PM

A tower crane is being erected down on the western end of railroad park and I can't see exactly where. I am thinking its for Bakers Row II.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2019, 6:16 PM
Cat Enthusiast

I'm in downtown right now at my office and I've got a great view of a crew and a chopper taking down the Wells Fargo logo to replace it with the Shipt logo! It'll be a nice, subtle, change for the skyline. Pretty much all of our tallest buildings will now have logos from only hometown companies.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2019, 12:31 AM
Burming Hammer

Tower crane for the development next to Bakers Row:

Avenue A Townhomes - looks like only 1 building under construction:

American Life renovation:

Also, the Wells Fargo sign is coming down to make way for Shipt:

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 9:27 PM

According to the Birmingham Business Journal (behind the paywall) A hotel developer is working to stabilize the Brown Marx Building downtown on 1st Avenue and 20th Street North. That will be one big hotel. I had previously heard the developer will probably do a full service Marriott at that site, but not sure I was not able to get behind the paywall.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 12:04 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
According to the Birmingham Business Journal (behind the paywall) A hotel developer is working to stabilize the Brown Marx Building downtown on 1st Avenue and 20th Street North. That will be one big hotel. I had previously heard the developer will probably do a full service Marriott at that site, but not sure I was not able to get behind the paywall.
I have a subscription, I'll check out the BBJ.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 12:16 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Quote:
I have a subscription, I'll check out the BBJ.
At present, the firm that owns the Brown-Marx Tower is Ascent Hospitality Management Co. LLC. The firm developed the Elyton Hotel and also acquired the "Allright Parking Deck" (I'm just guessing that it is the deck that is the deck on the other side of the parking lot next to Brown-Marx.)

'Ascent' is currently cleaning up Brown-Marx and working to stabilize the building. Of course, the is could mean anything. They could be doing this as a plan to sell, or as a plan to develop the building for a multitude of purposes.

For the article: LINK

Frankly, I think it is a good sign in general that a company is stabilizing the building for future use. It's means that businesspeople know that the building is worth something and are planning to make a buck by either selling it or redeveloping it.

Last edited by SpawnOfVulcan; Dec 3, 2019 at 12:25 AM. Reason: punctuation

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 3:10 AM

Quote:
At present, the firm that owns the Brown-Marx Tower is Ascent Hospitality Management Co. LLC. The firm developed the Elyton Hotel and also acquired the "Allright Parking Deck" (I'm just guessing that it is the deck that is the deck on the other side of the parking lot next to Brown-Marx.)

'Ascent' is currently cleaning up Brown-Marx and working to stabilize the building. Of course, the is could mean anything. They could be doing this as a plan to sell, or as a plan to develop the building for a multitude of purposes.

For the article: LINK

Frankly, I think it is a good sign in general that a company is stabilizing the building for future use. It's means that businesspeople know that the building is worth something and are planning to make a buck by either selling it or redeveloping it.
They bought the Allright Parking Deck on 19th Street and 1st Avenue North the 2 or 3 story one across 19th street from the Heritage Building and next door to the parking deck for I think National Bank of Commerce, the bank that is in the Woodward Building directly across the street from the Elyton. And thank you for the link!!

Last edited by Bamablazer; Dec 3, 2019 at 3:11 AM. Reason: thanking Spawn for the link.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 2:23 AM
Burming Hammer

a few updates from christmas day... a lot of cranes in parkside, but not much coming out of the ground yet.

Daniel Corp. Parkside Development (unnamed):

al.com article: Daniel Corp. begins construction on Parkside development

Foundry Yards (on the left - parking garage started):

bizjournals.com article: Developers break ground on luxury Parkside apartment community

Bakers Row II (on the right):

bizjournals.com article: Work to begin in summer on Baker's Row II

UAB Honors College (former Snoozy's Bookstore):

bizjournals.com article: UAB plans for prominent site move forward

UAB Dorm (unnamed):

Ascend:

al.com article: Construction starts on high-rise student housing

UAB Proton Center:

uab.edu article: Construction begins on state's first proton therapy center

UAB 1917 Clinic (former Baptist Health building):

bizjournals.com article: UAB eyes big lease at former Baptist Health HQ in Lakeview

as you can see, i stuck to the south end of town... will hit up north of the tracks next time.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2019, 7:56 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I love how Ascend is sprouting up in Five Points S. It is so prominent, especially when you are actually walking around the neighborhood.

I'd really like to see more highrises on the Southside.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2020, 4:36 AM

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:03 PM

3 mobile cranes are now at the new Protective Stadium site, 2 moving into place and the 3rd is being put together, and half dozen other pieces of equipment there also.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:09 PM

There are 3 new tower cranes on site down at Parkside; 1 for Foundry Yards, 1 for Bakers RowII and the 3rd for the Daniel property over on 3rd Avenue 14th Street South.
They have topped out at the Ascend apartment complex at Five Points South and are now putting up the siding for that building. They are working on the Macaroni Lofts and they should start work on Phase III of 20 Midtown on 20th Street South this month or next, with an increased number of units from 278 to 312.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2020, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamablazer View Post
There are 3 new tower cranes on site down at Parkside; 1 for Foundry Yards, 1 for Bakers RowII and the 3rd for the Daniel property over on 3rd Avenue 14th Street South.
They have topped out at the Ascend apartment complex at Five Points South and are now putting up the siding for that building. They are working on the Macaroni Lofts and they should start work on Phase III of 20 Midtown on 20th Street South this month or next, with an increased number of units from 278 to 312.
here is a link to the Protective Stadium EarthCam.
https://public.earthcam.net/Protecti...nd_street_view

Old Posted Jan 29, 2020, 9:24 PM
The Salty Ham

Did someone mention the proposed VA mental facility on the east side? I think they are taking down one of those ratty motels. That will be a good way to clean up that side of town and spur new development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast