HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
He's Gregor 2.0, without the PR. Honestly I'm not sure what he's doing, unless it's "working hard behind the scenes".

The council is a bit of a basket case though, some real nuts on both sides of the political spectrum.

With all of that said, it's pretty much business as usual, a continuation of where were were at. Their first budget had a significant tax hike though, they can't keep doing that.
Behind the scenes.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
He's Gregor 2.0, without the PR. Honestly I'm not sure what he's doing, unless it's "working hard behind the scenes".

The council is a bit of a basket case though, some real nuts on both sides of the political spectrum.

With all of that said, it's pretty much business as usual, a continuation of where were were at. Their first budget had a significant tax hike though, they can't keep doing that.
Its rare that we completely agree.

Taxs have been rising 2-3x faster than inflation which is insane.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
Behind the scenes.
He has been doing a lot of behind the scenes meetings as far as I know. He has done a great job of reaching out to and being accommodating of meeting requests from the business community. I have to assume that accommodation goes to other groups I am less familiar with as well.

Gregor on the other hand would pass those meetings off to his councilors, he was very much an absentee mayor.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Behind the scenes.
Any proof? I mean what specifically has he accomplished that we wouldn't otherwise get? It's not like there have been landmark achievements so far.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
He has been doing a lot of behind the scenes meetings as far as I know. He has done a great job of reaching out to and being accommodating of meeting requests from the business community. I have to assume that accommodation goes to other groups I am less familiar with as well.

Gregor on the other hand would pass those meetings off to his councilors, he was very much an absentee mayor.
I have noticed that he will sometimes speak up about things that he really shouldn't know about unless he learned of it in a secret conversation that was not made public. For instance he got fed up and warned Council that if they tried to delay rezoning Broadway the province and feds would pull Broadway funding, something that has not been said stated publicly by Horgan or Trudeau. I know there has been a little public criticism of Vancouver's NIMBYISM by Horgan but he's never publicly threatened to pull Broadway funding so unless Stewart was full of hot air its obvious he's had some conversations we're not privy to. Given how fast Council shut up I suspect this has been discussed with them in private.

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Any proof? I mean what specifically has he accomplished that we wouldn't otherwise get? It's not like there have been landmark achievements so far.
How would I prove behind the scenes stuff with staff and council?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2019, 9:39 PM

Quote:
How would I prove behind the scenes stuff with staff and council?
How would you know it's happening?

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Hmm, I didn't vote for Kennedy but I would say he's doing a decent job so far.

The business community at large doesn't seem to have a big problem with him so far either.

All in all I'd say he hasn't been perfect but he's been a pleasant surprise so far.
I think it is more a sense that there doesn't seem to be an overaching vision (oops) for the council. Understandable because it's divided, but it could be acting more forcefully on some things, ie "community garden" tax exemptions, that are just mused about.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2019, 9:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I think it is more a sense that there doesn't seem to be an overaching vision (oops) for the council. Understandable because it's divided, but it could be acting more forcefully on some things, ie "community garden" tax exemptions, that are just mused about.
I think they current Council are trying to get the current system of reclassification to 'recreational property' changed. (Back in 2009 a previous Council decided not to change the current system).

Councillor Fry put a motion to Council in June, and staff have been directed to report back before the end of the year. Among other aspects they've been asked to outline whether they've made any progress in consultations with the Province, and BC Assessment, who determine what classification a piece of land falls within.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 8:42 PM
BANNED

The NDP solution to affordability is of course to make everyone poor. Let’s see how many people are willing to re-elect a NDP mayor after this. Personally I like Stewart and would be open to vote for him if he wasn't putting in more taxes, this increase is ridiculous.

Last edited by misher; Dec 2, 2019 at 8:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:21 PM
Ferris Wheel Hater

These increases wouldn't be nearly this large if the city stuck to doing only what they should be doing. As great as housing the homeless and building childcare centres etc are those are not civic jurisdictions. The upper governments are neglecting their responsibilities and the city for whatever reason is taking the bait and picking up the slack. Maybe the city can buy some ships for the coast guard next year.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
The NDP solution to affordability is of course to make everyone poor. Let’s see how many people are willing to re-elect a NDP mayor after this. Personally I like Stewart and would be open to vote for him if he wasn't putting in more taxes, this increase is ridiculous.
Doesn't it average out on the higher end to be about $35 a month extra?

Old Posted Dec 2, 2019, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
These increases wouldn't be nearly this large if the city stuck to doing only what they should be doing. As great as housing the homeless and building childcare centres etc are those are not civic jurisdictions. The upper governments are neglecting their responsibilities and the city for whatever reason is taking the bait and picking up the slack. Maybe the city can buy some ships for the coast guard next year.
Definitely, although the investments on infrastructure on the Metro Vancouver side are probably warranted. Bad timing that both hit at once.

Cities can't afford housing, that's on the ridiculous side.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2019, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlousa View Post
Agreed, like a bunch of wannabe federal/provincial politicians taking on the battles of said federal/provincial jurisdiction(s). Why pony up city cash?

What happened to a city council where civic minded people grouped up to manage and build the city...

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 8:09 AM

Vancouver councillor Rebecca Bligh resigns from NPA over alleged anti-SOGI board members

Quote:
Vancouver city Coun. Rebecca Bligh has stepped down from the Non-Partisan Association (NPA) over concerns at least one newly-elected board member for the party has ties to the anti-SOGI movement.

In a statement released Friday, Bligh said she will continue to sit on council as an independent.

“In light of the newly elected executive to the NPA Board having any affiliation with anti-SOGI is against the core values that I hold dear to my heart,” she said.

“There is no debate when it comes to inclusion.”

Bligh went on to note there’s a “clear line” between the board and the NPA caucus, which includes four other city councillors, two park board commissioners and three Vancouver School Board trustees.

“My fellow members of the NPA Caucus and our supporters are aligned with our values that we share when it comes to inclusion and we support SOGI and the LGBTQ2+ community,” she said.

Other NPA councillors who spoke with Global News said they have concerns about the right-leaning views of several new board members, including former Rebel Media personality Christopher Wilson and Ryan Warawa, who’s listed as the president of the B.C. Conservatives on the party’s website.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 4:44 PM

The NPA sure knows how to shoot itself in the foot. Did nobody watch the recent federal campaign? Lots of lessons to learn in terms of where Canada's voting public is at.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
The NPA sure knows how to shoot itself in the foot. Did nobody watch the recent federal campaign? Lots of lessons to learn in terms of where Canada's voting public is at.
Yeah they definitely didn't seem to pick up on why Canadians turned their backs on Scheer. To take this kind of tack in Vancouver is idiotic.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2019, 6:35 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Yep the NPA is supposed to be ideologically closest to progressive conservatives do a lot of their membership won’t be happy to see this. Personally I think SOGI is poorly planned but being against it is career suicide.

Old Posted Dec 8, 2019, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Yep the NPA is supposed to be ideologically closest to progressive conservatives do a lot of their membership won’t be happy to see this. Personally I think SOGI is poorly planned but being against it is career suicide.
Ya they are the right wing in Vancouver, so heavy on the Progressive side of the right. This move is a fail. I predict we'll see more resignations by sitting Councillors unless they make some changes.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2019, 3:25 AM

Most of the NPA's Council members might be semi-progressive, but much of the voting base and party seems to be reactionary... that said, it's definitely a dumb idea to shift further right, where all they're doing is marginalizing themselves.

So are we looking at a centre-right splinter faction, or a bunch of independents? And would the current councilors survive, or get kicked out by an electorate that just ticks any box with "NPA" on it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Politics