Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 2:59 AM

Lightbulb HOUSTON | Innovation Tower | FT | 48 FLOORS

Developer: Medistar
Architect: Gensler
Type: Medical, Multifamily, Retail
Construction Timeline: 3Q 2019 Start - Completion

Medistar to develop health care tower in Texas Medical Center

The article says 25-stories but the renderings suggest something a bit taller. For reference the apartment tower below is 423' ft. The Best Western on site will be demolished.

Quote:
Houston-based Medistar will develop a roughly 25-story health care tower in the Texas Medical Center – right across the street from the dual hotel-multifamily development the company's currently building.

The health care-focused developer will break ground on the 550,000-square-foot health care tower in the second or third quarter of 2018, Monzer Hourani, CEO of Medistar, told the Houston Business Journal. Medistar is in talks with several health care systems, including Houston and out-of-town systems, to occupy the building. By the time the building breaks ground, Medistar will have secured a user, Hourani said.

"The number one medical center in the world has to have the number one infrastructure to serve it," Hourani said.

Kirksey designed the tower's exterior. A general contractor hasn't been selected. Financial partners or the cost of the project weren't disclosed.

Previous design:

Last edited by Urbannizer; Mar 19, 2019 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2017, 11:21 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

This is an example of how tight the market is getting in the med center, just squeezing this one in! Barely any space left! Handsome building.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2017, 5:30 PM

This article says 33-stories which is more in line with the renderings.

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/11/...n-main-street/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2019, 9:47 PM

Now a 48-story, mixed-use tower. Will become the tallest high-rise in the Texas Medical Center.

48-story mixed-use tower to rise in Texas Medical Center

Quote:
Houston-based Medistar Corp. is expected to begin construction on its next tower in the Texas Medical Center area around the end of the third quarter of 2019, according to a press release from Houston-based Transwestern.

Transwestern Executive Vice President Justin Brasell and Senior Vice President Lisa Bovermann are handling health care leasing for the project, dubbed Innovation Tower, per the release.

Plans for the medical tower first emerged in November 2017. However, as expected, much has changed since then.

Phase 1 of Innovation Tower will contain 476,500 square feet of medical and life science office space above a 1,700-vehicle parking garage, per the release. There will also be retail space and a penthouse-level restaurant and lounge. The building is outside the bounds of the Texas Medical Center, which restricts for-profit businesses from operating in nonprofit hospital complexes, Medistar CEO Monzer Hourani told the Houston Business Journal in 2017.

The development of Innovation Tower's second phase will depend on market demands. Phase 2 could include 410 luxury high-rise residential units or additional medical, biomedical and life science office space, per the Transwestern release.

Eventually, the tower is expected to be 48 stories and 1.6 million square feet, per the release.

Innovation Tower will be built at 6700 Main St
., the site of a SureStay Plus Hotel by Best Western that Medistar bought around 2006 or so, Hourani told HBJ previously. The tower will be connected via a skybridge to Medistar's joint hotel-multifamily development across the street. The Intercontinental Houston Medical Center at 6750 Main St. opened earlier this year, and the attached Greystar apartment development, dubbed Latitude Med Center, at 1850 Old Main St. welcomed its first residents last summer.

Once completed, Innovation Tower will be the first Class AA tower in the Texas Medical Center offering world-class building amenities to create a distinct live/work/play environment,” Transwestern’s Brasell said in the release. “Innovation Tower will be an iconic building and great complement to the Texas Medical Center."

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 12:58 AM

Looks like something out of Austin, I love it.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
Tbh, it looks higher quality than that. Looks like something that could have been built in Chicago in the last 10 years. Impressive stuff for Houston.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2019, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
Tbh, it looks higher quality than that. Looks like something that could have been built in Chicago in the last 10 years. Impressive stuff for Houston.
Austin has some high quality projects as well but I do agree it does look like something from Chicago as well.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 6:39 AM

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 2:35 PM
Never Dell

That's a nice looking tower and great density for the TMC...and holy moly the amount of parking.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
holy moly the amount of parking.
Lots of sick people.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 4:16 AM
Back from the dead

I don't mean to be "that guy" but, uh, what's what here? The article at the top and the rendering seem to be of two different buildings. That wouldn't be so difficult to parse except that there's a picture of a half-finished building in the middle.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 5:20 AM
Dryer lint inspector

The building under construction (now since finished) is a separate project but still physically attached to this one somehow. The phase I is the first 20 or so stories. Phase II is the skinner portion built on top.

There is another building shown across the street in one of those renderings but that belongs to Texas Children's and is also now completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbao58 View Post
Lots of sick people.
No kidding. There are 250,000 (patients, students, employees) in the TMC at any given work day. Parking is an absolute must and is at a huge premium. There is a light rail and park and ride but the vast majority still need to drive. For obvious reasons...

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 2:36 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowerSpotter View Post
We're really comparing Austin skyscrapers to Houston skyscrapers? lol Come on.... just look downtown Houston. Houston is miles ahead of Austin. The Independent in Austin is about as close as it gets currently in design to anything in Houston.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
The Independent in Austin is about as close as it gets currently in design to anything in Houston.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool Houstonian. That said, I don't think there is much of anything in Houston that I find as interesting as this (see photo).
In fact, I'm beginning to get really bored with what's being built and/or proposed there. Can only hope the Ismaili Center turns out spectacularly.

Jenga!
by bill barfield, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 11, 2019, 10:37 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by texboy View Post
We're really comparing Austin skyscrapers to Houston skyscrapers? lol Come on.... just look downtown Houston. Houston is miles ahead of Austin. The Independent in Austin is about as close as it gets currently in design to anything in Houston.
He's saying that one building resembles some of the stuff built in Austin. Which i agree with. Houston lacks tall glass residential buildings. This proposal is/ would be the closest thing we would have here to Austin's newer development.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 4:36 AM

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 5:37 PM

I want this built. The TMC needs the height this beautiful building will provide.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 6:34 PM
Ω

Damn, that's massive. I wish the balconies were inset throughout rather than jutting out.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2019, 8:47 PM
Chairman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
Damn, that's massive. I wish the balconies were inset throughout rather than jutting out.
I agree with your comment about the balconies.

-sb

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals