Charlotte & Indianapolis 8 12.70%
Denver & Minneapolis 18 28.57%
St. Louis & Memphis 4 6.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:24 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Ha..Reading this invoked a visual.A great lakes flotilla. Chicago would be the aircraft carrier.
ah, yeah i guess in a classic fleet setup.

although i think the midwest would be a battleship battlegroup sans carrier with a lumbering almost excessively long iowa class battleship as chicago.

cdn10.picryl.com

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

We never had battleships on the great lakes (too big to get through the seaway), but we did have two training aircraft carriers on the lakes during WWII that were converted from old paddle wheel steamers built on the lakes.

The US Navy needed a way to qualify pilots for deck landings, and the great lakes were seen as the perfect body of water to simulate an ocean environment for carrier training, while still keeping the ships safe from enemy submarine attack.

The bottom of lake michigan is littered with hundreds of WWII fighter planes that didn't make it onto the deck.

USS Sable

Source: wikipedia

Last edited by Steely Dan; Mar 31, 2021 at 2:47 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 2:36 PM

heres the shipwreck of the ww2 uss inaugural at st louis. at low winter river levels you can walk up to it sometimes - i have a photo of myself hanging out by it. theres some small cruisers that docked at st louis during ww1 i believe for recruitment. nothing to the extent of what was able to get into the great lakes but its kind of interesting that there was/is technically a seaport in missouri of all places.

atlas-assets.roadtrippers.com

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Because what is there to talk about?

DC is an imperial capital. It grew/became rich because of U.S. postwar hegemony. It houses the largest federal apparatus in global history.
^^^^EXACTLY what I was thinking! People who don't follow history don't realize that a lot of the cities in the U.S. will still be here long after there's a "United" States but DC will most likely not be one of them (Newsflash! Countries, governments, States, don't last forever and most don't last much past 200 years! Even European countries have had several governments and state structures come and go over their history). If there's a historical comparison to DC it would be Carthage. Today you can see the ruins in modern day Tunisia. When a city's sole purpose for existence is to extrapolate from the governed- it never has a long term future in historical terms. This is not a political statement but merely a historical observation.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:14 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
^^^^EXACTLY what I was thinking! People who don't follow history don't realize that a lot of the cities in the U.S. will still be here long after there's a "United" States but DC will most likely not be one of them (Newsflash! Countries, governments, States, don't last forever and most don't last much past 200 years! Even European countries have had several governments and state structures come and go over their history). If there's a historical comparison to DC it would be Carthage. Today you can see the ruins in modern day Tunisia. When a city's sole purpose for existence is to extrapolate from the governed- it never has a long term future in historical terms. This is not a political statement but merely a historical observation.
Rome, Constantinople, London, Paris, Beijing, among many others are great counterexamples to your point here. Once a city reaches a critical mass of size, it doesn’t really matter what the original raisin d’etre was for founding they can find other means of survival.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Rome, Constantinople, London, Paris, Beijing, among many others are great counterexamples to your point here. Once a city reaches a critical mass of size, it doesn’t really matter what the original raisin d’etre was for founding they can find other means of survival.
Those were/are all human settlements that developed into seats of government. Washington is the opposite.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 3:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
The quickest and simplest way to get a sense for the relative sizes of pre-war areas is to look at metro area population figures from before the war.

1930 metro area population:
  1. New York ---- 10,901,000
  2. Chicago ------- 4,365,000
  3. Philadelphia ---- 2,847,000
  4. Boston -------- 2,308,000
  5. Detroit -------- 2,105,000
  6. Pittsburgh ----- 1,954,000
  7. St. Louis ------ 1,294,000
  8. San Francisco - 1,290,000
  9. Cleveland ------ 1,195,000
  10. Montreal ------- 1,023,000
  11. Baltimore -------- 949,000
  12. Minneapolis ------ 832,000
  13. Buffalo ---------- 821,000
  14. Toronto --------- 810,000

So toronto was certainly a "big city" back then, but in a different class than chicago.

Additionally, toronto's impressive commuter rail system has mostly been built up in the post-war era, so you don't find nearly as much of that older pre-war railroad suburbia like you see in chicagoland.
You forgot metro Los Angeles, which in 1930, already had 2,208,492 people (LA County population), which would put it above Detroit and below Boston in 1930. And interestingly (for me, anyway), that would mean that in 1930, LA County's residents comprised 39% of California's total population.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I could see DC going the Vienna route were the US to no longer exist: No longer the seat of an empire, it'd likely wind up a regional capital with an outsized grandeur.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
You forgot metro Los Angeles, which in 1930, already had 2,208,492 people (LA County population), which would put it above Detroit and below Boston in 1930. And interestingly (for me, anyway), that would mean that in 1930, LA County's residents comprised 39% of California's total population.
Yeah, I was wondering where LA was on this list. I knew it'd certainly be in the top 10 by 1930.

In looking around online, I found this list of the largest metro areas by decade, and it is not at all the same one that Steely posted Here's the 1930 list:

Rank Metro Area Pop
1. New York 8667
2. Chicago 3718
3. Philadelphia 2264
4. Detroit 1721
5. Los Angeles 1617
6. Boston 1479
7. San Francisco 996
8. Cleveland 976
9. Pittsburgh 960
10. St. Louis 950
11. Baltimore 836
12. Minneapolis 753
13. Buffalo 620
14. Milwaukee 615
15. Cincinnati 580

https://www.peakbagger.com/pbgeog/histmetropop.aspx

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
Yeah, I was wondering where LA was on this list. I knew it'd certainly be in the top 10 by 1930.

In looking around online, I found this list of the largest metro areas by decade, and it is not at all the same one that Steely posted Here's the 1930 list:

Rank Metro Area Pop
1. New York 8667
2. Chicago 3718
3. Philadelphia 2264
4. Detroit 1721
5. Los Angeles 1617
6. Boston 1479
7. San Francisco 996
8. Cleveland 976
9. Pittsburgh 960
10. St. Louis 950
11. Baltimore 836
12. Minneapolis 753
13. Buffalo 620
14. Milwaukee 615
15. Cincinnati 580

https://www.peakbagger.com/pbgeog/histmetropop.aspx
st louis is definitely off there, the population doesn't correspond to anything im aware of. 821k in st louis city + st. louis county had 210k. also however many on the east side - east st. louis proper was 75k but there were many smaller industrial satellites in illinois. i can easily get the population to 1.2 million with low hanging fruit - these are areas all connected by electrified rail or commuter rail.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
That's pretty normal for Times Square. It's not what would be considered a busy day. Times Square is typically so congested on a normal day that it pushes many pedestrians into the street, particularly if you're walking on 42nd Street between 7th and 8th avenues. I didn't witness that same level of congestion in Shibuya, or anywhere else in Tokyo.
Maybe we just went at different times. Though even in that photo MonkeyRonin posted, you can see visible breaks and filtering out of pedestrian volumes, which I experienced in Times Square. And I'm also not arguing it wasn't that busy - it was - just many places in Tokyo I felt like exceeded it and Manhattan more generally. Even the comparison in the photos show a clear, seemingly unending pedestrian crush at Shibuya whereas Times Square has the aforementioned breaks.

I'm sure there's specific peak times in Manhattan that are busier (rush hour, lunch, etc) but Tokyo is just busy all the time - well at least until the transit shuts down at midnight. The only place that felt underwhelming in pedestrian volumes in Tokyo for me was Akihabara and I'm pretty sure that was only because it was pouring rain when I was there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
I agree with everything stated here. I've been to hundreds of cities where English is not widely spoken and where caucasians like myself are virtually absent, and I don't believe it played a role on my appraisals. Seoul is denser but it did not feel denser than the densest parts of Tokyo. Ditto for Shanghai, and other big Asian cities that I have spent considerable time in.
Yeah. Seoul was interesting because its vernacular was more oriented towards towers throughout the area vs Tokyo. It was also a very busy city, no doubt, but perhaps more on par with New York.

Quote:
I don't know what Myeondong in Seoul is like on a normal day, but I was there on Christmas Day a couple of years ago and it was insanely crowded. It was definitely as congested as Times Square at its worst. Definitely far worse than Tokyo.

Photo credit mine
Myeongdong is probably the busiest pedestrian area in Seoul (at least in my experience). Hongdae, Seoul Station, Itaewon, the Buenos Aires-like Gwanghwamun area, Insadong, Dongdaemun, etc are all busy too, though not to the extent of Myeongdong. Myeongdong (and maybe Hongdae) are the only places that felt Tokyo-like in intensity (and inside Seoul Station), whereas Tokyo has it all over the place. Ginza, Shibuya, Harajuku, Omotesando, Shinjuku, Shimokita, Skytree, Asakusa, Roppongi, etc.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Those were/are all human settlements that developed into seats of government. Washington is the opposite.
Now that I think about it, is DC the best-planned capital in the world? I'm thinking Canberra and Brasilia...which both suck. Is there a better-planned capital out there?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Now that I think about it, is DC the best-planned capital in the world? I'm thinking Canberra and Brasilia...which both suck. Is there a better-planned capital out there?
i mean...the OG paris? vienna?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Maybe we just went at different times. Though even in that photo MonkeyRonin posted, you can see visible breaks and filtering out of pedestrian volumes, which I experienced in Times Square. And I'm also not arguing it wasn't that busy - it was - just many places in Tokyo I felt like exceeded it and Manhattan more generally. Even the comparison in the photos show a clear, seemingly unending pedestrian crush at Shibuya whereas Times Square has the aforementioned breaks.

I'm sure there's specific peak times in Manhattan that are busier (rush hour, lunch, etc) but Tokyo is just busy all the time - well at least until the transit shuts down at midnight. The only place that felt underwhelming in pedestrian volumes in Tokyo for me was Akihabara and I'm pretty sure that was only because it was pouring rain when I was there.
I guess it's fair to agree to disagree. Shibuya is extremely busy, yes, but it's not as dense as Times Square, just like Tokyo isn't as dense as Manhattan.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 6:55 PM

Quote:
D.C. is probably the oldest. Ottawa? I've never been, but I'm sure it's lovely.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 7:15 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Maybe St. Petersburg? (even though it's no longer the capital of Russia).

Quite a few "older" cities are also purpose-built capitals, like Istanbul (Constantinople) and Baghdad. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ional_capitals

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 7:26 PM
video et taceo

Quote:
Ottawa is more Madison-tier. St. Petersburg and DC are probably the two greatest from-the-ground-up capital cities.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 8:37 PM

Washington DC wasn't considered a grand city until fairly recently (like within the last 50 or 60 years or so). Despite being the capital of the US, it was considered a backwater (cultural and otherwise) compared with the other already established US cities. For a good part of the 1800s, DC still had dirt roads; definitely not on par with world capitals of the 19th century.

Washington DC, 1830s

Southwest DC in the 1930s

And of course in the mid-20th Century, it also went through a so-called Urban Renewal program, which removed sections like the one above, displacing many lower-income people of color. In the 1950s, sections of Pennsylvania Avenue were considered blighted, and people also thought the streetcar tracks were ugly.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Ottawa wasn't a planned Capital..It was a compromise over the other cities which were squabbling over which one should be the Capital.+ it was strategically more difficult to invade. Mother Queen Victoria had a hand in ending the dispute by chosing the outlier, Ottawa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
ah, yeah i guess in a classic fleet setup.

although i think the midwest would be a battleship battlegroup sans carrier with a lumbering almost excessively long iowa class battleship as chicago.
Yes, metaphorically The Great Lakes Flotilla would be impressive as a battle ship group. Each metro representing a class of ship.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2021, 9:03 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
No, they’re all places that were meaningless settlements prior to being seats of government.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions