HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:27 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
You've seen them?
Not all but several.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:04 PM

^^^ Any idea on the time line on this? Particularly when can we expect to see some development starting?

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 2:37 PM

The staggered, angled thing then I guess. Almost reminds me of a "towers in the park" or "suburban projects" type thing. Hopefully the buildings are nice and the spaces in between well used.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:14 PM
BANNED

I am looking forward to this.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
^^^ Any idea on the time line on this? Particularly when can we expect to see some development starting?
This year will be testing and pre-work, shovels to go in the ground spring 2018. They expect a 20 year build-out of both sites (Railside + Parcel 4), making a building or two each year. It will start right beside citytv and slowly work north over time.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 3:48 PM
BANNED

Unacceptable. A project like Ciyplace in Toronto, sure, but something on this scale? Come on, this is a five year project.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:02 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Projects are developed based on need not schedule. Can't have buildings sitting empty for years.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:06 PM

For what it's worth, The Forks has always moved fairly slowly but to their credit, they haven't had many missteps. Also, even a couple of new buildings will make quite a difference in how that part of the area feels.

Nice thing about holding out a while is that they could always go bigger down the line if demand increases.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:07 PM

I agree that it's a little long, but it also could be sped up easily if the need/desire for the developments grows faster than expected. The main reason they've projected this is because it's being subdivided, rather than just build 20 of the same building like it's in Linden Woods. It will make for a much more diverse and interesting area. Also, better to under-promise and over-deliver.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 4:14 PM
Speak the truth, then run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Unacceptable. A project like Ciyplace in Toronto, sure, but something on this scale? Come on, this is a five year project.
The condo market here isn't as hot. Not with other condo tower projects being built.

So you build the first condo tower and sell units with nice uninterrupted views on all sides. THEN you build another tower next to it. With nice uninterrupted views on three sides. THEN you build the next tower on the other side....

(I recall a new condo development downtown around 15 or 20 years ago with nice river views. And almost immediately another condo development blocked the view. There was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth. I knew someone in the Rideau Tower who was really upset by Fort Garry Place blocking his view.)

Old Posted Mar 27, 2017, 8:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Projects are developed based on need not schedule. Can't have buildings sitting empty for years.
Based on this location, rental units and condos would move faster than any other area of downtown IMO.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 12:48 AM

I'm concerned the noise from the trains right next to this development may limit its appeal.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 3:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
I'm concerned the noise from the trains right next to this development may limit its appeal.
You can barely hear the trains passing by when walking along Waterfront Drive (or Israel Asper Way, or whatever it's called now) at The Forks. I can't imagine that it would be much of an issue.

There's a pretty loud squeal when the trains round the curve by Canwest Park, but that's not a problem that will have much of an effect on this project.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 4:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
There's several condos and a housing development along Taylor right by the tracks, and on Sterling Lyon. Fort Rouge Yards is built along a BRT and train line. Non-issue IMO. People live all along freeways in NA which are much louder.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 5:21 AM
surely you agree with me

It won't be a 20 year build out. Railside will happen quickly in my opinion. There is very strong developer interest. Hopefully the City follows shortly with Parcel Four.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
It won't be a 20 year build out. Railside will happen quickly in my opinion. There is very strong developer interest. Hopefully the City follows shortly with Parcel Four.
hints if there will be any 3 bedroom places? i'd love to live there while my kids in late teens early 20's.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2017, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
hints if there will be any 3 bedroom places? i'd love to live there while my kids in late teens early 20's.
This is a great idea.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Is there some kind of site map that the public can look at? I imagine Fort Gibraltar Trail will remain a road to provide access to parking immediately next to the tracks, while the Esplanade Riel walkway will become some kind of promenade with retail spaces?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 4:20 PM

I would hope there are 3 bedrooms. But I'm not sure if it's even gotten to that point yet. The developer RFP that just closed likely has more info on what the buildings would look like, what type of suites, etc.

Also, I don't think there's anything out to the public yet on the new layouts..

Edit: This looks to have the latest info, but no site plan I can see. It does show the smaller 6 storey buildings, with shoe store and a bar.
http://www.railsideattheforks.com/developer-information

Old Posted Mar 29, 2017, 5:55 PM

Looks like they want to open little retail spaces under the tracks. That's pretty cool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan