HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

432 Park Avenue in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLksuGUY View Post
I like this tower a lot, but the sad part is that the Drake Hotel wasn't demolished for the tower itself, but rather for the lowrise podium/retail component - essentially for the Park Avenue address and the associated zoning bonuses.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 7:25 PM

The site looks very clean for a construction site. When will we see vertical progress?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 9:27 PM
JACKinBeantown

The diagram for this building bothers me. Not the craftsmanship, it's nice, but the scale... it's too skinny. I propose that the one by Sebastian K on this link be used until someone creates one that more closely exemplifies the final product.

http://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?buildingID=94370

On a related note, I did a very rough comparison using Google Maps, and it seems that this building will be about 1.5 times as wide as the top portion of One57.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
Come As You Are

I like the one by STR because the horizontal strips on this tower kinda bother me.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
The diagram for this building bothers me. Not the craftsmanship, it's nice, but the scale... it's too skinny. I propose that the one by Sebastian K on this link be used until someone creates one that more closely exemplifies the final product.

On a related note, I did a very rough comparison using Google Maps, and it seems that this building will be about 1.5 times as wide as the top portion of One57.
they need to change the height from 1379 feet to 1398 feet on those diagrams

Old Posted Sep 14, 2012, 2:49 PM

Small footprint for such a tall building. Looking forward to it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 5:27 PM

[QUOTE=Towersteve;5827240]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post

I'm sorry I don't follow. If the antenna is not counted as a spire 1 WTC will have a foor height of 1,373 feet. Lower than 432 Park.
Yeah, that is what I said... 432 Park will be the 2nd tallest in the USA and the tallest in New York.

What I "personally believe" has nothing to do with it. There is an origination that determines the height of buildings and if antenna count and 1WTC has an antenna, not a spire. It will be ruled as such upon completion.

Anyway, the height is nice, and maybe the materials and detailing will blow us away. I am not holding my breath, but maybe...

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 5:44 PM

Am I the only one who finds it disrespectful to steal the height from 1wtc?

It won't even be open for 2 years before this pencil stick of tower steals the height away, I find it disrespectful.

It's just a boring way to thin tower.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 5:49 PM

New York has over a century's worth of tradition of pushing skyscraper heights to their limits. If anything, it would be disrespectful to the city if 1 WTC somehow put a halt to that.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Am I the only one who finds it disrespectful to steal the height from 1wtc?

It won't even be open for 2 years before this pencil stick of tower steals the height away, I find it disrespectful.

It's just a boring way to thin tower.
how is it disrespectful? If they wanted 1wtc to be taller and be the tallest in the city for a while, they would have made it taller, yes im sure if it were designed today it would be much taller, but it is what it is

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 5:13 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post

I guess I need to give you a math lesson. The tower has a height to width ratio of 19:1. So, at 420 meters tall (the height of the drawing illustrators can upload, ask an editor why that number is used, I have no idea) that will make it approximately 22 meters wide. I made my drawing at an exact 45 degree angle. A square turned at a 45 degree angle increases the width by approximately 40%. The APPARENT width would therefore be approximately 31 meters. In the diagrams each meter is represented by 1 pixel. My drawing is of course 420 pixels high, and in fact it is 38 pixels wide, so if anything it is still TOO WIDE to be entirely realistic. The other drawings are even wider still.

To summarize, your statement about the drawing being too skinny is just plain wrong. It is actually too fat! Any truly accurate drawing would have to be even more skinny than mine is. Good luck to all the illustrators out there... Additionally, a drawing 432 pixels tall (which it should be) will cause a slight increase in the width, 32 pixels wide at the absolute maximum, or a minimum of 23 pixels if you make you drawing face-on to one of the sides.

A side note to the editors - If the height truly is 432 meters, why is the height of the drawing we can upload only 420 meters?

Last edited by koops65; Sep 16, 2012 at 5:27 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 5:15 AM
Mr. Technology

Please stop hijacking this thread about a spire on another tower.

I seriously hope that 432 Park Avenue will not have a spire.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 5:21 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Agreed. I would like to see updates on 432 Park.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I guess I need to give you a math lesson. The tower has a height to width ratio of 19:1. So, at 420 meters tall (the height of the drawing illustrators can upload, ask an editor why that number is used, I have no idea) that will make it approximately 22 meters wide. I made my drawing at an exact 45 degree angle. A square turned at a 45 degree angle increases the width by approximately 40%. The APPARENT width would therefore be approximately 31 meters. In the diagrams each meter is represented by 1 pixel. My drawing is of course 420 pixels high, and in fact it is 38 pixels wide, so if anything it is still TOO WIDE to be entirely realistic. The other drawings are even wider still.

To summarize, your statement about the drawing being too skinny is just plain wrong. It is actually too fat! Any truly accurate drawing would have to be even more skinny than mine is. Good luck to all the illustrators out there... Additionally, a drawing 432 pixels tall (which it should be) will cause a slight increase in the width, 32 pixels wide at the absolute maximum, or a minimum of 23 pixels if you make you drawing face-on to one of the sides.

A side note to the editors - If the height truly is 432 meters, why is the height of the drawing we can upload only 420 meters?
Thanks for the math lesson.

Here's mine: 1398 / 93.5 = 14.95

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 12:00 PM
Bionic Boogie

today 9/16/2012 8:00 am

Untitled-1 copy by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 12:52 PM

I don't want to burst everyones' bubble here but if we don't see a crane being set up within the next 30 days my guess is that this project will be stalled, like many others have, due to lack of "financing". I've seen this trend too many times...you only need to compare this site to those buidlings that ARE constructed (regardless of height) to see how fast cranes go up once the foundations are cleard like this project. No crane in 30 days = stalled indefinitely!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 1:33 PM
Bionic Boogie

You might be right......it looks almost deserted.
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 1:35 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleonzo View Post
I don't want to burst everyones' bubble here but if we don't see a crane being set up within the next 30 days my guess is that this project will be stalled, like many others have, due to lack of "financing". I've seen this trend too many times...you only need to compare this site to those buidlings that ARE constructed (regardless of height) to see how fast cranes go up once the foundations are cleard like this project. No crane in 30 days = stalled indefinitely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
Financing all lined up. I'll post the article later.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 1:39 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...TATE/309169970

Slim supply gives condo prices new pop
Record rents, low interest rates help pump up market.

By Amanda Fung
September 16, 2012

Quote:

Late last month, the developers of what will be the city's tallest residential spire, now rising on Park Avenue, submitted a plan to increase asking prices for its 128 condominiums to an average of $5,800 per square foot. Not only is that a double-digit hike from the original price set just two months earlier, it comes three years before the 1,398-foot tower is scheduled to be completed.

According to the filing with the state attorney general's office, a one-bedroom apartment will start at $4.96 million and a six-bedroom at $64.4 million. Experts say that such hikes of already astronomical prices for high-end housing are symptomatic of a phenomenon that is beginning to be felt across much of Manhattan. It is being driven by everything from people being priced out of the red-hot rental market to a lack of new building in recent years.

"Prices will be pushed higher if there is no relief in terms of supply," said Jonathan Miller, chief executive of appraisal firm Miller Samuel Inc. "It's the basic law of economics."

So far this year, 432 Park Ave. is one of just 15 new condo projects whose offering plans were submitted to the attorney general's office, which must approve them before sales can begin. Although several stalled condo projects have been revived this past year and new developments are in the works as construction lending loosens, the number of units projected to enter the market in the next few years is still likely to fall short of demand.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2012, 1:54 PM

For those of us who live in NYC (me its been 17 years now) its always about what people "DO" versus what they "say" (especially in the press and media). Again....if in 30 days there's no crane = trouble getting this thing done!!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive