HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

OneEleven in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
The last two projects Bofill designed for Chicago (both unbuilt).
And then there's his 2000-footer from several years earlier, on what I think became the 300 N LaSalle site. Basically a rehash & stretch of RR Donnelley.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2011, 4:17 AM
I Couldn't Tell Anyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by towerpower123 View Post
Look at Ricardo Bofill's Walden 7 building. Although you can't really blame him for the color scheme since the tiles kept falling off so they were removed and the building was painted.

Both images are from Wikimedia Commons.
Hopefully Waterview won't look anything like that.
If that building were invisible it would still be hideous.

And this looks like a cutaway section of a engine.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2011, 4:26 PM

Old Posted Apr 11, 2011, 7:01 PM
ParanoidAndroid

Someone jumped off this thing with a parachute about a week ago (i caught the tail end of the story on the news). He was fine, but it looked like that chute barely opened in time.

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 5:52 PM

April 27

Old Posted May 9, 2011, 6:03 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Speaking of people jumping from Waterview, per the trailer it looks like it will be the set for some stunts in Columbiana, the new Zoe Saldana movie.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 2:24 PM

Quote:
New venture to try its hand at Waterview site

By: Alby Gallun May 11, 2011

The unfinished Waterview Tower at 111 W. Wacker Drive. Photo by Stephen J. Serio

(Crain's) — Yet another developer is taking a shot at the unfinished Waterview Tower, the 27-story concrete carcass on Wacker Drive.

Related Midwest has signed a letter of intent to form a development joint venture with a group of creditors that now owns the failed condominium-and-hotel project at 111 W. Wacker Drive, according to a statement issued by both parties. Known best as a builder of condominium high-rises, the developer is likely to reconfigure the structure for apartments, a booming sector that is in the early stages of a construction wave.

Read more: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...#ixzz1M3ObTagc
Stay up-to-date on Chicago real estate with our free, daily e-newsletter
Another to take a crack at Waterview Site

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 3:30 PM
BANNED

^^^ Interesting, this was one of the rumors I had referenced a few months ago. I had heard Related was snooping around at WV and has some pretty interesting plans for the site. Hopefully they can get all the terms of their LOI worked out and translated to a real, binding, agreement to move forward. I also think it is best that they continue to work with the current creditors instead of trying to buy them out and purchase the property outright.

From what I've heard one of the configurations in consideration by Related would involve a tower nearly as tall as Waterview originally was intended to be. Depending on how the economics work out, the availability of financing, and the continued boom in rents I've heard numbers as high as 80-83 floors of apts tossed around.

This is just my speculation, but I would also imagine that Related would build with the intent of converting it to condos when the market recovers which would hopefully mean higher floors and more height. They aren't really in the business of building and owning apartments.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 3:35 PM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Quote:
“Related Midwest is pleased to take this initial step towards the joint venture development of 111 West Wacker Drive, a site Related views as a marquee opportunity,”

Read more: http://www.chicagorealestatedaily.co...#ixzz1M3iDkUlw
I hope that, unlike the previous proposals, they treat it like a marquee building. I hate to be optimistic, but Related has more of a chance of getting this done, and well, especially since they're intelligently aiming for rental instead of office.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 4:12 PM

Hopefully this works out, and the final design tops 1,000 feet. I always thought a supertall at that location would look great.

While we're at it, does anyone want to resurrect the Waldorf Astoria proposal? Now that was a beautiful building.

Old Posted May 12, 2011, 4:55 PM

Elvis has left the building

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 11:11 PM

Old Posted May 26, 2011, 1:18 PM
dream fast

5-18

Old Posted Jul 20, 2011, 2:53 AM

Hope the Work picks back up

Hopefully one day this project will get off the ground again. I will give you the heads up when the HighRisers are really coming, just like I was doubted years ago when I informed the non believers that this project was shutting down for real. This is what we do for a living. When the Money comes they will call one of us, and there is not to many of us left in Chicago.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:08 AM
THAT Guy

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

New Life for Stalled Project
By ELIOT BROWN - JULY 27, 2011

Related Cos. bought control of a half-built skyscraper in Chicago's downtown on Tuesday in a bid to restart construction on the site, people involved with the deal said.

Construction on the project froze at 25 stories in 2008. The developer at the time, a group led by Ivan Dvorak, was planning a 90-story, mixed-used project including condominiums and a Shangri-La hotel called Waterview Tower.

Instead, Related plans to turn it into a luxury rental building of about 500 apartments, rising over 50 stories. The New York-based company is using money from a $1 billion distressed real-estate fund it is raising to finance the project, according to people familiar with the matter. Terms of the transaction weren't available.

...Related, for example, still needs to arrange new construction financing for the Chicago project.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:20 AM
NEW YORK | CHICAGO

Interesting. This plan makes more sense to me and Related certainly is a more interesting choice. Now we can wait and see if they can actually pull it off.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 5:39 AM
TL;DR

At 50 stories, this will be no slouch. It will be roughly twice the height of what is already built, or about the height of 77 W. Wacker (give or take 30').

I'll be interested to see what the architects come up with.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 6:03 AM
THAT Guy

Crain's is reporting 65 floors. I'm not sure if they were told this directly or they're just estimating ~15 existing base/parking floors + 50 existing/new residential floors.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 8:07 AM

It will be interesting to see who they hire as architects.

The Crains article says that Teng has retained an ownership stake. I'd like the see the original architect complete the design.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 9:59 AM
Everywhere all at once

it'll also be interesting to see how the architects incorporate a 25-story already-built section into an original new design.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive