HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocman
Faux historic street lamps? AhhHHhhhhhhHH!!!!!

If you want to have a sense of history, you have to earn it. That means make something contemporary and wait atleast 40 years until we begin to appreciate it in a historical context. But instant history? That's something the makers of The Grove would come up with. This is too low brow.

Atleast in downtown, they are reinstalling the ORIGINAL street lamps.
I hate when people say that. Its just streetlamps. Maybe I would understand this with a place like the grove which has no history. But this is hollywood. If anywhere in the world is allowed to have a deceptive light system its the city of make-believe.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Faux historic street lamps? AhhHHhhhhhhHH!!!!!

I hope you're as bothered by, or actually far more bothered by, the many deadzone parking lots & raunchy stores & yahooville bldgs of Hollywood. I've read so many accounts of tourists for yrs & yrs saying how disappointed they were by the hood, and I still recall a writer for Time mag some time ago describing Hollywood Blvd as a street that looked like something out of a Midwestern town, except much seedier.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 6:35 PM
Ridin' The Metro

For me it comes down to style and quality. The saying "they don't make 'em like they used to" comes to mind.

Any time somebody makes something that resembles design from before the "post-modern" revolution, it's tagged as a historic throwback. Well, a lot of those elements have stood the test of time because they are well-designed, beautiful and functional.

I'd like to see more old-style design and architecture in Hollywood and Downtown. Just so long as it's not called "historical" when it's really not.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2005, 6:52 PM

Yeah I love that old-style. They really did something right, and now people throw a fit whenever you try and build it again. I dont even care that its historic, IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL.

You can knock down all the ugly, nothing buildings of the 1920s that have no design. Those are historic but only for their age.

So, I have no problem with designing any kind of buildings from the past. Even just having buildings inspired by the past, with modern materials and such.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 12:08 AM
homemoaner

Actually the tri-lamp luminaire street lights installed in the early 80s did have the unique feature of being color balanced for film crews shooting at night along Hollywood Blvd. At least that's what my cinematography professor told me years ago.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 12:21 AM
urbanphile

^That's pretty cool fact. It makes sense, they are bright as hell! And they have a white light color temp.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 12:35 AM
I just ran out of B***sht

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesTheAngelino
^ Why the hell should they build public parking when there's 4 metro stops in Hollywood? How about buulding more subway so Hollywierd is accesible to more people w/o a car.
It's called Zoning requirements.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 12:39 AM

This is like Steven Spielberg shooting Schindler's List in black and white. It's so pretentious.

It's not a matter of having the choice between faux historic lamps or crap design. We can neither of those choices and strive for good contemporary design.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 12:43 AM

Now you've just gone insane. Spielberg shooting Schindler's List in black and white was an artistic decision, one that photographers make every day. Was Ansel Adams pretentious as well, since he shot most of his pictures in black and white? Crazy!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 12:44 AM
urbanphile

Dude chill out. Hollywood has A LOT of historic (or vintage, or pre WW, or whatever) lighting. I see nothing wrong with trying to tie in the Blvd. to the pre existing side streets to create a more uniform look. And the girl in the red dress might have been pretentious, but I'm going to have to part ways on the Black and White.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd
Now you've just gone insane. Spielberg shooting Schindler's List in black and white was an artistic decision, one that photographers make every day. Was Ansel Adams pretentious as well, since he shot most of his pictures in black and white? Crazy!
Ansel Adams shoots black and white as an artistic decision.
Speilberg is not an artist. His choice of black and white was to make the film seem like it was made during Hollywood's golden age. All of his "serious" efforts at filmmaking, I find are completely shallow.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 5:02 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernd
Ansel Adams shoots black and white as an artistic decision.
Speilberg is not an artist. His choice of black and white was to make the film seem like it was made during Hollywood's golden age. All of his "serious" efforts at filmmaking, I find are completely shallow.
Of course Spielberg is an artist. You are entitled to your opinion, but, in this case, your opinion is wrong.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 5:05 AM

Spielberg, an artist? HA! :hilarious

Old Posted Sep 16, 2005, 5:15 AM
urbanphile

Hmm, looks like I need to have a film talk with someone... anways, the discussion of artists is subjective, and to quote the dude, that's like your opinion man.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2005, 9:23 PM

Virgin Megastore (Hollywood & Highland)

I read a press release for the "new" INXS band which details their "touring" plans. They are scheduled to perform at Los Angeles' new Virgin Megastore (Hollywood and Highland) on October 17.

Does anyone know if it is open now or will this be their grand opening celebration?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2005, 9:54 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLA
Hmm, looks like I need to have a film talk with someone... anways, the discussion of artists is subjective, and to quote the dude, that's like your opinion man.
Anytime the Dude can be quoted, it makes my day. And I'll back you up on the artist part for Spielberg. The guy's made a lot of great movies, not counting Hook and Always.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 23, 2005, 10:26 PM
urbanphile

I didn't go to film school for nothin'

Old Posted Sep 23, 2005, 10:56 PM

Re: Virgin Megastore (Hollywood & Highland)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMetroGuy
I read a press release for the "new" INXS band which details their "touring" plans. They are scheduled to perform at Los Angeles' new Virgin Megastore (Hollywood and Highland) on October 17.

Does anyone know if it is open now or will this be their grand opening celebration?
Anyone?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2005, 10:59 PM

Virgin opens Oct. 12.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2005, 11:43 PM

Thanks!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West