HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 4:36 AM

I don't know if this was posted before. Hopefully it signals a larger trend of businesses moving downtown from the westside.
-------------------------------------------------
Downtown move.(REAL ESTATE).
Daniel Miller.
Los Angeles Business Journal 29.14 (April 2, 2007)

Full Text:COPYRIGHT 2007 CBJ, L.P.

Architecture firm NBBJ is moving to downtown Los Angeles from its Westside offices.

The Seattle-based global firm, which designed Staples Center, has signed a seven-year lease for 8,892 square feet of space in the Pacific Center, located at 523 W. Sixth St. The lease is valued in excess of $1.6 million.

Like several other West L.A. businesses to announce a downtown move in recent weeks, including Century City law firm Foley & Lardner LLP, NBBJ is moving to what it calls a revitalized downtown.

"We had a lot of debate about it," said Jonathan Ward, a partner at NBBJ. "We decided there are a lot of interesting things happening downtown with L.A. Live and the housing boom and there is an amazing stock of buildings downtown that is going to be developed. We wanted to be in the middle of that."

Ward said his firm will move into its new space in June on the third floor of the Pacific Center, which was built in 1921 as the headquarters of the Pacific Mutual Life Insurance Co. The move represents an expansion for the firm, which has had offices in Marina del Rey and Westwood since 1998.

Lisa St. John, managing director at Jones Lang LaSalle Inc., said that downtown is still a "value opportunity" when compared to West L.A., which has a much tighter office market.

"We ultimately chose downtown because they found a building they liked," said St. John, who represented NBBJ in the deal. "They didn't just want a plain vanilla building; they wanted something with some architectural interest."

Jones Lang LaSalle's Jim Walker also represented the architecture firm and building owner Alliance Commercial Partners LLC was represented by Rich Grande and Gibran Begum of Cushman & Wakefield Inc.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2007, 2:22 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

More good news on that front from the Downtown News...

Financial Firm Inks $7 Million Lease

The international financial advisory firm Duff & Phelps is expanding its office space in a Downtown high-rise with a seven-year, $7.1 million lease. The firm, which has 70 employees in Downtown, will take over the entire 31st floor of Cal Plaza II at 350 South Grand Ave., which is owned by Equity Office Trust. Duff & Phelps will occupy 26,780 square feet of space in the Class A building. Jonathon Larsen and J.D. DeRosa of Transwestern advised Duff & Phelps in the deal. Equity Office Trust was represented in house by Brendan McCracken. Worldwide, Duff & Phelps has more than 800 employees.

page 2, 4/23/2007
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 5:19 PM

According to the Notice of Preparation for the Park Fifth EIR, the proposed project will include two residential towers; Tower A includes 41 floors (490 feet high) and Tower B includes 76 floors (890 feet high).

So the Downtown News writer got confused with number of floors vs. actual height when claiming that tower B could be taller than the Library Tower, duh!

http://www.crala.org/internet-site/D...y%204-5-07.pdf

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 3:56 AM

The story height on residential towers is usually not as high as office towers.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2007, 8:10 PM

I think I know why he got confused with the height of park 5th...is
he probably only saw this part of the EIR:

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 6:52 AM

So Park Fifth will officially be the SECOND tallest skyscraper in Los Angeles! It'll be taller than Aon Tower by a whole 30 feet!

I haven't seen the updated renderings, but I wish they would including a spire on top of the tower by incorporating the new concrete-reinforced elevator core-shaft to bypass the ridiculous LA County requirement of helipad mandates.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 7:07 AM

Update, Crane going up on 717!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2007, 7:15 AM

^ Finally

Old Posted Apr 28, 2007, 8:21 AM

In Los Angeles, a Gehry-Designed Awakening
J. Emilio Flores For The New York Times

LOS ANGELES — The influx of thousands of new residents has reinvigorated this city’s downtown in recent years, but most of the development has been clustered on its southern end, near the Staples Center, the sports and entertainment arena.

The Grand Avenue development in downtown Los Angeles.

For more than a decade, however, Eli Broad, a billionaire and civic leader, has envisioned a vibrant focal point for the city — “a place where people from all communities want to gather,” as he put it — on the opposite edge of downtown. That section, known as Bunker Hill, is home to some of the city’s leading cultural institutions and architecturally significant structures, but they are scattered amid a hodgepodge of unsightly parking lots and drab government buildings.

Now Related Urban, the division of the Related Companies that developed the massive Time Warner Center at Columbus Circle in Manhattan, is poised to try to fulfill Mr. Broad’s ambitions. By the end of the year, the company expects to begin demolition for the first phase of a $2.05 billion mixed-use project along Grand Avenue, opposite the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

Designed by the concert hall’s architect, Frank Gehry, the Grand Avenue development will echo the Time Warner Center in some respects — the plans call for a five-star 275-room Mandarin Oriental Hotel, luxury condominiums, restaurants run by celebrity chefs and an upscale food market. But it is also expected to feature terraces and rooftop gardens to take advantage of the mild climate, the developers say.

Included in the $750 million first phase, which extends from First to Second Streets and reaches 35 feet from Grand Avenue to Olive Street, are 400 condominiums in two towers, 48 and 24 stories respectively, to be priced at around $1,000 a square foot or higher; 100 apartments devoted to families earning less than $35,000 a year; 284,000 square feet of retail space; and a 16-acre park linking the Music Center and City Hall to replace an unused swath of sloping green space near the government buildings.

As part of an agreement with community groups and public officials, Related Companies is to advance $50 million of its ground-lease rent toward the cost of the park. The agreement also requires Related and its tenants to meet specified hiring and wage goals and to set aside one-fifth of the units for low- and moderate-income residents. In exchange, officials have agreed to just under $100 million in subsidies, principally from hotel tax revenues, said William A. Witte, the president of Related California.

The City Council and County Board of Supervisors recently gave their blessing to the project, and Mr. Gehry said he expects to complete the design in June.

Rather than compete with his concert hall, with its billowing stainless-steel walls, the glassy Grand Avenue development should play a “supporting role,” Mr. Gehry said, adding that “you don’t put a bunch of iconic buildings one next to the other.” With construction costs rising, the architect said he has had to “adjust the project to that reality” by, for example, searching for less-expensive materials.

Unlike the planned Atlantic Yards development near downtown Brooklyn, which is Mr. Gehry’s other major urban project, Grand Avenue has engendered few fireworks. But some opponents maintain that subsidies are not justified for a project intended primarily for wealthy residents. They say the developer is already getting a break on the land.

Joel Kotkin, a Los Angeles resident and author of “The City: A Global History,” also argues that Los Angeles is a decentralized place with a number of lively downtowns, including Santa Monica, Pasadena and West Hollywood. In his view, the city would do better to nurture organic downtown neighborhoods, like its fashion district, “instead of replicating experiences you can get anywhere.”

But Mr. Broad said that piecemeal development of the city- and county-owned sites would have been a mistake. “I was fearful we would have unplanned development there that would create a mess,” he said. He also said that allowing the developer to define the project ensured that it would be economically workable. “You’ve got to find a developer that’s got the experience to make it work from a commercial point of view,” he said. “Without understanding what is going to work financially, you end up with no project.”

Since 1999, when the local zoning ordinance was changed to allow residential conversion of older office buildings, more than 15,000 units of housing have been built or are under construction downtown, said Carol E. Schatz, the president of the Los Angeles Downtown Center Business Improvement District.

About 29,000 people live downtown, many of them young, well-paid single people who walk to work, according to a recent survey. They are also urban pioneers who are undaunted by the many homeless people who camp out downtown. The new residents are also willing to drive five miles or more to shop for groceries. In July, however, a long-awaited 50,500-square-foot Ralph’s Fresh Fare supermarket is to open at Ninth and Flower Streets, said Terry O’Neill, a spokesman for the chain.

For the first time in memory, a number of office tenants, including Perkins Coie, a law firm, and Psomas, an engineering firm, have been migrating from the West Side to downtown, where rents are cheaper, said H. Carl Muhlstein, an executive vice president at Cushman & Wakefield.

These rents are rising, yet vacancies also increased last year, from 11.9 percent to 15.2 percent. Mr. Muhlstein attributed the rise in vacancies to the consolidation of the Los Angeles Unified School District’s headquarters and the merger of Sanwa Bank and Tokai Bank.

In addition to Grand Avenue, another megadevelopment is planned for downtown Los Angeles — a $2.5 billion entertainment and retail complex known as L.A. Live, which is under construction next to the Staples Center. Developed by the arena’s owner, AEG, it is expected to cater to sports and pop music fans and offer some of the flash of Times Square.

The Related project, by contrast, is designed to appeal to older, more affluent residents, including international buyers and others seeking a downtown pied-a`-terre offering hotel services and restaurants. “That’s something that L.A. hasn’t seen,” Mr. Witte said.

Related Companies has not announced any retail leases yet, although Kenneth A. Himmel, the chief executive of Related Urban, said two potential anchor tenants for the freestanding retail structures were talking with Mr. Gehry.

Rick J. Caruso, the developer of the Grove, the popular open-air retail and entertainment center near the Farmers Market at Third Street and Fairfax Avenue, said Related was unlikely to have a problem attracting a supermarket and other stores to serve its residents. But he said downtown might not be ready for larger retailers that need to draw from a large base of customers. “The jury is still out on the retail,” Mr. Caruso said.

The Grand Avenue project is getting started at a time when the market for high-end condos appears to be softening. In December, KB Homes withdrew from its partnership with AEG to build a 54-story hotel and condominium project at L.A. Live. A planned condominium tower designed by Thom Mayne at Broadway and 11th Street was shelved after it was unable to attract financing. And Standard Pacific Corporation abandoned plans to buy a new building near Union Station and sell its 272 units as condominiums. But Mr. Witte said projects that faltered were not in desirable locations. “The best-located projects are doing very well,” he said.

Victor B. MacFarlane, a managing principal of MacFarlane Partners, one of Related’s investment partners in Grand Avenue, said he was not worried about the market’s long-term prospects.

“There’s no question that the condo market right now is softer,” he said. “But we believe that in two or three years it will be different. We believe that downtown L.A. is for real and not just a flash-in-the-pan trend.”

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:32 AM

A planned condominium tower designed by Thom Mayne at Broadway and 11th Street was shelved after it was unable to attract financing.

I guess this semi-confirms what I had already strongly suspected. Too bad. I was hoping that the Herald Examiner project would be one of the ones that made it.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy View Post
A planned condominium tower designed by Thom Mayne at Broadway and 11th Street was shelved after it was unable to attract financing.

I guess this semi-confirms what I had already strongly suspected. Too bad. I was hoping that the Herald Examiner project would be one of the ones that made it.
waaaaaaaAAAAA...that is horrible news!!! I love Thom Mayne!!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2007, 5:43 AM

That one has been pronounced dead for a while, I think. I'm not too distraught as I'm really enthusiastic about all the under-construction projects now, but it would have been a very nice tie between south Broadway and South Park.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2007, 8:42 PM

Gotta love this thing at the festival yesterday

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:27 PM

Interesting thing I noticed on my way to work this morning ( I drove ) -- The North Main Street reconstruction at Alameda has almost completely cleared the street.

I saw that one portion of the site wasn't cleared -- some old-style brickwork, possibly a sidewalk or other infrastructure that was left behind when the streets were paved over years ago. There was a Caltrans (?) lady with a trowel combing through the dirt, so it could be that they're looking for/found something interesting, or they're just testing the soil for toxins since there were trains going down that route before.

Yeah, I'm a nerd -- whatever. This stuff is interesting to me.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAlossi View Post
Interesting thing I noticed on my way to work this morning ( I drove ) -- The North Main Street reconstruction at Alameda has almost completely cleared the street.

I saw that one portion of the site wasn't cleared -- some old-style brickwork, possibly a sidewalk or other infrastructure that was left behind when the streets were paved over years ago. There was a Caltrans (?) lady with a trowel combing through the dirt, so it could be that they're looking for/found something interesting, or they're just testing the soil for toxins since there were trains going down that route before.

Yeah, I'm a nerd -- whatever. This stuff is interesting to me.
For the visually minded:

I would say it's more likely that's simply old brick roadway. That's how they used to build them, after all.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 6:30 PM

Hey, that's probably it. It seemed like it was a raised portion, but it might have just been my imagination. Good photo, Eric! It would be great if the city incorporated some of the old brickwork into the new street, but it's not likely.

I wonder what the lady with the digging tools was looking for...

Old Posted May 7, 2007, 11:56 PM

LA Times Article on Park 5th.

High-profile L.A. residential tower unveiled
By Roger Vincent, Times Staff Writer
2:02 PM PDT, May 7, 2007

Park Fifth
Plans for a $1 billion twin tower condominium complex overlooking Pershing Square park in downtown Los Angeles were unveiled Monday by developers who expect to build the tallest residential building west of Chicago.

At 76 stories, the taller of the two towers would dramatically alter the city's skyline and rival in height the U.S. Bank office skyscraper. The project, named Park Fifth, also calls for a 14-story five-star hotel, fronting on the park across from the historic Biltmore Hotel.

The project joins several other massive downtown developments planned from Staples Center to Bunker Hill. The two blue-green glass condo towers would rise above the hotel, with the shorter tower reaching 43 stories.

"This is the first time in 30 years that all the stars have lined up" enough to start building Park Fifth, said Los Angeles developer David Houk, who began acquiring the land in the 1970s.

The project already has its supporters and its doubters.

Los Angeles City Councilwoman Jan Perry, who supports Park Fifth, says the building will be a boost for downtown.

"It has the great potential of becoming this iconic structure that is high-profile enough" to redefine the city's skyline, she said, and the location is appropriate for dense development.

"It's right smack dab in the midst of places where people work -- the Jewelry Mart, central business district and Bunker Hill," she said. "There's a lots of jobs within a 15-minute walk."

The project would stand at 5th and Olive streets on the site of the former Philharmonic Auditorium, which was razed in the 1980s to make way for an office and hotel complex. The demand for offices collapsed in the early 1990s and downtown has been burdened by an oversupply ever since.

But a burst of residential development in recent years has added thousands of apartments and condominiums downtown and billions of dollars worth of entertainment, shopping and hotel construction is underway or scheduled to start this year. After decades of blacklisting the area, lenders are again making loans for downtown developments.

Houk says he now has committed financial partners, most of the required development permits and has begun work on a new environmental impact report. Construction could start as soon as early 2008 and the smaller tower including the hotel could be open by 2010, he said.

The property would have six floors of underground parking to serve residents and hotel guests.

The project is drawing its doubters from people who wonder where there is a market for another huge new housing complex downtown.

Adding new downtown housing is a risk, market observers said. "There is a huge supply that far exceeds demand" at the moment, said real estate broker Stephen May of Downtown Residential Real Estate, who estimates more than 400 units are for sale.

Prices are holding level, he said, but may come down in future months as more new units hit the market and create competition.

"People wonder if this is the right time" to announce a large housing development, said economist Jack Kyser of the Los Angeles County Economic Development Corp. "Downtown is overbuilt and some other projects are grinding to a halt."

But the housing market could be thriving again by 2010, he said, and the Park Fifth gamble could pay off. A project of that size -- 732 condos and 218 hotel rooms -- "would pull the center of gravity downtown a little further to the east" and boost the appeal of the blocks around long-suffering Pershing Square, Kyser said.

The city's oldest park has long been a draw for the homeless and its walled setting above an underground garage sets it apart from the streets that surround it. Park Fifth's developers hope to help pay for improvements to Pershing Square, said Rich Marr of Brentwood-based Namco Capital Group Inc., one of Houk's financial partners.

"We are laying the groundwork" for possible upgrades to the square, said Perry.

The complex would also be connected directly with the underground Pershing Square subway station. As designed by New York architecture firm Kohn Pedersen Fox, it would wrap around the Title Guarantee Building, a 12-story art deco style office tower completed in 1930 and now being converted to apartments.

Park Fifth would also have a 15th floor garden with two outdoor swimming pools. At street level there would be restaurants and stores. Although the taller tower would have more floors than the 72-story U.S. Bank Tower two blocks away, it would be shorter in height because residential stories are not as high as office stories.

A spokeswoman for Maguire Properties Inc., owner of U.S. Bank Tower, said the company "welcomes the addition to the downtown skyline" and that Park Fifth would "bring critical mass and further enhance the central business district."

Park Fifth developers promise to bring what could be the third five-star hotel for downtown, which hasn't had a top-class hostelry for decades. No operator has been selected for the hotel in Park Fifth, but Mandarin Oriental has agreed to be part of the $2 billion Grand Avenue project, set to break ground this year, and Ritz Carlton will manage a hotel at the $2.5 billion L.A. Live project under construction near Staples Center.

Houk, the Park Fifth developer, is a former owner of the Pasadena Playhouse and bought the Variety Arts Center on South Figueroa Street in downtown Los Angeles last year with the intention of restoring the historic theater and reopening it as an entertainment venue.

Investor Namco Capital Group owns commercial and residential property in Southern California, including the Marriott Los Angeles Downtown hotel. Also investing in the project is Africa Israel Investments Ltd., a publicly traded development company based in Israel.
END.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cava View Post
Park Fifth's developers hope to help pay for improvements to Pershing Square, said Rich Marr of Brentwood-based Namco Capital Group Inc., one of Houk's financial partners.

Now this part made me sit up and listen! That would definitely be a win-win situation for both the city and the developer to have Pershing Square spruced up.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cava View Post

The city's oldest park has long been a draw for the homeless and its walled setting above an underground garage sets it apart from the streets that surround it. Park Fifth's developers hope to help pay for improvements to Pershing Square, said Rich Marr of Brentwood-based Namco Capital Group Inc., one of Houk's financial partners.

The complex would also be connected directly with the underground Pershing Square subway station. As designed by New York architecture firm Kohn Pedersen Fox, it would wrap around the Title Guarantee Building, a 12-story art deco style office tower completed in 1930 and now being converted to apartments.

Those two ideas struck me in particular!

It has always been my dream to have Pershing Square remodeled...hopefully razed and completely redesigned. I'm hoping that the future Pershing Square resembles a bit more like Union Square in SF. Both sit atop underground parking garages, and SF Union Square's has wonderful terraces that raise the square almost like a podium, giving people easy access as well as clear visibility. That's what LA's Pershing Square needs to do, but of course with a different design.

As for the second idea, I am VERY EXCITED about the connection of the Park Fifth complex into the underground subway station! I'm hoping that it'll connect into the future shopping and hotel much like subways do in many other systems around the world including Tokyo and even SF's BART into the SF Shopping Center.

Old Posted May 8, 2007, 12:47 AM

bobcat,
exactly - thats the part that i found most hopeful,
"possible upgrades" to pershing square...
it would be nice to have the park/square "spruced up" and more visible, accessible, and inviting from its perimeter. I actually hope they completely redo it.
Park 5th with a Pershing Square redo could really help the area - and of course it is right on the subway line stop which fits nicely with almost everyone in LA's current dense/ transit oriented development goals.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West