HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:06 PM
HVAC guru

This literally reminds me of conversations over 15 years ago when I lived in Calgary, and everyone bemoaned the unsustainability of suburban developments such as Tuscany and Coach Hill, and many predicted those areas would become hollowed out ghost towns within two decades. Boy were they wrong.

That's a good point Feepa. Everyone keeps tossing around the word unsustainable (BINGO!). But no one can really say what that means

I think the reality is that there are really only two major driving factors behind the densification that so many pine for: lack of developable land and economic pressure. In Edmonton, as we all know, neither of those are really factors at all and I don't think will be for the foreseeable future

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:18 PM

But that's exactly what I mean. At present there is absolutely nothing wrong with Edmonton's suburbs. But how long can we keep expanding the city outwards. Will we be fully built out neighbourhoods from stony to Vegreville in the future? Edmonton isn't that big yet and is already experiencing air quality issues. But it doesn't seem that anyone wants to do anything about it until it becomes serious. I'm not talking about whether the neighbourhood is sustainable in the sense that it is desirable and will continue to be desirable. I'm talking sustainability in the sense of health and environment. No matter how well planned these new suburbs are, they are still full of cars driving ten minutes to the nearest Tim Hortons to idle in the drive through, and then drive across the street to get groceries, and then drive 50 m to do some clothes shopping...etc.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:22 PM
Change is good

^ agree, but even so, densification is still happening in Edmonton, albeit, slowly, but for the very good reasons you identified. There is no land pressure, no economic pressure, and further more, people are choosing to live closer to their work places, which means places like Gorman, or Silverberry, or Spruce Grove make more sense for some than westmount, or empire park, or rossdale would.

Some on this forum helping me immensely with my buzzword bingo need to stop spouting buzzwords, and take a look at who/where/why/how people live, where they work, and why they might choose the options they are choosing. It's not all about cheaper housing and granite countertops.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 3:26 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
But that's exactly what I mean. At present there is absolutely nothing wrong with Edmonton's suburbs. But how long can we keep expanding the city outwards. Will we be fully built out neighbourhoods from stony to Vegreville in the future? Edmonton isn't that big yet and is already experiencing air quality issues. But it doesn't seem that anyone wants to do anything about it until it becomes serious. I'm not talking about whether the neighbourhood is sustainable in the sense that it is desirable and will continue to be desirable. I'm talking sustainability in the sense of health and environment. No matter how well planned these new suburbs are, they are still full of cars driving ten minutes to the nearest Tim Hortons to idle in the drive through, and then drive across the street to get groceries, and then drive 50 m to do some clothes shopping...etc.
You're right, no matter how well planned out any community is, people are going to drive. Interesting anecdotal fact, I lived downtown for quite a period of my life, and drove more than I do now in Ambleside. In Ambleside, I'm a lot closer to amenities I need in my day to day life. Our suburban builds have changed a lot over the decades, but people are still people, and people are lazy. I work in a 3 storey building with stair cases all over the places, and I see abled-body people taking the elevator all the time. People are lazy, and no amount of planning is going to change the fact that Soccer mom is going to drive to tim hortons, idle in the drive thru, or go get groceries.

What has changed is lot size, and that makes a big difference on how much greenfield development we are chewing through. The city has grown by leaps and bounds in population, and there's no way infill would ever take all the people that have moved here, and continue to move here.

Make transit better by removing the milk runs, and you might start to see a shift in attitudes.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 4:01 PM
HVAC guru

Yes they are making the new burbs much more compact. I bet the new developments are 2-3x more compact than my mid 60's suburb which is < 10 minutes from downtown

And a great number of young families want to live in a brand new neighbourhood in a brand new house, with new schools and many other young families close by. Infill isn't solving that to any appreciable degree so people go where they can get what they want, at price points they can afford

If the end game is just to get people out of cars, fix our broken transit system. They've only been talking about that for the last decade...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 4:39 PM

The end game is to fix it before it breaks or else scramble afterwards like countless cities have done before us. Edmonton has done a lot of things right IMO. Like keeping freeways out of downtown. Now cities like Van and Toronto are trying to figure out how to take out their freeways. Im curious to know if there are small things we could do now that could avoid inevitable costly fixes in the future. I obviously don't have all the answers, but it just seems like if we continue the way we're going then things like tolls, congestion taxes, and 10 lane congested highways are our future. They always say hindsight is 20/20 but why not attempt a little foresight... And I acknowledge things are being done already. It will be very interesting to see ridership on our future LRT lines. Also, I'm curious to know what kind of information is being collected with the recent study on smart roads. It'd be interesting to see data on types of trips/routes occurring on our problematic streets where congestion is common and try to determine if there's a feasible alternative. ( like possibly an LRT version of the inner "ring road")

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 5:35 PM
Change is good

a big fix will be when ever council and administration get off their collective rears and move forward with the changes to the bus system which was proposed almost 4 years ago now.

Get rid of the fucking milk runs! The worst part of the policy is the requirement to have a bus stop within 400 m of everyone's houses. This forces buses down small roads in the middle of neighbourhoods when they should be sticking to the main roads and providing high frequency, direct routing. The bus is seen as a poormans alternative for good reason, and not as a viable alternative to getting to/from work because it slowly meanders through every nook and cranny of as many neighbourhoods as possible before getting you to the transfer center. If the bus stops didn't need to be within every 400 m of every household, the bus could easily be more direct, more quick, and seen as a decent alternative to driving.... but its not, and until this is fixed, the standard quo will always be the standard quo. Drive all the way, or drive to the LRT station park n ride. Neither are acceptable in a growing city....

The problem rests with council/administration to make this change. It has little to do with our neighbourhood / urban design, and all to do with this one small part of a shitty transit policy.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 7:08 PM

Yep, fix the bus routes, and then make sure new developments are built with go bus routes built-in.

Some neighbourhoods have Collector streets that can actually go somewhere. Others, not so much.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 7:22 PM

I really don't get why the bus re-zonings has to take so long. I mean, other than because out council prefers talk to action.

As it is they're going about it exactly wrong, with their interim step of just cutting service on underused routes. If you're going to cut people's bus route/stop you want to be able to say: "but we've fixed your second closest route so it is now way more frequent and direct"

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 7:33 PM
Change is good

I'm pretty sure we've all seen humantransit.org and the recommendations... but in case you missed it.... this is exactly the urban design change we need to make:

http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/c...6013132711.PDF

I don't think there is ways to slowly step into this. A holistic change needs to happen system wide. Once that change is made, and people adapt, then look at trimming the fat. But fix the routing first, see if it encourages more ridership, and then go from there.

Right now ts in a negative downward trend. People don't take bus routes, because bus routing sucks, so they trim bus routes/frequencies and so forth,and then even less people take bus service...

Fix the routings, eliminate milk runs, make transit from home competitive with driving, and just watch ridership grow...

Old Posted Nov 4, 2016, 10:29 PM

^ Link doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
ue, transit shouldn't be looping through these neighbourhoods. They should be using the arterial roads and people should be expected to walk more than 400 m to the nearest transit stop. The problem isn't neighbourhood design, it's transit policy. Buses in the area should stick to 34 ave, 34 street, 17 street, and use direct paths to transit centers... maybe then people would actual consider transit as an alternative. Instead, we have stupid bus routes that wander nearly aimlessly through every nook and cranny of various neighbourhoods, taking 30-45 minutes just to get to the transit center where one then has to catch another bus to get to the node they are trying to get it. No wonder people drive in this city.
the walking paths are much more direct, and the roads less direct which discourages vehicles from cutting through while still providing decent walking links.

I'm not sure what's wrong with your picture. A low use residential road with sidewalks on both sides.

Let's look back downtown\central - most people still drive to get their week+ of groceries. Why? Because nobody wants to haul that much groceries on foot. I get that some people go grocery shopping daily. Great. You are the exception.
I agree and disagree with this.

I agree that ETS should not have to service these winding residential and do "milk run" bus routes. It's an inefficient waste of everybody's time. As much as I like the idea of everybody being within walking distance of public transit in theory, we have to be realistic and look at the consequences of our decision to build such abhorrent road patterns makes it unrealistic to service all areas without redesign. I do hope we move away from this system for the time being and focus on more direct routes and routes that are in higher usage.

I think we need to look at creating a system in new neighbourhoods akin to what existed in the streetcar suburb era. During this time, you basically couldn't build neighbourhoods without access to public transport and were built specifically around access to public transport. The streets were laid out in a way to best accommodate transit users getting to and from home to work, school, or other amenities. With this came pedestrian friendly high streets and shorter blocks radiating from the high streets the streetcar ran through. Eg. blocks are wider east-west, but shorter north-south in Old Strathcona to make for more connections to residents getting off the streetcar on Whyte Ave (in part).

This system is similar to what you're proposing, by in the case of the Silver Berry neighbourhood, having buses run along arterial thoroughfares. I agree with this conceptually as like I said, it's similar to the system of the streetcar suburb era. There's only one main problem with it, in practice. Compared to streetcar suburbs, the arterials are along the edges of communities, spaced further apart from one another, which would render transit peripheral, rather than central, to Silver Berry. The main way to fix this is through complete, New Urbanist style neighbourhoods.

Looking specifically at Silver Berry, I see a relatively easy solution to the problem. There is a north-south multiuse trail that runs dead centre through the community and extends to older neighbourhoods northward until the Whitemud. My thought is that this space could be converted into a complete street, with small businesses and mixed use development a la Towne Centre Blvd in Terwillegar or Garrison Gate at Garrison Woods in Calgary, that runs straight through the middle of the community and continues north, connecting with 38 Ave and south with 23 Ave. Doing this would accomplish both of our goals. It would create an efficient, direct bus route for making transit viable, in addition to it being dead centre in the community, thus making it accessible to the largest sum of people. The ancillary benefits of having it be a complete street, thus making it safe for cyclists and pedestrians as well, and having neighbourhood shops would make the entire community complete as well.

The problem with the street view I linked is mainly that the street is clearly the domain of the automobile and that any other means of transport is given the impression of being second rate. Edmonton does an excellent job at ensuring public sidewalks exist in most new greenfield development, but sidewalks by themselves are only the first step towards a pedestrian friendly environment (albeit the biggest). There are two things I can immediately think of to improve that street, and they are creating a buffer between the sidewalk and the street like a patch of grass (like many of our mature communities have, as well as some newer ones) and to remove the front car garages. Not only do they create a sterile, utilitarian environment lacking in community, the sheer number of driveways cutting across sidewalks makes the endeavour of going for a stroll a very cautious one.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2016, 2:40 AM
Kicking it Viking style..

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
THANK YOU. I tire of endless tourists that thingkCopenhagen is the be all and end all. Great city, no debate there, but not exactly a paragon of density when you take in the whole.
It doesn't matter where you are on the planet, as long as there is room to expand outit makes more sense than up..

I love skyscrapers and high-rises visually, but they are really an act of desperation when it comes to residential buildings ( and dick-measurements when it comes to corporations )

As great as places like Hong Kong looks to me, it's desperation that has driven then to build slim towers on mountain sides with tiny apartments in them..

Not saying high rises are a sign of failure as such, but it is a sign of lack of room, so in any place, be it the Americas, Europe, Asia or Africa, people with the financial options will prefer suburban style homes over cramped apartments..

It's basically only jobs that keep people in city centers, but with proper transportation options it doesn't have to be like that..

Copenhagen is a lot of things, but dense really isn't one of them - sure there are technically dense areas, but they account for a tiny percentage of the overall city..

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:11 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ue View Post
Looking specifically at Silver Berry, I see a relatively easy solution to the problem. There is a north-south multiuse trail that runs dead centre through the community and extends to older neighbourhoods northward until the Whitemud. My thought is that this space could be converted into a complete street, with small businesses and mixed use development a la Towne Centre Blvd in Terwillegar or Garrison Gate at Garrison Woods in Calgary, that runs straight through the middle of the community and continues north, connecting with 38 Ave and south with 23 Ave. Doing this would accomplish both of our goals. It would create an efficient, direct bus route for making transit viable, in addition to it being dead centre in the community, thus making it accessible to the largest sum of people. The ancillary benefits of having it be a complete street, thus making it safe for cyclists and pedestrians as well, and having neighbourhood shops would make the entire community complete as well.
That's an easy solution? Maybe if your playing Simcity. I don't see this as an easy, or reasonable solution at all.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 3:13 PM
Change is good

Quote:
The problem with the street view I linked is mainly that the street is clearly the domain of the automobile and that any other means of transport is given the impression of being second rate. Edmonton does an excellent job at ensuring public sidewalks exist in most new greenfield development, but sidewalks by themselves are only the first step towards a pedestrian friendly environment (albeit the biggest). There are two things I can immediately think of to improve that street, and they are creating a buffer between the sidewalk and the street like a patch of grass (like many of our mature communities have, as well as some newer ones) and to remove the front car garages. Not only do they create a sterile, utilitarian environment lacking in community, the sheer number of driveways cutting across sidewalks makes the endeavour of going for a stroll a very cautious one.
I don't see how walking down a sidewalk with driveways crossing them makes going for a stroll a very cautious one. You're really stretching. In one paragraph, you're trying to take away from the pedestrian environment (my last post reply to you) and here you're trying to take away peoples free space? My my my you really are reaching here. The suburbs aren't the boogeyman you are making them out to be.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:33 PM

Please point out where I advocated for taking away from the pedestrian environment. And in doing so, please try to not exaggerate my statements. I have stated repeatedly that I do accept cars need to be accommodated and that the suburban lifestyle is popular and will continue. I don't consider suburbia a "boogeyman".

A driveway with multiple openings for cars means one has to be constantly aware of cars backing out and produces a sterile environment that doesn't make for a pleasant place to stroll. That streetview of a Silver Berry residential street clearly shows this is an environment built for the car, with the pedestrian as an afterthought (forget about cycling). This is basic planning.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:38 PM
Change is good

You're suggesting removing the walking path and replacing it with a street?! (that multi-use path... the one that sits in a utility corridor... the one you labeled as an easy solution... the one that has powerlines along it from the river to the henday...) See post 213 in this thread.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:48 PM
Change is good

speaking of 'afterthoughts' the walking paths in silverberry seem to have a more direct connection to the area amenties than the roadways do...

Exhibit 'A'

most of the neighbourhood has back alleys too... so most of it doesn't have 'dangerous drive ways where one has to be cautious'... though I don't ever think someone has to be all that more cautious because of a few driveways than if not.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
You're suggesting removing the walking path and replacing it with a street?! (that multi-use path... the one that sits in a utility corridor... the one you labeled as an easy solution... the one that has powerlines along it from the river to the henday...)
Apologies... for some reason the utility corridor aspect brushed past me. Because of that, yes, it would be more difficult to implement.

But beyond that, yes, I was advocating for removing a walking path, which is nothing than a glorified sidewalk with grass patches along the sides, to a complete street, with fine-grained shops and condos with no setback, with wide sidewalks, cycling lanes, and a couple car lanes separated by buffer zones (medians, grass patches), which creates a complete street that is pedestrian friendly and creates a space for pedestrians to actually do things besides walk their dog at.

This
Calgary Sunset by Mehrdad Molaei, on Flickr

vs

This
Legend of the Drunken Paver by Kurt Bauschardt, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Apologies... for some reason the utility corridor aspect brushed past me. Because of that, yes, it would be more difficult to implement.
Only a couple million per km to move transmission lines (& more to bury them), not counting the years of public consultation & ongoing costs that'd be borne by all Albertans.

Just a titch more difficult.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlenoodle View Post
Only a couple million per km to move transmission lines (& more to bury them), not counting the years of public consultation & ongoing costs that'd be borne by all Albertans.

Just a titch more difficult.
Why are you being a dick? I already admitted I overlooked that aspect.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton