HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 9:06 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
In general, I agree. But, I frankly don't care about the buildings in Times Square because I don't go there to see the architecture per se. Like most tourists, I go there to see the head-spinning, larger than life LEDs and ads and tens-of-thoudands of people moving through and idling in the square (because of all the signage). If we could have all the signage we currently have over all the old buildings. Great!

Exactly. TS is for fun. It's where you go when your drunk with a friend or two, and eat pizza on the street.

We should not expect TS to be an architects gallary. For fine architecture, there's the rest of the city. A walk down to 57th Street to see la creme de la creme.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 9:15 PM

Quote:
I'm saying that keeping the older buildings around and having them on display for their architectural significance would mean adding minimal or no signage (à la Paramount building) and doing this for multiple sites within TS would create too many gaps for my liking and would be a much less impressive Times Square (like in the 90s).
And that's where you are limited in mindset. A building can have multiple signs, not just one large one. Look at 3 TS (Reuters), this is a modern building but the point I'm trying to make is that it has multiple signs and it has the same effect, if not a better and more interesting effect than one large TV screen.

You also seem to have a biased thinking that TS is about LED. TS has historically been well lit up with neon and billboards. LED's didn't come on to the scene until late 1990's. TS has been a tourist attraction well before LED's, so obviously LED's is not what makes TS special. You keep on thinking about the 80's and '90's TS but that was due to urban crime and decay. If you go back further, say the 1920's through 1960's, TS was as awe-inspiring and exciting as it ever was and it did not have one single LED screen.

Quote:
And maybe I need to repeat this a third time because you don't get it. We have a difference of opinion. It's really ok to have one. I'm not seeking to impose mine on yours or make mine appear as fact. Some people think TS is indeed generic, some people think it's awe-inspiring and like no (or almost no) place on earth.
And like I said, much of that interest from tourists is based on the site's reputation. No one really is really is impressed by LED screens, big, small or otherwise. LED screens are not in themselves why people go there. They go there because it is a famous site. They see it on TV. They hear about it in the news.

Quote:
In general, I agree. But, I frankly don't care about the buildings in Times Square because I don't go there to see the architecture per se. Like most tourists, I go there to see the head-spinning, larger than life LEDs and ads and tens-of-thoudands of people moving through and idling in the square (because of all the signage). If we could have all the signage we currently have over all the old buildings.
Very few places you go to see the architecture but architecture has a way of influencing your impression of a place, almost subconsciously. A TS with nothing but glass buildings and a big LED screen at the base becomes less interesting. Eventually, even its past reputation and fame will not be able to overcome the generic-ness if it continues down that path. It hasn't gotten to that point yet so you will continue to be able claim that it is "the most popular tourist attraction...blah...blah" but it may not always be the case in the future.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Exactly. TS is for fun. It's where you go when your drunk with a friend or two, and eat pizza on the street.

We should not expect TS to be an architects gallary. For fine architecture, there's the rest of the city. A walk down to 57th Street to see la creme de la creme.
Is TS really that fun anymore? TMobile store fun? SBarro fun? H&M fun? Bank of America ATM branch fun? Walgreens fun? Eating a pizza and being drunk is only fun in TS?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
And that's where you are limited in mindset. A building can have multiple signs, not just one large one. Look at 3 TS (Reuters), this is a modern building but the point I'm trying to make is that it has multiple signs and it has the same effect, if not a better and more interesting effect than one large TV screen.

I never said it had to be LEDs (that's precisely why I also used the words 'ads' and 'signage') nor did I say that it had to be one huge one instead of multiple small ones (which I agree is more interesting). What I'm saying is that I personally like TS covered in signage and ads and LEDs, and only hope that more is added the mix (whether on old or new buildings)

Quote:
No one really is really is impressed by LED screens, big, small or otherwise.
I am. That's why I said we have a difference of opinion, but you wanna be super dogmatic about yours.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2017, 10:44 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Is TS really that fun anymore? TMobile store fun? SBarro fun? H&M fun? Bank of America ATM branch fun? Walgreens fun? Eating a pizza and being drunk is only fun in TS?
The energy of the area is what makes it fun. Regardless of the area, anywhere in the city where there is high street energy, there's an aura of fun. TS is a very busy area, and there is always something to see. Granted it's touristy, but every once in a while you'll run into something interesting.

We are just use to it, but for the millions of 1st time visitors or even returning visitors, it's still a must see mecca.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I never said it had to be LEDs (that's precisely why I also used the words 'ads' and 'signage') nor did I say that it had to be one huge one instead of multiple small ones (which I agree is more interesting). What I'm saying is that I personally like TS covered in signage and ads and LEDs, and only hope that more is added the mix (whether on old or new buildings)
Really? That's not what you've been saying:

Quote:
If it had stayed the way it was in the 90s (in terms of the size,brightness, and amount of signage),
Quote:
My argument is: if everyone does LED screens now (as you say), and if TS had remained stagnant, then it wouldn't be as impressive relative to the rest today. Times Square had to forge ahead with more over-the-top screens and signage to keep it more awe-inspiring and head-spinning, and now it has the title of most visited tourist site to thank for it.

(As an aside, I'd also argue that the LEDs you see in Times Square are definitely more impressive than most others seen around the world in terms of size, sharpness, and in the context of being right next to dozens of other gigantic LEDs, not to mention that good-ole NY verticality).
Quote:
In general, I agree. But, I frankly don't care about the buildings in Times Square because I don't go there to see the architecture per se. Like most tourists, I go there to see the head-spinning, larger than life LEDs and ads and tens-of-thoudands of people moving through and idling in the square (because of all the signage). If we could have all the signage we currently have over all the old buildings. Great!

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
The energy of the area is what makes it fun. Regardless of the area, anywhere in the city where there is high street energy, there's an aura of fun. TS is a very busy area, and there is always something to see. Granted it's touristy, but every once in a while you'll run into something interesting.

We are just use to it, but for the millions of 1st time visitors or even returning visitors, it's still a must see mecca.
Make no mistake, I am very pro-TS. I want lots and lots of signage and lights. IMO it is a NY icon and one of the things that makes NY special. I know a lot native NY'ers that trash (speak poorly of) it because it makes them sound smart but that is a mistake.

With that said, seeing it slowly losing its character through the loss of prominent buildings (most are gone already so the argument is more past tense) for soulless glass boxes and unique stores for national mall chains, is sad.

But isn't just TS. This is happening all across the city.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Really? That's not what you've been saying:

I think both are needed to create a dynamic scene. If all TS were converted to just 6 of the largest screens on Earth, it wouldn't be as interesting than the dozens they'd be replacing. On the other hand, if there were only tiny ads and screens, I think that would make TS basically like the other mini-TS's of the world. This is similar to the way many people rate skylines, actually: a mixture of tall skyscrapers, mid-rises, and low-rises is often rated very well. Each size grouping provides context for the others.

To get back on topic, this is what I actually wrote back in November (on Yimby) about the Doubletree renovation as it pertains to the signage:

Quote:
It's a bit of a shame that we'll be losing some "fine grained" density that creates a dynamic scene and makes your eyes wander. Also there were many different textures (billboards, lightbulb frames, etc) in this location that added to the dynamism as well. The new jumbo screen might be split up and advertise different that but it won't be the same. On the other hand, having two curved gargantuan LED screens facing each other in an awesome symmetry will certainly be very striking.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 1:03 PM

Quote:
On the other hand, if there were only tiny ads and screens,
And when did anyone here ever advocated for only tiny ads and screens? You literally made that up. I have been telling you endlessly that it doesn't have to be a choice of one or the other. TS already has lots of Jumbotrons. In fact, they are not in any danger of going away (in the foreseeable future). It's the "fine grain" density and variety that is getting replaced, both signage and buildings.

Quote:
To get back on topic, this is what I actually wrote back in November (on Yimby) about the Doubletree renovation as it pertains to the signage:
And yet, you seem to forget all that you wrote and basically arguing against it in this thread. And now all of sudden, you remembered.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2017, 5:43 PM
New Yorker for life

Enough. You folks can debate Times Square in another thread. This one is specifically for this building.

Here's a good thread to continue your discussion:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215407

Or simply create one in the proper forum.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Aug 8, 2017 at 1:38 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 4:02 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.6sqft.com/plans-new-rend...hotel-project/

Plans, new renderings revealed for $2.5B redevelopment of Times Square’s Palace Theatre

SEPTEMBER 24, 2018
BY MICHELLE COHEN

Quote:
A year after renderings were released and three years after the project’s approval by the Landmarks Preservation Commission, L&L Holding Company, Maefield Development, and Fortress Investment Group have revealed plans for TSX Broadway at 1568 Broadway, beginning with the demolition–planned for this winter–of the existing 1,700-seat landmarked Palace Theatre, which will be replaced by a 46-story tower with 550,000 square feet of retail and entertainment space. The theater will be elevated 30 feet and secured within the new building and will be completely renovated, after which an entirely new structure containing a 669-key luxury hotel will be built around it.
Quote:
Originally designed by Milwaukee-based architects Kirchoff & Rose in a baroque, Beaux-Arts style, the Palace Theatre served as the country’s biggest vaudeville venue between 1913 and 1929. Approved by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 2015, the project will be designed by Platt Byard Dovell White Architects (PBDW) and Mancini Duffy.

A new exterior entrance and 80-foot-long marquee on 47th Street will be added. The structural team that successfully moved the Empire Theater on 42nd Street in 1998 will be overseeing the Palace Theatre’s move.
Quote:
The $2.5 billion project intends to entice the titans of the 21st-century digital economy to an evolving Times Square. According to Crain’s, Amazon, Facebook, YouTube, Samsung, Chinese e-commerce company Alibaba, Disney and Walmart have shown interest in the site.

Exclusive features of TSX Broadway include Times Square’s only permanent outdoor stage and the most technologically advanced signage and lighting package in New York City. The stage will be suspended 30 feet in the air, overlooking the iconic TKTS “Red Steps.”

In addition, the building will offer dedicated retail, food and beverage and hospitality spaces. Flexible retail space measuring 75,000 square feet will anchor the first ten floors, with 15,000 square feet on the ground floor. Also in the plans is a 10,000-square-foot outdoor terrace, part of a 30,000 total square foot dining destination.
Quote:
The hotel will feature direct views of Times Square and floor-to-ceiling glass windows. Thirty “Ball Drop Suites” will be positioned to view the festivities on New Year’s Eve. Construction is expected to be finished by 2021.

David Levinson, chairman and CEO of L&L Holding Company, said: “The future of Times Square will be shaped by its ability to maintain a lasting tradition of innovation and creativity. The area’s existing real estate is not equipped to host global brands with the most innovative technology.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 4:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:12 PM
Show me the blueprints

It looks like a Jaws 19 hologram could pop out of that thing.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 5:31 PM
New Yorker for life

Seems like there's always something flashy and new going up in Times Square. I wanna see how they use that stage floating above the sidwalk.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2018, 11:13 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

The upper renderings depict the TS crowds accurately. Any given Saturday after 5 pm or especially around December tends to look like that. Likewise for 5th Ave. When two lanes of the Avenue become a temporary sidewalk expansions, you know its crowded.

I still like this development. Fits in perfectly, and I mean that in a good way. Looks good for the area.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 10:46 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

this one is a very complicated project:

https://nypost.com/2018/10/09/plan-f...que-challenge/

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 6:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

TSX Hotel At 1568 Broadway Prepares For 2019 Demolition In Times Square
Quote:
While the flashing marquee lights and LED billboards of 1568 Broadway continue to brighten the crossroads of the world, the light bulbs and digital screens will one day turn off as the building prepares for demolition. Plans for the DoubleTree Suites by Hilton call for an entirely new 46-story, 550,000 square foot building dubbed TSX Broadway. The 106-year old Palace Theatre will be the only part of the original site to be preserved, structurally elevated, and integrated into the $2.5 billion dollar redevelopment. L&L Holding Company, Maefield Development, and Fortress Investment Group are the developers who purchased the site for $450 million dollars.

As of now, the extant hotel is operational while the billboards and LED screens are still pulsating with energy. One notable aspect about the site is the number of closed doors and windows along 7th Avenue. They once held a number of small independent businesses as well as a gentlemen’s club. Sidewalk sheds have now been installed along Broadway and West 47th Street, indicating work on the building should start very soon.

The new retail podium will have one large screen with a permanent outdoor platform that cantilevers over the sidewalk. Views up and down Times Square will be plentiful when standing 30 feet above the street, higher than the top of the TKTS red staircase across the street. The new stage can also serve as a platform for live performances, outdoor venues, or become part of the New Year’s Eve celebrations. In the end, this adds a unique character to the changing face of Times Square, and the number of ways companies try to get the attention of onlookers and tourists from around the world to shop, eat and interact with the neighborhood’s buildings.

When complete, the building’s podium will be entirely surrounded by a wrap-around, curved LED screen. The level of luminosity and conspicuity will rival the upcoming Edition hotel at 701 7th Avenue. Both sites encompass a similar building mass and hierarchy of retail, commercial and hotel space. They maximize the amount of retail signage covering each of their podium floors before yielding to hotel floors above.

A completion date for TSX Broadway has not been announced yet, but work is reportedly to begin in January.
======================
NYY

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 4:25 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Feb 26, 2019, 3:48 PM

This tower will be nearly 600 ft., BTW.

It's a new build, essentially. They're stripping the tower down to the steel.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 2:11 PM
New Yorker for life

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/03/18/time...-broadway.html

Times Square is about to get a new 46-story tower that is basically a giant LED billboard on one side

Lucy Handley
3/18/19

Quote:
Contractors have started work on a project that will light up Times Square in New York, one of the most-visited places in the world with around 380,000 pedestrians walking through it each day.

TSX Broadway, as it is known, will be a “branded beacon,” 46 floors of retail, entertainment and accommodation. The building, on the corner of 47th Street at Broadway and Seventh Avenue, currently houses a DoubleTree Hilton hotel and the landmarked Palace Theatre, which will be restored and lifted 30 feet to accommodate an experiential retail outlet.

Upper floors will comprise a performance stage over Times Square, a restaurant with large terrace and a hotel with more than 600 rooms.

According to David Orowitz, a senior vice-president at developer L&L Holding Company, the entire building will be like a giant advertisement. “The whole building is essentially (an advertising) sign, and the side that is facing Times Square is a single sign comprised of LEDs into the building itself that runs up the entire 46-story building,” he said in an email to CNBC.
Quote:
Now that preparation for the demolition of the hotel is under way, executives are at work finding an advertiser that will help it recoup some of the $2.5 billion it has raised for the new building, set to open in early 2022. And it’s hired Andrew Essex, a former ad exec and CEO of the Tribeca Film Festival, to negotiate a deal with a single customer to advertise on the behemoth, including the naming rights to the building, the retail and entertainment spaces and the billboards.

“It’s part Super Bowl, part experiential mega arena, part center of commerce, part social network,” Essex told CNBC by phone, adding that he expects to have a deal signed this year.

It would have to be a brand that has the right entertainment value, Essex added. “Events must become more eventful, otherwise people stay home and watch Netflix, ” he said. “So what does it take to get people out of the house today?”
Quote:
Naming rights for venues are nothing new, but as this deal is different because it likely include retail and performance spaces, Essex claimed. “The entire superstructure, the retail space is fungible. So could one have an esports arena? Can the stage be indoor (and) outdoor? Can you broadcast or stream directly? There’s quite literally no limit to what’s possible, because nothing is already purpose-built,” he claimed.

Marketing veteran and CNBC contributor Mike Jackson said his approach would be to look for several partners. “I could see them trying to get partners like Apple or Amazon or one of the telecoms to really maintain a huge presence … as things like 5G (high-speed mobile communications) come on board to deliver that integration of the retail space with the advertising platform, as well as the ability to use that broadcast venue in the theatre, ” he told CNBC by phone.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive