HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 5:54 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Smile NEW YORK | 430 East 58th Street (Sutton 58) | 844 FT | 67 FLOORS

Coming soon to the far East side: 200K-square-foot condo building

Assemblage:

Quote:
A tony enclave of Manhattan's Sutton Place has long served as a quiet retreat for the city's upper crust. But the Bauhouse Group is betting that change is afoot.

The firm announced Friday it has acquired a fourth rental property, 426 E. 58th St., and 100,000 square feet of air rights for an undisclosed price, which will allow it to build a 95-unit condo building designed by starchitect Norman Foster's firm along East 58th Street. Bauhouse—which purchased three contiguous buildings for $32 million in January—plans to raze all four of the structures to make way for the new 200,000-square-foot apartment building.

"There hasn't been a true ultra-luxury building (in the neighborhood) since Rosario Candela did One Sutton Place South in 1927," said Joseph Beninati, managing member of the Bauhouse Group, referencing a stately 14-story apartment building between East 56th and East 57th streets.

The firm plans to roll out renderings and specifics on its condo building this spring, before beginning construction over the summer. The development will be in close proximity to midtown's Plaza District, but more importantly, will be just across the river from the forthcoming Cornell Tech campus on Roosevelt Island--accessible by train or cable car.

"What is going to happen (on Roosevelt Island) is a true game changer, and something that will make this neighborhood forever different," said Mr. Beninati.

[...]
==================================
http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article...condo-building

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jun 6, 2017 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2015, 11:35 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Heres a better shot of the assemblage. I wonder how high they can stretch 95 condos. I'm hoping they can go the way of many other fillers. Ultra-luxury usually in their composition.

Credit: Zoe Rosenberg

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 3:01 AM

This building is closer to 300k square feet, including air rights, per the Real Deal.

Given the tiny plot and the likely superluxury design (Norman Foster is designing huge units here) I assume this tower will be very tall and thin. Perhaps a supertall for Sutton Place?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 9:47 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I hope your right. I was thinking something along the lines of 860 feet, but it is true on the air rights. Could very well be. Another one to the boom would be great.

What they are replacing isn't worth saving anyways. Rather see something spectacular from Mr.Foster like many of his previous designs.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2015, 10:19 PM
Show me the blueprints

How wide are these four lots? Around 100'?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 4:54 PM

Smile NEW YORK | 426-432 East 58th Street | +900 FT | FLOORS

Luxury Mega-Tower For Sutton Place

By Daniel Fitzsimmons
Published Apr 7, 2015
Quote:
Plans have been drawn up for a luxury 900-foot condo tower in Sutton Place, which, if completed as planned, would rank as one of the tallest buildings in Manhattan.

The 268,000-square-foot tower will become the second-tallest on the Upper East Side, behind the in-progress 432 Park Avenue at 1,400 feet, and one of the tallest in the city.

Construction permits have not yet been filed for 426-432 East 58th Street, allowing the massive project to fly mostly under the radar until now. Councilmember Ben Kallos, whose district includes Sutton Place, was only made aware of the project last week, as were members of Community Board 6.

A sales brochure put together by Cushman and Wakefield dubs the project as the “Sutton Place Development,” and notes it is “an ultra-luxury, as of right, ground up, opportunity which will reach over 900 feet tall and feature unparalleled 360 degree views of Midtown, Downtown Brooklyn and Manhattan, Central Park and the East River.”

The 268,000 square feet of buildable space and air rights, which includes 58,000 square feet of inclusionary housing rights, have already been delivered. It’s unclear if the affordable housing will be offered on- or off-site, or how many units of affordable housing will be included. Representatives for The Bauhouse Group, which owns the site, declined to field questions about the Sutton Place Development, but a representative of the company provided a press release to Our Town that said the project will include about 95 units.

Last edited by Eidolon; Apr 7, 2015 at 5:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:05 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Looks like a potential supertall with the extra air rights.

The address being 426-432 East 58th Street.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Looks like a potential supertall with the extra air rights.
41 supertalls in NYC that are either Completed, U/C, site prep or in proposal.

Here's how this will fit in with the other developmetns in this region of Manhattan. (Source)

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:12 PM
New Yorker for life

Thought there was a thread for this site, probably just getting confused by all the potential development. Either way, keep'em coming New York.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:25 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Thought there was a thread for this site, probably just getting confused by all the potential development. Either way, keep'em coming New York.
Dam I didn't have my coffee soon enough. We do have a thread for this lol.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=216374

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 5:30 PM
DENNAB

Yet another, awesome!

I hope it's not a box like 432 though, some variety would be nice for the area

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Epic Rendering

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:17 PM

I like it. Adds to the skyline and streetscape.

But hopefully they get the additional air rights, so that this can be a supertall.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:24 PM
DENNAB

It's a box but a very well designed box at that

I like it

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I like it. Adds to the skyline and streetscape.

But hopefully they get the additional air rights, so that this can be a supertall.
From my estimation of this rendering it looks to be just short of a supertall. I count 73 floors.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
From my estimation of this rendering it looks to be just short of a supertall. I count 73 floors.
What does floor count have to do with building height? I mean, isn't that irrelevent in that floor heights are highly variable?

The rendering is for a 900-ft. tower, though they are looking to assemble additional air rights. So it's quite possible the building will eventually be a supertall, but this rendering shows a 900-ft. version.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 7:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Yeah thats the key. The extra right which may push this over the 300m mark. For now, yes, 900 feet, but it could potentially be bigger. This is in a very early stage, so it may change and most likely will following the trend of the other luxury towers. The idea that they are assembling extra properties and getting the most of out the deal is a hint to what may follow.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:28 PM

It's great Norman Foster wants to get in on the action, but he has a major proposal for a tower in like most cities in the world. It would nice to bring in new people like Shop and Rafael Vinoly. Its like New York, London, San Francisco, Philadelphia, Toronto, ect...

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
It would nice to bring in new people like Shop and Rafael Vinoly.
SHoP and Vinoly are hardly new to NYC. They have had far more impact on the NYC skyline than Foster (at least to this point).

Old Posted Apr 7, 2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
What does floor count have to do with building height? I mean, isn't that irrelevent in that floor heights are highly variable?

The rendering is for a 900-ft. tower, though they are looking to assemble additional air rights. So it's quite possible the building will eventually be a supertall, but this rendering shows a 900-ft. version.
Floor count has nothing to do with building height but it is a good way to estimate height. Hopefully they are able to amass the additional air rights to push past the 1000ft mark.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive