HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The Brooklyn Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 4:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Currently listed as 1,066 ft. Though the actual height will be higher, we can work with that.

Brooklyn, get ready for your first supertall.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 4:40 PM

Personally, I'd be totally fine with the final height being 1,066ft considering it's gonna be Brooklyn's only supertall (for now) and it would definitely be tall enough to dominate the skyline of Downtown Brooklyn without looking too out of place. But knowing JDS and SHoP, we'll most likely get a few height bumps like we saw with 111 w57th. I think the final height might be somewhere between 1,100-1,200ft at most.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 4:43 PM
New Yorker for life

This more than likely will not be a flat roofed tower. I give it a final height of at least 1,200 ft. I would just like more details on the design itself, actual renders of a final design. But then again, we don't have that for Nordstrom, and it's rising.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2016, 10:51 PM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
This more than likely will not be a flat roofed tower. I give it a final height of at least 1,200 ft. I would just like more details on the design itself, actual renders of a final design. But then again, we don't have that for Nordstrom, and it's rising.
I hope this will be the final design.
Happy New Year's everyone!
Let's hope that 2016 will be the year for Brooklyn!!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 12:35 AM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
It's going to look awesome in that area whether at 1,066 or ~1,200, definitely a nice New Year's present to hear this.

Now if that 900+ plus footer can get underway in Queens plus Jersey City's new tallest at 800+ feet the outer boroughs will start to add great peripheral mini skylines to mighty Manhattan

Old Posted Jan 3, 2016, 12:53 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Now if that 900+ plus footer can get underway in Queens plus Jersey City's new tallest at 800+ feet the outer boroughs will start to add great peripheral mini skylines to mighty Manhattan
Well, that's the only way we'll see Manhattan expand beyond the limits of the island.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2016, 4:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Jan 10, 2016, 1:46 PM

So happy for Brooklyn getting its first super tall, the render looks great. I have to say that I know this tower is majority residential, I wish there was a way to have an observation area on this tower to take in Brooklyn, Manhattan and the rest of the boroughs, I know it is just my own personal wish that's all, but in any event lets go Brooklyn, USA!

Old Posted Jan 12, 2016, 4:45 AM

Hi. I'm new here. First post. So is this building confirmed? I think it would be a great addition to the NYC skyline.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 1:21 AM

"This more than likely will not be a flat roofed tower.
I give it a final height of at least 1,200 ft." - NYguy . .

music to my ears . . looks spectacular in this render . .
nicely shaped edifice - beautiful skyscraper proportion . .

It'll put Brooklyn on the visual map from many Manhattan vantage-points . .
and from the Staten Island ferry . . .

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 1:58 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I'm hoping its even higher. Those views on the JDS website showing what the top units would experienced looked a bit higher than 1,200 feet. Almost at eye level with 1WTC's roof.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 5:12 AM
aka Studdedleather

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm hoping its even higher. Those views on the JDS website showing what the top units would experienced looked a bit higher than 1,200 feet. Almost at eye level with 1WTC's roof.
Agreed. That's why I too believe at the very least it'll be 1,200 ft. At a minimum, 1,200. I can see this being in the 1,400 -1,450ft final height (including the crown)!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:04 AM

I believe Downtown Bklyn will be the major focus for the borough!!! First, it was Park Slope in the 70's and 80's, then it was Williamsburg in the 90's and 2000's, and now, Downtown Bklyn seems to be transforming into a major hub!!! I like the proposal, and hope Downtown Bklyn can be the downtown that Brooklyn deserves!!!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2016, 2:50 PM

Wow, looks amazing. Godspeed, supertall!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2016, 2:54 AM
New Yorker for life

https://www.instagram.com/p/BAfDfIRSZDb/

Quote:
Inside the Brooklyn Dime Savings Bank, the landmark part of our 9 Dekalb / 340 FBAE project...

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 5:33 AM

Last edited by Yackemflaber69; Jan 29, 2016 at 6:00 AM.

Old Posted Feb 9, 2016, 2:12 AM
New Yorker for life

February 6, 2016

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 10:46 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Scrutiny is about to begin of a proposal for the tallest tower in Brooklyn, one that would be impossible to ignore.

Two developers have submitted plans in recent weeks for a 1,066-foot building in Downtown Brooklyn, which would be almost twice as high as anything surrounding it. The complex, at 9 DeKalb Avenue, would also bring the current surge in supertall towers across the East River from Manhattan.

The 73-story structure, to be built by JDS Development Group and the Chetrit Group, would be more than double the height of the 512-foot Williamsburgh Savings Bank building, which has been the tallest in the borough for nearly a century.

The plans were drawn up by SHoP Architects, whose portfolio includes another of the most recognizable new buildings in Brooklyn, Barclays Center.

For this project, the architects say they drew inspiration from the limestone-columned Brooklyn Dime Savings Bank, which sits next door to the site of the tower, and which would be incorporated into the property. The bronzed ribbons running up the tower’s glassy sides draw on details of the bank, and its hexagonal shape echoes the bank’s footprint.

Part of the tower would rest on a rear portion of the bank, which the developer hopes to demolish; this could become a sticking point, since the bank is a New York City landmark.

The bigger issue for many would seem to be the height, even in a neighborhood and city marked by tall towers.

“Yes, the city planned this for a new Brooklyn,” Gina Pollara, the newly appointed president of the Municipal Art Society, said. “But does the public really understand what the cumulative effect of all these towers will be on the public realm?”

In 2014, JDS and Chetrit spent $46 million on the 340 Flatbush Avenue Extension, a five-story midcentury building that covers about a third of the triangular site and would be demolished to accommodate most of the tower. In December, the developers acquired the bank building, until last year a branch of JPMorgan Chase, for $90 million. They plan to use its soaring Beaux-Arts spaces for shops as well as incorporating roughly 300,000 square feet of air rights that would make the tower’s spire possible.

A 1,066-foot tower can be built along Flatbush Avenue without any special approvals from the city, but since the exterior and interior of the bank building — opened in 1908 and expanded in 1932 — are protected, alterations to the bank must be approved by the city’s Landmarks Preservation Commission. A hearing before the commission is scheduled for March 15.

The developers were also scheduled to appear before Brooklyn Community Board 2 on Wednesday evening, though the board will play only an advisory role.

Unlike the Manhattan towers rising more than 1,000 feet, the Brooklyn structure, with nearly 500 units, is planned as a rental apartment building, according to a person familiar with the plans who was not authorized to discuss them publicly. The developers also applied for the 421-a program, which provides tax breaks for including subsidized apartments in luxury buildings, before it expired last year, and would set aside at least 20 percent of the units as affordable housing.
========================
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/ny...klyn.html?_r=1

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 12:09 AM
don't *meddle*...

Perfect height, perfect design for DoBro! Build it NOW!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2016, 12:15 AM
New Yorker for life

Sweet from every angle. SHoP did it again.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture