HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
Hey Chicago P&C! I just moved to your city from Philly. I'll be here for a few months before going back, but I really love your city!
Welcome! I like your SEPTA logo. Chicago is an incredible place, moved here a few years ago from south Florida, shame this summer will be marred with Covid still, Chicago summers don't even feel real normally, like a coming of age movie. Enjoy your time in our fair city!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Maybe it's an Amazon Fresh store
Meanwhile I am waiting for a trader joe's (which there was supposed to be one many years ago on Division which now a shuttered AT&T store, thanks Nimby's) or any grocery store in the Wicker park/Ukrainian village area. the Jewel on Milwaukee is horrendous, the Marianos on Chicago is the only saving grace along with the Aldi's on Mil but both far walks with groceries.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 8:41 PM
BANNED

^^^Welcome, McGrath. The construction boom has been good to us; you'll enjoy the sights. My advice, if you like to observe construction as much as I do, is to ride a bike up and down the lakeshore bike path between North Ave and Roosevelt, and when you're at the river, ride the Chicago Riverwalk (slowly) West, down to Lake Street and then back. Be sure to stop at the Wolf Point site. There's a great perch just north of the Salesforce Tower construction site, while it's still below Level 1.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jan 11, 2021 at 9:18 PM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:20 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Well, got my answer:

According to Alderman Matt Martin, the developer already has a grocery tenant lined up but will not reveal who in accordnace with an NDA. Strange, because there is a Jewel about 3 blocks north and a Trader Joe's about 3 blocks south... not to mention a Mariano's a little over a mile away.

Interesting. Looks like rooftop parking if an escalator from the second floor is any indication.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive View Post
Maybe it's an Amazon Fresh store
Aldi?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 9:49 PM

Just saw some pictures online of the old Harrison Park quarry. I had no idea there was a quarry there, looks like it was really deep. Anyone know more about it? pics? what did they fill that with?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2021, 10:05 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Just saw some pictures online of the old Harrison Park quarry. I had no idea there was a quarry there, looks like it was really deep. Anyone know more about it? pics? what did they fill that with?
I've never seen pictures, but IIRC the quarry was tapped out by its owners and then they began to accept waste dumping, including organic waste - it didn't smell great! I believe some of the upper layers are relatively clean clay from the digging of the Red and Blue Line subway tunnels.

By the time the city bought it for park expansion in the early 50s, it was almost full and it was capped with topsoil. It continued to sink slowly for the next few decades, there was even an explosion caused by methane buildup.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 5:21 AM
devout Pizzatarian

due to its very politically charged nature, i moved all of the trump tower sign removal discussion to the chicago politics thread: http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213683

Old Posted Jan 13, 2021, 11:26 PM

is this what replaced all that red granite on south side of Sears?

https://www.ctbuh.org/news/new-art-i...-tallest-tower

Old Posted Jan 16, 2021, 7:01 PM

A permit was issued last week to build a new 10 story 258 unit senior living center at 6 corners (Irving Park, Milwaukee, Cicero) across from that old Sears there. This is called The Point for those who remember. It will have 258 total residential units for seniors, which will be higher end and range in price from $4100 to $7700/mo. Supposedly they'll put an Aldi in there too with more retail available.

Not sure how tall this is, but potentially could actually be borderline high rise, technically. This site has sat vacant for over 4 years now after the previous buildings were torn down.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2021, 10:32 PM

1122 w chicago

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 2:30 PM

Anyone know how the city performs street cleaning inside of the protected bikes lanes? Milwaukee Ave's new streetscape already looks like a dump.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 2:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
1122 w chicago

More of these, please, in like......100 intersections all over the city

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Yup and about 100 more of the 609 or 809 Randolph office building (the little one) plugged into a bunch or parking lots and one story garbage buildings all over the city.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:25 PM

Looks very MEH to me...

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...obe-story.html

Aon Center plaza getting $6.5 million renovation, as workers expected to seek outdoor spaces after COVID-19

By RYAN ORI
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
JAN 19, 2021 AT 7:55 AM

Quote:
The owner of one of Chicago’s biggest office towers is investing $6.5 million to demolish and redesign its half-acre plaza in anticipation of greater demand for outdoor space in a post-pandemic downtown.
Work is underway to tear out the underutilized, multilevel plaza along the south side of the 83-story Aon Center. The overhaul is designed to eliminate the fortresslike edge of the plaza along Randolph Street, just north of Millennium Park, and create more usable space as the city moves toward a large-scale return of workers later this year as COVID-19 vaccinations are broadly distributed.

The renovated plaza is expected to open around August, according to the Telos Group, one of the leasing brokers for New York-based property owner 601W Cos.
Quote:
Changes to the plaza are not expected to affect 601W’s plans to add an observatory atop the tower, with an entry structure to be built just east of the new plaza. That $185 million addition will include a glass, exterior elevator tower on the opposite side of the building as well as a thrill ride and other attractions at the top.

Because of COVID-19, 601W last year said construction of the observatory would start about a year behind its initial schedule. It’s now expected to break ground around the middle of this year.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 6:50 PM

It looks just like the 80s/90s-era below-grade plaza it's replacing, except its at street level. Pretty underwhelming.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:15 PM

Not really street level, just slopes down to where it was instead of having that large white elevator gazebo thing. But honestly does not look like that much work for 6.5 million, the sides look pretty much the same.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post

Yes, just hopefully not all senior living apartments... not the best for street life.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Jan 19, 2021, 8:47 PM
Ω

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Not really street level, just slopes down to where it was instead of having that large white elevator gazebo thing. But honestly does not look like that much work for 6.5 million, the sides look pretty much the same.
I think it seems like that but $6.5 million isn't that much for this scale of work. They have to make a whole new platform for this and landscaping isn't cheap.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 3:04 AM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Yes, just hopefully not all senior living apartments... not the best for street life.
Eyes on the street though...

_

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development