HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:08 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i mean this is obviously the biggest factor. when you look at how much swaths of the south and west side have de-populated, the growth we're having in trendy areas is barely keeping the overall numbers flat (and really theyre not, we're still losing people). the black belt has lost 3/4 of its population. theres only so mamy hipsters to go around, and a lot of young people from this generation prefer to be in slightly smaller cities with active outdoor lifestyles (i.e. denver, austin, SF, portland, seattle, etc). and NY will always be the behemoth drawing people looking for a massive urban experience.

honestly, the city has a real image problem, and when all of the national news is either on crime or financial crisis, it dosent paint a reassuring picture.

And, I don't necessarily doubt that this is the single largest factor - the very large areas of the south and west sides (areas that happen to be 95-99% African-American), which are quickly losing population. This issue is all the more challenging when you consider the recent research on gentrification in Chicago (wish I could remember where I saw it/who published it) which reveals that neighborhoods that are above a certain percentage African American (can't remember if it was 40% or similar......but let's say somewhere in the 25-50% range), simply don't - or at least have not historically - gentrify in Chicago.......(instead of gentrify, simply substitute "redevelop" or "experience significant economic development" or "renewed population gains" as I think they would all be accurate here (eg if gentrification reveals itself to be too loaded a term or whatever).....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:12 PM

A few observations from my recent work and travels. I've been travelling pretty extensively and have spent about a month in London and several weeks in NYC out of the past 5 or 6 months. I've learned quite a bit about the differences in these markets as a result and wanted to share, so excuse the wall of text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
Just to concur, there is a definite broadening of institutional and foreign real estate capital from historically a pretty sharp focus on your NYs, Boston, DC, SF, etc to cities - first and foremost among them probably Chicago - where there is a measurably higher yield available......of course it's a trade-off, as Chicago also offers, and will continue to offer, less rent growth and (once this yield adjustment here plays out) capital appreciation potential than those cities.............(think supply constraints here as a first principle)........these foreign guys and others new to the market will learn this lesson - but hopefully not for at least a cycle!
I think some of this "refocusing" on our city is resulting from increased travel to Chicago both nationally and internationally. The most puzzling thing about Chicago is that people simply don't travel there. My English partners have told me that Chicago is like number 5 or 6 on most Brit's priority list when the come to the USA. After having spent 3 weeks in Chicago with me over the past few months they have become just as puzzled as me about this.

Their impression of Chicago has been that it is the cleanest and prettiest city they've been too. They have only been to NYC a few times and on this trip they've just been absolutely horrified by the filth and, in particular, the state of the subways. So the appeal of Chicago is there, but for some reason that message doesn't get out. I think the way to fix this is to continue along the path Rahm has been pushing with trying to bring as many visitors to the city as possible. All they need to do is experience the city and the word will spread.

Quote:
Really interesting discussion here as to (one way of reading it) why Chicago couldn't continue its population growth of the '90s into the '00s thru today, while other big cities were able to.............

Tricky one. I honestly think it's a combination of 1) Chicago's population continuing to crater in a number of neighborhoods, primarily on the South and West sides (all those places folks who live downtown, or maybe in Wicker Park and work in River North, etc - for the most part don't even know exist....that I referenced above), while the other major cities don't have a similar phenomenon (is this accurate?), this is another way of saying there's no - or negative demand - for additional housing in huge swaths of the city which could fit much, much, much more under current zoning, and 2) in the minority of the city geographically (several north and to lesser extent northwest side nabes) where there is a lot of demand, supply actually is constrained due to wildly inappropriate downzonings and Chicago's horrific and odd aldermanic prerogative tradition. The only place where a lot of demand and pretty unconstrained supply actually match-up is in the core - but the core is only so big - it's a very small percent of Chicago's 230 odd sq miles and 2.7 mil pop. - you can only mitigate so much of the population loss and stagnation in Chicago's neighborhoods at large with growth in the core........
The biggest difference is that Chicago is experiencing a post industrial hangover unlike anywhere else on earth. This is not necessarily a result of economics, but, in my opinion, of geography. Because of our unconstrained, perfectly flat, terrain, industry not only flees overseas, but outwards into the endless prairie. At the same time, Chicago's core is simply so much more industrial than any other city on the planet.Chicago was built entirely BECAUSE of industry. This was not an existing city like NYC or London that simply added industry over time. In Chicago the industry came first and people built homes and businesses around it. As a result there are large industrial areas intertwined in all areas of the city. That does not exist in London. That does not exist in NYC (obviously it does to some extent, Brooklyn I'm looking at you, but I'll get to that in a second). Once the industry vacated, Chicago was left with a massive hangover of empty land spread across its core.

When combined with our geography this is particularly toxic. Brooklyn, for example, is just as industrial as any part of Chicago, but because of NYC's extreme space constraints, the industry was significantly more vertical. This also means that the land values were artificially higher. As a result most industrial buildings that vacate are more or less immediately re purposed. In Chicago, we had 3 story warehouses often with huge freight yards and simply knocked those down and build new ones on the outskirts of town over time.

So what it comes down to is that we simply have so much land that we have a "cap" of sorts on land values which constrains our appeal as a center of RE investment. I believe this will change, but it will still take a decade or two. Once Chicago finishes chewing up the vacant land we have in the core, things will change. This change will be dramatic and rapid and will result in a wave of development spreading out into the neighborhoods. That's part of why I'm so excited by this boom over the last. We are seeing smaller projects, but are picking off the vacant land faster. The sooner we can eliminate this land glut, the sooner we can start punching at our weight again in terms of land values and development.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:18 PM

Anybody know anything about 1545 W North Ave? This is on a vacant lot next to the Shell gas station near Ashland (Bosworth). Building permit for a 30 unit building with ground floor retail.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:22 PM
BANNED

LVDW - i think that's a great analysis...only part that i question is describing brooklyn land values as "artificially inflated"...those are market forces (demand, location, good zoning, height, and constraint)....very real forces in a market.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Their impression of Chicago has been that it is the cleanest and prettiest city they've been too. They have only been to NYC a few times and on this trip they've just been absolutely horrified by the filth and, in particular, the state of the subways. So the appeal of Chicago is there, but for some reason that message doesn't get out. I think the way to fix this is to continue along the path Rahm has been pushing with trying to bring as many visitors to the city as possible. All they need to do is experience the city and the word will spread.
Completely agree with this. As you know, I'm in NYC 5+ days/week. Before I started with this, it had been a decade since I had spent a bunch of time in NYC. I'd visited here and there, not much though. It has turned into "I want to move to NYC someday maybe" to "No thanks." NYC is a great city, but when you actually spend a lot of time there, you start noticing a lot of things that Chicago actually does better. Most people have a hard time believing it until they spend time in Chicago and compare to their time in NYC.

I'm not talking about cultural things, but basic sanitary and green space types of things.

Quote:
At the same time, Chicago's core is simply so much more industrial than any other city on the planet.Chicago was built entirely BECAUSE of industry. This was not an existing city like NYC or London that simply added industry over time. In Chicago the industry came first and people built homes and businesses around it.
Yep. The city is undergoing a change in industry types from more Industrial to more professional services. You can kind of see some movement in this POSSIBLY by just looking at educational attainment numbers from now compared to even just 2000.

Quote:
That does not exist in NYC (obviously it does to some extent, Brooklyn I'm looking at you, but I'll get to that in a second).
It exists, but not in the core of Manhattan. It exists in Queens and Brooklyn in large part.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 5:33 PM

Quote:
I think some of this "refocusing" on our city is resulting from increased travel to Chicago both nationally and internationally. The most puzzling thing about Chicago is that people simply don't travel there. My English partners have told me that Chicago is like number 5 or 6 on most Brit's priority list when the come to the USA. After having spent 3 weeks in Chicago with me over the past few months they have become just as puzzled as me about this.
The thing is, the US is just absolutely enormous and anyone considering a trip here has no shortage of options. NY + LA is always going to hold the same romance that London or Paris does for an American (I would imagine Birmingham and Manchester are further down on the list too). Not to mention the coasts are just more accessible and have the sexiness of beaches/mountains/forests as well. National Parks are a huge draw. Venturing into the heartland is more daunting with considerably less jumping off points, and frankly if I were making a once in a lifetime trip to the U.S., Chicago probably wouldnt register on my radar either.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:12 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
The thing is, the US is just absolutely enormous and anyone considering a trip here has no shortage of options. NY + LA is always going to hold the same romance that London or Paris does for an American (I would imagine Birmingham and Manchester are further down on the list too). Not to mention the coasts are just more accessible and have the sexiness of beaches/mountains/forests as well. National Parks are a huge draw. Venturing into the heartland is more daunting with considerably less jumping off points, and frankly if I were making a once in a lifetime trip to the U.S., Chicago probably wouldnt register on my radar either.
I've been an Airbnb host for the better part of five years now - well over 300 bookings in that time. A significant portion of my guests are foreigners - for my upcoming reservations, 18 out of 33 bookings are from people with a foreign phone number.

For some of the people Chicago is their first stop in America, for others it's one in a chain of American cities, and for other's it's a second visit to the U.S. About half are here for leisure and half for business. Obviously the business travelers are less likely to have intentionally selected Chicago. Typically the leisure travelers name one of the three reasons for coming: 1) Architecture, 2) Because we're one end of Route 66 (I've had a number of international visitors arriving or departing via a Route 66 road trip), and 3) sports - I had one rabid Italian sports fan who wanted to see the Bulls and the Cubs and other sports things in Chicago, but others have gone to Bulls or Cubs games, too.

Nearly all of my guests really enjoy Chicago and want to return for a longer visit (or a visit during summer, for my winter guests). Most are surprised by how much they've enjoyed it, and how well it shows off for visitors. Word of mouth is a big in travel, so hopefully these visitors go back and spread the word to their friends and family. The only guest I can think of who didn't like Chicago was this really morose nurse from San Francisco. I don't think he'd have liked any city, to be honest, he just had that sort of temperament.

Most guests I don't talk to that much, but a few I've had extensive conversations with. The ones who ask about cost of living are surprised that my location (smack in the middle of River North - I use the phrase "walk to everything" in my listing title) is so affordable by international standards if we get into discussions of what I paid for my place. The feeling of safety in the central area and general cleanliness are two other factors that surprise visitors. I've talked several guests' ears off about how the city-wide crime statistics paint Chicago with an overly broad brush when it comes to crime.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:13 PM

Chicago is more of a second time trip city, or a tourist destination for Americans. that fact that it is in the middle makes it accessible to the majority of the country. I think the best way to bring more international visitors is to have some sort of, dare i say, "gimmicky" draw. we have Navy Pier for the tourists but i wouldn't exactly call that the equivalent of Times Square, or Rodeo Drive or the walk of fame. I think the river lights concept along with the Wabash lights would get people talking, depending on the quality of those lights.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:18 PM

Sedgwick Development (1545 W North)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Anybody know anything about 1545 W North Ave? This is on a vacant lot next to the Shell gas station near Ashland (Bosworth). Building permit for a 30 unit building with ground floor retail.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:18 PM
BANNED

maybe something like a billion dollar museum connected to one of the post popular franchises of all time...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanrule View Post
maybe something like a billion dollar museum connected to one of the post popular franchises of all time...
I don't even know if that would do it. Would more people visit? Yes, but it doesn't necessarily tap into primitive human behaviour quite like a Times Square does. If you think about it, the entire area is just an area with a bunch of bright lights with cookie cutter stores/restaurants/chains. The Hollywood Walk of Fame are some stars on the ground with some hand prints. The Hollywood Sign is just a fucking sign that says "Hollywood." Think about all this stuff - it's extremely gimmicky. I think people in Chicago have integrity by not letting that type of stuff into the city but at the same time, I think many people miss the point in drawing tons of people for stuff like Times Square. It plays to "bright lights!' and nothing really very intelligent.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:54 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
The biggest difference is that Chicago is experiencing a post industrial hangover unlike anywhere else on earth. This is not necessarily a result of economics, but, in my opinion, of geography. Because of our unconstrained, perfectly flat, terrain, industry not only flees overseas, but outwards into the endless prairie. At the same time, Chicago's core is simply so much more industrial than any other city on the planet.Chicago was built entirely BECAUSE of industry. This was not an existing city like NYC or London that simply added industry over time. In Chicago the industry came first and people built homes and businesses around it. As a result there are large industrial areas intertwined in all areas of the city. That does not exist in London. That does not exist in NYC (obviously it does to some extent, Brooklyn I'm looking at you, but I'll get to that in a second). Once the industry vacated, Chicago was left with a massive hangover of empty land spread across its core.

When combined with our geography this is particularly toxic. Brooklyn, for example, is just as industrial as any part of Chicago, but because of NYC's extreme space constraints, the industry was significantly more vertical. This also means that the land values were artificially higher. As a result most industrial buildings that vacate are more or less immediately re purposed. In Chicago, we had 3 story warehouses often with huge freight yards and simply knocked those down and build new ones on the outskirts of town over time.

So what it comes down to is that we simply have so much land that we have a "cap" of sorts on land values which constrains our appeal as a center of RE investment. I believe this will change, but it will still take a decade or two. Once Chicago finishes chewing up the vacant land we have in the core, things will change. This change will be dramatic and rapid and will result in a wave of development spreading out into the neighborhoods. That's part of why I'm so excited by this boom over the last. We are seeing smaller projects, but are picking off the vacant land faster. The sooner we can eliminate this land glut, the sooner we can start punching at our weight again in terms of land values and development.

The industrial 'hangover' is a good point, but this is by no means specific to Chicago - throw in most other rustbelt cities and it's the exact same thing (granted, Chicago is far and away the largest, most economically important with the highest global profile etc)......

Most of the rest of your post is a long-winded way of saying that Chicago has relatively low (and certainly comparatively to the coastal cities and other truly global cities - very, very few) supply constraints - certainly in the core, and certainly in most of the city's neighborhoods (as I've mentioned aldermanic prerogative creates some supply constraints in your by comparison fewer 'hot demand' n/nw side nabes), and relatively 'patchy' demand. Hopefully the demand side of the equation is becoming more solid and consistent in the core at least - however, Chicago is never, ever, ever (EVER!!!!) - ok, let's say in the 21st century - going to come anywhere remotely close to the supply constraints of your US coastal cities and other global gateway cities.......for some of the reasons you mention, and perhaps a couple others............land prices, rents, capital values, etc will always be significantly lower (although growth rates in the future may indeed be somewhat higher than they have been here in the past) in Chicago than in those peers.....

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 6:55 PM

Quote:
I don't even know if that would do it. Would more people visit? Yes, but it doesn't necessarily tap into primitive human behaviour quite like a Times Square does. If you think about it, the entire area is just an area with a bunch of bright lights with cookie cutter stores/restaurants/chains. The Hollywood Walk of Fame are some stars on the ground with some hand prints. The Hollywood Sign is just a fucking sign that says "Hollywood." Think about all this stuff - it's extremely gimmicky. I think people in Chicago have integrity by not letting that type of stuff into the city but at the same time, I think many people miss the point in drawing tons of people for stuff like Times Square. It plays to "bright lights!' and nothing really very intelligent.
Lets be real, our #1 tourist draw is still Navy Pier, which is about the lamest thing I can think of traveling halfway around the world to see. But people still do it. And yeah, people also go to Times Square to gawk at video screens selling them junk they dont need, and to eat burgers at Guy Fieri's. Do I understand it? Nope. But I also dont claim to understand the motivation or thought process of most people

Last edited by Via Chicago; Apr 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Lets be real, our #1 tourist draw is still Navy Pier, which is about the lamest thing I can think of traveling halfway around the world to see. But people still do it. And yeah, people also go to Times Square to gawk at video screens selling them junk they dont need, and to eat burgers at Guy Fiereis. Do I understand it? Nope. But I also dont claim to understand the motivation or thought process of most people
Tourists may GO to Navy Pier in droves while they are visiting but it is not the reason they are here to begin with.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:23 PM
you know where I'll be

If anyone here wants to get serious about why Chicago lost population in the 00s, and is at best flattish thus far this decade (while peer cities have steadily grown, ie how is Chicago most importantly different), then you need to really dig into what I was touching on earlier - Chicago's extraordinarily acute racial-socioeconomic (but I think most especially racial) segregation.......the answer is very much connected to this, unfortunately. And, LVDW, if comments related to this weren't among the top hits of your Europeans, they either are shitty Europeans, or only saw the narrow 'happy talk' slice of Chicago (but still should have at least observed the wildly disproportionate downtown African American homeless population (in my experience, virtually all Europeans I know - very much including Britons - have remarked about this on their first Chicago visit.....)

Last edited by SamInTheLoop; Apr 9, 2015 at 1:45 PM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:26 PM

Quote:
The industrial 'hangover' is a good point, but this is by no means specific to Chicago - throw in most other rustbelt cities and it's the exact same thing (granted, Chicago is far and away the largest, most economically important with the highest global profile etc)......

Most of the rest of your post is a long-winded way of saying that Chicago has relatively low (and certainly comparatively to the coastal cities and other truly global cities - very, very few) supply constraints - certainly in the core, and certainly in most of the city's neighborhoods (as I've mentioned aldermanic prerogative creates some supply constraints in your by comparison fewer 'hot demand' n/nw side nabes), and relatively 'patchy' demand. Hopefully the demand side of the equation is becoming more solid and consistent in the core at least - however, Chicago is never, ever, ever (EVER!!!!) - ok, let's say in the 21st century - going to come anywhere remotely close to the supply constraints of your US coastal cities and other global gateway cities.......for some of the reasons you mention, and perhaps a couple others............land prices, rents, capital values, etc will always be significantly lower (although growth rates in the future may indeed be somewhat higher than they have been here in the past) in Chicago than in those peers.....
Disagree. Chicago once had some of the most expensive real estate in the world despite (or perhaps because of) having some of the earliest infrastructure allowing long distance travel. We invented the skyscraper just to address that issue for pete's sake. The difference is that Chicago is shackled to the post industrial hangover and certain demographic issues that are addressing themselves. Chicago's location is far more important than many of the cities we are discussing. There simply MUST be a city at that location. It's really just a matter of sorting out the legacy issues that remain from what was essentially big-bang style growth followed by sweeping social and economic change. We are a much younger city than all of the one's mentioned above save for our western American siblings. Simply put, we haven't reached maturity or equilibrium as a society or built environment yet. Most blocks in the city consist entirely of buildings that were built in a 10 to 15 year period. They are all in lockstep in terms of their depreciation cycle. Hell most of the areas we are talking about haven't even made it through an entire redevelopment cycle yet. That's a big part of why Chicago is a city of wild extremes, it's engrained in our history and that history echo's into the present. Until that reverberation dissipates Chicago will not be stable.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 7:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
its about getting the name out there.
the more people here "chicago" in the news and papers and twitter or whatever, the better.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:01 PM
Urbane observer

Quote:
Chicago's location is far more important than many of the cities we are discussing. There simply MUST be a city at that location.
That was true for 19th century transport modes, but no longer. Not much freight gets transferred from lake boats to boxcars any more. Though Chicago's rôle as a classic entrepôt had a long tail—big rail classification yards, O'Hare as a multicarrier hub, option trading at the Board of Trade—there's no longer any geographic reason for any of those, just inertia. Chicago's raison d'être escapes to places with cheaper land, lower labor costs, better weather or scenery, more emphasis on education.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Sort of the point isn't it? The industrial 'hangover' is most visible in (has had the largest impact on) the rustbelt of which Chicago is A or THE regional hub.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2015, 8:14 PM

Quote:
If anyone here wants to get serious about why Chicago lost population in the 00s, and is at best flattish thus far this decade (while peer cities have steadily grown, ie how is Chicago most importantly different), then you need to really dig into what I was touching on earlier - Chicago's extraordinarily acute racial-socioeconomic (but I think most especially racial) segregation.......the answer is very much connected to this, unfortunately. And, LVDW, if comments related to this weren't among the top hits of your Europeans, they either are ahitty Europeans, or only saw the narrow 'happy talk' slice of Chicago (but still should have at least observed the wildly disproportionate downtown African American homeless population (in my experience, virtually all Europeans I know - very much including Britons - have remarked about this on their first Chicago visit.....)
I don't want to play down Chicago's segregation problems, but one of the reasons for NYC, LA, Miami, etc's continued growth while we slumped, is that they are all major ports of entry. They all have a much larger percentage of foreign born residents than we do and NYC's foreign born pop is larger than Chicago's total.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development