HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

399 Fremont Street in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 3:47 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
I hope they don't stop there. I am counting down the days until the homeless shelter comes down.
Me too! They appear to be removing asbestos from that eyesore in preparation for its fate. It shouldn't be much longer.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Last edited by peanut gallery; Dec 6, 2007 at 4:21 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2007, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Me too! They appear to be removing asbestos from that eyesore in preparation for its fate. It shouldn't be much longer.
Although shiny new highrises are the ultimate goal, it will be incredible to see how this demolition will clean up the street. It is amazing that I can walk down 1st Street and feel like I'm in a nice area, but then I walk on Fremont and it is a bit scary.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:54 AM

I walked by yesterday and noticed that the demolition timeline states that it will last until 1/26/08. I'm sure they've baked in some time for overruns and for the disposal of the material. I wouldn't be surprised if all three buildings are completely demolished by the new year. What a great Christmas present this is for myself and other Rincon Hill residents.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 2:57 AM
BANNED

^^^I've never seen a demo permit for the building on the corner where all the homeless sneak in and crash and, believe me, I've looked for one. At 45 Lansing, the actual demo was finished weeks or even months before the expiration of the street use permit. Hope you aren't disappointed about that corner building but I think you may be.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2007, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
^^^I've never seen a demo permit for the building on the corner where all the homeless sneak in and crash and, believe me, I've looked for one. At 45 Lansing, the actual demo was finished weeks or even months before the expiration of the street use permit. Hope you aren't disappointed about that corner building but I think you may be.
Perhaps I mis-spoke. Its not the same demo permit as you saw at 45 Lansing or on the buildings themselves. The demolition team has closed off the sidewalk and there have been signs posted that state that the sidewalk will be closed from 11-21-07 through 1-26-08. I don't know about you, but that's a pretty clear cut sign for me that the demolition will be complete in the next 6 weeks. Another sign is that they have fenced off all the areas, including the homeless shelter.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 12:30 AM
North Beach

Gone.

Next.

You can just kiss -- kiss WHAT? We need to know!

The last bits:

A new pincer machine today:

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:18 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
I don't know about you, but that's a pretty clear cut sign for me that the demolition will be complete in the next 6 weeks. Another sign is that they have fenced off all the areas, including the homeless shelter.
Yes it is. And here's the visual proof:

They are clearly prepping this thing for its imminent demise. It looks like they've finished the asbestos removal work as those signs are gone, but I could still hear workmen inside. And just to make sure, I asked the supervisor-looking gentleman from Silverado who confirmed everything to the corner is coming down. His guess was that they'd start construction in Spring.

As Dave's photo above shows, the auto body shop is ready for demo as well. Here's another view of it:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:25 AM
North Beach

Incidentially, the Apostleship of the Sea is a Catholic sailor's organization, AFAICS. Was this building converted for use as a homeless shelter, or are you guys referring to random squatters?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:25 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Here are a few shots I took maybe an hour before Dave's.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:28 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
Incidentially, the Apostleship of the Sea is a Catholic sailor's organization, AFAICS. Was this building converted for use as a homeless shelter, or are you guys referring to random squatters?
Actually, both. It was converted to a homeless shelter and most recently was used by squatters (as was the auto body shop).

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 5:45 AM
North Beach

I like that third to last one. The auto body shop seems pretty insubstantial. They'll probably get it down lightning quick.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 9:06 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Thanks! Yeah, it's much smaller and it looks like they'll rip right through it.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
They are clearly prepping this thing for its imminent demise. It looks like they've finished the asbestos removal work as those signs are gone, but I could still hear workmen inside. And just to make sure, I asked the supervisor-looking gentleman from Silverado who confirmed everything to the corner is coming down. His guess was that they'd start construction in Spring.
As much as I'd like to see construction start in the spring, I think two key things need to happen first for this to occur.

1 - Fifield needs to find another developer to buy the property.
2 - The housing market needs to pick up somewhat or the mortgage market needs to loosen.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2007, 10:32 PM
North Beach

Chomping up the rubble:

Interesting how they can separate out the rebar from the concrete so easily. No "trees" in sight.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:09 AM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
As much as I'd like to see construction start in the spring, I think two key things need to happen first for this to occur.

1 - Fifield needs to find another developer to buy the property.
2 - The housing market needs to pick up somewhat or the mortgage market needs to loosen.
He said it without much conviction. I'm pretty sure he had at least the second caveat in mind. As much as I want to see this and the second ORH rise together across from each other, I don't see it happening. Frankly, I'd be happy to see construction start on this anytime next year.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 11:24 PM
North Beach

For some reason it appears to be necessary to strip off this wooden cladding before demolishing the auto body shop:

Despite the huge size of this machine, the operator has little difficulty maneuvering it such that only the wood is removed:

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 12:38 AM

^It makes recycling the wood products easier if you don’t have to sift through all the rubble.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 10:32 PM
North Beach

Most of the body shop was a big empty space, now gone:

Sorting rebar:

This is the last photo set until after Christmas, peanut gallery will have to keep us updated!

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 12:28 AM

Wow, that Body Shop went quickly. After hearing all the delays about the Californian I was beginning to think that the homeless shelter never would get torn down.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2007, 5:07 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
This is the last photo set until after Christmas, peanut gallery will have to keep us updated!
Will do, at least for another week. I'll be away from the city most of the two weeks between 12/21 and 1/7. I'll probably pop down sometime in there and will try to swing by the usual spots. Have a good trip, Dave!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive