HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:46 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
You would think Brad would be aware of this and be pushing for a Transit Master Plan before relooking at Blueprint Denver.
Maybe the City is sick of getting sued for doing exactly what it said it'd do in its comprehensive plan, and then again in its updated zoning code.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:48 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
3. Protip: Set the video to 2x speed.
Howwww??

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:17 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Howwww??

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Howwww??
Can't do it through flash, have to enable HTML5...then you can do it like Cirrus showed above.

http://lifehacker.com/5491852/enable...ack-in-youtube
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:19 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Bunt runs his life out of his iPhone. He's going to have to suffer the full 18 minutes.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:32 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Bunt runs his life out of his iPhone. He's going to have to suffer the full 18 minutes.
This is correct. If Apple can't do it, it doesn't need to be done.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
Can't do it through flash, have to enable HTML5...then you can do it like Cirrus showed above.

http://lifehacker.com/5491852/enable...ack-in-youtube
Thanks. Unfortunately not only am I a flasher but stuck with Ogg Theora as well. But at least now I know.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Cool.

1. Meh. Every city has ugly sections like that, often between the airport & downtown. Here's the view on the train into Paris from CDG airport.
That one picture of the one building is already 10x better than the abandon dirty looking warehouses you see for 75% of the trip. Hopefully it is non stop from DUS to DIA.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
That one picture of the one building is already 10x better than the abandon dirty looking warehouses you see for 75% of the trip. Hopefully it is non stop from DUS to DIA.
A one stop at Peoria from DIA to Lodo would be great, but due to the lack of passing tracks at a station or three, those that schedule trains will tell you it is impossible. If you run an express on a track without passing in the same direction tracks, all traffic ahead of the express time wise equal to the net time savings will have to be off the right-of-way ahead of the express. This is a silly design flaw considering that there is ample room to do this at all almost all the station locations.*

This all gets a bit more complicated when one throws in the 1 track segment of the line.

For the record, a train with one stop averaging 60 mph would take around 23 minutes from DIA to DUS, a approximately 20 minute savings from a local type train. From Peoria 8 to 10 minutes.

Now THAT would be world class. However,............

*The argument about having to have pedestrian station bridges or tunnels really does not hold water. All really that is needed is a level walkway at near track top levels across 3 tracks at a couple of stations (Although I admit an overhead pass and fenced off express tracks would copy what most of the rest of the world is doing.) This is what is known as high (in the bureaucracy) stupidity.

http://www.vtpi.org/gentraf.pdf

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:22 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
Abandoned? Considering the industrial vacancy rate in Denver is below 4% I don't think that those buildings are abandoned. Besides, it gives a bit of the grit the makes a real city with production and distribution, not those shitty non-descript buildings where the leaches of capitalism such as bankers reside.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
abandoned? Considering the industrial vacancy rate in denver is below 4% i don't think that those buildings are abandoned. Besides, it gives a bit of the grit the makes a real city with production and distribution, not those shitty non-descript buildings where the leaches of capitalism such as bankers reside.
lol! I would be more expletive if it wasn't so often true.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizened Variations View Post
A one stop at Peoria from DIA to Lodo would be great, but due to the lack of passing tracks at a station or three, those that schedule trains will tell you it is impossible. If you run an express on a track without passing in the same direction tracks, all traffic ahead of the express time wise equal to the net time savings will have to be off the right-of-way ahead of the express. This is a silly design flaw considering that there is ample room to do this at all almost all the station locations.*

This all gets a bit more complicated when one throws in the 1 track segment of the line.

For the record, a train with one stop averaging 60 mph would take around 23 minutes from DIA to DUS, a approximately 20 minute savings from a local type train. From Peoria 8 to 10 minutes.
The DIA station has room for one more platform and two additional tracks that could be used for an express train in the future. At least they planned ahead there. Downtown-DIA in 23 minutes would be amazing. What will it be with 8 stations, I've heard 38 minutes but that seems too fast with that many stops.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 2:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
The DIA station has room for one more platform and two additional tracks that could be used for an express train in the future. At least they planned ahead there. Downtown-DIA in 23 minutes would be amazing. What will it be with 8 stations, I've heard 38 minutes but that seems too fast with that many stops.
The problem, sir, is not the terminal ends-DUS and DIA but the lack of 3 or 4 tracks at any intermediate stations.

Expresses force slower traffic ahead of them and going in the same direction to pull off the main track.

Let's say an express leaves DIA and takes 24 minutes to get to DUS. That means that any train ahead of the express has 24 minutes to get to DUS. Assuming the DIA train takes 40 minutes, that means a DIA train will catch any local train that left DIA in the last 16 minutes. But, the problem simply is not with that train. This mans that any train ahead of the 2nd train has to be able to get to DUS in 24 minutes or less also. Assuming a 15 minute buffer between trains and the additional complexity for scheduling over the single track interval, then this express indirectly affects scheduling as close as 9 or less minutes out of DUS at time when the train leaves DIA for DUS. Put stations into the equation and the relationship becomes more complex. Without passing tracks, trains travel the line at the speed of the slowest train of any train in front of the express at any given time, i.e., take the slowest of trains ahead at time T then take the increment of that slowest speed, and, that affects all travel in that direction at the time the slowest train travels that increment.

With passing tracks the minutes added for trains to wait being passed can be subtracted from express train's travel time to a maximum track speed. Over most of the DIA line this will be 79 mph.

With 3 track stations (the center being switchable passing track that take traffic from both directions, trains going in the same direction can pass one another. You don't need more than two or three 3 or 4 tracked intermediate stations to enable 5 or even 4 minute headways while running expresses (figure is higher due to single track sections.)

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 3:45 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

In a non-conspiracy type conversation, what are everyone's thoughts on I-70?

Other Cities Look to Tear Down Their Old Highways, But Not Denver

Quote:

Denver has one of those golden opportunities that many American cities are seizing: An elevated highway that damaged neighborhoods is nearing the end of its life, giving the city an opening to repair the harm.

Unfortunately, as Tanya has reported, Denver seems poised to double down on highway building instead. The city is looking to bury and widen Interstate 70 through the Elyria-Swansea neighborhood, then cap a small section. The $1.8 billion proposal would add four lanes to I-70 — two in each direction — for a total of 10 lanes.

While Denver has been booming in general, the neighborhoods bisected by I-70, which was laid down through the city in the 1950s, haven’t shared in the good fortune. Thanks to the many trucks roaring through and the eyesore of the elevated highway, Elyria-Swansea and nearby communities suffer from excessive traffic, environmental problems, and disinvestment.

Proponents of the highway plan call it a “corridor of opportunity” and are promising a network of parks, open space, and transit. A big sweetener is the proposed 800-foot-long park they say would be built on the highway lid.

But according to community activist and former City Council member Susan Barnes-Gelt, the design does little to mend connections between the two neighborhoods. She says there’s no excuse for widening highways through urban neighborhoods in an age when many cities are choosing to tear them down.

In a Denver Post editorial earlier this year, Barnes-Gelt wrote that under Mayor Michael Hancock, what could have been a big step forward for the city is “morphing back into a highway project.” It’s especially disappointing considering Denver’s recent history of smart planning, she said.

“This is what happens when people that can make a difference don’t pay attention,” she told Streetsblog.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:33 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Early reports said 29 minutes, I think current plan is like 34.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 5:39 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:

I say build it, build it yesterday. I will not accept that the highway is the problem in that neighborhood until somebody can explain away to me how Washington Park manages to be one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the city being bisected by a highway with the exact same sort of design. It's anti-car BS to continue to spout the myth that highways destroy all neighborhoods. We've got wealthy folk on this very forum - one of them named Ken - who live within 100 feet of a highway. Hasn't pushed Ken to crime and food stamps yet.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 6:14 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Speaking of I-70, I bet all of these people would take a train to the ski resorts. I hear the snow is great in mid-July.

This highway doesn't need expansion, not at all. Maybe a bike path is what we really need?

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 9:57 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

What's up with the straw men, bunt? NAGL on you.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 12:55 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

What happened to widening I-270 and/or utilizing the ROW of the abandoned railroad track nearby build an alternative route?

Then the original I-70 could be torn down. This also has the advantage of avoiding construction related closures until the very day the new route opens.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2014, 1:24 AM

Quote:

This shouldn't be too bad, if only they could cover more of I-70, say..... from Colorado Blvd to I-25, and make it so that the cover would be continuous and actually joining the neighborhoods involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
What happened to widening I-270 and/or utilizing the ROW of the abandoned railroad track nearby build an alternative route?

Then the original I-70 could be torn down. This also has the advantage of avoiding construction related closures until the very day the new route opens.

That would involve adding several miles (I'm guessing here maybe 10 or so more miles? ) onto a heavily traveled route. I would think that a cost/benefit type of study would need to be done to consider all of the extra fuel spent on the longer route to having a shorter route that's basically a buried freeway in some parts. And just from that, maybe keeping the shorter route would make better economics?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West