HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
They are a clothing store? Men and women?
fashion and home fashion...aimed at a young, hip urban clientelle

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 5:13 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualman57 View Post
fashion and home fashion...aimed at a young, hip urban clientelle
Would explain why Keith isn't in the know with who they are

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaliStreaks View Post
Would explain why Keith isn't in the know with who they are
Quite true. Young, trendy and hip I am not. Regret the first, not the other two.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Quite true. Young, trendy and hip I am not. Regret the first, not the other two.
Get down to the record stores today.....lots of hipsters about on 'Record Store Day '
Or visit my basement and pick up some freebies from my 5,000+ collection

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 4:16 PM

Well I looked them up on line, most of the men's clothing look line thrift store style.

Furniture and décor looks like Pier 1 last time I looked there, low price and nothing of quality.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 5:19 PM

Surprisingly Abercrombie & Fitch is resuming its Canadian expansion after 5 years of having only 4 Canadian stores. Vancouver is getting one finally this summer and Winnipeg is rumoured to be getting one as well. I wouldnt be surprised to see one in the HSC renovation opening Fall 2016 considering most of their Canadian stores are in newly renovated malls and the Hollister here performs very well

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 1:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visualman57 View Post
...aimed at a young, hip urban clientelle
As defined by who? The store who wants to sell you stuff?

Regardless, I wish them much success on Barrington.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icetea93 View Post
Surprisingly Abercrombie & Fitch is resuming its Canadian expansion after 5 years of having only 4 Canadian stores. Vancouver is getting one finally this summer and Winnipeg is rumoured to be getting one as well. I wouldnt be surprised to see one in the HSC renovation opening Fall 2016 considering most of their Canadian stores are in newly renovated malls and the Hollister here performs very well
Another store that is on a slow Canada expansion is Lego, which would be smart for MicMac to go after

Old Posted Apr 21, 2015, 9:35 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

According to Retail Insider, Kit & Ace, a Lulu Lemon brand, has pegged Halifax as a location for one of their new stores.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxRetales View Post
Another store that is on a slow Canada expansion is Lego, which would be smart for MicMac to go after
A WHOLE STORE FULL OF LEGO?!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 7:46 AM
Dartmouth Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I got to go to one when I was in Texas a few years back at one of the really upscale malls just outside of Dallas.. it was AMAZING. Sets as far as the eye could see.. and the best part was? In the back of the store they just had bins (like at bulk barn) of different bricks that you paid for by weight!

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I've been to the ones in Vancouver, Munich, and Vienna. They are indeed very awesome. They have a whole bunch of the larger sets you can't get in regular stores. All of the adult-oriented sets, like the Architecture line, can be found there.

It would be awesome to have a LEGO Store in Halifax... though I'm not holding my breath in the near term. I know part of their calculus is how big of a fan community (LEGO builders clubs, etc.) the area has, and I'm not sure there's a whole lot of that around here yet. I'd be curious to know how Atlantic Canada measures up in terms of orders from their online store.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2015, 5:21 PM

I went to a Lego store about 3 years ago in Chicago. They also had real life size characters in the mall - maybe a couple sitting on a bench or a guy leaning on a post, etc, fabulous

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:13 PM
DRINK

Halifax your lack of convience stores and liqour stores downtown is confusing. Is there not some sort of conveince store like a 7-11 other than that tiny little thing next to the ferry terminal? Otherwise, highly enjoying my time here.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
Halifax your lack of convience stores and liqour stores downtown is confusing. Is there not some sort of conveince store like a 7-11 other than that tiny little thing next to the ferry terminal? Otherwise, highly enjoying my time here.
We're not chock-a-block with liquor stores (most Canadian cities outside of Quebec and Alberta aren't, since it's all provincially operated retailers, so you'll find at best one booze shop per neighbourhood).

Just google "NSLC" in google maps to see all the liquor stores, though; there are a few downtown and near downtown. (Including one in Scotia Square, near the food court.) There are also two private stores with better selections of wine and spirits: Port of Wines on Doyle Street, and Bishop's Cellar on Water Street. And if you're in the North End, Rockhead Wine and Beer has a great selection of Atlantic craft beers.

There's a little convenience store next to the Starbucks on Barrington. Plus a Lawtons and a Shoppers Drug Mart on Spring Garden.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
It's true, the downtown core does lack in the convenience store realm. What we do have for convenience stores are typically small, not very visible, and not always open (how is that convenient??). Hopefully as some of the major residential projects go up in the core that'll drive someone to open a proper convenience store.

As Drybrain said, most liquor stores are NSLCs, expect for a few private specialty wine and beer stores. When I think about it it's actually shocking how many there within a few blocks of downtown.
- Barrington Superstore
- Queen St. Sobeys
- Clyde St.
- Port of Wines on Doyle St.
- Scotia Square
- Bishops Cellar specialty store in Bishop's Landing

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 3:38 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Our version of 7-11 is called "Needs" and there is a few scattered around central Halifax. Not so much right downtown but there's a 24 hour Shoppers on Spring Garden which has pretty much anything you'd expect to find in a convenience store. There's a Needs on the corner of Windsor and Chebucto Rd. and on Queen near Sobeys (which owns Needs). I believe both are 24 hour.

Come to think of it, there's a 24 hour full size supermarket right on the southern edge of downtown (Barrington Superstore). Most grocery stores have a built in liquor store (including Barrington) but I'm not sure if they're open 24 hour or not. Certain parts of the stores close down while the rest stays opens.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
There are also two private stores with better selections of wine and spirits: Port of Wines on Doyle Street, and Bishop's Cellar on Water Street.
Small correction: Port Of Wines is actually an NSLC store.

http://www.mynslc.com/Pages/storeDet...oreNumber=2160

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Just google "NSLC" in google maps to see all the liquor stores, though; there are a few downtown and near downtown. (Including one in Scotia Square, near the food court.) There are also two private stores with better selections of wine and spirits: Port of Wines on Doyle Street, and Bishop's Cellar on Water Street. And if you're in the North End, Rockhead Wine and Beer has a great selection of Atlantic craft beers.
This should be corrected. The private stores hardly have a better selection of anything (excepting Rockhead with craft beer). They do not carry mass market products but instead have a small range of niche products that the NSLC chose not to carry. If you want Keith's, Molson, Gallo, Captain Morgan, Smirnoff, etc, you will have to go to the NSLC stores. If you want something different that you probably never heard of, the private stores are good for that.

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 9:35 PM
DRINK

I'm used to pulling into a 711 or Macs to pick up chew. Can't find a specialty tabacco store eiher. Any suggestions? Staying at the Marriott water front.

Blown away with all the constuctiin both downtown and on the way to the BMO arena in bedford. Was not expecting that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General