HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 8:20 AM

I love this city

Seriously. Been living downtown for about three months now. An absolute thrill and you feel like you're a part of something special with the changes happening in the area. Loving it! We're taking our rightful place in the pantheon of great Canadian cities.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 4:15 PM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Seriously. Been living downtown for about three months now. An absolute thrill and you feel like you're a part of something special with the changes happening in the area. Loving it! We're taking our rightful place in the pantheon of great Canadian cities.
Most certainly. Lots happening in downtown. The next 3-5 years will be transformational.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 5:42 PM

The wife and I went to Koutouki Taverna. Before we went there we took a tour of the great cement pour at the COE. The buzz and the traffic Downtown was truly amazing.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 7:04 PM
Community Guy

Truly an amazing time to be living in this city, specifically downtown.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 7:33 PM
Change is good

fist bump!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2014, 10:08 PM

+1!

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Truly an amazing time to be living in this city, specifically downtown.
Yep. Cranes are popping up everywhere. Nice.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2014, 2:45 AM

Roger that. Been downtown now for 5 months and lovin it as well. Awesome time to move to this city.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 12:04 AM

Hi everyone. I registered on the forum because of this thread.

I too am relatively new to this city (moved to Edmonton from Vancouver a little over 1.5 years ago). However, I've never been very enthusiastic about this city. I've never hated it, but I haven't loved it either. The recent downtown developments, the river valley and still somewhat affordable real estate are definitely the bright spots for me.

I'm in Vancouver right now and over the past 2 days I've visited a few presentation centers for condos under construction in the heart of the city. I still can't make up my mind about where to buy: Edmonton or Vancouver. I'd love to own in Edmonton for a few different reasons:

1) I work and live in Edmonton.

2) Prices are nowhere near as insane as Vancouver (in downtown Edmonton prices seems to be around 300-400 dollars a square foot while in downtown Vancouver, units in the most affordable buildings were around 600-700 dollars a square foot and more. I was looking at a unit on the 29th storey of a 40 storey tower and it was going for 445K without parking (that was an additional 35K, which was 15k less than parking in another unit I was looking at). That's close to 500K for a unit that's barely over 600 sf!!

3) Growth potential of downtown Edmonton.

4) Value for money. I can understand not getting parking in downtown Vancouver, that's normal, but 50k for a parking spot in the same building that's under construction is ridiculous. Not having AC or floor heating in every unit is even more ridiculous when every single unit is going for 400K plus.

The major problem I've found with Edmonton is SUPPLY! Everything I've put my finger on has been sold out. It seems like my trip to Vancouver caused me to miss out on the Jasper House as well.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:03 PM
So very tired...

I am also very happy to say that after 3.5 wonderful years in Old Strathcona I will be moving downtown at the end of this month, and will have myself a fancy new 104 Street address. I am very excited to be closer to the action. I am predicting I will have a large bump in motivation to get both construction update shots and in general urban photography.

And I will finally have a reason to come down and get myself a DECL membership. See you soon, neighbors...

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 10:33 PM
Community Guy

Welcome to the dark side

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton