HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 22, 2016, 11:56 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
There will be expansion at the refinery (not a second refinery).
There will be new hires over the next number of years. More good news coming folks.
Both of these are already known quantities.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:05 PM

Updated title of the thread to include the proposed height of 59 meters (~194 feet)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 6:42 PM

^ Thanks! So that makes it our second tallest building between Brunswick Square at 80.8 m and City Hall at 55.2 m. It must have much higher ceiling heights than many of our other office buildings then, as the JD Irving tower is 14 storeys and yet 9 m shorter than this proposal.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 2:01 AM
Unregistered Loser

I'm glad the waterfront proposal didn't go through. This is a much better plan IMO, and it helps to fill in a parking lot at the same time. The old Eider Rock offices and Paramount theatre also make a good place to build something nice...maybe someday.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helladog View Post
I'm glad the waterfront proposal didn't go through. This is a much better plan IMO, and it helps to fill in a parking lot at the same time. The old Eider Rock offices and Paramount theatre also make a good place to build something nice...maybe someday.
Agreed. Long Wharf has so much potential and should not be taken up by a single office building, no matter how much effort you into beautification. A 4-plex rink is the best option in my Fredericton opinion (as a person who watched firsthand as Freddy made the huge mistake of opening a pair of 2-plexes as far from each other as possible) along with large measures to combat highway noise. This is a ways off for a city as strapped for cash as SJ but it would be worth the wait.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 8:41 PM

I'd love to see the hideous, windowless building on the corner of King Square North and Sydney St razed next and have something relatively large fill up both that lot and the empty lot next door.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2016, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnEh View Post
I'd love to see the hideous, windowless building on the corner of King Square North and Sydney St razed next and have something relatively large fill up both that lot and the empty lot next door.
I believe that is currently an Irving Oil building so will be interesting to see what happens once the new HQ is built.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2016, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
There will be expansion at the refinery (not a second refinery).
I hope you're right about this.

But to do anything with the crude that would come from out west via Energy East, a coking unit of some sort will need to be installed.

These are not cheap.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 11:38 PM

Project is now on hold.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 12:07 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Why?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 12:30 AM

Im on my phone at the moment. So can't really retype the lengthy article from thr TJ. But if you have a subscription, and are on a computer, feel free to provide the jist of it for us.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 1:29 AM
Unregistered Loser

Ever since it was announced, I had the sneaking suspicion it was about politics, ie: a better deal on rent.

Edit: Now that I have the details, I understand one person wants to hold this up, though I'm not sure exactly why, when the citizens seem to be for it.

Last edited by Helladog; Apr 4, 2016 at 4:18 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 2:14 AM

Really? I just had a meeting with their people two days ago about this project and the surveyors have been on-site the last few days too.

EDIT: I see from a quick twitter search that it has something to do with an appeal from Jim Bezanson, not sure the details

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 3:51 AM
ハルウララ

On Hold doesn't mean canceled, for those of you jumping the gun. Big projects in larger cities take years and years to even get started. IIRC Irving made an announcement for the project without even filing zoning paperwork with the City.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 2:46 PM

It's in the April 2nd TJ. Read it this morning.

Someone who owns the apartment building across from the site has filed an appeal against the project, claiming the city isn't following the proper guidelines for it or something like that. (I only skimmed the article after a midnight Magic Prerelease event, so my memory is foggy).

I'm sure this will be settled fairly quickly, but until dates are set to settle this, everything is on hold.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
It's in the April 2nd TJ. Read it this morning.

Someone who owns the apartment building across from the site has filed an appeal against the project, claiming the city isn't following the proper guidelines for it or something like that. (I only skimmed the article after a midnight Magic Prerelease event, so my memory is foggy).

I'm sure this will be settled fairly quickly, but until dates are set to settle this, everything is on hold.
The man who filed the appeal is the former head of the heritage department in Saint John. Apparently only HE is able to determine what is appropriate...there's an agenda here folks and it makes me sick. I understand that a solution will not be quick and council is meeting to review options. I hope that the province steps in and ends this....maybe emergency legislation? This must be solved. We cannot afford another huge project like this to be killed by one bitter old man.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 11:03 AM

Based on what I could glean from the article in the TJ, the appeal may be based on the jurisdiction of Saint John's Heritage Development Board to approve the project despite the need for some variances (height and setback, at least) to the requirements of the Heritage Conservation Areas By-law. The by-law does give the Board some leeway to vary these requirements.

Outside of the heritage issue, similar kinds of requirements would apply in all areas of a city. The planning advisory committee would have authority to grant variances. The building permit process would normally trigger the need for a variance to be granted. I see from the Heritage Conservation Areas by-law that a building permit is still required, outside of the certificate of appropriateness from the board, so whether the normal planning approval process has taken place or not it would have to before the project is built.

Whatever the motives or intentions of the appellant, I imagine that the appeals process and the city's normal building permit approval process will look after this situation correctly without the need for the Province to do anything special.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKay View Post
Based on what I could glean from the article in the TJ, the appeal may be based on the jurisdiction of Saint John's Heritage Development Board to approve the project despite the need for some variances (height and setback, at least) to the requirements of the Heritage Conservation Areas By-law. The by-law does give the Board some leeway to vary these requirements.

Outside of the heritage issue, similar kinds of requirements would apply in all areas of a city. The planning advisory committee would have authority to grant variances. The building permit process would normally trigger the need for a variance to be granted. I see from the Heritage Conservation Areas by-law that a building permit is still required, outside of the certificate of appropriateness from the board, so whether the normal planning approval process has taken place or not it would have to before the project is built.

Whatever the motives or intentions of the appellant, I imagine that the appeals process and the city's normal building permit approval process will look after this situation correctly without the need for the Province to do anything special.
That is correct, the sooner the better.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 9:55 PM

Hopefully this gets resolved soon without delaying construction too long.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:21 AM

I am sure Mr Bezanson is feeling the weight of his decision to oppose this development, the backlash has been fast and furious it seems. My FB is plastered with "I support the Irving HO" memes..lol

http://country94.ca/news/1285327379/...-irving-oil-hq
http://country94.ca/news/225493677/i...t-officer-says
http://country94.ca/news/993204695/l...rving-hq-delay
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...ters-1.3519826
http://huddle.today/irving-oil-hq-on-hold/

pressure is mounting

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces