HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:33 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

traveling to door county/green bay, wi area...

hello, got a group of early 30s guys going to this area of wisconsin, just looking for a place to go on a pub crawl, and some lake/beachside watering holes. quirky motels maybe with a bar.

halp?

Old Posted May 28, 2014, 2:40 PM

main nightlife strip in green bay?

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 2:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

for whatever reason, we don't seem to have many sconie forumers on SSP, they all post over on SSC.

i can't help you at all with green bay (i've only driven through it numerous times, never stopped to explore), but i have gone to door county a number of times on camping trips, so again i won't be much help to offer specific bars or nightlife areas. my nightlife experiences in door county involve sipping whiskey out of the bottle around a campfire with friends listening to waves lap the shore while faint glimmers of the northern lights punctuate a star-filled sky. peninsula and newport state parks are both fantastic for camping and hiking.

if you want to do a stereotypical touristy thing in door county, find a restaurant that has a fish boil.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:55 PM
devout Pizzatarian

two more ideas:

go to the very tip of the peninsula and take the ferry over to washington island, rent mopeds and mess around exploring the island on two wheels.

load up a cooler full of beer & sandwiches and charter a fishing boat for the morning or afternoon. the lake trout and salmon are plentiful up there and quite tasty. plus you'll be drinking on a boat, which is always nice. i think any of the small towns along the shore like egg harbor, fish creek, sister bay, etc. offer fishing charters.

sorry i don't have suggestions about pub-crawls, nightlife and partying, door county doesn't really have that kinda vibe, it's more chill and relaxed vacation country.

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 7:58 PM
The City

^ Yeah I was gonna say, I've never been to Door County but I know plenty of people who have. Where did you get the idea that this is some sort of "bar-hopping" town full of clubs and nightlife? Mostly it is families who go there for the scenery, nature, camping, boating, etc etc from what I hear.

Don't get me wrong, if you want to go to a bar I'm sure there are some, but I'd hardly expect Fort Lauderdale.

By the way Steely, what is Washington Island like? Is it actually inhabited or is it a nature-y kind of place?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 29, 2014, 8:12 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
By the way Steely, what is Washington Island like? Is it actually inhabited or is it a nature-y kind of place?
it's inhabited and it's still kinda natural. the middle part has a bunch of farms and shit, the edges and shoreline tend to be more wooded and natural. there's a VERY small town (if you can even call it that) at the southern tip where the ferry dock is. my guess is that the population of the entire island is measured in the hundreds, and it's a pretty big island.

i just remembered a good watering hole, i think it's called "sister bay bowling alley" in sister bay, they do a great perch fry on friday night (but so do about a million other wisconsin restaurants). anyway it's good for getting a good meal, then throwing a game or two of bowling, and then hunkering down at the bar for a session. like i said, most of the time when i'm door county, i'm camping so i'm not usually looking for that kinda stuff, but that was a pretty cool place i stopped at with friends one time.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
two more ideas:

go to the very tip of the peninsula and take the ferry over to washington island, rent mopeds and mess around exploring the island on two wheels.
I've actually done that before, and then camped on rock island.

the trip fell apart, unfortunately.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest