HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     
Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5241  
Old Posted Yesterday, 1:15 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,146
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...t-blossom.html

Blossom Plaza





and the Cornfield Park, still being remodeled

__________________
Building Los Angeles
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5242  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:53 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat23 View Post
http://buildinglosangeles.blogspot.c...t-blossom.html

and the Cornfield Park, still being remodeled

Access seems somewhat limited on the park. Do they plan to bridge the tracks and the road?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5243  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:28 PM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
Access seems somewhat limited on the park. Do they plan to bridge the tracks and the road?
No, all the access is on the east/south side (the right hand side of the photo) from N Spring St. The train is security fenced off on either side between the park and up the steep hill to broadway. I'm not even sure there are sidewalks on Broadway on that side up there. Most people will be coming from the metro station area and N Spring, which is really the only viable access route.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5244  
Old Posted Yesterday, 7:59 PM
DistrictDirt's Avatar
DistrictDirt DistrictDirt is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 746
Anyone else seen this yet?




I've been waiting for someone to do a decent video of DTLA using drone footage, and this one has exceeded all my expectations.
__________________
"I personally think that one day people are going to wake up and realize that Downtown Los Angeles is one of the great downtowns in the country." - Chris Leinberger, Brookings Institution
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5245  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:12 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by DistrictDirt View Post
Anyone else seen this yet?




I've been waiting for someone to do a decent video of DTLA using drone footage, and this one has exceeded all my expectations.
Dronastically good! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5246  
Old Posted Yesterday, 10:14 PM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
No, all the access is on the east/south side (the right hand side of the photo) from N Spring St. The train is security fenced off on either side between the park and up the steep hill to broadway. I'm not even sure there are sidewalks on Broadway on that side up there. Most people will be coming from the metro station area and N Spring, which is really the only viable access route.
The six lanes are Spring St? I guess I've never been on that part of Spring. I've got to believe they will improve access after its built.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5247  
Old Posted Today, 12:39 AM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by alki View Post
The six lanes are Spring St? I guess I've never been on that part of Spring. I've got to believe they will improve access after its built.
It's called North Spring, but really it's more like a continuation of Alameda. I don't recall anything from the renderings, except that the parking lot will parallel spring and be long, rather than being interior like before. If you're not familiar with the geography, the southwest end of the park is just west of the metro stop, with the northwest side being up against the train and that steep hill. That section of Broadway above isn't pedestrian friendly at all. Nobody's walking there and I don't think there's a sidewalk on the side that faces the park. Really the only way in is along North Spring. Not a big deal though, people can walk down College to get access from above, and it's only two minutes from the metro.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5248  
Old Posted Today, 2:28 AM
Wilcal Wilcal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LA exurban wasteland
Posts: 290
I was goofing off on the internet today and found something rather interesting. The architects who are designing the Herald Examiner project, and the OH project just north of Pershing Square, also have renderings of the project for the 2.5 acre parcel just south of Fig-Central (abutting the Hooters building), which was recently purchased by Jamison and partners. I'm guessing the implication is that they are designing the project. I am not only very disappointed with the Herald Examiner, and the OH designs, I am also very disappointed with this new design. Such prominent (and historic) locations, and yet such mediocre designs. Also something strange, I noticed that the architects Harley Ellis Devereaux's Los Angeles office is in Riverside California. I know the city well since I live about 20 minutes away. It's not a bad town, I kind of like it--it's historic and somewhat suburban. However, its not exactly the big league of design firm locations. Makes you wonder why they located there and not in Los Angeles.

http://www.harleyellisdevereaux.com/...ve/market_rate
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5249  
Old Posted Today, 3:34 AM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
It's called North Spring, but really it's more like a continuation of Alameda.
I just looked at a map. I always called the street Alameda. Its almost the size of a freeway. That's why I was surprised.

Quote:
I don't recall anything from the renderings, except that the parking lot will parallel spring and be long, rather than being interior like before. If you're not familiar with the geography, the southwest end of the park is just west of the metro stop, with the northwest side being up against the train and that steep hill. That section of Broadway above isn't pedestrian friendly at all. Nobody's walking there and I don't think there's a sidewalk on the side that faces the park. Really the only way in is along North Spring. Not a big deal though, people can walk down College to get access from above, and it's only two minutes from the metro.
All for bldg new parks.......but reasonable access has to be there too.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5250  
Old Posted Today, 3:35 AM
alki alki is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
I was goofing off on the internet today and found something rather interesting. The architects who are designing the Herald Examiner project, and the OH project just north of Pershing Square, also have renderings of the project for the 2.5 acre parcel just south of Fig-Central (abutting the Hooters building), which was recently purchased by Jamison and partners. I'm guessing the implication is that they are designing the project. I am not only very disappointed with the Herald Examiner, and the OH designs, I am also very disappointed with this new design. Such prominent (and historic) locations, and yet such mediocre designs. Also something strange, I noticed that the architects Harley Ellis Devereaux's Los Angeles office is in Riverside California. I know the city well since I live about 20 minutes away. It's not a bad town, I kind of like it--it's historic and somewhat suburban. However, its not exactly the big league of design firm locations. Makes you wonder why they located there and not in Los Angeles.

http://www.harleyellisdevereaux.com/...ve/market_rate
They actually have an office in DTLA:

http://www.harleyellisdevereaux.com/locations

The link you posted doesn't work. Do you have a better one? I like to see the projects but can't find them on their website. Never mind I found it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5251  
Old Posted Today, 8:17 AM
kelbeen kelbeen is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
The architects who are designing the Herald Examiner project, and the OH project just north of Pershing Square, also have renderings of the project for the 2.5 acre parcel just south of Fig-Central (abutting the Hooters building
http://www.harleyellisdevereaux.com/...ve/market_rate
Great find!!
Here's the fixed link: http://www.harleyellisdevereaux.com/live/market_rate

Quote:
Located on the approximately 2.5-acre parcel, the project provides corner panoramic views are 648 high-end residential condominiums and over 50,000 square feet of sports-themed ground level retail space.

The units will range in size from 750 square feet to 4,000 square feet, and have been designed in a variety of configurations.

Furthering the high-tech, state-of-the-art vision for this District, an extensive LED light array with animated signage and public art wraps six above-grade parking levels (two below-grade parking levels also planned).






Once again, thanks for the find, Wilcal!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5252  
Old Posted Today, 8:21 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is online now
#GoDodgers
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,636
Well, that certainly looks better than the original "Jardin" proposal. I must say, I'm not at all a fan of twin towers.
__________________
"I'm an LA guy, can't help it." -- Tiger Woods
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5253  
Old Posted Today, 8:34 AM
Quixote's Avatar
Quixote Quixote is online now
#GoDodgers
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 4,636
Quote:
1200 South Figueroa will include the tallest reinforced concrete buildings ever constructed in Los Angeles. With its location next to the famous Staples Center, this 400 foot tall mixed-use project will consist of two 35-story residential towers over an eight level retail/parking podium and two subterranean levels. The podium, which connects the two towers, will be decorated with large scale electronic displays and integrated facade lighting to illuminate the urban landscape. The project will include an amenity level with pool, fitness gym, yoga studio and test kitchen.

The structure will be constructed of cast-in-place concrete with post-tensioned floor slabs to minimize internal columns and walls for maximum openness. CKC is proposing a combination of shear walls and ductile frames to resist seismic load.

1200 South Figueroa will be an outstanding blend of state-of-the-art engineering and attractive architecture. Construction is expected to start in late 2014.
http://www.ckcps.com/projects_mf_1200%20Figueroa.html
__________________
"I'm an LA guy, can't help it." -- Tiger Woods
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5254  
Old Posted Today, 9:32 AM
Gram3000's Avatar
Gram3000 Gram3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: dallas, tx by way of LA!!
Posts: 114
Nice find! I must say, if all goes according to plan, this next boom approaching will definitely be unprecedented! It's not impossible to imagine 20+ cranes in the sky before the end of 2015! Can't wait! Good to see some of DTLA's best days ahead!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5255  
Old Posted Today, 4:02 PM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 887
Do we know of the official status of that development? Any city docs, blackcat?

As for the design, it looks great, although I don't love the idea of identical towers. This will have a huge impact on the area, especially if they actually turn out to be condos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5256  
Old Posted Today, 5:22 PM
black_crow's Avatar
black_crow black_crow is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 14
Quote:
Cary Kopczynski & Co. promoted Ron Mirahsani to principal, and Andy Tu and Jason Thome to senior project engineers. It hired Angelia Tanamal as a design engineer, Angela Wang as a BIM modeler, and Stephanie Vincent and Kellie Filips as engineering interns. Mirahsani has 25 years experience in structural and civil engineering, 13 with CKC. He will take on more client relations and project team management work. He is managing 1200 South Figueroa, two 35-story residential towers in Los Angeles; and Golden Nugget, a casino with two hotel towers in Lake Charles, Louisiana. Tu has 11 years of experience as an engineer, seven with CKC. He is working on the Lincoln Square expansion in Bellevue and the University Village QFC parking structure. Thome has eight years of experience as an engineer, seven with CKC. He is working on Potala Tower, a residential project on Fourth Avenue in Seattle; and on a residential tower for Continental Properties at Second and Virginia in Seattle. Tanamal has four years of experience as an engineer. She is working on Potala Tower and 1200 South Figueroa. Wang has two years of experience with BIM and worked as a structural engineer in China. She is working on Lincoln Square. Vincent is pursuing a bachelor's in civil engineering at Washington State University. Filips is pursuing a bachelor's in civil engineering at Marquette University. CKC is a Bellevue-based structural engineering firm.
They already wrote a month ago about CKC and the project in L.A.. Looks like they found their team.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5257  
Old Posted Today, 5:22 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is online now
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: L.A. - Skid row adjacent
Posts: 5,742
I actually don't mind these designs - which are not too dissimilar from the original Jardin proposal, to be perfectly honest. If I had to nitpick this, I would prefer the southern tower to be flipped 180 degrees so that the towers "point" in opposite directions. With a layout like this, it makes a better cohesive design. And if they were to lop 4-5 stories from the southern tower and put them atop the northern tower, it would have a nice, subtle step down effect from LA Central immediately to the north (which would be more similar to the Jardin design, which had varied heights).

But overall, I think Harvey Ellis Devereaux did a decent job on the design, and did a much better job on the podium design than they did on The Vermont on Vermont and Wilshire (though I think the Jerde Partnership was the design architect on that one). And if the tower portions on this turn out as well as they did on The Vermont, we're in for some nice, respectable towers stretching the skyline further south. If Onni's towers across directly across Flower street go up, we could have a nice little cluster of 30-40 story towers here.
__________________
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5258  
Old Posted Today, 5:49 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by brudy View Post
Do we know of the official status of that development? Any city docs, blackcat?
They had already started pulling permits when the sale was first announced back in January. Assuming that financing is in order, a late 2014 groundbreaking seems very possible (IMO).

I haven't seen any official documents, although I believe they submitted updated plans to the city a few months back.
__________________
Building Los Angeles
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5259  
Old Posted Today, 5:55 PM
Mojeda101's Avatar
Mojeda101 Mojeda101 is online now
Doctor Burncream
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pyongyang, North Korea
Posts: 709
Take a good look at how South Figueroa looks right now, because within the next few years, Jardin, Fig Central, and the Car Wash Site will all reinvent what it looks like. It'll be completely different.
__________________
“Los Angeles is barely treading water, while the rest of the world is moving forward.”

All of my Los Angeles updates can be found on my Flickr
Any extras can be found on my Instagram
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5260  
Old Posted Today, 6:15 PM
brudy's Avatar
brudy brudy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 887
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojeda101 View Post
Take a good look at how South Figueroa looks right now, because within the next few years, Jardin, Fig Central, and the Car Wash Site will all reinvent what it looks like. It'll be completely different.
Yeah, SP is going to be an entirely different world in a 3-4 years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.