HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 10:44 PM

Hiking Hills near Milwaukee & Chicago (in Illinois or Wisconsin)

I need hills with beautiful nature that are near Chicago or Milwaukee, in Illinois or Wisconsin. Closer to both major cities is a plus. I also need a mountain-like hill that is solid on the side with a flat surface for experienced rock/mountain climbers. Something like the image below. Doesn't have to be high up, just a vertical drop to the bottom, solid rock. In fact, it's probably better if it's not high up.

Any ideas? I know, it makes more sense to look out west. You don't need to tell me that.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 9:32 AM

When I was eleven or twelve, I went rock climbing at Devil's Lake...?

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 5:45 PM

Yeah. . . Devil's Lake was my first thought. . .

. . .

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 6:40 PM
devout Pizzatarian

third suggestion for devil's lake.

i was never into rock climbing, but i had friends in high school/college who were into it and they always said that devil's lake had the best cliffs to scale in the area. in fact one of them nearly lost his life in an accident there trying to free climb a face. he fell about 50 feet and landed on a rock. he majorly messed up his spine and had to wear a halo for a long time, but miraculously he wasn't paralyzed, or worse.

also, devil's lake is very picturesque

source: http://www.mountainproject.com/v/devils-lake/105729927

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:28 AM

120 miles from Milwaukee is too far. Anything closer to Milwaukee/Chicago? I'm told 60 miles from Milwaukee is the limit (was told after I made the thread). These guys don't seem to know the area very well. :/

I'm going to push for Devil's lake if they find nothing else. Kettle Moraine State Forest North, if they absolutely have to find something within the 60 miles.

How does that sound? Is there anything better within the 60 miles?

Last edited by Xing; May 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 3:43 AM

I think 60 miles is too limited....unless you pick a rock quarry. Some of the vacated ones have gotten lots of foliage around them. So maybe it's convincing. But within 60 miles you are still within the Chicagoland urbanized area that's flat as a pancake. Even hilly areas like Galena still have rolling hills with no shear faces.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
I think 60 miles is too limited....unless you pick a rock quarry. Some of the vacated ones have gotten lots of foliage around them. So maybe it's convincing. But within 60 miles you are still within the Chicagoland urbanized area that's flat as a pancake. Even hilly areas like Galena still have rolling hills with no shear faces.
Yes, I felt the same way, it's kind of a lost cause if they want it within 60 miles , from my understanding. We can cheat it, or push for something a bit further than 60 miles, if there is anything maybe less than 100 miles from Milwaukee.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xing View Post
355 miles from Milwaukee is too far. Anything closer to Milwaukee/Chicago? I'm told 60 miles from Milwaukee is the limit (was told after I made the thread). These guys don't seem to know the area very well. :/
Did you move Devil's Lake and/or Milwaukee? Google Maps, plus my memories of the drive between the two, puts it at a distance of about 120 miles.

I'm not sure even the Kettle Moraine areas--either the North or South--have any such vertical rock surfaces you're looking for (but they'll be good for the picturesque natural hills and hiking trails you want). Looking at old quarries might be your only choice if Devil's Lake is too far. Or maybe even active quarries, if you can get permission. There's one in Racine near Douglas Ave. and 3 Mile Road.

Last edited by Markitect; May 30, 2013 at 5:30 AM.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markitect View Post
Did you move Devil's Lake and/or Milwaukee? Google Maps, plus my memories of the drive between the two, puts it at a distance of about 120 miles.

I'm not sure even the Kettle Moraine areas--either the North or South--have any such vertical rock surfaces you're looking for (but they'll be good for the picturesque natural hills and hiking trails you want). Looking at old quarries might be your only choice if Devil's Lake is too far. Or maybe even active quarries, if you can get permission. There's one in Racine near Douglas Ave. and 3 Mile Road.
I calculated the wrong location, but either way it's still twice the distance of the 60 miles. Ill give it a shot anyway.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 2:48 PM

The only terrain you are going to find within that 60 mile radius is going to be in a quarry unless you are OK with bluffs instead of rock face cliffs. The lakeshore north of Milwaukee has 200' bluffs and gorges for quite a ways and it is peppered with parks. If not, you are limited to a quarry. Everything in this part of the country was scraped flat by the glaciers except for the area around Devil's Lake which was, for some reason, avoided by the advancing ice. That area is called "The Driftless Zone" and is actually quite exotic in terms of geography.

http://boingboing.net/2012/04/27/the...wisconsin.html

Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 4:59 AM

Yeah, so Devil's Lake took the cake. Thanks guys!

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 9:57 PM

Last edited by Xing; Sep 23, 2013 at 1:27 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2013, 10:31 PM

^Nice. . .

. . .

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest