HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualize View Post
God this St Als proposal sucks. That was supposed to be a condo tower back in the day. Was still holding out hope while the land sat undeveloped. This is literally across the street from one of the best parks in the city, right on the river. What a joke. I'm betting this is more an expensive billboard for St Als than an actual market need.

Remember this?
From the 1st development thread.
Weren't there also rumors back in 2012 of an Aloft Hotel being built there? That seems viable now since the Boise Centre has been expanded.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=7011

May 13, 2012, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
I do agree about the convenience of WinCo. I get all of my shopping done between WinCo and the farmer's market, and it's really nice.

I guess I'm just glum cause the project seems like a shadow of what it originally was. Out of curiosity, I went onto the PDS online and dug up the original plans for Whole Foods:

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...07301452073900

http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH07-00287

This is what I do for fun.

http://boisetopia.com/?page_id=322

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
I really love how your city/downtown is coming together. I have only been there twice and that was many years ago. (Your jail was nice too...lol) I'm looking forward to the progress and the new projects that will be coming to you in the near future.
LOL Well at least your trip was........memorable!

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
The mix-use development at the corner of 8th and Fort at submitted applications to the city!! They have submitted a Design review, Conditional use permit and rezone application. So far no renderings, but there are some drawings. The building will have 31 residential units, 3,000 sqft of commercial space and an underground garage. It will also spruce up an existing parking lot behind the building. They will give an additional 10 ft. setback to both 8th and Fort to increase the pedestrian area. The building will be a mix of brick, sandstone, and stucco, so something similar to the Hyde Park Condos.
I fail to see the point of the additional 10 foot setback. The current building is set on the ROW line and there is effectively 12 feet of sidewalk now as the planting strip is concrete. "Increased pedestrian area" sound a lot like "increased non-permeable hard surfaced area". I hope that is not the case. There is sufficient room for trees in Silva cells and 6 foot of clear sidewalk with the existing (historic) setback.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 3:57 AM

^^ Could potentially be an attempt to create enough room for outdoor patio dining? Currently, 8th street between Main and Idaho does not really have enough room for all the outdoor seating, with people having to squeeze between the trees, newspaper boxes, and patio fencing.

I'm personally all for anything that expands the pedestrian space because I despise being stuck to a thin strip of sidewalk along a grid. The cut-through on the Afton, The Grove, and JUMP are what will make Downtown truly livable. Granted, wide open setbacks with no amenities do nothing to improve the pedestrian experience, here's hoping it has a purpose.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:57 AM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityneck View Post
I fail to see the point of the additional 10 foot setback. The current building is set on the ROW line and there is effectively 12 feet of sidewalk now as the planting strip is concrete. "Increased pedestrian area" sound a lot like "increased non-permeable hard surfaced area". I hope that is not the case. There is sufficient room for trees in Silva cells and 6 foot of clear sidewalk with the existing (historic) setback.

I think 8th and Front St. residential living is great, however the architectural drawing is terrible! It looks like the apartments in suburban Meridian surrounded by country, literally. This does not look like it belongs in downtown Boise. Why can't Boise produce more urban higher density designs... why...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post
I think 8th and Front St. residential living is great, however the architectural drawing is terrible! It looks like the apartments in suburban Meridian surrounded by country, literally. This does not look like it belongs in downtown Boise. Why can't Boise produce more urban higher density designs... why...
It's actually 8th and Fort, not 8th and Front, which makes a big difference.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 1:51 PM

If 8th and Fort ends up looking like the developers other project at 13th and Fort it will be a winner and attractive. I wouldn't judge the project yet on the rough draft we've seen posted here lol.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:06 PM

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-...ise-180963848/

Watch a 100-foot-tall Giant Sequoia Get Transplanted in Boise

A gift from John Muir, the beloved tree was transferred to a local park by St. Luke’s Medical Center so the facility can expand

Quote:
Anyone wandering the streets of Boise, Idaho early Sunday morning may have witnessed an unusual site: a 100-foot giant sequoia with a 20-foot circumference moving down the middle of the street. No, it wasn’t the Last March of the Ents. Instead, the historic tree was being transplanted from its home at St. Luke’s Medical Center to a nearby park so the medical center can expand, reports Colin Dwyer at NPR.
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post
This is the North End, not downtown. Also, this is a huge increase in density, as there will be 31 units where there previously were 0. If you have such a problem with the design of the building, do something about it and attend the design review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityneck
As someone who has personal experience living in a townhouse in a much more urban environment than the North End, the setbacks greatly increase privacy. The setbacks make sense because 8th and Fort is a major pedestrian gateway into the North End.

I can't wait to see the project go forward! Hopefully that gas station across the street is next.

Last edited by GrandTeton; Jun 30, 2017 at 7:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:02 PM

This is a great looking building!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:04 PM
Closed account

The Residence Inn by Marriott, is this the last high-rise in Boise for a long long time?
It has everything for the traveler: parking garage, pool on third floor with terrace, cafe bar and 10th floor penthouses. One with large windows facing the capital and the foothills. Street level has a great design to hide parking garage.

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Jun 30, 2017 at 9:27 PM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:06 PM

That strip center building is actually attractive. Too bad they are going to tear it down.

Quote:
A new CVS Pharmacy is planned at the corner of Capitol and Ann Morrison Park Dr. They plan on demoing the existing strip retail there and placing the store.
http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=CUP17-00048

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 1:20 AM

That didn't last long! Feels like it was just built. At least they are maintaining the same setbacks along Capitol and Ann Morrison Park Drive. That will be a nice amenity for that growing neighborhood.

Also gives me faith that the new St Als on Front will only be a placeholder until something better comes along. While we are demolishing newish buildings, can we nuke the dentist office on Main and Whitewater and build something that actually conforms to the neighborhood master plan? Speaking of that area, any word on the residential project or the community college proposed for the two giant lots over there?

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 5:08 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Quote:
Anybody else disappointed in how the silo turned out? I'm not sure what I was imagining but it wasn't this... maybe one that was stainless steel?
It reminds me of a cream ale.

Payette Brewing on the Greenbelt has stainless steel silos
I shot this back in frosty March

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 6:08 AM
Closed account

Around downtown Boise on a warm Saturday evening:
Luciano's Cafe at Whitewater Park

Play time at Whitewater Park as river flows have lowered.

Amphitheater at Simplot World Headquarters

View of Residence Inn by Marriott and Inn at 500

The new Grove Plaza

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Jul 3, 2017 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post
It reminds me of a cream ale.
Haha nice, that's a perspective I didn't think of. I like it!

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:26 PM

I'm really liking that Residence Inn. Much better looking building than its competitive neighbor.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 5:11 PM

The Afton Phase 2.

http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...50&Inline=True

Quote:
Deviations from prior approval:
The overall form and function for the building remains the same as it will provide urban
residential living, including a delightful interface with pedestrian activity along 9th and River
Streets.

• Activity at 9th and River St.- The site design is updated from having retail to now
including a dedicated area of opportunity for an interactive public art installation at the
street corner. The corner of the building is softened near the street corner, by holding
back the corner of the building at the first floor. To activate the corner, the owner will be
soliciting submissions for interactive public art installations. The goal is to have public art
that will tell the story of the neighborhood, and provide the public the ability to interact
with it or to experience it in a way to create memories at that location.
Quote:
• First floor along 9th street – Concrete CMU has been replaced with brick masonry. This will
provide a tactile facade that engages the public and relates to the warehouse district while
creating a retail storefront-like feel to the façade along 9th street.

• Relocation of Bridge - Due to building code concerns and proximity of an overhead structure along
the property line, the bridge is relocated to be closer to the plaza along River St. This will also
provide more visual interest for folks using the plaza and better relates to the warehouse feel and
history of the neighborhood.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Here are the project specific conditions. For the most part, the requirements that are reasonable and will give the building some life and interaction to the city around it.

Quote:
Site Specific Conditions

a. Provide 22-feet of back up space for all parking drive aisles.
b. Provide a 5-foot clear and unobstructed access aisle for the regular
accessible space.
c. Provide a total of 35-bicycle parking spaces with 9 of the spaces being
covered.
d. It is recommended (not required) the applicant provide bicycle parking
within the pedestrian mall to provide bicycle accommodations for visitors
and patrons.
e. Provide approximately 2,000-square feet of retail space on the ground floor
of the proposed building with glazing on 9th Street and River Street.
f. Provide 15% window transparency on 9th Street between 4-feet and 8-feet
above the sidewalk.
g. Provide 25% window transparency on River Street between 4-feet and 8-
feet above the sidewalk.
h. Eliminate the vehicle pullout on River Street and relocate the private
loading and unloading area within the proposed parking garage.
i. Widen the streetscape planter on 9th Street to be a minimum of 8-feet the
entire length of the site.
j. Adjust the street tree spacing on 9th Street to ensure the street lights are
centrally located between the street trees.
k. Add additional brick to the south and west elevations to ensure the amount
of stucco does not exceed 50% of the street facing facades.
l. Employ techniques to recess window above the ground floor a minimum of
2-inches from the façade. Submit wall sections showing the windows have
been recessed a minimum of 2-inches.
m. Mechanical units will be required to provide full height bronze colored
decorative mesh.
Though I do see them appealing condition e...
In their letter of explanation they describe the difficulty of filling the retail space on 8th.

Quote:
e. Provide approximately 2,000-square feet of retail space on the ground floor
of the proposed building with glazing on 9th Street and River Street.
This, I think, will also create some issues for them. They're going to have to take 3'-4' of space from somewhere else on the property and unfortunately it will probably come out of either the exterior public space or the live-work units in the mall area.

Quote:
a. Provide 22-feet of back up space for all parking drive aisles.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 4:26 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Destruction

R.I.P funeral home

soon to be this: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2017/...-construction/
any bets this new apartment building will be haunted?

21st and Alturas is losing its religion

Independence Day
Harrison Boulevard

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Last edited by Sawtooth; Jul 10, 2017 at 5:05 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West