HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 11:27 PM

Speaking of Google, a couple of weeks ago they installed the wiring for Google Fiber in all 600 units of the complex I live in. Since it was the apartment complex management that made the decision to do this, they were the ones who paid the $300 per unit for the installation.

When the guys were in my apartment, I asked one of them how long they were expecting it to take to get the whole city wired and he said 6 years.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Speaking of Google, a couple of weeks ago they installed the wiring for Google Fiber in all 600 units of the complex I live in. Since it was the apartment complex management that made the decision to do this, they were the ones who paid the $300 per unit for the installation.

When the guys were in my apartment, I asked one of them how long they were expecting it to take to get the whole city wired and he said 6 years.
Good info. But that means those of us living in the outer 'burbs only have to wait 10-15 years.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 12:24 AM
Meh

They started drilling the holes on our street this week near the water meters to start running the fiber optic lines through whatever corridor they have down there.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 6:43 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Honestly I'm not suprised by this news. There have been strong signs and hints that Google was likely to aquire up to 200K sf of space in this office building for months now and probably was why they started construction when they did. It's great news indeed but wasn't exactly a come out of nowhere announcement.
That's true, they didn't waste any time with starting this one so they likely had an idea beforehand. The announcement of this building was basically, "Yeah, so we're going to do another building...and here it is."

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 8:41 PM

Per courtesy notice from Beck, the office building mat foundation pour for this site will begin early morning of Saturday April 18th and continue for 24 hours. So U/C in about 4 weeks.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2015, 9:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Per courtesy notice from Beck, the office building mat foundation pour for this site will begin early morning of Saturday April 18th and continue for 24 hours. So U/C in about 4 weeks.
The notice also mentions Approx. 1100 concrete deliveries between 2AM on Saturday, April 18 and 2AM Sunday, April 19th.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherKevin View Post
The notice also mentions Approx. 1100 concrete deliveries between 2AM on Saturday, April 18 and 2AM Sunday, April 19th.
oops!

Last edited by austlar1; Mar 22, 2015 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2015, 5:33 AM

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:05 AM
Meh

I found a filing with the FAA for heights for the tower cranes. This is for air traffic safety. It states the height of at least one of the cranes will be 572 feet.

https://oeaaa.faa.gov/oeaaa/external...41146792&row=5

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:18 PM
Honored Member

I don't get why crane height for this project would exceed that for the Aloft by 200 feet, when the height difference between the two buildings will be less than 50'...?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:27 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I don't get why crane height for this project would exceed that for the Aloft by 200 feet, when the height difference between the two buildings will be less than 50'...?
Neighboring cranes' heights.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:34 AM

April 16, 2015

Old Posted Apr 18, 2015, 1:52 AM

Beck can't like that red crane.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 12:06 AM

There is a massive cement pour going on right now. It's being pumped in from several spots around the pit and APD is directing an ongoing convoy of cement trucks.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 3:42 PM

This may be the best picture ever posted on this forum. It's astounding. I can't stop looking at it. I know it's Austin, but it looks so foreign to me. Nearly all of the structures/projects in this picture are brand new. That whole area is amazing. I can't wait until Austin Proper and The Independent get underway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
April 16, 2015

[/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 19, 2015, 7:45 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
This may be the best picture ever posted on this forum. It's astounding. I can't stop looking at it. I know it's Austin, but it looks so foreign to me. Nearly all of the structures/projects in this picture are brand new. That whole area is amazing. I can't wait until Austin Proper and The Independent get underway.
I thought the exact same thing when I first saw that picture, and I've saved it so I can share it with friends who haven't been here in several years. I can say, "Nothing higher than 2 stories in this photo was here when you last came to visit. Remember when I took you to Whole Foods? It's right next to those 3 towers in the distance on the right side of the photo." And to think that this only captures one limited area, albeit the one that is the most dominated by new construction.

This photo could be used as the basis for a misbegotten protest against Google. They're going to occupy a building that will displace that lovely reservoir. Shame! There could be endangered salamanders in there!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 2:00 AM

I'm neutral about what I think of the Austin Music Hall, but I like how its becoming part of dt rather than on the edge of it. And yes, that picture is a remarkable record of the new Austin. If you haven't seen Austin in 12 years, there's very little in that photo that would indicate you were in Austin.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:15 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I'm neutral about what I think of the Austin Music Hall, but I like how its becoming part of dt rather than on the edge of it. And yes, that picture is a remarkable record of the new Austin. If you haven't seen Austin in 12 years, there's very little in that photo that would indicate you were in Austin.
Except for the rolling hills west of town that are....well....covered up by all the shiny new tall buildings.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 11:31 PM

From Trammel Crow's Facebook page (posted yesterday)

Quote:
TCC's 500 W. 2nd Street, the 29-story, 500,000-square-foot office tower in Austin, TX, reached a construction milestone and made history with The Beck Group over the weekend with Austin's largest-ever continuous concrete foundation pour of 10,680+ cubic yards in just over 24 hours. With the completion of the 9-feet deep slab, the office tower will soon begin vertical construction.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2015, 12:07 AM

I should have invested in concrete, or....concrete trucks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin