HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 10:19 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
"the tallest buildings in the province will soon be dwarfed....."

Ugh. VOCM, why do you do this?
I'm not convinced until they actually build it, I think they might have made a mistake on the height.
Good news though.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I'm not convinced until they actually build it, I think they might have made a mistake on the height.
Good news though.
Definitely. Unless these seniors are going to be basking in the luxuries of 10 foot high ceilings (which in that case I'm pretty jealous)

Old Posted Jul 24, 2013, 2:48 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Definitely. Unless these seniors are going to be basking in the luxuries of 10 foot high ceilings (which in that case I'm pretty jealous)
It's not only the ceilings that will be high, I would think the rents or costs as well.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 10:47 PM

Great to hear this project has finally made its way through all the hurdles! Hopefully we'll see this one started before the winter! Looking forward to the impact it will make in the area

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 6:04 PM

What the heck ever happen to this? Back this summer it seemed like everyone was talking about it. Once the amendment was approved it kinda drifted off into oblivion.....

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
What the heck ever happen to this? Back this summer it seemed like everyone was talking about it. Once the amendment was approved it kinda drifted off into oblivion.....
All projects drift off into oblivion around here. Nobody ever knows if they're going to be built or just disappear forever without a trace. We're the Bermuda Triangle of development. We need better communication

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
All projects drift off into oblivion around here. Nobody ever knows if they're going to be built or just disappear forever without a trace. We're the Bermuda Triangle of development. We need better communication
Sadly enough that does appear to be true.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2013, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Step 1 is to get approval, and we all know how long that can take.

Step 2, with approval in hand, I guess you then then try to line up financing, future tenants and work on finalizing project costs.

I stand corrected but I think once the city grants approval (in principle?) you then have two or three years before that approval lapses...thus the slow motion of development.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
Step 1 is to get approval, and we all know how long that can take.

Step 2, with approval in hand, I guess you then then try to line up financing, future tenants and work on finalizing project costs.

I stand corrected but I think once the city grants approval (in principle?) you then have two or three years before that approval lapses...thus the slow motion of development.
Also very true. I guess I'm becoming a bit too impatient, I really like to see this project up and going soon.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2014, 11:59 PM

10 months later and not a peep, is this another dead project?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2014, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
10 months later and not a peep, is this another dead project?
The website is still up. Nothing on it thought to indicate when the project might be starting.

http://www.tiffanycondos.com/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackiedog View Post
The website is still up. Nothing on it thought to indicate when the project might be starting.

http://www.tiffanycondos.com/
Just heard that KMK (owners of the Tiffany) have bought The Kenny's Pond Condo complex for $25 M,
will this affect their desire to develop the Tiffany expansion?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
Just heard that KMK (owners of the Tiffany) have bought The Kenny's Pond Condo complex for $25 M,
will this affect their desire to develop the Tiffany expansion?
I don't think so. If the demand continues to be high for seniors condos that just translates into more revenue for KMK; it looks to be a strategic move on their part. I think KMK are trying to further establish themselves in a lucrative business, seeing this city is aging and such demand will naturally increase. I think it's a smart move on their part.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I don't think so. If the demand continues to be high for seniors condos that just translates into more revenue for KMK; it looks to be a strategic move on their part. I think KMK are trying to further establish themselves in a lucrative business, seeing this city is aging and such demand will naturally increase. I think it's a smart move on their part.
I usually don't quote myself but my stance on the status of this development has changed given that CHMC released it figures yesterday (see my post in the main projects thread). I guess my question now would be the possibility of Tiffany condos becoming Tiffany apartments? St. John's may be over-saturated with condos buts it's under-saturated with apartment buildings. What are your thoughts?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 12:03 PM

Location: Edmonton,Alberta(work) St. John's, NL (where my heart is)
Quote:
I usually don't quote myself but my stance on the status of this development has changed given that CHMC released it figures yesterday (see my post in the main projects thread). I guess my question now would be the possibility of Tiffany condos becoming Tiffany apartments? St. John's may be over-saturated with condos buts it's under-saturated with apartment buildings. What are your thoughts?
I am actually starting to think that there could be some substance to the report that came out earlier this year about about the drastic drop in population over the next 20 years, coupled with the fact that it takes way too long to get anything approved in St. John's, not to mention the anticipated backlash from residents, with that being said I will go one step further than you and say I will be surprised if either of them gets developed.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacednewfie View Post
I am actually starting to think that there could be some substance to the report that came out earlier this year about about the drastic drop in population over the next 20 years, coupled with the fact that it takes way too long to get anything approved in St. John's, not to mention the anticipated backlash from residents, with that being said I will go one step further than you and say I will be surprised if either of them gets developed.
Agreed in general, but I think the reference towards the drastic drop in population will be seen much more in the rural areas. Population growth will slow down (or maybe become stagnant) but I don't think to the levels Conference Board of Canada claimed. This will, no doubt, make SJ a much older city which doesn't bode well for long term sustained growth.

The city and the region do have a lot of work ahead to try and combat this trend. Back to the point... I do think this development will be very tough to get off the ground....

Last edited by statbass; Oct 31, 2014 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2014, 1:42 PM

I don't believe the development will proceed, at least not as proposed. I'm not sure if they were expecting most of the tenants to eventually need nursing care ( at extremely high costs ) as justification for the development. Unlike in the past, more boomers can likely afford apartments. I don't see the attraction of condos over purpose-built apartments.

In 10 years I'll be looking to decide what housing options will suit me. Will I stay in my house or move to condo or apartment? Condos are way too expensive for most seniors, I think. Even a modest pension with the sale of a typical house would allow a nice apartment, without condo fees. I think there's a market for purpose-built apartments, sort of like what's proposed for Kenmount Terrace (a poor location though). There a plot of land at the corner of Capt Whelan and Hamlyn Rd that would make an ideal taller development, GREAT view, close to store, roads, etc and shouldn't piss-off any neighbours.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2015, 7:33 PM

Here’s a thought, in light of the Government’s recent announcement about private long term care facilities and the experience this developer has had with Tiffany Village next door, wouldn’t it seem like a good opportunity to pitch a proposal to turn this development from condos into a long term care facility using a similar model as Tiffany Village?
I understand of course that the current Tiffany Village doesn’t provide the level 3 (?) care that the Government run facilities provide but that only presents a new opportunity. It sure would be nice to see this dormant proposal rise form the ashes

Old Posted Jun 17, 2016, 8:22 PM

Anyone know the status of this proposed development? Its been a long time since anyone said a word about it.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2017, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeddy1989 View Post
I agree. Now if the Tiffany Village towers could get started, there will be tower cranes pretty much all around lol.
Reviving this thread as jeddy made a comment about it earlier today. Has there been any talks with moving this project forward? This one has been silent for pretty much a year now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's