HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 2:26 PM

Canada Lands is looking for proposals for development in Pleasantville. Hope we start seeing some more development down there soon.

http://www1.thetelegram.com/document...13/7485913.pdf

Old Posted May 12, 2017, 9:09 PM

Just noticed rcs construction signs on the former Target building. I wonder if this is a sign of a redevelopment of this site? Fingers crossed!

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
Canada Lands is looking for proposals for development in Pleasantville. Hope we start seeing some more development down there soon.

http://www1.thetelegram.com/document...13/7485913.pdf
Everything's been cleared out down here so it would be great to see some development starting. There's a scatter new house gone up over the past few years but nothing major since the Chelsea Place apartments.

One thing this area could really do with is a corner store. A Marie's Minimart or something. I know Dominion is close by but it's not a quick walk to it. What's the likelihood of that happening??

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizabethf1985 View Post
Everything's been cleared out down here so it would be great to see some development starting. There's a scatter new house gone up over the past few years but nothing major since the Chelsea Place apartments.

One thing this area could really do with is a corner store. A Marie's Minimart or something. I know Dominion is close by but it's not a quick walk to it. What's the likelihood of that happening??
It's a good chance considering one of those blocks is zoned as commercial-mixed use.

Old Posted May 13, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Just noticed rcs construction signs on the former Target building. I wonder if this is a sign of a redevelopment of this site? Fingers crossed!
Supposedly a call centre is moving in there, with maybe some other stuff.

Old Posted May 22, 2017, 7:27 PM

Paul Reynolds Opening?

Any idea when Paul Reynolds centre is opening?

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 9:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr04384 View Post
last I heard it was June.

Old Posted May 23, 2017, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
last I heard it was June.
Seems like it's taking forever.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
http://www.thetelegram.com/news/loca...w-tenants.html

The space is being split into smaller stores. Probably the right thing to do, no one was just going to move into a space that large seeing as all of the usual suspects have their own locations in the area already. No word on who will be taking up the 120,000 square foot space as of yet.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 2:02 PM

Rumor is coffee shop, small restaurant and another misc store not worth getting too excited about. It'll wind up being similar to the strip mall off Torbay Rd. with Greco, Tim's and a call center in the rear.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2017, 2:10 PM

Quote:
June 8th

Old Posted Jun 8, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Open today.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...pens-1.4151224

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Can't figure out how to post a pic from my iPad. So here is a web link to the latest council agenda showing the new and quite large office building proposed for Sea Rise Drive opposite Canadian Tire that's on Hebron Way. Just scroll to see the article and concept drawings and site plan. Seems like Hebron Way is heading for the high density office building location.

What's hilarious though is that there are a couple of letters of objection to this building which is only 6 floors high from other nearby office buildings complaining about the sheer height of a 6 story building. LOL.

Here is the web link on St. John's.ca

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...C%202017_3.pdf
I saw some steel being erected opposite Canadian Tire on Hebron Way yesterday. Is this the building you're referring to? I took a couple of pics with intentions of posting them (haven't before), beyond my patience level today.
There's a fair bit of steel up, but it wasn't clear to me what the footprint of the building will be.
Great to see more activity in the area - all the more reason for the city to come up with a solution for traffic issues on Torbay Rd.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I saw some steel being erected opposite Canadian Tire on Hebron Way yesterday. Is this the building you're referring to? I took a couple of pics with intentions of posting them (haven't before), beyond my patience level today.
There's a fair bit of steel up, but it wasn't clear to me what the footprint of the building will be.
Great to see more activity in the area - all the more reason for the city to come up with a solution for traffic issues on Torbay Rd.
This is the new location for AXTION INDOOR ADVENTURE PARK http://www.axtion.ca

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
If I recall correctly, the proposal that Arrakis was talking about was eventually rejected by council. It's a good spot for offices, but not the best spot for really high density development unless the road infrastructure in that part of town is fixed. 7-8 storeys is probably the max allowable by NAV Canada since it's right next to YYT.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 6:30 PM

Powderhouse Hill has applied to rezone 17.5 acres of the Synod West Wetland from open space reserve to residential low-density. Plan is to build about 95 single detached houses. The entrance, I believe, would be the current location of Penney Crescent Park (google maps: https://goo.gl/g8tWnY ). It's essentially one large circular cul-de-sac with two child cul-de-sacs for good measure.

http://www.stjohns.ca/public-notice/...enney-crescent

Old Posted Jul 17, 2017, 8:56 PM

Yeah, that won't be approved. No way in hell the city allows 17.5 acres of wetland to be developed.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 3:48 PM

Agenda for tomorrow's City Council meeting includes a new development in the east end. Proposed is a zoning and parking variance to allow the development a two storey building with 14 rental units (6 two bedroom, 6 one bedroom, 2 studio) located at the corner of Signal Hill Road and Powers Court. The building will become an extension of 22 St. Joseph's Lane, which is the old St. Joseph's High School that was converted to the Signal Hill Gates short and medium term rental units by Premiere Suites ( https://premieresuites.com/furnished...l-hill-gate/#c ).

I was at first skeptical. The design strikes me as slightly ugly, but in a way that ties in nicely with the other slightly ugly buildings nearby. Maybe charming is a better way to describe it. The design is also proportional to its environment, which is perplexingly rare these days. The proposal includes 19 underground parking spaces, which will hopefully appease those among our community who believe that the asphalt desert is the ultimate ideal in urban planning.

Read the full proposal starting on page 78 of this week's agenda ( http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202017.pdf ).

Old Posted Jul 23, 2017, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Yeah, that won't be approved. No way in hell the city allows 17.5 acres of wetland to be developed.
Agreed. Puddister stated to VOCM that he's against the rezoning. If Pudd the Studd's not onboard, approval is unlikely ( vocm link rot: http://vocm.com/news/councillor-resp...ment-proposal/ ).

Old Posted Jul 27, 2017, 5:31 PM

Well the property that was formally gonna be Empire Theatres on Hebron Way has a new proposal for the site. An office complex similar to the KMK building next door.
Here is a pdf link to the city's website agenda.

http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...on%20plans.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's