HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:52 AM

This is the "anti-pedestrian" wall I was referring to in my last post. At one time there were stairs to a sidewalk, but that was a long time ago. It's just so unimaginably amazing how urban design standards used to be so anti-pedestrian. At least they saved a tree when the cement wall was built.

The parking lot atop the cement wall is the site of the future "Waller Park Place Phase II" 660,000 sq. ft mixed use. I'm holding my breathe for that one to break ground.

It's been mentioned before, but there are a lot of wires/cables hanging from the ugly Fairmont wall that will be used for something yet to be determined.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 5:18 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I bet those lines light up in the end.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 7:01 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I bet those lines light up in the end.
I'm thinking that also.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 2:24 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The parking lot atop the cement wall is the site of the future "Waller Park Place Phase II" 660,000 sq. ft mixed use. I'm holding my breathe for that one to break ground.

You may want to consider doing something which would result in a less fatal outcome...like: cross your fingers.

Waller Park Place (Phase I, II, and III-The Villas) are more than likely not going to be built - or at least not in the massive proportions as currently proposed.

I hope I am wrong, however. But, I will not going to hold my breath.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
You may want to consider doing something which would result in a less fatal outcome...like: cross your fingers.

Waller Park Place (Phase I, II, and III-The Villas) are more than likely not going to be built - or at least not in the massive proportions as currently proposed.

I hope I am wrong, however. But, I will not going to hold my breath.
Holding one's breath for a Sutton project is indeed dangerous. Playing Russian Roulette would be safer option.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:07 PM

I got myself a flying camera. I need to learn how to use it and the day is pretty hazy but here are some inaugural shots.

Spire from the top

The pool deck

The blank wall

Some profile shots

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:16 PM

Just awesome. You're off to a great start with that flying camera!

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 5:46 PM

Wow, great pics.

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 6:05 PM
JACKinBeantown

If there were a like button I'd click it (instead of writing a new post).

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 7:09 PM
Meh

That is awesome. Man, thanks for sharing those.

That's really neat because it shows the true placement of the spire. I had been thinking the spire was standing on the main roof slab, but that clearly shows it suspended within the structural steel of the mechanical screen. There's definitely a lot of space on that catwalk on the mechanical screen where they could place decorative lighting, maybe even some that would direct onto the spire itself, even if they don't put LEDs on it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 28, 2017, 11:15 PM

Beautiful, awesome, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. You are now my new favorite poster. Can't wait to see more everyday!

Old Posted May 30, 2017, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Beautiful, awesome, great pictures. Thanks for sharing. You are now my new favorite poster. Can't wait to see more everyday!
Haha! I wish I had the time to play with my new toy every day. It really is a lot of fun.

I'm happy to take requests if anyone wants a closer look at something tall. As long as it's legal, of course. There are a lot of rules to follow regarding these flying cameras. No stadiums during games, nothing too close to the capitol or the airport, no flying above crowds or near military bases, etc.

But luckily in Austin we only have a few no-fly zones, unlike somewhere like DC or Boston. So there are lots of opportunities for me to get some practice.

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 2:11 AM
$$Money on my Mind$$

I dunno whats more impressive, the photos or the amount of or lack of traffic that is usually on I35!!

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 5:48 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLove View Post
I dunno whats more impressive, the photos or the amount of or lack of traffic that is usually on I35!!
Was there a president in town?

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Was there a president in town?
something tells me that won't be a problem in this town for the next few years

Old Posted May 31, 2017, 6:24 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
This is the "anti-pedestrian" wall I was referring to in my last post. At one time there were stairs to a sidewalk, but that was a long time ago. It's just so unimaginably amazing how urban design standards used to be so anti-pedestrian. At least they saved a tree when the cement wall was built.

It's been mentioned before, but there are a lot of wires/cables hanging from the ugly Fairmont wall that will be used for something yet to be determined.

I believe there are city regulations that require any new development to adhere to pedestrian safety but that's harder to enforce when a property isn't applying for any city permits to do any kind of renovations. I'm not sure they can force the property to do much but that'll change once they property is developed. I think the problem with the project right now is that there is a flood of other properties that have opened up and it might not be as easy as we think to anticipate continued demand.

You have the office building on Colorado that opened up around last year. The new office building that Google will be sharing with other businesses. You have the tower next to it which I know has apartments and I believe it has condos and maybe offices at the lower levels but I can't remember exactly. You have the Austonian which still has condos to sell as well as a condo complex near the Power Plant and the Independent going up. I believe the old Austin concert venue is going to be replaced by office space. That's a lot of new space in the market that hasn't all been leased yet. It would take a big assumption that the city economy will keep growing to justify 3 towers.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 3:13 PM

Here's a picture of the progress on the Waller Creek side of things. I guess they're doing major renovations to this before getting started on that sky bridge...

Of course I took this yesterday before the 2-hour hurricane we had, so who knows how that affected things...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2017, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckos_Rule View Post

Here's a picture of the progress on the Waller Creek side of things. I guess they're doing major renovations to this before getting started on that sky bridge...

Of course I took this yesterday before the 2-hour hurricane we had, so who knows how that affected things...
I am sure the storm water moved some fresh homeless poop further downstream. That creek still smells like an outdoor toilet.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 5:19 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

So nobody has anything to post about the spire having gotten taller? Am I the only one who has noticed? I hope it doesn't stay as just a tall smoke stack looking pole and they do something to it.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
So nobody has anything to post about the spire having gotten taller? Am I the only one who has noticed? I hope it doesn't stay as just a tall smoke stack looking pole and they do something to it.
I thought it looked a little taller Tuesday afternoon. The crane was moved away from it apparently so it doesn't hit it. There's a permanent ladder going up the spire, so somebody must be walking pieces up there one at a time.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin