HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 9:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
Just got an email back from Sarah Eckhardt:
Sounds good. We need to keep her feet (and others) to the fire on this subject.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 11:10 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Sounds good. We need to keep her feet (and others) to the fire on this subject.
I'm hopeful that her reply was truthful. It seems as if the plans are in flux because of the public response.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Just got an email back from Sarah Eckhardt:
Ding!!!!!thank for writing and posting.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 12:30 PM

Yuck. From the sound of it, she's just talking about partnering w/ the private sector by providing office space, not retail of any kind. This thing is just bad, bad, bad. If it had ground floor retail and had a decent, classical or Beaux-Arts design then it might be acceptable, but it's probably going to have neither of these things.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 12:59 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
Yuck. From the sound of it, she's just talking about partnering w/ the private sector by providing office space, not retail of any kind. This thing is just bad, bad, bad. If it had ground floor retail and had a decent, classical or Beaux-Arts design then it might be acceptable, but it's probably going to have neither of these things.
The key words for me are "mixed use". Simple office space is not mixed use, so I think that we may be looking at retail of some kind as well as some private sector office use. Residential is probably out of the question, though.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 9:42 PM
Meh

Not every new building we've had has had retail. Ashton doesn't.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Yes... and?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Yes... and?
I think what he is saying is that nobody complained about The Ashton not having any retail.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 12:54 AM
~Hook'em~

It really doesn't need all the retail IMO, but just some food like a some good lunch spots, perhaps a pizza or sandwich stuff that could even potentially stay open a bit latter if the demand in the area was there. It would be good for the area and park. There is already a good bit of retail just a block or two from there. I'm just not sold that every street corner of Downtown Austin needs to be a hop'n nightspot. I like the idea of making a nice busy daytime area right there as those two courthouses are going to be busy as all hell during the day. And a few Thundercloud types or Pizza joints would make a killing.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 12:57 AM
Meh

Quote:
Yes... and?
Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
I think what he is saying is that nobody complained about The Ashton not having any retail.
That and the fact that it could happen again. The city has been pushing for more street level retail and improvements, but that building proved that not every one of them has to.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 1:01 AM
Meh

Anyway, tomorrow they'll move forward with the purchase of the block.

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/conte...with_purc.html
Quote:
County to go forward with purchase of downtown lot

By Marty Toohey | Tuesday, December 28, 2010, 12:19 PM

Travis County Commissioners cleared the way this morning to proceed with the purchase of a downtown lot for a new civil and family courthouse.
Because the commissioners raised no last-minute objections to the purchase, the deal will close at 9 a.m. Wednesday.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
When I drove by there a couple days ago the first floor there were signs out for leases available. So there are opportunities there for retail I'm sure.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 7:27 AM
Meh

Hmm, maybe they're planning a change, but originally there wasn't going to be any. I've largely ignored the building at street level for that reason, and have even neglected to take many photos of it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 29, 2010, 7:11 PM

I noticed in the article today that the word "try" was used in referring to setting aside space for retail/other uses in the building. I took that as lip service and BS.

I encourage folks to write and hound them to make this a neighborhood friendly block. Downtown residents especially need to make it clear this is a neighborhood issue. The city wanted this to be a neighborhood, well it is and they need to be active in negotiating this deal. Please contact people in your buildings ( or your condo associations, or apartment management) and get them the info that was posted on this site about who to write.

There are many other forms of shops that make a neighborhood vibrant that do not close at 5pm. Bars are only one option. We really do not want a third dark block around republic sq park. That is not good for the park or the area. Everyone downtown benefits from vibrant active city blocks.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 7:18 PM

Is the county subject to such restrictions?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 7:36 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Is the county subject to such restrictions?
Yes; unless they go through the process of changing the FAR. There is no need take that step, in this case. The block is roughly 1.77 acres; thus, if the building were to take up the entire block, the county would be able to construct an 8-story building with almost 617,000 SF of space (with the current FAR restrictions). As of now, the county is planning on a 500,000 SF structure.

A 17-story tower, covering the entire block, would encompass approximately 1,310,720 SF of space. Therefore, the “tower” portion will not take up the entire block.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 4:44 AM

Note,

Join facebook group:

STOP Travis County from Killing Republic Square .

OK, thats a little dramatic... but, I support the effort.

Also Write Sam Biscoe. He says he has mostly seen support for this. Seems like a someone hell bent on a project no matter who it affects.

sam.biscoe@co.travis.tx.us

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 7:12 AM

Aren't court houses supposed to be secure buildings? If they have retail on the ground floor, will I have to go through a metal detector to buy a cheeseburger or shop there? I've been to a few courthouses in my day and none had retail space, or 17 floors, or sat on a 28 million dollar piece of real estate. They should plant that puppy at the old St Eds site or Highland Mall.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 10:37 AM
Meh

Really I'm fine with the location as long as they have residential (or office space) and street level retail.

There needs to be street level retail to keep the area alive after 5 or 6 pm when the courthouse closes. And there needs to be a mix of space such as residential or office space because it such a prime block since there is no height restriction. They could build a 1,000 foot building if they wanted to.

I just hope they do something there that utilizes the block as best as possible. I don't even care that it's a courthouse, it's fine. There's the Federal Courthouse nearby. There was also the plan by Novare to build a US post office into their residential tower.

The only thing is, I'm not sure I've ever heard of a courthouse building, or even a courthouse block with any other attached or even semi attached use associated with it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 6:34 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin