HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 8:31 PM

Quote:
Interim historic designation approved for Cass Corridor buildings
ROBIN RUNYAN
JUN 21, 2017, 10:11AM PDT

When news arose early this week that demo permits were pulled, Councilwoman Raquel Castañeda-López introduced the proposal to City Council for an interim historic designation for the buildings. After much debate and some confusion, the resolution passed.

This means the Historic Designation Advisory Board will begin a study of the buildings and if the owner wants to do anything to the buildings over the next year, they’ll have to go through the Historic District Committee. This also means that this proposal will not be heard at the June 22 City Council Planning & Economic Development Committee meeting.
https://detroit.curbed.com/2017/6/21...-cass-corridor

The buildings are safe! (for now)

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
That was surprisingly quick. I was convinced those apartments were going to be lost. Hopefully they get to be restored.

Part of me feels Olympia might have wanted some mixed used buildings there instead of all apartments. But there's plenty other stretches of Cass that can have new mixed use developments so I don't think it would had been worth the loss in architecture.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
That was surprisingly quick. I was convinced those apartments were going to be lost. Hopefully they get to be restored.

Part of me feels Olympia might have wanted some mixed used buildings there instead of all apartments. But there's plenty other stretches of Cass that can have new mixed use developments so I don't think it would had been worth the loss in architecture.
Too right!

Quote:
Duggan Announces Program To Give A Hand Up To Existing Detroit Businesses
By Shianne Nocerini
Jun 14, 2017
Daily Detroit

One of the many recurring discussions in the city is that there’s a feeling that new businesses get more support than those who have been in the city and stuck it out.

With the aim of giving neighborhood businesses the attention they deserve, Mayor Mike Duggan announced today a new program from the City of Detroit and The Detroit Economic Growth Corporation (DEGC) called Motor City Re-Store.

The first round of Motor City Re-Store will start on Thursday, June 15 when the application process opens.

Applications will be accepted until Tuesday, August 1. The first awards will be announced in the fall.

The program will be providing $500,000 in matching grants every quarter to qualifying business owners and landlords that want to do upgrades to the facades, parking lots and streetscapes. These matching grants can be for as much as $25,000.

Businesses and landlords that are picked for Motor City Re-Store will receive a 50% matching grant. If multiple businesses apply as a group they will receive a 75% matching grant for their project.

Among other requirements, in order to receive this funding a business must already be open in the City of Detroit and they also must stay in that location for at least five years after getting the funding for improvements.

The goal of Motor City Re-Store is to revitalize the neighborhood business districts by making them more walkable and attractive. This not only helps those living in the neighborhoods, but also attracts people who might just be driving by.

“The small neighborhood businesses that have hung in there over the years and have sustained our city are part of Detroit’s revitalization. That’s why we created Motor City Re-Store,” said Mayor Duggan. “This is how we are going to bring our city back, by supporting our existing businesses and residents as we welcome new ones to our neighborhoods.”

The program has been funded through a variety of sources. They include U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development Community Development Block Grants (CDBG), the City of Detroit, The Erb Family Foundation, the New Economy Initiative, Invest Detroit, and the Kresge Foundation.

The Economic Development Corporation of the City of Detroit approved the funding to the program on Tuesday, June 13.

http://www.dailydetroit.com/2017/06/...it-businesses/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 3:14 AM

So I noticed how much cleaner Book Tower looks on the south facing District Detroit cam. Scrubbers are doing a heck of a job.

First pic is from May 6th. Second pic is from earlier today (June 21st).

http://www.districtdetroit.com/live-web-cam/

Old Posted Jun 22, 2017, 2:17 PM

What an awesome building its almost sad its taken this long for it to be given the treatment it deserves, thanks for posting tho this just made my day!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:26 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Lots of news:

Quote:

Todd McInturf

Bedrock opens new headquarters in historic building

By Shawn D. Lewis | The Detroit News

June 22, 2017

The new Bedrock headquarters at 630 Woodward is a love note to Detroit and its history.

Built in 1880, the building in the block south of Campus Martius originally was home to the Mabley & Co. Department Store.

Todd McInturf
I'd forgotten about this one, but it sounds like the hotel going in the long vacant Wurlitzer Building is coming along nicely.

Quote:

Robin Buckson

New Detroit hotel, The Siren, to open in November

Michael Hodges | The Detroit News

June 22, 2017

Detroit’s Wurlitzer Building has come a long way from 2011, when its crumbling cornice sent a 50-pound chunk of terracotta crashing through the roof of the loft apartment next door.

That was then. Now the Wurlitzer, at 1509 Broadway, is stabilized and midway through a $23 million renovation to convert the 14-story, 1926 structure by architect Robert Finn into a 106-room, upscale boutique hotel to be called The Siren.
Big get for the Inner Circle Greenway. They've finally purchased portions of the abandoned Detroit Terminal Railroad which wraps around the inner-city.

Quote:

Detroit, Conrail strike $4.3M land deal to finish path

By Nicquel Terry | The Detroit News

June 22, 2017

Detroit — The city reached a $4.3 million deal with Conrail to acquire a 7.5-mile railroad property that will complete a pedestrian and bike pathway encircling Detroit.

The acquisition, announced Thursday, fills the largest gap in the 26-mile Inner Circle Greenway, which connects residents and neighborhoods to parks, commercial areas, the Detroit riverfront and downtown.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:18 PM
somewhere in-between

That's great news about the greenway purchases.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 10:15 PM

Wouldn't this be a great fit for a renovated United Artist's Theater, i know its not a perfect fit but i love the idea actually reusing the theater for theater space. But if there looking in the downtown midtown area only the Hudson's Block Tower would immediately stand out as where i would think they may be hinting at as one possibility.

Quote:
Emagine aims to bring megaplex theater to downtown Detroit
By SHERRI WELCH
Crain's Detroit Business
June 23, 2017

Emagine Entertainment Inc. is looking to bring a megaplex theater to downtown Detroit. Co-founder and Chairman Paul Glantz said the Troy-based company is evaluating two undisclosed sites, one that would be a new construction and one that would entail renovation of an existing building. He estimates the investment will be in the range of $15 million and said he's more inclined to locate the new theater near residential development as opposed to commercial development.

"If you look at all the housing units that are being developed downtown and in Midtown, I think you're going to see an enormous amount of housing come online in next couple years," Glantz said. And folks like to go to the movies near their neighborhood, he said. The population base is a little light right now, but Glantz said Emagine believes it will be there in the not too distant future. "As the population that would embrace Emagine grows, it would represent an underserved market opportunity for us," he said.

The new theater would be the first megaplex downtown but second in the city, joining the Bel Air Luxury Cinema on Eight Mile Road between Van Dyke and Hoover Road.

Troy-based Emagine is working on two other new theaters in the region. The Livingston County Board of Commissioners on Monday turned down Emagine's request for incentives for a new theater in Hartland Township near U.S. 23 and M-59, Glantz said, noting he's still pursuing that location. Emagine is also looking to put another location in Oakland County in an undisclosed, underserved neighborhood, he said. It would add to existing sites in Royal Oak, Rochester Hills, Birmingham and Novi.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 12:59 AM

I feel like the Hudson's wouldn't fit either based on the current proposed interior designs. Also, they mentioned that they want to locate closer to residential areas rather than commercial areas. Somewhere near Little Ceasers Arena would actually be a better fit, though which specific building I'm not sure.

The question I'm wondering is will it be built to fit within the urban context (as apart of a mixed-use development) or will it be a standalone building with a parking lot in front of it (like a typical suburban layout)?

Actually this sort of gives a hint.

Quote:
"You don't have a large area for staging ... We likely cannot take a prototype building in an urban setting," he said. "But we have the privilege of working with some very skilled contractors."

Details are yet to come, but Glantz anticipates a 10-screen Detroit theater.
http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._downtown.html

The Palladium in Birmingham has 8 screens, though that's a movie theater Emagine had bought and renovated. It doesn't have dedicated parking, but there's a big parking garage behind it. I'm at least hoping Detroit gets something similar or that at least one with a parking lot isn't on a major street like Woodward or something.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2017, 4:51 AM

There is no way 2017 Detroit would allow a theater downtown with a suburban layout; it's not even something that crossed my mind. If it's going downtown or even Midtown, it's going to front the street, and it's likely going to be in a mixed-use complex.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 12:39 AM

I first thought of the District Detroit as the most likely site for the theater although i would imagine that Gilbert at least is taking a shot at it but i agree that it doesn't fit the Hudson's site well but potentially having a theater in the building is exactly the kind of thing it seems like he wants to do. From the renderings and videos i've seen it looked like what the plan was is to have many smaller sized attractions like what looked to me like a Detroit Rock Museum, a smaller theater/conference space some kind of auto related museum and so on. I like the latter ideas better but i'm not sure how far planning on what exactly is going to be in the "podium" has gone or who if anyone has signed up yet. Making a good Museum or cultural attraction of any kind isn't easy to build from scratch just look at how hard it is to get the Model T plant plan going even at such a great site, if given a realistic situation i believe Gilbert would definitely consider a multiplex in the Hudson's development.

Btw check out the area behind the U.A. Theater Building there's a few empty blocks behind it that could be built on as part of a renovation, same for the Michigan Theater building which is in much better shape but i don't get the feeling the ownership is right for this kind of thing to go down.

(Image from the District Detroit page on the General Development thread posted by animatedmartian)

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 4:30 AM

Looking at the current loose schematic of the thing, there doesn't look like a place for a multiplex at the Hudson site:

There is one section in the podium that allows for something two or three floors tall - which is what a theater would require - and it's the conference center space. Either way, I don't think it'd be a good fit for the Hudson site, and I'm really not worried about them finding a location as there is still plenty of land in Midtown to make something like a multiplex work. It'd be more appropriate north of downtown, anyway. We shouldn't be forcing a theater into the Hudson block "just because." It would have to make sense, and it doesn't make much sense to me given the focus of the development.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 7:24 PM

Okay i see what you mean i had the feeling that if someone could "arts and culture" quota with a multiplex they just might. I think something like this would be interesting as part of the District Detroit or in nearby environs if executed well, of course. Maybe DTE will make a move to get it built on there side of beacon park (N.W. Downtown redevelopment is divided between part of the Illitch's district detroit and DTE Energy plaza area redevelopment) it would be nice to see them open up there employee only park to the public as well.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:04 PM

What about the vacant land directly across Woodward from the new Mike Ilitch School of Business? This site seems big enough for Emagine to build a theater. Infact, I've been to cities that have 3-4 story theaters. In my opinion, this is a site to keep an eye on.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:12 PM

As soon as I posted about the land on Woodward, I immediately thought of all the vacant land in the Columbia Park. Good luck getting Olympia to sell/develop their beautiful sea of surface lots though.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:45 PM

While this isn't a great trade off destroying a partially modern manufacturing facility for a logistics center which in this case is really kind of a glorified parking lot it however there is a lot of available land in the area that isn't creating job's so why not it does help one of the big 3 manufacture more efficiently in the city too.

Quote:
Moroun company implodes old Detroit factory for expanded FCA logistics hub
By CHAD LIVENGOOD
June 24, 2017
Crain's Detroit Business

A large portion of the century-old former Budd Wheel plant on Detroit's east side was imploded early Saturday morning to expand a new vehicle shipping logistics hub adjacent to FCA US LLC's Jefferson North Assembly Plant.

Crown Enterprises Inc., the real estate development arm of billionaire trucking mogul Manuel "Matty" Moroun's companies, had two sections of the old factory totaling 300,000 square feet blown up at 6:30 a.m. as part of the demolition of the entire 2.1 million-square-foot factory.

Matthew Moroun, president of his family's logistics and shipping company, said Crown Enterprises tore down the building to make room for more Fiat Chrysler vehicles to be stored and shipped by truck or rail on an adjacent Norfolk Southern rail yard.

Fiat Chrysler will be able to expand car shipping at the facility for vehicles not only assembled at Jefferson North, but other plants in the region, Moroun said.

"It gives FCA a strategic advantage in town," Moroun told Crain's after the Budd factory was imploded.

Moroun company associates, employees from the demolition company 21st Century Salvage Inc. and other onlookers gathered early Saturday morning on the Mack Avenue railroad bridge to watch the implosion of a portion of a factory that dates back to 1917.

Marc Brazeau, the head of vehicle logistics for FCA, also was on hand for the factory implosion.

Crown Enterprises has been operating a vehicle shipping logistics center for FCA in the original parking lots of the old auto parts plant, which Troy-based ThyssenKrupp Budd Co. shuttered in 2006, eliminating 350 jobs.

Dodge Durangos and Jeep Grand Cherokees, which are assembled at Jefferson North, were covered in plastic in the parking lot along Mack Avenue on the property to protect them from the small dust cloud that the implosion created.

Michael Samhat, president of Crown Enterprises, said all but a couple of small buildings on the Charlevoix Street site are being torn down to make room for the expanded automotive logistics center

"There's going to be a lot of improvements to the site to serve the automotive client," Samhat told Crain's.

In the past, Fiat Chrysler has had to ship vehicles by car-hauler to a railyard in Toledo and then load them onto trains.

The Moroun-owned Crown Enterprises is spending more than $10 million for demolition and redevelopment of the site, Samhat said.

"It's transformational," Moroun said.

Machine demolition of other parts of the factory began about three months ago. Explosives were needed to take out the two buildings within the "super structure" of the facility, Samhat said.

"They're mostly cement," he said.

Warren-based Crown Enterprises has owned the building for nine years, Samhat said.

"Over the years, we've tried to find ways to repurpose the building and just couldn't find the right opportunity," he said.

Crown Enterprises' redevelopment of the Budd plant is the second logistics facility the company has built for one of Detroit's automakers in the past two years.

In 2015, Crown Enterprises built a 500,000-square-foot warehouse in the I-94 Industrial Park for sorting and delivering auto parts to General Motors Co.'s Detroit-Hamtramck assembly plant.

With greater downtown Detroit getting all of the attention for revitalization these days, Samhat said the Budd plant project is the "second component of the recovery of Detroit."

"These things take time to transform these sites, but this is good for Detroit," he said.

The City of Detroit has issued a permit for the implosion of a portion of the factory complex, which Budd Wheel bought from the former Liberty Motor Co. in 1924, according to the city's buildings and safety department.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...r-expanded-fca

I also wanted to make note of the fact that a major company from Metro Detroit is acquiring one from Tokyo. Hopefully they know what there doing and this can be a reverse firestone/bridgestone.

Quote:
Key Safety Systems to acquire Takata for $1.59 billion in bankruptcy deal
By DUSTIN WALSH
June 25, 2017
Crain's Detroit Business

After more than a year of negotiations, Key Safety Systems has reached a deal to acquire Takata Corp. for $1.59 billion as part of a pre-packaged bankruptcy in the U.S. and Japan.

Under the deal, Sterling Heights based-Key Safety proposed to acquire all global Takata assets and operations, except those tied to the phase-stabilized ammonium nitrate airbag inflators business. Malfunction of Takata's airbag inflators led to at least 16 deaths and a $1 billion fine in the U.S.

The inflator business is expected to be wound down, Key Safety said in a news release.

Takata's U.S. subsidiary, Auburn Hills-based TK Holdings, will file Chapter 11 bankruptcy in Detroit and Takata will file bankruptcy in Japan, both on Monday.

The deal is expected to close in the first quarter of 2018, Key Safety said.

Key Safety also plans to retain all Takata employees and maintain operations in Japan, including the opening of a new regional headquarters in Tokyo.

Key Safety, which makes active and passive safety systems for vehicles, is an independently operated subsidiary of Chinese supplier Ningbo Joyson Electronic Corp. The Takata purchase is seen as giving Key Safety and its Chinese parent company a jump-start into new segments with a deep customer base.

"Although Takata has been impacted by the global airbag recall, the underlying strength of its skilled employee base, geographic reach and exceptional steering wheels, seat belts and other safety products have not diminished," Jason Luo, president and CEO of Key Safety, said in a statement. "We look forward to finalizing definitive agreements with Takata in the coming weeks, completing the transaction and serving both our new and long-standing customers while investing in the next phase of growth for the new (Key Safety)."

Bankruptcy will allow Key Safety to indemnify itself from legal liability for Takata's airbag fiasco.

Automakers have already shifted business away from Takata and toward rivals for about 70 percent of the parts to repair defective airbag inflators, which can explode and cause death or injury with shrapnel, Bloomberg reported.

Only 38 percent of the 43 million airbag inflators under recall in the U.S. had been repaired as of May 26, according to data on the U.S. Department of Transportation's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's website.

Globally, Takata faces up to $10 billion in potential liabilities for the ongoing recalls, penalties and settlements, according to some analysts. Takata was negotiating with other potential buyers — including market leader Autoliv Inc. of Sweden — months before reaching a deal with Key Safety.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-in-bankruptcy

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:53 PM

I can't quite recall but i thought there was already a proposal for that site, i could be wrong though or it could have fallen though there's a lot of possibilities in the area.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 2:08 PM

[QUOTE=Docta_Love;7845835]While this isn't a great trade off destroying a partially modern manufacturing facility for a logistics center which in this case is really kind of a glorified parking lot it however there is a lot of available land in the area that isn't creating job's so why not it does help one of the big 3 manufacture more efficiently in the city too.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...r-expanded-fca

I was watching this implosion on tv live, and I could hear the explosion very loudly through my open windows, it was pretty cool!

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 4:55 PM

Yea not quite the Hudson's but still fun to watch

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:21 PM

I think this is at least part of the program that i heard about on WDET i think there was another bank possibly Chase that added to the pot, good idea to help home's get into good hands.

There's a link at the end of the article on the daily detroit page to the program for anyone who's interested.

Quote:
Comerica Commits $5 Million To Home Appraisal Gap In Detroit Through Detroit Home Mortgage
By Daily Detroit Staff
June 16, 2017
Daily Detroit

(A Detroit neighborhood off of Outer Drive and Livernois)

Less than 20 percent of homes purchased in the city of Detroit have mortgages. It’s currently a cash system where you either have all the money you need for the house, or you can’t buy it. That shuts the door on anyone who doesn’t have the purchase price of a house sitting in the bank – and that means most people can’t buy a house in Detroit if they wanted to.

This happens for a variety of reasons, but the long and short of it means that if the gap is too big, the mortgage doesn’t happen and the house isn’t sold. Currently the city housing market tilts toward speculators who have large sums of money to put into play, with the effect of pushing out middle class buyers out of the market.

To help solve this, the Detroit Home Mortgage program was created last year. It’s a collaboration between foundations, banks and the Michigan State Housing Development Authority (MSHDA) to help raise property values in the city. The program allows borrowers to obtain a second mortgage to help fill that gap, up to $75,000.

Today, Comerica Bank announced it would support the program by committing $5 million toward Detroit Home Mortgage. It joins five other lenders already involved in the program.
http://www.dailydetroit.com/2017/06/...home-mortgage/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations