HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 2:43 AM

The wife & I have been going to Happy Hour at some of the 'older" restaurants on the west side of the Domain for several years. Thought it's a pretty different place with a novel lifestyle. Being suburbanites (Brushy Creek) it is quite change of scenery for us.
Last week we celebrated our 50th Wedding Anniversary at Maggiano's (our kids hosted a nice bash in the banquet rooms) and stayed at the Lone Star Court hotel. We had no idea the place existed. from the outside the place looked like some kind of curved warehouse or barn, but the interior courtyard had interesting concepts using Texas decor & native landscaping. A fun experience overall.

We cruised through all the new areas of the Domain's entertainment district and were astounded at all the growth which we had never seen before. really impressive to us and relatives from Dallas & Pennsylvania. There are so many new places to check out. Hope I live long enough to try a few - if we can find a parking place and a map of the district. lol

Several years ago an Internet friend - a single young Canadian employed by eBay - was being transferred from Luxembourg to Austin and asked me where would be a good place for him to live. Since the small city where he was living in Europe was very walkable to everything he needed, that was a lifestyle he would be most comfortable with. So I recommended the Domain.
He loves it there and has reveled in all the bars & restaurants, plus his commute up to the eBay offices on north Parmer is an easy one (going opposite all the rush hour traffic).

Last edited by Armybrat; Jun 23, 2017 at 3:05 AM.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 2:48 AM
Meh

This would be great.

http://www.mystatesman.com/events/ne...bj2cT6mVp9FtM/
Quote:
Shoal Creek Trail may triple in length, from downtown to Domain

By Nancy Flores - American-Statesman Staff

From outdoor enthusiasts to history lovers, Austinites on Wednesday night met to plan the possible tripling of the length of the Shoal Creek Trail, which runs 3.25 miles from Lady Bird Lake to 38th Street.

“Imagine walking or biking on a continuous pathway from downtown Austin all the way up to the Domain,” said Joanna Wolaver, executive director of the Shoal Creek Conservancy.

Plans will lay the groundwork for major improvements to the Shoal Creek Trail and the extension of the trail northward past U.S. 183. When complete, the new trail is expected to span more than 10 miles and connect places such as the Northern Walnut Creek Trail, the Domain, the J.J. Pickle Research Campus, the University of Texas and downtown Austin. The conservancy said the project’s cost will be determined during the planning process.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:11 AM

In our case a pedicab would be the preferred mode of transport on said trail.

Actually, a few pedicabs should be able to do well hauling folks like us around the domain. haven't seen one there yet.

In the meantime I'm still hoping to win the powerball so we could buy a condo in the Independent for family use. No luck so far.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 3:50 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It'd be interesting to see where and how the trail would move away from the creek, as stated in the article. This would especially be interesting as it gets to 183 and north of there. Either way, more connectivity is a good thing!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:10 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
It'd be interesting to see where and how the trail would move away from the creek, as stated in the article. This would especially be interesting as it gets to 183 and north of there. Either way, more connectivity is a good thing!
I expect that most of the non-creek sections south of 183 will probably just be a redesign of Shoal Creek Blvd. In fact, I'd expect that the only actually on-the-creek sections north of 38th will be The Grove, between Hancock & 2222, Northwest Park, and between Anderson & ~Steck. Outside of that, the area is too residential, too wealthy/politically involved, and too close to the creek to warrant even attempting to put it on the creek itself.

North of 183 until to the Domain will definitely be the piece of the puzzle (probably along Neils Thompson, which is already planned to be a pedestrian connection thru the Pickle Campus to the Domain as noted above by Novacek) that starts to extend dense residential and commercial development south of the Pickle Campus. However, these northern sections of the potential hike and bike trail are probably a good 10+ years off from construction, so let's not hold our breaths in the meantime.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 4:17 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Home Away will be expanding into Domain 11 and increase their workforce by 2K.

http://www.512tech.com/technology/ex...6Y8HkuoFb8EKK/
I wonder if this is a good signal that we'll see more announcements for new office developments in the area in the near future? New construction is clearly filling up so easily because demand is good.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I wonder if this is a good signal that we'll see more announcements for new office developments in the area in the near future? New construction is clearly filling up so easily because demand is good.
I was thinking this, too. A tech HQ is a major get for the Domain. I wouldn't be surprised if there were copycats in the wings.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2017, 1:44 PM

Quote:
I expect that most of the non-creek sections south of 183 will probably just be a redesign of Shoal Creek Blvd. In fact, I'd expect that the only actually on-the-creek sections north of 38th will be The Grove, between Hancock & 2222, Northwest Park, and between Anderson & ~Steck. Outside of that, the area is too residential, too wealthy/politically involved, and too close to the creek to warrant even attempting to put it on the creek itself.
The off street portion actually stretches just north of 38th today. I wouldn't be surprised to see that stretch slightly more, to perhaps 39 1/2, since the west side there backs up to commercial, not residential.

Possibly along east of Jefferson all the way to the Grove, since all the houses there are west of Jefferson (though transitioning between those two sections may be too hard).

They still need to figure out what/if they can do anything about the on-street section along 31st.

They might be able to do an off-street section between shoalmont and 2222.

Quote:
North of 183 until to the Domain will definitely be the piece of the puzzle (probably along Neils Thompson, which is already planned to be a pedestrian connection thru the Pickle Campus to the Domain as noted above by Novacek)
Through Pickle will definitely be what's there to start, once the Mopac project work finishes up in (early?) 2018. That'll get you from the Shoal Creek Blvd to the Domain (and then to NI and the Mopac path up to the Walnut creek trail).

The problem with Pickle is that it's only a through route 6AM-6PM M-F. Then they shut the gates.

Longer term, from talking to the CoA bicycle program, it sounds like they want a different route. They're apparently talking to UT to see if they could get them to move the west fence line of Pickle in about 10-15 feet, and route a path there. Between the UP property and Pickle.

If the lone star rail had happened, they might be talking about routing it in that RoW, but hopefully they're not going to wait on that turning around. Though the urban trails master plan does call for a route along the UP line eventually (from 2222 to the mopac crossing).

http://www.austintexas.gov/urbantrails

Edit: of note, despite what it says in the article, most the sections of the shoal creek trail are priority II in the master plan, not priority I. It's the shoal creek foundation pushing them to be prioritized more.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 7:48 PM

Some Domain, IBM, Top Golf & National Instruments photos from today. A little hazy this morning. The entire imgur album with many more pictures all at full resolution is here: http://imgur.com/a/s1sDc

Domain looking sort of Northwest with Domain Tower under construction in the foreground

Domain looking South

Looking Southwest

Looking toward MoPac

Looking South

Apartment Construction

Rock Rose

Area where Domain 9, 11, 12 will be built

IBM Campus with the under-constructon Schwab campus in the background and Top Golf to the right

Closer look at Top Golf

National Instruments

Last edited by AusTxDevelopment; Jun 25, 2017 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 8:19 PM

I really like, no love! all these aerials, but one thing about getting a little above these sites is that it really exposes all the flaws in planning and architecture, even if the places are relatively successful at pedestrian level.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 8:54 PM
Meh

The thing that strikes me the most about the Domain that makes it feel considerably less urban is the lack of a grid system of streets. It makes it feel so much more suburban than even the heights and designs of the buildings do. You have quasi-grid streets that just dead end at a block and streets that snake around. It makes it feel like a jumbled mess. Those curves in the streets were meant to slow down traffic, and they will, but they'll decrease the efficiency as well. And I know that older cities all over the world were laid out that way, but without any significant landmarks, I get lost in a place like that. lol San Antonio's downtown is that way with a grid that shifts and even turns, but they at least have landmarks that remind you where you are.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 10:45 PM

Nice. Site Prep has started on Domain 11 (Homeaway), and it looks like Domain 12 will be starting soon.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2017, 11:58 PM

The street layout feels European honestly I think some of those dead end streets are meant for service vehicles but I'm not entirely sure. I do wish they would add traffic lights. its rather difficult and dangerous to walk across the 4 way stop sign intersections. aside from that the Domain is a great place.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 12:41 AM

I LOVE these. Thank you, AusTxDev!

There are a fair number of infill opportunities (parking lots) for the Domain going forward, and the street planning is awful, but it has good bones and they're starting from about as urban a setting as any downtown for a metro area of 500k. It's more urban than downtowns Waco, McAllen, Beaumont, and Shreveport for instance.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 1:29 AM
World Traveler

These pictures are great, thanks so much for getting these (and those the other threads!).

By the way, you could maybe sell that TopGolf picture to the company. That's an incredible shot and I'd be they would love to have it for marketing or even just decoration.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2017, 5:21 AM

Awesome update ATX. I agree with the other posters, The Domain has mostly a good layout, but they should had just took into consideration about future phases and to have built Macy's and Dick's over on the opposite side near Burnet Rd. Other than that they have done a terrific job infilling. Btw I was actually one of the few people at the grand opening of The Domain, and talked with the architect who design it. Forgot his name now since it was 10 yrs ago in which we were discussing future phases of The Domain. Good times

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 4:19 AM

Driving into Austin from Round Rock on I-35, I noticed the two tallest cranes I've ever seen in the Domain area, and they were close together. I'm guessing they are for Domain 11 and Domain 12.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:17 AM
Meh

I just checked, and the files for Domain 12 haven't been released yet, but they have released the ones for Domain 11. The elevation files are 024 and 025.

They show the height as 236 feet to the mechanical penthouse and 226 feet to the main roof parapet with the highest occupied floor (the 16th) being 202 feet.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/web/perm...other-database

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 5:24 PM
Austinite

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Driving into Austin from Round Rock on I-35, I noticed the two tallest cranes I've ever seen in the Domain area, and they were close together. I'm guessing they are for Domain 11 and Domain 12.
I drove by the area on Sunday. One crane is for the 11 story Domain Tower, which is up to the 6th floor now. The other one I was going to ask about. It is located on the east side of Burnet Road, about 2 blocks south of Braker Lane (and 3 or so blocks from the Domain Tower). Anyone know about that site? Could be residential/parking garage. I'll post pics later.

Edit - Here is the rendering of Domain Tower. It is at the northwest corner of Braker and Burnet.

https://www.realmassive.com/us/tx/au...35051973625039

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopacs View Post
I drove by the area on Sunday. One crane is for the 11 story Domain Tower, which is up to the 6th floor now. The other one I was going to ask about. It is located on the east side of Burnet Road, about 2 blocks south of Braker Lane (and 3 or so blocks from the Domain Tower). Anyone know about that site? Could be residential/parking garage. I'll post pics later.
Probably Broadstone Burnet apartments at 10301 Burnet Rd.

According to permits, it will have a 6 story garage along with several 4 story apartment buildings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin