HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 7:14 AM
retro_orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathered Friend View Post

Walking home today, I noticed the Speakeasy at Broadway and Laurel St was literally closing for the final time tonight. I popped in to ask staff if they knew what was to happen to the site, and was told the following.

The Speakeasy was cannibalizing it's Granville location, and apparently the staff from Broadway will be transferring to the other location. As for the building, it will apparently become an "Indian Food Buffet Restaurant". However it should be noted that the property is also up for sale.

http://www.collierscanada.com/19767#.WT-H3GgrKUk
What did they mean by "cannibalizing it's granville location"?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 9:30 PM

Probably moving all the furniture and equipment to the other location.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 9:33 PM

That speakeasy was a ghost town the best of times. I live near by and visited a few times, the first time the "ran out of pizza" even though it comprises a good portion of their menu and the second time it was just depressing. Would be nice if someone could make a go of that space. The earls was ok near the end but far from the original "earls on broadway" style with the king kong statue and movie props. Really wish the broadway corridor could wake up a bit but I think the rents are too high for what the reality of the area is.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theKB View Post
That speakeasy was a ghost town the best of times. I live near by and visited a few times, the first time the "ran out of pizza" even though it comprises a good portion of their menu and the second time it was just depressing. Would be nice if someone could make a go of that space. The earls was ok near the end but far from the original "earls on broadway" style with the king kong statue and movie props. Really wish the broadway corridor could wake up a bit but I think the rents are too high for what the reality of the area is.
I predict Poke.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 7:00 PM

Sad to see that Trafalgars Bistro on W.16th at Trafalgar closed this month. One of the city's best small neighbourhood restaurants. And when did Zest at 16th at Macdonald close?! One of the most underrated Japanese restaurants. Just more signs the West Side is hollowing out.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:42 PM

how long has Swiss Chalet on west broadway been closed?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
Sad to see that Trafalgars Bistro on W.16th at Trafalgar closed this month. One of the city's best small neighbourhood restaurants. And when did Zest at 16th at Macdonald close?! One of the most underrated Japanese restaurants. Just more signs the West Side is hollowing out.
There are literally dozens of good new restaurants on the West Side.

Just because the old ones you used to go to are changing doesn't indicate an entire neighbourhood is hollowing out.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
There are literally dozens of good new restaurants on the West Side.

Just because the old ones you used to go to are changing doesn't indicate an entire neighbourhood is hollowing out.
Such as?

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 11:05 PM

Well off the top of my head the last few years has seen Au Comptior, Anna Lena, Maenam, The Farmers Apprentice and Bufala. But that's just off the top of my head, and I spend half my time in Toronto so I'm sure someone local could offer some more jems.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2017, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
Well off the top of my head the last few years has seen Au Comptior, Anna Lena, Maenam, The Farmers Apprentice and Bufala. But that's just off the top of my head, and I spend half my time in Toronto so I'm sure someone local could offer some more jems.
Lucky Taco, Mak N Ming, Mr Red Cafe opened up a location out there.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Sad to see that Trafalgars Bistro on W.16th at Trafalgar closed this month. One of the city's best small neighbourhood restaurants.
A notoriously mediocre little dump IME.
Quote:
And when did Zest at 16th at Macdonald close?! One of the most underrated Japanese restaurants. .
From the website

Quote:
May 6, 2017

BORN + REBORN – We are closed for extensive renovation on May 28th.
After almost 12 years in business, Zest Japanese Cuisine will temporarily close its doors to be renewed. We have planned an extensive renovation as of May 28th 2017, and will therefore serve our last dinner on Saturday May 27th, 2017.

Also, we have some very exciting news. Our executive chef Tatsuya will move on to open his own restaurant in the Metrotown area this year. We were not able to make an announcement up until now as his lease agreement was just completed last week. We are very happy and excited for his new venture. We hope you can visit his new place and continue to enjoy his incredible pairing of wine/Japanese cuisine.

For the current Zest location, we will be reborn and will continue to serve high quality Japanese cuisine using the best ingredients possible, lead by a new executive chef arriving from Japan; the details will follow in our newsletter in a near future.

We appreciate your patronage and kindness you have given us throughout the years. We definitely could not have achieved our goal without your support.

For customers who plan to visit us during our construction, we apologize for any inconveniences this may cause you. We will contact you upon our reopening.

On behalf of all the Zest staff, we thank you again and hope to see you very soon in a new format.

Iori Kataoka

President, Zest Japanese Cuisine

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
how long has Swiss Chalet on west broadway been closed?
Many months now.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 12:56 AM

ah, I get a craving for them every few months, usually go to the burnaby or poco one though

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 5:37 PM

Looks like there's some renovations proceeding pretty quickly at the old Milestones on English Bay. Anybody heard what's opening there?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Looks like there's some renovations proceeding pretty quickly at the old Milestones on English Bay. Anybody heard what's opening there?
Someone on Reddit said they were tearing it down soon. Wouldn't be surprised if they did a quick reno if they are just going to run it for a short time period.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 5:39 PM

Chronic Taco is still around and expanding. On a list of 26 new locations they have listed, waterfront, BC, I assume it's going to open in the Vancouver area, Is it waterfront station?

Quote:
Following its 2016 expansion of 50 percent, Chronic Tacos is continuing this growth into 2017 and 2018 by spreading across North America and Canada.

2017 openings include:

Birmingham, Alabama (2 locations)
Waterfront, BC
Bell Gardens, California
Burbank, California
Clovis, California
Hillcrest (San Diego), California
https://m.qsrmagazine.com/news/chron...tm_source=jolt

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Someone on Reddit said they were tearing it down soon. Wouldn't be surprised if they did a quick reno if they are just going to run it for a short time period.
Hmm, it looked pretty extensive. I was just driving by but it looked like new windows? Isn't that retail part of the rental tower behind it? That would mean the whole tower was coming down wouldn't it?

Old Posted Jul 9, 2017, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Yablonski View Post
A notoriously mediocre little dump IME.
You must not have been to the same Trafalgars I did. Great menu and service and it certainly had a loyal following.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 5:27 AM

Milestone's at Highway 99 and 152 in Surrey is undergoing renos.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2017, 7:48 PM

While visiting my local watering hole (Boston Pizza in Metrotown) on Friday, I was surprised to notice that they are actually open every day of the week until 2pm.

I guess there is demand for that and it is great to see a suburban town center starting to have some "night life". After Metropolis closes, things get really quiet in the 'hood and I hope with Station Square there will be more restaurants that stay open until late in the evening.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Food & Dining