HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:00 AM

Don't know how to post pics, but somebody just posted a pic of this not very well loved LA building that looks remarkably similar to the proposed Austin monstrosity at 405 Colorado. Here is the link.https://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/pictur...s-CA-90017.jpg

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Don't know how to post pics, but somebody just posted a pic of this not very well loved LA building that looks remarkably similar to the proposed Austin monstrosity at 405 Colorado. Here is the link.https://thumbs.trulia-cdn.com/pictur...s-CA-90017.jpg

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 2:49 PM

I really really don't like the idea of a "design" commission controling aesthetics. Nope. Design function.. yes. Does the building respond to it's sight well?. Does it respond to the public well?. Is it pedestrian friendly? . Sure.
But NOT how does it look.
Most days I'd like to! But it just doesn't; work.
It is not not not a good idea to have a committee guide aesthetics. EVER. You just never know what arcane person will be doing that.
Better to risk trend and market etc.

This building is a perfect example. It is foward thinking in many ways. It is a very honest building in that they identified the functions and let them take their own weight in the design. It's why I like it. Would I have chosen some of the materials or angles? Maybe, maybe not. But I applaud the distinctive look , what it would do for the variety of the skyline.... and most of all.... the rise it gets out of soooo many people here. That tells me someone has done their job. They created something new. ( and please don't Hand me the "new is not always better line") I always like to remind folks how many people HATED The FROST design because they had never seen something like that. And nows its an Icon? Halarious!

So.... debate away.... but relish in an architect that challenges you... reconsider dumping on designs you just may not have seen yet. ( yeah the "jenga" building tag was not a compliment when folks started throwing it around.... but the I smartly grabbed onto it.)

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 5:00 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I just don't think there needs to be that much parking. We are trying to move away from a car-centric DT not make it even more appealing to drive a car. Besides there really is plenty of parking especially at night. Its possible that they were considering daytime public use but again if garages utilized their parking more efficiently then even daytime parking wouldn't be an issue.

The office portion was fine design wise.

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post

This building is also strikingly similar to 5th & West's triangular shape and podium

Old Posted May 26, 2017, 11:30 PM

those building look nothing alike ! LOL!
Its like saying all silver building look the same
Or all buildings with podiums look the same
Look harder.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie_guy View Post
This building is also strikingly similar to 5th & West's triangular shape and podium

It seems like this was meant to be posted in the Block 87 thread?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 11:20 AM
Meh

The building in LA that austlar1 mentioned and the one that tie_guy posted are one in the same. It's located in LA across the 110 from downtown. tie_guy was only pointing out that 5th & West and the LA building both have triangular towers sitting atop podiums. I think the 5th & West comparison is more accurate than the 405 Colorado or even the Block 87 one.

By the way, that little area of LA reminds me of what might have been with the Brackenridge redevelopment on one side of I-35 and the Huston project on the other.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 6:56 PM

Here's more information on 1100 Wilshire in LA. It was originally built as an office building, so the similarities with 405 Colorado are real, more so from certain angles. It sat empty for years before residential conversion. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1100_Wilshire and https://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=2607

Last edited by austlar1; May 28, 2017 at 2:33 AM.

Old Posted May 27, 2017, 11:10 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1100Wilshire.jpg

From this angle it looks more like the BoA building downtown perched on top of a too tall parking garage. At least the above ground parking in the BoA is mostly hidden. I can't get on board with any supertall, totally exposed parking pedestal, especially when it is in high contrast to the rest of the building. Its cheaper than digging underground parking and it sure beats surface parking, but it still screams parking garage, and that's the dirty end of an otherwise interesting building.

Last edited by the Genral; May 27, 2017 at 11:21 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:29 PM

They've posted a new video 'tour' of both the interior and exterior of 405 Colorado on the website:

http://405colorado.com/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 4:39 PM

I thought this current design was rejected.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 6:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
They've posted a new video 'tour' of both the interior and exterior of 405 Colorado on the website:

http://405colorado.com/
Hope this moves forward as designed.
Happy to be in the minority on this one.
Forward thinking building
Honest in it's functions.
Love how we see the materials better now
AND how the south side juts out and points to the elevators.
Great texture in terms of form and materials to add to the skyline

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 7:41 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
AND how the south side juts out and points to the elevators.
I think it's more of a wedge sliced into the building instead of jutting out. I like that feature. It's different.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I thought this current design was rejected.
The Design Commission voted not to give the density bonus allowing for the needed FAR increase based on the design. They can't just reject a design.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:27 AM
World Traveler

It does look better in the video, but I noticed how they chose not to show the backside in that little promo...

That said, I still wish they would do something different over the garage portion. If they did glass all the way down and continued with a similar design scheme, it could look pretty sweet, even if they still have half a building as parking. I agree that it's unique and the top half could add to downtown. Just not a fan of the split from brown to blue.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:47 AM

You know I wasn't on board when I first saw this, but now I'm starting to like it. It certainly is a unique tower, and it's not just a boring box.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 4:26 PM
クラブトクヨ

I like the building, hopefully they build it.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 5:49 PM

As I get older, my tastes change, I now like dryer wines, turnips and squash, things less sweet, but I still don't like lima beans, blackeyed peas, and this building.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2017, 9:21 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Decrease the parking portion plus add more windows to the north side and I'll be fine with it.

Austin needs to do an audit of all parking garage spaces in DT to find out how filled each garage gets during working hours. Many garages do not allow public parking during working hours but the fact remains that these garages have empty spots. The city needs to find out how much parking garage space is underutilized before allowing more oversized garages and figure out a way to get those garages to open to the public.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin