Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

This is the closest view of 600 S. Coronado I could find:

DW-SD-93-23-112 @ USC Digital Library
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post

FASCINATING old building, Flyingwedge. Very much in the style of the Mission Apartments. Thank you! Any idea of the building's name?
Looking through the CDs, 600 S Coronado seems to have been known as the Royal Court Apartments for most of its life. In 1911 and 1912, the address is listed as 604 S Coronado, but it's 600 from 1913 to 1942. The 1956 CD doesn't give a name.

I did find one oddity along the way. In 1916, 600 S Coronado was home to the La Grange Symmetrical School, (Kindergarten and Grammar Grades). It's the school's only appearance in the CDs.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
FASCINATING old building, Flyingwedge. Very much in the style of the Mission Apartments. Thank you! Any idea of the building's name?
Ooops . . . Hoss beat me to it.

Thanks, Jeff!

At least initially, it was known as the Royal Court Apartments:

March 1, 1910, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC via UC Riverside

The January 6, 1910, building permit lists the building's address as 600-604 Coronado and shows the building's owner,
James D. Fiscus, as the architect. The 1911 LA City Directory gives the address as 604 S. Coronado.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Sep 6, 2019 at 7:36 PM. Reason: too slow

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Noir Noir, thanks for posting the images of Camp McCormick (Hotel Huntington).

I especially liked the photograph of the switchboard because you can see the arched bay windows of the hotel. (in the background)

A few days ago HossC and I were discussing the window situation in the Taft Building. (southeast corner of Hollywood & Vine)

I just came across this photograph of Chester Conklin [c.1930]. At bottom right you can see the original window situation of the Taft Bldg.

Filming in Los Angeles / Arcadia Books

Frustratingly, the name of Chester's movie isn't included in the information.

Is anyone a Chester Conklin fan? I thought you might know the name of the film.

(1930 seems a bit late for a silent movie)

e_r: Going by the date, I wonder if it could be the 1930 sound short with Chester Conklin called Sky Scrappers . . . ?

Old Posted Sep 6, 2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Ooops . . . Hoss beat me to it.

Thanks, Jeff!

At least initially, it was known as the Royal Court Apartments:

March 1, 1910, Los Angeles Herald @ CDNC via UC Riverside

The January 6, 1910, building permit lists the building's address as 600-604 Coronado and shows the building's owner,
James D. Fiscus, as the architect. The 1911 LA City Directory gives the address as 604 S. Coronado.
Thanks, Flyingwedge and Hoss. I'd assumed this bldg. was on Bunker Hill, not remembering that Coronado Street is in the Westlake Park district - so had wondered why we'd never seen it in Bunker Hill photos. Now that's cleared up - and I wonder if anyone has an additional photo or photos of The Royal Court Apts? I am mesmerized by the bldg. Elements of the Green Hotel and The Hollywood Hotel, but quite singular on its own.
By the way, notice the sign across the street that says "Yorty." Was that our memorable Mr. Sam Yorty, circa 1940?

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 12:31 AM

Quote:
By the way, notice the sign across the street that says "Yorty." Was that our memorable Mr. Sam Yorty, circa 1940?
Could very well be, he ran for US Senate in 1940.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 9:11 AM

Quote:
I just came across this photograph of Chester Conklin [c.1930]. At bottom right you can see the original window situation of the Taft Bldg.

Frustratingly, the name of Chester's movie isn't included in the information.

Is anyone a Chester Conklin fan? I thought you might know the name of the film.

(1930 seems a bit late for a silent movie)
“Chester Conklin is out on a beam atop the newly completed Guaranty Bldg at Hollywood Blvd and Ivar in Cleaning Up” (Paramount, 1930). We see the vertical of the Pantages on the left and the Music Box Theatre further down the street. The image appears on page 35 of the Arcadia Publishing book "Location Filming in Los Angeles" by Karie Bible, Marc Wanamaker and Harry Medved. The page with the photo is included in the books preview on Google Books.”

https://losangelestheatres.blogspot....-overview.html

According to IMDB, the film features sound.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2019, 9:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
RE: Huntington Hotel, Pasadena

Thanks so much for sharing your memories, CBD.

Did you know the Huntington Hotel pool was California's first Olympic sized swimming pool? [built in 1926]
You were swimming in a BIG pool, CBD!

I've spent days looking at old Historic Aerials of the Huntington Hotel and I don't seem to see an Olympic sized pool anywhere on the property. That would be a pool about 164 feet long by 82 feet wide. Does anyone have photos of a pool that large at the hotel?

This is so baffling. LA noir is filled with mysteries.

On a side note, there is a huge pool of near that size at the Hearst Castle property but that's north of LA. Its called the Neptune Pool and was completed in 1936. You can even swim in it this summer for a fee...$1000

This is the pool I remember with its surrounding Bermuda grass and cabanas. I think the pool had been there for many decades.

eBay

Thanks to Noir Noir for the cool photos from WW II era Army days.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Sep 8, 2019 at 3:14 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 4:17 AM

Quote:
There's a 606 S. Coronado on the 1906 Sanborn Map, with the corner lot to the north empty. A building permit dated January 11, 1910,
provides for moving 606 S. Coronado to 283 S. Coronado, where it appears to remain today.

The building at 600 S. Coronado also occupied the former site of 606 and stood from 1910-59. Below at upper left is 600 S. Coronado
on the 1950 Sanborn, on the SE corner of 6th Street:

ProQuest via LA Public Library

Here's a fuzzy 1925 aerial with 600 S. Coronado at upper left:

EXM-P-S-LOS-ANG-CIT-BUI-095 @ USC Digital Library

These next two photos are undated but I'd guess c. 1940. Here, 600 S. Coronado is below the dog and cat food ad:

This is the closest view of 600 S. Coronado I could find:

What I love about LA is that so many of the old buildings are still to be found! I took a look at the panoramic and there was Blasdell Arms, Olympic Hotel, Hotel Stratford, Park Wilshire, Westlake Theater. All still standing

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 7:04 AM

Moving into Park LaBrea, 1963.

eBay

Down below, two Lyon Moving Vans and a snazzy car.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 8, 2019 at 7:30 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 7:22 AM

Two original slides of Hollywood at night, 1950s.

eBay

Looking north on Vine St. The recently discussed Taft Building is on the right. The iconic Capitol Records Building is in the distance.

The taxi cab is parked at the entrance to the Plaza Hotel. Across the street you can see the noirish Firefly Cocktail Lounge.

In this 2nd slide we're looking south on Vine St. The photographer might have been standing in front of the Vine St. Brown Derby.

eBay

Across the street you can see the Santa Fe Ticket Office and the American Broadcasting Company Theater....and..umm..Sy Davore....and at the end of the block, Wallichs Music City.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
“Chester Conklin is out on a beam atop the newly completed Guaranty Bldg at Hollywood Blvd and Ivar in Cleaning Up” (Paramount, 1930). We see the vertical of the Pantages on the left and the Music Box Theatre further down the street. The image appears on page 35 of the Arcadia Publishing book "Location Filming in Los Angeles" by Karie Bible, Marc Wanamaker and Harry Medved. The page with the photo is included in the books preview on Google Books.”
Thanks Scott Charles.

Cleaning Up is on Youtube. I sped through it (I'm not a big fan SLAPSTICK) and didn't see the sky scraping scene.

Video Link

This particular copy of the film is silent with Italian subtitles.

As I said earlier...I didn't see the elusive skyscraper scene but I did see a few mystery locations.

Street corner #1

Same street corner (#1), with street sign.

Street location #2.

I'm intrigued by the building on the left. (house-like...with an awning)

Street scene #3. Impressive corner building.

This almost looks like a fake building.

Same street scene (#3), with a HUGE clue in the distance. (the building above..is on the right, below)

But I'm not 100% sure which storage building that is in the distance.

Cleaning Up

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 8, 2019 at 8:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 8:34 AM

The last two are the intersection of Willoughby and Highland. Both buildings mentioned are still standing.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
Greetings fellow Noirishers!

Well I went and did it, started my own blog.

With all the cool old structures in LA being felled left and right I thought I would document them as their demo permits got pulled.

Sooooo here I am using this platform to shamelessly plug my new venture, but only 'cuz I figure some of y'all might dig it. Give it a look-see: R.I.P. Los Angeles
I saw this when you posted on Reddit. And then I came over here looking for 154 South Occidental Blvd. I could swear there was a post on that house about a year or two ago. But I couldn't find anything.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:

Street location #2.

I'm intrigued by the building on the left. (house-like...with an awning)
The filming locations on IMDb include Melrose and Heliotrope Avenue. I think I can see Ben Valle Co (grocers) in the background of one of the shots, and the 1932 CD lists a branch at 4315 Melrose. This appears to be e_r's "house-like" building, which still stands at 707 N Heliotrope Drive.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 8, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
===========================

It seems in keeping with Noirishness to look a moment into the demise of Mr. John T. Harris, "Successor to Schepps & Harris" (but not for very long . . . ):

both images from L.A. Times (dates as given in the images) via ProQuest via CSULB Library. Layout of articles rearranged for your viewing pleasure.

Does it strike me as interesting that "a young man, who works as an accountant at the club, was at work in Harris' room from 8 o'clock until 11 yesterday morning. He says he heard Harris snore. Manager Witt says that he does not know the name of this young man"? Nope, nothing odd at all about any of that. Company accountants in social clubs frequently do their best work in the rooms of guests of the establishment; and how can managers be expected to know the names of office employees? And I'm certain that the fact that this was the night before Valentine's Day is a mere happenstance. Fie on anyone who would see anything out of the ordinary in any of this!

Kidding aside, sorry, Mr. Harris, you had to live a life of personal and social challenges, with such an end.

A little more on the interesting Mr. Harris. Mention of his having been an actor in the troupe of Frederick Warde led me to do a little digging. Mr. Warde was a quite well-known actor, with a traveling company; there's an early film (extant) with him as Richard III in Shakespeare's drama of the same name.

I find Harris with Warde's company in October, 1901:

LA Herald 10/20/1901

and in Hawaii with Warde in May 1902:

Hawaiian Star 5/15/1902

Interestingly enough, a very young and inexperienced Douglas Fairbanks (Sr.) was with the Warde troupe about this time; quoting from Wikipedia's entry on Fairbanks: "[Fairbanks was] beginning a cross country tour [with Warde] in September 1899. He toured with Warde for two seasons, functioning in dual roles, both as actor and as the assistant stage manager in his second year with the group." Harris's and Fairbanks' time in the Warde company thus could have overlapped at the end of F.'s tenure (or, if not, very nearly).

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 2:43 PM

Yes! John T. Harris was an interesting man - Shakespearian actor, jewelry store owner ... and Beauty Doctor.

Note the names Mrs. Mary Ella Harris (his mother) and Mrs. Kathryn Hare (sister) from the funeral notice above.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 22 September 1907

John T. himself is at the helm in 1908.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 26 April 1908

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 26 March 1908

This case was seemingly dismissed when Mrs. Rutherford failed to appear for a later hearing.

John T. deserved a nice break after all that. Off to the delights of Europe for six months ... or maybe twelve.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 20 September 1908

He's back to the beauty doctoring business by early 1909 though ... and still having to prove himself in court.

cdnc.ucr.edu - Los Angeles Herald - 21 February 1909

He must have decided the jewelry business was a much more hassle-free option soon after. Perhaps not as things transpired.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Sep 9, 2019 at 3:52 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The filming locations on IMDb include Melrose and Heliotrope Avenue. I think I can see Ben Valle Co (grocers) in the background of one of the shots, and the 1932 CD lists a branch at 4315 Melrose. This appears to be e_r's "house-like" building, which still stands at 707 N Heliotrope Drive.

GSV
Hoss, thanks for finding the two buildings that appeared in the Chester Conklin movie, Cleaning Up. (1930)

This morning I snooped around the little bungalow on Heliotrope.

Here it is in 2007.

GSV.

I couldn't help but notice the little rectangular building on the right that looks like it belongs in a frontier town.

And again in 2011.

GSV.

What's up with the cheap looking roof? It looks like it was put on in one sheet....like linoleum on a floor. (it looks even worse in Hoss' photo)

I tried to find the building permits for both buildings without success. (the 'frontier' building is 713)

GSV 2011

Gin and Tonics at the Zebra Room for anyone who can decipher the sign.

DETAIL

UCK...............................................................................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 9, 2019 at 6:37 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 6:48 PM

Today's mystery location. Straight from Germany.

"Aus einer Tanzschule in Los Angeles!
Die kleinen Tanzgirls während einer Uebungsstunde im Freien."
Dating: August 1929

"From a dance school in Los Angeles.
The little dancing girls during an exercise lesson outdoors."
Date: August, 1929

bild.bundesarchiv.de....................................................................................................................................................................................................Sorry if we have seen this before.

Where was/is this wide open expanse?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 9, 2019 at 6:58 PM.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:30 PM

This is interesting as well.

At 3:51 in this 10 minute video...you see the arrival at LAX of Kennedy and Stevenson for the 1960 Democratic Convention. (This was a mere 16 days after I was born!)

Click here > filmothek

I am trying to figure out who this is at 4:13.

He's making an introduction and has a Massachusetts accent. (but I don't recognize him)

Oh..and watch for Eleanor Roosevelt at the 4:08 mark.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:

Gin and Tonics at the Zebra Room for anyone who can decipher the sign.

DETAIL

UCK
I was going to say that I found the answer by pure luck, but I think the answer is "Pure Luck"!

archives.quarrygirl.com

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos