HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 11, 2022, 11:12 PM

The zoning update process for the Crestview Village project at the Ryan Drive Austin Energy tract seems to have gotten started.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=803402

This project includes the park and multifamily areas shown in the image as well as redevelopment of the adjacent parcels along Justin Ln and N Lamar. That means Dia's Market, the old convenience store (now closed), and the two other buildings along Lamar near the tracks.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 8:13 PM

Will they have a pedestrian crossing over the train tracks to get to the station without going all the way around to lamar?

Edit: nevermind i see it now

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 8:27 PM

Dang Crestview is exploding.... Will Dia's have to close? That would really suck...

This all seems very kid oriented, which is appropriate for present day Crestview.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2022, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
Dang Crestview is exploding.... Will Dia's have to close? That would really suck...

This all seems very kid oriented, which is appropriate for present day Crestview.
Hopefully the "Bodega" is Dia's.

Yeah this is great. I'm still mad that the new mid-rises north of Crestview station have zero retail. Huge missed opportunity IMO

Old Posted Mar 13, 2022, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexal View Post
Will they have a pedestrian crossing over the train tracks to get to the station without going all the way around to lamar?

Edit: nevermind i see it now
They show it, but I’m not sure anyone bothered to talk to CapMetro about it.

For instance, ATP’s diagram for Crestview station only shows a crossing there if they end up depressing the red line and station.

https://atptx.org/docs/default-sourc...rsn=91f89aac_2

~page 36

Developers show stuff outside their control if it makes them look good. Like that Cedar Park development that was showing a train station.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myBrain View Post
Hopefully the "Bodega" is Dia's.

Yeah this is great. I'm still mad that the new mid-rises north of Crestview station have zero retail. Huge missed opportunity IMO
It probably didn't help that the existing retail at the station wasn't necessarily performing that well when those places were moving forward. That retail area is still facing an upward climb. The design is too inward facing, the original set of businesses were not great (a crappy Subway and f*ck Fuzzy's gross tacos forever), and the adjacent apartments are at least two stories too short.

I'd expect whatever eventually gets built at the Tyler's Outlet just north of the newer apartments to include retail. Same for the small lot across Banyon St, which had planned/approved retail that seems to have been killed by the pandemic. Out of the 4 or 5 apartment projects that are either under construction along N Lamar nearby or have been announced, I think only one is strictly residential (the one with underground parking, across from the scuzzy motels).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
Developers show stuff outside their control if it makes them look good. Like that Cedar Park development that was showing a train station.
PUBLIC AMENITIES:
NEW PEDESTRIAN CROSSING*

*only when train is at station with all doors open

Old Posted Mar 14, 2022, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
The zoning update process for the Crestview Village project at the Ryan Drive Austin Energy tract seems to have gotten started.
https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=803402

This project includes the park and multifamily areas shown in the image as well as redevelopment of the adjacent parcels along Justin Ln and N Lamar. That means Dia's Market, the old convenience store (now closed), and the two other buildings along Lamar near the tracks.

I think it's very encouraging to see a vertical development aimed at housing families with children. Austin could use a whole lot more family oriented projects. Does anyone know anything about the size (sq. feet) of the units and the number of bedrooms? This project seems to be something of a public/private collaboration in terms of financing. I've often wondered about the viability of building mid-rise (8 floors or under) market rate family oriented housing projects on large parcels such as outdated shopping venues or other obsolete commercial properties. I know a lot of families currently manage to live in fairly crowded apartments throughout the city, but I was specifically envisioning projects that are conceived from the ground up to provide affordable and relatively spacious (1,200+ square feet rental apartments or condos) aimed at families who might otherwise be seeking SFHs or town-homes. It's a type of housing commonly found in Europe and other developed areas. I think it is a housing model that could meet at least a small part of the demand for affordable housing, but i am not sure of the economics involved.

Last edited by austlar1; Mar 14, 2022 at 7:34 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2022, 3:09 PM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I think it's very encouraging to see a vertical development aimed at housing families with children. Austin could use a whole lot more family oriented projects. Does anyone know anything about the size (sq. feet) of the units and the number of bedrooms? This project seems to be something of a public/private collaboration in terms of financing. I've often wondered about the viability of building mid-rise (8 floors or under) market rate family oriented housing projects on large parcels such as outdated shopping venues or other obsolete commercial properties. I know a lot of families currently manage to live in fairly crowded apartments throughout the city, but I was specifically envisioning projects that are conceived from the ground up to provide affordable and relatively spacious (1,200+ square feet rental apartments or condos) aimed at families who might otherwise be seeking SFHs or town-homes. It's a type of housing commonly found in Europe and other developed areas. I think it is a housing model that could meet at least a small part of the demand for affordable housing, but i am not sure of the economics involved.
I can't speak to the economics involved either - I rented in a couple different countries in Asia for many years, mostly China. Different prices there unless you're talking DT Shanghai or Hong Kong, which are comparable to NYC or San Francisco (and maybe DT Austin now, haha). That said, I think there are a lot of people like us with young kids who would love this. Lot of benefits, close to a metro stop, close to shopping and dining (Triangle, mainly, but hopefully that area will get more and more!). Can most families afford it? Maybe not, but it really depends a lot on priorities as well. A lot of folks want to live close AND have a big yard like what you'd get in Hutto or something. Not gonna happen. We really miss urban living, but the suburbs are where we could afford.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 8:34 PM

Cranes up at Broadstone North Lamar. This is on Lamar just south of Airport.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2022, 8:38 PM

I for one welcome our new North Lamar Multifamily overlords.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I for one welcome our new North Lamar Multifamily overlords.
You have been banned from /r/crestview

Old Posted Mar 18, 2022, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
You have been banned from /r/crestview
Ha! Quality interweb humor.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 6:18 PM

Zoning request to rezone 0.15 acre SF-3 lot to MF-4 to incorporate it with the adjacent property to create 32 homes (3 floors, 16 units over 16 units over parking) on Guad between 55th and Nelray. This is the kind of development we need on corners in every neighborhood in the central city if we have a snowball's chance in hell of solving our housing crisis.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=887276

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsatx88 View Post
Oh no it’ll replace Marco House 😭. This is the very first spot I looked into when moving here nearly ten years ago. A bit rundown but dirt cheap at $400 a month.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 6:49 PM

Ah well that stinks. I looked at the Streetview and thought that the currently building was just single story office like we have a lot of in these areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Oh no it’ll replace Marco House 😭. This is the very first spot I looked into when moving here nearly ten years ago. A bit rundown but dirt cheap at $400 a month.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2022, 9:31 PM

No offense intended, but when I was a realtor for a second I leased several homes on Nelray. To put it kindly, they were the definition of a tear down.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2022, 7:33 PM

Site Plan withdraw/replace for the former Threadgill's site.

"The applicant proposes an office/retail and multifamily development with all associated improvements."

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...ertyrsn=189123

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 1:16 PM

Site plan filed for multifamily development at 8440 Burnet Road. The site is currently occupied by a strip mall that includes Nosh and Bevvy, Common Interest, and Slick Willie's. I know this one is not very popular with my neighborhood's Facebook page and, while I always applaud the addition of dense housing in this part of the city, it does seem like there are other parcels more ripe for re-development that this one. Too bad the proposal does not include ground floor retail, that feels like a bit of slap in the face, not sure if that is due to zoning restrictions of what.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=1003437

Old Posted Apr 11, 2022, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agsatx88 View Post
Site plan filed for multifamily development at 8440 Burnet Road. The site is currently occupied by a strip mall that includes Nosh and Bevvy, Common Interest, and Slick Willie's. I know this one is not very popular with my neighborhood's Facebook page and, while I always applaud the addition of dense housing in this part of the city, it does seem like there are other parcels more ripe for re-development that this one. Too bad the proposal does not include ground floor retail, that feels like a bit of slap in the face, not sure if that is due to zoning restrictions of what.

https://abc.austintexas.gov/public-s...rtyrsn=1003437
NOOOOOOO. HELLLL NO! AND NO GROUND FLOOR RETAIL. JESUS CHRIST. This ain't even NIMBYism for me, just against a total idiotic mistake.

For those who've not been to Common Interest, it's one of the few melting pots left in Austin. Such a beautiful mix of colors, sexualities and anything in between. This would be be a fair amount of steps backwards.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin