HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 3:33 PM
JDescutner

City, Walnut Capital team to advance affordable housing, workforce development in Larimer

"The URA and Walnut Capital are teaming to commit $1 million to support the construction of affordable housing on a vacant lot on Mayflower Street near Auburn Street, according to the mayor’s office. The single-family homes will be sold to households at or below 80% of the area median income."

https://www.post-gazette.com/busines...s/202102090144

Last edited by JDescutner; Feb 10, 2021 at 4:05 PM. Reason: Adding quotes from the article

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:12 PM
JDescutner

Also, per a press release from the city, the URA Board is about to approve the 42 affordable units at California Ave. and Kirkbride St. as well as the Flats on Forward project in Squirrel Hill, which includes 43 affordable apartments and retail space. The new building is replacing the former Squirrel Hill Theater.

https://pittsburghpa.gov/press-relea...-releases/4688

https://actionhousing.org/real-estat...ts-on-forward/

***As a long-time lurker but recent poster, can somebody explain to me how to add images? Thanks!

Last edited by JDescutner; Feb 10, 2021 at 8:21 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDescutner View Post
***As a long-time lurker but recent poster, can somebody explain to me how to add images? Thanks!
Linking to images is easy. Just click on the little yellow picture of a mountain three down from the hyperlink button, and paste in the image address.

Posting your own images is a bit more complicated, since this forum does not allow for attachments. You need to have access to a hosting site (Google Photos, Imgur, etc.) for that.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:21 PM
JDescutner

Much appreciated!!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Sorry, I just couldn't help but post about a proposed development that "will be a nuisance and safety concern to residents of Family House and Oakland in general".

I mean, if this gets built, I don't think I'll ever step foot in Oakland again for fear of my own personal safety.
Other people are such a nuisance. Just ask Sartre.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Other people are such a nuisance. Just ask Sartre.
Totally. Oakland would be much, much, much improved if I had it all to myself.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 4:47 AM
Ex Houstonian

Well they for sure aren't saving the historic building that burned this week on Carson Street.

Untitled by photolitherland, on Flickr

Some other photos I took today of stuff not so depressing, new development in the Strip.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:02 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
Well they for sure aren't saving the historic building that burned this week on Carson Street.
Well damn that sucks.

And this view is particularly powerful. Thanks for the photo updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 5:25 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
Yeah crazy to think nothing was there at all just a couple of years ago.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 2:17 PM

^ I've been taking rides down thru the Strip rather often over the past few months... it really is cool to see a neighborhood being built from literally bare ground, as you mention.

I noticed this the other day and it really bugs me! The moderne/deco entrance is basically the only thing that makes the building interesting and unique. Yet, they are going to cover it up with shit corrugated metal siding and vinyl wood-colored panels. Based on the renderings (https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...actory-26.html), they're not doing too much to the building's exterior... except throwing that crap on the entrance and front section. Why does everything have to look like the same cheap junk? I swear sometimes that "real estate people" are some of the truly dumbest mf'ers around. Ok, sorry, morning rant ended.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2021, 10:16 PM

^^ Sucks big time to lose that historical building, but I love to see all of that development in the Strip!

Old Posted Feb 15, 2021, 5:29 PM

March 4 ZBA is online. Took awhile to find because the city is now posting upcoming meetings in a different place.

Regardless, there is only one semi-notable item on the agenda for that week - a medium-sized HAcP infill project in the Middle Hill. The ZBA describes it as three two-unit buildings and two single-family homes. However, the two-units are actually semi-attached, just being considered two-units by zoning due to their status as rental housing (and that each semi-attached duo will be on a single parcel). So it's really just eight infill houses filling in a notable gap on Devilliers. Design is pretty basic - and modern - but at least it will be a bit more urban in built form than the remainder of the block, which was redeveloped back when it was thought remaking the Hill District into a suburb would solve all its problems. It looks like they plan on using the same design to infill a handful of other empty lots in the Hill District as well (such as here) though it's not included in this agenda item.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 9:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Design is pretty basic - and modern -
Unfortunately, the design isn't even modern, it's postmodern. This is truly awful unless you can spend the megabucks on more classic materials, and even then... Taking cost-effective modern exterior cladding and putting them on a child-drawn simplified version of traditional forms hardly ever looks good. Postmodernism worked in a few high-budget commercial applications (PPG Place for one), but IMO generally made for lousy residential architecture. I can't believe that it's back.

It's difficult to see through the landscaping, but this late-postmodernist house on Beechwood Blvd is a well-executed example of the style.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 1:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
Unfortunately, the design isn't even modern, it's postmodern. This is truly awful unless you can spend the megabucks on more classic materials, and even then... Taking cost-effective modern exterior cladding and putting them on a child-drawn simplified version of traditional forms hardly ever looks good. Postmodernism worked in a few high-budget commercial applications (PPG Place for one), but IMO generally made for lousy residential architecture. I can't believe that it's back.

It's difficult to see through the landscaping, but this late-postmodernist house on Beechwood Blvd is a well-executed example of the style.
I was being simplistic calling it modern. The thing is the Hill District has a lot of infill now, and most of it is broadly speaking neo-traditional. Like, this would be a legitimately nice development if they hadn't insisted on mixing Victorian-era massing with modern "urban-lite" setbacks.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2021, 3:49 PM

A fairly minor story, but the planned-114 unit apartment building at the corner of Penn and 32nd Street is moving along, with the developer closing on the property. They appear to be on track for a spring/summer start.

Last edited by eschaton; Feb 18, 2021 at 1:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 12:57 AM
Ex Houstonian

^
The strip is getting really close to connecting Lawrenceville to downtown with a solid street of urbanism from the doughboy on butler down Penn to the convention center.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2021, 5:04 PM

Echo Realty is moving forward with redevelopment of the former Shur Save in Bloomfield. The tentative plan appears to be a new 25,000 square-foot grocery store, another 10,000 square feet of retail, and 150 units of apartments, with some sort of parking garage. It's very early in the process though - we probably won't see any designs until the fall.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 3:33 AM

A new planning commission presentation dropped - for tomorrow - with little fanfare. Ever since they switched to the new format they seem to be posting things with very little advanced notice. Regardless, three new items for the coming week - all of them worth discussion.

1. Rezoning of 29 parcels in Larimer from single-family to LNC. This is being spurred by Steel City Squash's plan to build a sports facility with rear parking on one of the blocks - something which could not be done under current zoning. However, they are seeking a broader rezone than just on their facility site, and note that this will allow additional development - and mean that in the event that they cannot complete the project, it will be relatively easy to build multi-family housing on site. Considering the area has been a collection of vacant lots for decades - and there will be no serious private residential development in that part of Larimer for decades to come - I cannot complain.

2. A new four-story, 42-unit apartment building off of North Beatty in East Liberty. This project is within Penn Circle, directly behind the Detectives Building. Although the presentation is not explicit, I presume these will be in part affordable units given the location and Trek being the developer. I have...mixed feelings...about the development. On one hand, I think the street presence and massing is much more appropriate for the core of East Liberty than Mellon's Orchard (which had setbacks which seem quasi-suburban). I really like seeing a new mid-size apartment building in general, because it seems we typically get nothing new between townhouses and 100+ unit behemoths. On the other hand, the design is complete contemporary brobox. Also, while the parking is mostly obscured in the rear, around half of the parcel will still be taken up by surface spaces. I realize that you're not going to get affordable housing with a parking garage, but couldn't they do an L-shaped building and at least obscure the parking from one side?

3. Finally, Pitt has released its finalized new institutional master plan. There's a lot here, including the presentation, the plan itself, and an appendix. The presentation itself isn't all that helpful to me - it's too abbreviated and clearly meant just as a visual aid while the presenter talks about the IMP. The IMP itself has...a lot of stuff. Nearly 8 million square feet of potential development over the next ten years alone, a net of 1,000 beds of new dorms, and a new 280-foot health sciences building on Fifth. This is literally too information-dense for me to absorb much from at this time, but others should feel free to peruse.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 4:42 AM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Sharpsburg Ecodistrict Achieves Nationally Recognized EcoDistricts™ Certification, Becomes Third Certified in the World
February 12, 2021

The Sharpsburg Ecodistrict has been recognized with EcoDistricts Certification, joining the Millvale Ecodistrict and Etna EcoDistrict to become the third community in the world to attain this certification. To be eligible for EcoDistricts Certification, communities must fulfill the rigorous requirements outlined in the EcoDistricts Protocol, a framework to guide neighborhood development that prioritizes Climate Protection, Resilience, and Equity...
I chuckle a little bit at the headline, because it makes it sound like the whole world is racing to get this certification, when it's really something that was created by a local firm (the same firm that published this headline) and something shared by just three neighboring boroughs in little ol' Pittsburgh. But, who knows? Maybe in the future, there will be EcoDistricts as far away as... Brookline??

I jest, of course. This is good news, and there are apparently 14 other communities in the certification process, so the thing might have some legs. But did we really need another green certification program?

Old Posted Feb 23, 2021, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
On the other hand, the design is complete contemporary brobox.
Complete contemporary brobox

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja vu View Post
I chuckle a little bit at the headline, because it makes it sound like the whole world is racing to get this certification, when it's really something that was created by a local firm (the same firm that published this headline) and something shared by just three neighboring boroughs in little ol' Pittsburgh. But, who knows? Maybe in the future, there will be EcoDistricts as far away as... Brookline??

I jest, of course. This is good news, and there are apparently 14 other communities in the certification process, so the thing might have some legs. But did we really need another green certification program?
It was actually created by a Portland organization, but yeah, local firm evolve ea is involved with the organization and behind all three certifications here. It's pretty much total bullshit.

It's equally as hilarious as when Etna was named the "World's Second Certified EcoDistrict"... the first being Millvale.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations