HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 3:04 PM

Another nice article on the approval of the new Strip tower design:

https://nextpittsburgh.com/city-desi...-the-go-ahead/

I know it is not a thrilling use of space, but rapid Amazon delivery is basically becoming like a utility in terms of its necessity for urban development--ironically, somewhat like Sears back at its peak.

I'd be more concerned if the original project concept had involved a big new building, but it didn't. And if you are looking for a location for a warehouse/distribution-center to serve the East End but that is not going to interfere with present or near-future developments . . . this is a solid choice.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 5:02 PM

^ Riverfront warehouse/distribution center in Lawrenceville is what I take issue with.

It's a solid choice for Amazon and Spear Street, to be sure. Though not so much for the neighborhood's quality of future development. With this giant waterfront tract remaining as light-industrial/warehouse use, there is now zero "seeding" of the surrounding area for more appropriate present-day use; i.e., the huge surface parking lots owned by AHN, UPMC, and a transit company, as well as the dirty McConway & Torley plant will have far less pressure/incentive to adapt to a changing neighborhood in one way or another.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 6:53 PM

So although it is riverfront, I'd still rank Upper Lawrenceville's riverfront zone as one of the least important short-medium term development areas in the Greater East End. It is basically a dead end due to topography, it doesn't have good transit service, there is nothing much of historic interest in the built environment, and so on.

So if it is true that development elsewhere in the East End required a close-proximity Amazon distribution center--and I think that is really becoming true--then I am not sure there are any much better places to locate it.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 8:28 PM

^ I never consider waterfront land (particularly in the inner core, in the most sought-after urban neighborhood of the region) anywhere close to being among the "least important" development areas.

And especially not when the area (51st/Stanton to 57th) is undergoing significant revitalization, with new high-end condos, residential rehabs throughout, and multiple new commercial interests along Butler... I mean, this is where Lawrenceville has been pushing into, for the past couple years especially.

I'm not sure what you mean regarding transit and built environment... it's pretty similar there as it is anywhere else along Butler regarding transit and architecture. And there is always a better place to locate a warehouse and truck delivery center than on waterfront property.

This was an opportunity to change the prevailing use of the Allegheny riverfront, and there is an existing building available for lease that suits Amazon's needs, and Speer Street is in the business of making money, so this it the result we get. I get it, but it's certainly far from a good use for the land. There's a reason why the Lawrenceville CDC groups are pissed about it. It runs fully counter to what they're trying to do because they understand that Lawrenceville has only barely scratched the surface of what it can become... and that its real potential is predicated upon modification of the use of, connection to, and integration with the riverfront.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 9:09 PM

Where with the same proximity to the East End would be a better spot for a similar-sized distribution center?

Edit: Here by the way is a background article on this issue I read a while back:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/03/am...ct-u-s-cities/

It outlines Amazon's strategy to use smaller, closer fulfillment centers to roll out faster same-day/next-morning delivery service for a lot more items. Among other things, they are competing with Target and WalMart, who can offer curbside pickup and potentially delivery out of local stores (such as the Target in East Liberty).

Last edited by BrianTH; Dec 10, 2020 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2020, 9:34 PM

^ I don't really know. Nor am I interested in that. It obviously seems great for Amazon, but I don't care about what's great for Amazon.

The warehouse is built and it's huge and it's convenient for them, so I get why they're leasing the space. But I care much more about Pittsburgh's riverfronts and neighborhoods than I do Amazon's convenience and fortunes.

I'm sure a warehouse that size doesn't exist in close proximity to the East End. Maybe Amazon could scrape some money together to adapt/build a facility at Edgewood Town Center property or kick start the Hazelwood development

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
Where with the same proximity to the East End would be a better spot for a similar-sized distribution center?.
62 St./ Flemming Bridge site owned by the URA. There's no residential or redevelopment pressure in that area. And it has direct access to Hwy 28. However, Amazon would have to build a facility there and deal with city approvals, while the Sears site is an existing warehouse and can be done by-right.

The Amazon facility is a needed use, but 51st Street is a wasted opportunity for better and higher uses. I'd say the city and neighborhood bit themselves in the backside with this.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
62 St./ Flemming Bridge site owned by the URA.
Fair enough, although that is also a riverfront location.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2020, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Be That Guy View Post
62 St./ Flemming Bridge site owned by the URA. There's no residential or redevelopment pressure in that area. And it has direct access to Hwy 28. However, Amazon would have to build a facility there and deal with city approvals, while the Sears site is an existing warehouse and can be done by-right.

The Amazon facility is a needed use, but 51st Street is a wasted opportunity for better and higher uses. I'd say the city and neighborhood bit themselves in the backside with this.
I think that could potentially be a better site, but as BrianTH mentions above, it's still riverfront... even though the train tracks do run much closer to the bank there. It is a bit more out of the way, especially since that Sunoco tank facility sits adjacent. And it's likely to not garner too much development interest for residential, given the tracks and Sunoco.

The Amazon occupancy sounds like a done deal, so I'm resigned to that fact. I just don't think it's where Lawrenceville wanted to go. I'm bullish on recreational and residential development (and maybe a decent bar or restaurant! ) on the riverfronts. And I guess anything that runs fully counter to that, like a distribution warehouse, just doesn't sit well with me.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
I'm bullish on recreational and residential development (and maybe a decent bar or restaurant! ) on the riverfronts. And I guess anything that runs fully counter to that, like a distribution warehouse, just doesn't sit well with me.
I certainly think that is a consideration, but it is also the case we still have a LOT of development sites available on the riverfronts. Because we have a lot of riverfronts!

And nothing is forever, and in this case the capital investment is pretty minimal. So in 15 years when Amazon is using drones to deliver packages from its dirigible distribution centers, we can revisit this use.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:42 AM
somewhere in-between

NEXT Architecture posted some completed photos of The Riviera at PTC recently on LinkedIn. Take a look at these, compared to the renderings from (already!) 2 1/2 years ago. And how about that elevator lobby?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 1:15 PM
Northsider

The Riviera design is pretty sad. A bland grey box?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 2:35 PM
somewhere in-between

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
The Riviera design is pretty sad. A bland grey box?
Yeah, it could be better. But I guess it fits the "aesthetics" of the rest of the PTC?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:35 PM

Yeah, there is a somber vibe to the PTC I don't particularly love, but I suppose it has the virtue of consistency.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
I certainly think that is a consideration, but it is also the case we still have a LOT of development sites available on the riverfronts. Because we have a lot of riverfronts!

And nothing is forever, and in this case the capital investment is pretty minimal. So in 15 years when Amazon is using drones to deliver packages from its dirigible distribution centers, we can revisit this use.
True, but that is a really big chunk of riverfront in the prime Pittsburgh neighborhood.

It was encouraging to have a planned development up in that section that actually acknowledged and engaged with the waterfront, albeit with just some patio-type amenities and a recreational trail. I can't see Spear Street/Amazon doing anything of the such now. The riverfront portion will more than likely remain truck loading docks.

It's a real loss for riverfront redevelopment in Pittsburgh. And 15 years from now... I will be

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:11 PM

I'm more annoyed at the interiors. Looks like Marriott attempting an imposter boutique hotel.

Back on here after somehow losing account access and giving up on it for months. Quick thoughts I've had building over the last month while lurking:

1) The JMC strip district building is much improved. Unfortunate that the planning commission is causing so much trouble, but seems like it worked well this time.

2) Amazon in Lville... seems like such a waste, but also a huge traffic generator in a neighborhood that is already struggling.

3) The Penn Plaza redevelopment is looking SO TALL. I knew the scale of it on paper, but seeing it in person now that it has topped out, it's a dramatic change to the E Liberty skyline.

4) I don't think we've seen the full effects yet of covid on real estate. How Pittsburgh fits into all of this is an even bigger question mark. I spent the last month and a half in SF and rents there are down 30%. Tech workers are running for the exits there and they're unlikely to return. Obviously it's due to the insane cost of living there, which isn't an issue in Pittsburgh. But much of our recent hot office market was also related to tech. Will we capture some folks moving from larger metros now that they are untethered from the office? Or are these people skipping major cities completely? Out west, tech workers are buying up homes along the coast, in mountain & rural areas. I'm sure many industries will go back to the office, but with tech, I think this may be pretty permanent. On the other hand, Pittsburgh's tech industry pretty specialized (robotics, etc), so the impact could be less. It's going to be interesting to see play out. My gut is that the current large office projects on the books may be the last we get for quite a while.

Last edited by AaronPGH; Dec 14, 2020 at 5:22 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 4:56 PM

Quote:
3) The Penn Plaza redevelopment is looking SO TALL
which one is that?

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 5:16 PM

^ East Liberty Whole Foods/Office project on the site of Penn Plaza housing project

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 8:50 PM

Pittsburgh councilor Corey O’Connor wants to reallocate some city budget funds away from Mon-Oakland Connector proposal
https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=18537454

Hard to tell from the article but it appears like he's pushing to divert 4.1 of 23 million dollars. I say cancel the project entirely! It is a text book example of a boondoggle designed to benefit just a few people.

Old Posted Dec 15, 2020, 3:24 PM

‘Stop the Violence Fund’ shifted from Pittsburgh police budget after outcry
https://triblive.com/local/stop-the-...-after-outcry/

From article:
Quote:
They also included a shift of $4.1 million in bond money for the Mon-Oakland Connector Project to funding housing programs spearheaded by the city’s Urban Redevelopment Authority.

The shift, spearheaded by Councilman Corey O’Connor, who represents the area, was made because “projects like this don’t need to happen right now,” O’Connor said.

It will also allow the project to be fine-tuned with more transparency and resident input, he said.

Many residents have opposed the project, which would link Hazelwood Green with Oakland through Panther Hollow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations