HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 1, 2016, 2:39 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ Keep in mind that those images are just place holders and the final rolling stock hasn't been decided on yet. Some of those images are also from when the route just included the bridge section, and it probably would have been more like conventional LRT rather than suburban metro then with smaller trains than currently planned.
Exactly. As you can see in the picture below where a heavier-looking train is shown, nothing is set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Old Posted Feb 17, 2017, 5:31 PM

Construction should commence in June 2017. Project announced April 2016 and construction begins 14 months afterwards, impressive.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 2:47 AM

Trudeau commits $1.28 billion toward major Montreal transit project

Quote:
Ottawa is committing $1.28 billion toward a major Montreal rail project that will connect the city to its suburbs and to its international airport, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Thursday.

At the outset, the funds will come in the form of a grant via Ottawa's infrastructure-funding agreement with Quebec, Trudeau said.

Once the federal government's proposed $35-billion infrastructure bank is operational, Quebec can submit the project for approval, which, if granted, would free up the $1.28 billion for other infrastructure projects in the province.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 3:59 PM
More transit please

Construction start is now due for November 2017. It's a lot more official now that the project is 100% funded.

Expected ridership without the three new stations (Edouard-Montpetit, McGill and Bassin Peel) is 167,000 users daily.

Official REM map showing the connections with all the existing transportation lines:

https://www.cdpqinfra.com/sites/defa..._fr_161130.png

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:16 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

I'm guessing this will end up using Skytrain technology since its Bombardier owned automated LRT and works magnificently in Vancouver most of the time... Plus a skytrain solves a lot of below ground issues. Won't be surprised if many American cities end up buying into a Bombardier-run consortium of industrial contractors backed with Euro dollars looking to cash in on broke American cities needing turnkey transit solutions en masse... Which is kind of what the UTDC plan was all along back when the Government on Ontario pioneered the technology in Kingston!

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:43 PM

No it's not going to be ART/SkyTrain but elevated LRT but due to being 100% grade separated this really is a Metro.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:24 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

So the original GOTransit vision is coming to life eh? Love it!

For those of you who don't know the story, the existing Go Train system in Toronto was originally planned to be Automated LRT cars powered by overhead wires aka this exact merger of technologies...

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
So the original GOTransit vision is coming to life eh? Love it!

For those of you who don't know the story, the existing Go Train system in Toronto was originally planned to be Automated LRT cars powered by overhead wires aka this exact merger of technologies...
the downtown portion will be underground.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 7:53 AM
dazzle me

^ not so great. taking that tunnel away from the other commuter trains and any eventual hsr is pretty unfortunate. also, unlike every other p3 i can think of, there is no term of years so far indicated, so that this train project is looking like it will be private forever, instead of reverting to the public after 30 or whatever years. this is especially disturbing considering that the public will be turning over the autoroute rights of way, the tracks, the bridge right of way, and the tunnel, in addition to contributing 3 billion dollars.

if i were archon of quebec, i'd approve the project as proposed, but sunset it to public ownership after 30-35 years. and if the caisse balked, i'd build the portion south of bonaventure station on public money and drop everything else.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 4:10 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by a very long weekend View Post
^ not so great. taking that tunnel away from the other commuter trains and any eventual hsr is pretty unfortunate. also, unlike every other p3 i can think of, there is no term of years so far indicated, so that this train project is looking like it will be private forever, instead of reverting to the public after 30 or whatever years. this is especially disturbing considering that the public will be turning over the autoroute rights of way, the tracks, the bridge right of way, and the tunnel, in addition to contributing 3 billion dollars.

if i were archon of quebec, i'd approve the project as proposed, but sunset it to public ownership after 30-35 years. and if the caisse balked, i'd build the portion south of bonaventure station on public money and drop everything else.
The only commuter trains using that tunnel are Deux-Montagnes (converted to REM) and Mascouche (transfer at A40). As we know, transfers aren't ideal but they're not the end of the world either, people using the Mascouche line will actually have more destination options now with the Edouard-Montpetit and McGill stations.

As for the HSR, TGF, whatever you wanna call it by VIA, it's a pipe dream. There's nothing concrete in that project, and VIA is dependant on the federal government's money because they have none. If it is completed, the TGF people will need to transfer at the A40 Station to get downtown. Let's face it, it's not ideal, but this is something that is done in many places in Europe and works. Paris has like what, 5 different terminal stations?

Last edited by SkahHigh; Jul 4, 2017 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2017, 5:24 PM

Quote:
As for the HSR, TGF, whatever you wanna call it by VIA, it's a pipe dream. There's nothing concrete in that project, and VIA is dependant on the federal government's money because they have none. If it is completed, the TGF people will need to transfer at the A40 Station to get downtown. Let's face it, it's not ideal, but this is something that is done in many places in Europe and works. Paris has like what, 5 different terminal stations?
Big mistake in the long term regardless of what the situation is in Paris or London. Intercity rail is already weak in Canada and we are now just starting to serious look at it as an alternative to increasingly congested roads and security delayed short haul flights. VIA has recently introduced direct trains between Ottawa and Quebec City via Montreal. This makes it totally impractical for potential riders.

In other words, if I want to go to Quebec City on VIA Rail, and I am expected to transfer twice between trains in Montreal with luggage in hand, I will say, forget it, with a big exclamation mark, It really kills train transfers in Montreal if the destination is Quebec City.

Last edited by lrt's friend; Jul 4, 2017 at 6:42 PM.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Big mistake in the long term regardless of what the situation is in Paris or London. Intercity rail is already weak in Canada and we are now just starting to serious look at it as an alternative to increasingly congested roads and security delayed short haul flights. VIA has recently introduced direct trains between Ottawa and Quebec City via Montreal. This makes it totally impractical for potential riders.

In other words, if I want to go to Quebec City on VIA Rail, and I am expected to transfer twice between trains in Montreal with luggage in hand, I will say, forget it, with a big exclamation mark, It really kills train transfers in Montreal if the destination is Quebec City.
if you want to go to Quebec City, use your car.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
if you want to go to Quebec City, use your car.
Exactly. Get rid of VIA, the sooner the better.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:56 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Get rid of VIA, the sooner the better.
you'll need a car in Quebec City anyway. VIA is usefull for cities with a good mass transit.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:

There is false information spreading that the REM will kill VIA's HSF and VIA won't be able to go to Central station from the North. There are tracks CURRENTLY being used by VIA trains that go around the mountain, it adds 18-20 minutes to the trip compared to using the tunnel directly. VIA used to have an electric tractor to push trains up the tunnel but decided for operations that going around the mountain is easier, even if it's longer.

Even with the added 20 minutes, it will still be shorter to go from Central Station to QC City from the North Shore than the current route. And for people who don't want to lose 20 minutes, they will be able to disembark at the REM station.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_jeffrey View Post
There is false information spreading that the REM will kill VIA's HSF and VIA won't be able to go to Central station from the North. There are tracks CURRENTLY being used by VIA trains that go around the mountain, it adds 18-20 minutes to the trip compared to using the tunnel directly. VIA used to have an electric tractor to push trains up the tunnel but decided for operations that going around the mountain is easier, even if it's longer.

Even with the added 20 minutes, it will still be shorter to go from Central Station to QC City from the North Shore than the current route. And for people who don't want to lose 20 minutes, they will be able to disembark at the REM station.
Thank you for the clarification. We cannot disconnect VIA service from Central Station.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2017, 3:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the clarification. We cannot disconnect VIA service from Central Station.
With the law approving a US pre-clearance border patrol at the Central Station passing parliament a few weeks ago, it is essential to centralize all rail links to this station. Especially with future connexions to Boston and Washington.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 3:09 AM

Quote:
With the law approving a US pre-clearance border patrol at the Central Station passing parliament a few weeks ago, it is essential to centralize all rail links to this station. Especially with future connexions to Boston and Washington.
Is Amtrak willing to offer those services?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Is Amtrak willing to offer those services?
Yes, tracks were even upgraded in prevision of this. Depends if the USA will cut service though...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/s...ears/82379346/

Old Posted Jul 6, 2017, 2:18 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Quote:
We cannot disconnect VIA service from Central Station.
Yeah, of course I wasn't saying we should kick out VIA of Central Station entirely. However, if we have to scrap the REM or change the whole project to save 20 minutes on the TGF, the choice is pretty logical.

Quote:

I'm not that familiar with VIA's operations outside the Montreal-Toronto corridor. Which tracks are you referring to?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation