HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

PENN 15 in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 10:19 PM
New Yorker for life

Just to note Facebook has been looking for space.

https://www.bisnow.com/new-york/news...ison-ave-96173

Not To Be Outdone, Facebook Is Looking At Its Own Major NYC Expansion

December 19, 2018
Miriam Hall

Quote:
Two of the world's five bellwether tech companies have announced major expansions in New York in the last two months, and a third is looking at a Big Apple move of its own. Facebook is in talks to lease SL Green’s One Madison Ave. tower, an indication the tech giant is expanding more in Manhattan. It is not clear how much space it is considering at the planned redevelopment at Madison and Park avenues between 23rd and 24th streets in the tech-savvy Midtown South neighborhood, the New York Post reports.

Right now, Facebook leases 758K SF at 770 Broadway and another 266K SF at 225 Park Ave. South.

Facebook was reportedly close to inking a lease that would give it 870K SF across the entire office portion of 63 Madison Ave. in NoMad. However, the Post reports that deal may not be going ahead.

Once complete, One Madison Ave. will be almost 1.5M SF. Construction will start in in 2020 or 2021 when current leases expire.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2019, 11:55 PM
DENNAB

Conceptually this is cool, like if you were theoretically standing in one of the open spaces. Other than that this is pretty awful looking, I hope for some major revisions.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 2:53 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

But of course, Verre was too close to the ESB and had to be chopped down.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:08 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
But of course, Verre was too close to the ESB and had to be chopped down.
Amanda Burden is probably recovering in her hospital room after viewing the renderings... Along with Gale Brewer.

But as far as I recall, the revised design has already been approved. I do believe though that Vornado has used its last permit renewal.

__

But I don't even think the design overall is terrible. It's just in the wrong location, is more bulky than you would like that close to the ESB, and the worst part about it is the top. Make it look like New York. Even the Penn East tower gives us a little flair.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:40 AM

if Vornado took down the brochure then they know about this thread

also that means Vornado is reading this thread

If vornado is reading this, your building is a$$, build something beautiful

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:43 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Amanda Burden is probably recovering in her hospital room after viewing the renderings... Along with Gale Brewer.
A lot happened when they viewed these renderings. Gale Brewer went through a 3rd stage Metamorphosis transforming over the span of a few hours to her final form, into a Jabba the Hutt species.

The life cycle went a little something like this... straight from the medical literature;

=====>

Renderings can be quite powerful in there effect is them moral of the story.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 3:50 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Facebook’s Possible 1,400-Foot ‘Penn15’ Supertall Revealed As Vornado Appears To Change Plans For 401 Seventh Avenue, In Midtown Manhattan

Quote:
One of the largest potential office buildings in New York City has long been in the works on the site of the Hotel Pennsylvania, at 401 Seventh Avenue, with renderings for a soaring supertall first released last decade. But now, YIMBY has the latest on Vornado’s newest vision for the site, which would place Facebook within a massive 2.8-million-square-foot tower designed by Rafael Vinoly, dubbed “Penn15” in the brochure.

While the renderings and design are fresh, Facebook has already publicly committed to One Madison Avenue in NoMad, so this ideation may already be moribund. However, the reconception is a likely indicator that the old design by Pelli Clarke Pelli has now fallen by the wayside, with the new scheme built around open floor plans and numerous outdoor spaces designed to lure technology tenants.

The new plan would span the same square footage as the old, however, the configuration of the tower would be dramatically different. Variable stacked floorplates would be interspersed and cantilevered atop one another, with each of the tower’s five components totaling 560,000 square feet apiece.

All of the renderings for the plan feature Facebook’s logo emblazoned across either the page or the tower itself. The design of the base of the tower would be particularly elegant, featuring a terraced garden atop the first floor, and a soaring glass atrium in the middle of the structure. The combination would result in a surprisingly light impact on the pedestrian sphere for a supertall that would be both taller and visually bulkier than the Empire State Building, just a few blocks to the east.

While Penn15’s rooftop would stand 1,400 feet above street level, its interior would only include 48 usable floors, with 43 of those dedicated to office space. The bottom of the tower would span three floors, including the lobby, streetfront retail, conference space, a restaurant, and two theaters, one of which could hold up to 700 people.

No tentative completion date has been mentioned, and no commitment from Facebook has been formally announced. However, with the success of Related’s Hudson Yards and Brookfield’s Manhattan West just a few blocks to the west of Penn Station, redevelopment pressure in the vicinity is likely to increase, and it is difficult to imagine that a hotel where rooms are currently available for $75 a night has substantial staying power when its potential razing and redevelopment would be a boon to its owners, the neighborhood, and the skyline.
===========
NYY

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 1:17 PM

I'm only referring to Penn15 as Penis going forward.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 4:28 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
A lot happened when they viewed these renderings. Gale Brewer went through a 3rd stage Metamorphosis transforming over the span of a few hours to her final form, into a Jabba the Hutt species.

The life cycle went a little something like this... straight from the medical literature;

=====>

Renderings can be quite powerful in there effect is them moral of the story.

Throwing Facebook into the mix will only enrage these zealots further. I still thinks its too early for that, and the renderings are just a pitch.

As for the renderings being taken down, who puts something they don't want seen online?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 4:36 PM
New Yorker for life

On another note, the reopening of the Gimbel's passageway is something I'm excited about, and we've been waiting for. Looks like it would be open to daylight as well.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:13 PM
New Yorker for life

You see, the media's already running with it...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dai...-sidewalk.html

The hanging gardens of Manhattan: Plans for spectacular 1,400 foot-tall skyscraper boasting tree-filled parks hundreds of feet above the sidewalk are revealed

By Andrew Court
06 Jun 2019

Quote:
Artist renderings show how New York City's iconic skyline will be dramatically transformed by a new high-rise building.

While plans for a skyscraper at 15 Penn Plaza have been in the works for some time, newly-released designs from real estate company Vornado allow a vivid look at the future of Manhattan.
Quote:
The spectacular structure will reportedly stand nearly as tall as the the Empire State Building, and it boasts a more modern aesthetic, aimed at luring in tech giants to be its key tenants.

Currently known as Penn15, the 1,400 foot skyscraper has been already been compared to a Jenga tower, with the building jutting in and out from its spine to allow for dozens of outdoor terraces with plenty of green space.
Quote:
Artist renderings show tree-filled parks suspended thousands of feet in the air, as potential occupants work away in grassy gardens that feels miles from the hustle and bustle of Manhattan.

The green areas have no doubt been designed to appeal to tech companies, many of whom hold an eco-friendly ethos.

Such flexible work spaces are also likely to attract other future-minded enterprises, with employees able to work both indoors and outdoors, away from the confines of a desk.

Other artist renderings show occupants working remotely on laptops and smartphones, as they lounge in chairs and sit on bar-stools.

Facebook reportedly had plans to move into Penn15, with many of the artist renderings showing the social media giant's logo plastered across various indoor areas.

However, the company has made no official announcement, and they have recently leased space at nearby One Madison Avenue.
Quote:
However, the building could still draw in dozens of top tech firms, as it boasts bright and airy work spaces in addition to its lush outdoor areas.

Each space inside Penn15 boasts floor to ceiling windows.

While the Empire State Building features 104 floors, Penn 15 will only include 48 usable floors, despite being taller in height.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:15 PM
BANNED

I hope that FB hasn’t sealed a deal with SLG for One Madison and that it goes here instead.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:21 PM

The trend of office buildings getting taller with less floors is concerning. Canning efficiency of space for icon status, views and subsequently higher rents. It's comparable to the void floor controversy uptown, something Vinoly has propelled. Tenants these days love tall ceilings and floor to ceiling glass, but 48 floors for a 400m skyscraper? Mind boggling.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 7:10 PM
BANNED

But isn’t this tower around 2.5 msf? That’s huge.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:06 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson11 View Post
The trend of office buildings getting taller with less floors is concerning. Canning efficiency of space for icon status, views and subsequently higher rents. It's comparable to the void floor controversy uptown, something Vinoly has propelled. Tenants these days love tall ceilings and floor to ceiling glass, but 48 floors for a 400m skyscraper? Mind boggling.

I don't see how or why it should be concerning. The fact is, it's a huge tower. Office towers are more complex than they were ages ago and also require more mechanical space. This tower is also larger than 270 Park, another building that could easily top 1,500 ft. You have the extra large floor plans to thank for it not being taller than it is. As for higher rents, well that would be to the point of it. I think if you are gonna put up a tower, you want to maximize any returns, regardless of size or type.

This city was the showplace for skyscrapers and ambition to reach the clouds for well over a century. No need for any pretense of modesty now.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:38 PM
DENNAB

From East to West this tower looks about 350 feet wide, that's giant. My fear is that it will overpower ESB. I wouldn't mind a better looking building in such proximity to accompany the king though.

Hopefully there will be a helipad on the roof that Zuckerberg can fly onto. That'll go great with the tacky Facebook blue crown (which I think the building would look much better without honestly).

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
On another note, the reopening of the Gimbel's passageway is something I'm excited about, and we've been waiting for. Looks like it would be open to daylight as well.

Does mean this that will be reopen the passage under 32nd Street, connecting Penn Station to the 34th Street (New York City Subway) and 33rd Street (PATH) stations?

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:36 AM

Looks like it does.

source (and great read) :
http://www.erictb.info/33passage.html

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 4:45 PM
Metal Up Your !

This building is atrocious. No grace whatsoever. This is not architecture. Modernism is a shame to NYC. NYC should NOT allow this abomination to ever come to fruition. If it does, then I can tell you right now I will curse NYC.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:24 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotizzy View Post
This building is atrocious. No grace whatsoever. This is not architecture. Modernism is a shame to NYC. NYC should NOT allow this abomination to ever come to fruition. If it does, then I can tell you right now I will curse NYC.
I agree, while there are some cool aspects to it, overall this building is just ugly. Why can't we have awesome designs AND awesome height? I look at buildings over in China, crazy tall and generally nice looking and wonder why we can't do the same.

I'd love to see another Shanghai World Financial Center or Chow Tai Fook Center in NYC, just to name a few.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals