HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
I definitely, 100% agree with "...but the tree cover on some streets in other areas -- and even in some center city areas -- is laughable". Walk at mid-day up 9th Street between Filbert and Race Street. It's as bright and sun-parched, and incredibly unpleasant (at least on my admittedly very photo-sensitive eyes). It's not alone; there are so many blocks with few to no trees, much to the detriment of the city. I'd honestly give up capping any highways to have every block in the city be as well-treed as some blocks in Center City. That to me really affects the urban experience, and not as much weather some grass was planted on top of a highway.
Philly has a street tree planting program. If the property owner goes online and requests one the City will plant one for free. Philly has actually been very good about increasing tree cover the last few years.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:30 PM

We do need more trees, but there is an issue of upkeep. CCD, not the city or Fairmount Park Commission, takes care of many of Center City's trees and large planters, but they have finite boundaries. When trees are small they're very easily damaged, and when they're big they can cause a lot of damage (falling limbs, roots heaving sidewalks, etc.).

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 12:34 PM

None of this is a reason not to plant more trees, just something to think about. Pruning, watering, and clean-up for one tree in a dense urban area is insignificant, but it's very expensive when multiplied by hundreds or thousands.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 7:11 PM

Chestnut Hill development.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...tnut_Hill.html

Little bit of sidebar humor, the NIMBY group protesting this project was called, "Adjacent Neighbors Association." LOL, I mean, what a fantastic NIMBY name!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2014, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Little bit of sidebar humor, the NIMBY group protesting this project was called, "Adjacent Neighbors Association." LOL, I mean, what a fantastic NIMBY name!
Kinda redundant, isn't it?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 2:40 PM

Been looking into some movement on a mysterious new Carl Dranoff project on the Camden waterfront.

https://southjerseyist.wordpress.com...en-waterfront/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Been looking into some movement on a mysterious new Carl Dranoff project on the Camden waterfront.

https://southjerseyist.wordpress.com...en-waterfront/

Carl Dranoff has been trying to get this off of the ground for a while now.

More renderings here:
http://www.dranoffproperties.com/por...pers-crossing/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 3:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Carl Dranoff has been trying to get this off of the ground for a while now.

More renderings here:
http://www.dranoffproperties.com/por...pers-crossing/
It's crazy to me they've got all that stuff on their website when it's just in the early planning stages.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 5:11 PM

Quote:
It's crazy to me they've got all that stuff on their website when it's just in the early planning stages.
judging from those renderings, the planning calls for 'no black people.' That is a pretty huge oversight for that location.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
judging from those renderings, the planning calls for 'no black people.' That is a pretty huge oversight for that location.
You're on the wrong page: http://www.dranoffproperties.com/community/

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
I would like to see it capped from 10th Street to 22nd honestly and we shouldn't settle for any less.

Think, with this section of the Vine Street Expressway capped, it would connect the Ben Franklin Parkway to the future Reading Viaduct Park with continuous green space. One could walk along the Reading Viaduct Park, through Vine Street Parkway, through the Ben Franklin Parkway, through Fairmount Park, through the Wissahickon. Miles upon miles of continuous green space.
Check out this site with a bunch of Mappy's rendering's that supports the Capping of 676: www.Cap676.com

Also, if you support the movement, like the Facebook page ( facebook.com/cap676 )

I think the more we spread the idea of capping 676, the closer to reality it could become.

Last edited by Kfmcshan; Aug 26, 2014 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2014, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mappy View Post
Heh, well, that's pretty much any of Camden's development of any kind, right? The city leaders and Coopers Ferry don't have a super track record of treating the local community all that well. If you're talking about affordable housing, there's probably no way you can call for any kind of affordable housing from anything new going up in Camden though, right? The surrounding suburban communities have spent the last 50 years paying Camden to take their obligations. There're more affordable units there than anywhere per capita.

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:59 PM

Smaller than most of the developments posted here but does anyone have any idea what in the world is going on with the McIllhenny Mansion? I remember it was reported that Bart Blatstein had purchased the mansion and was demolishing the 20th century rotunda to build a 4 story addition to match the original mansion. I assumed that meant that the original 1850s mansion would be preserved.

I walked by today however and.... well i can't even really describe what is going on there. Luckily I have a picture, although it is sideways.

It's hard to see but this steel structure is actually protruding out of the windows. Is it possible that all of this is a temporary structure to secure the building? If so that seems fascinating. I just hope the original facade isn't altered in any way, I always loved this building.

Old Posted Today, 1:00 AM
Exhale solutions.

That looks like a facadectomy about to happen.

Old Posted Today, 1:42 AM

Big name developer Bart Blatstein bought the property and is converting it into his personal new residence. The small structure to the right of this building will be demoed to make way for an expansion. This is probably bracing to keep the structure intact during the demo and subsequent renovations.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development