HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 10:41 PM

Neither canceled nor built for now. It was originally 220m tall if I remember well, but strangely, except for Phare and Hermitage, all projects whose upper floors were above 200m were shortened to heights slightly lower than 200m. I suspect the ITGH safety standard (an invention of the French administration) to be responsible for that. I don't know the details of the ITGH specifications, can't find them anywhere.

There are now 2 standards in France for skyscrapers.
  • IGH: immeuble de grande hauteur (great height building). That's just about all buildings from 50 to 200m tall, although it's actually a bit more complicated depending on the use of a building. There's now quite a load of IGHs over the country, especially in metro Paris, obviously.
  • ITGH: immeuble de très grande hauteur (very great height building). Any building beyond 200m tall. There is no such building in France yet. Not a single one yet, except for the Montparnasse tower (210m) that was built in the early 70s, like 40 years before that ITGH standard. So my question is why did they invent those ITGH specifications if no developer can even implement them.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2014, 11:26 PM
Come As You Are

The Aurore was a nice tower, full of that mid-century character. Even its sign on top has that feel to it. It's a shame that one of La Defense's first skyscrapers has to go, but if nobody is anymore willing to take time and effort into keeping it going, I guess this new building is also okay. Though I am sure that once buildings like Aurore are considered historic (they already are, in my opinion) people will be sad they lost this.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 2:08 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

From where come the high of 195m?
According permit built documents the tower is 203m tall (247.66m NGF).

It is even writted on this signboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughesnick312 View Post
I thought this was 200m+, is it being built or has it also been hit by the nimby plague
No, the tower is 200m+, it is an error of this thread.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato Ku View Post
From where come the high of 195m?
Always the same at la Défense, depends on the side from which you look at it. 203m from the boulevard actual ground, 195m from the esplanade elevated deck. I can't remember where I'd got that height from, probably pss-archi as usual. It's only 8 little meters anyway. Of course the original 220m design would've been a little better to make it slightly more slender for a same floor area and rise a bit more over D2 that you can't miss from the redeveloping boulevard. Although if it's ever built the way it is now, I certainly won't complain about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
I am sure that once buildings like Aurore are considered historic (they already are, in my opinion) people will be sad they lost this.
I can't tell. Possibly, but it's been vacant for too long, now looking neglected. Also, there's a couple of too many buildings of Aurore's height along the esplanade, espcially around that very spot on which you get 4 buildings of that same height (~100m) in a row. Greater height variations will make it funnier.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 7:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneGuy View Post
The Aurore was a nice tower, full of that mid-century character. Even its sign on top has that feel to it. It's a shame that one of La Defense's first skyscrapers has to go, but if nobody is anymore willing to take time and effort into keeping it going, I guess this new building is also okay. Though I am sure that once buildings like Aurore are considered historic (they already are, in my opinion) people will be sad they lost this.

On this photo it looks great, air2 is also one sexy tower, la defense is so dense now they have to demolish smaller towers to make way for bigger ones

Old Posted Jan 3, 2014, 10:27 PM
Tokyo and Paris fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousquet View Post
Always the same at la Défense, depends on the side from which you look at it. 203m from the boulevard actual ground, 195m from the esplanade elevated deck. I can't remember where I'd got that height from, probably pss-archi as usual.
Right, I remember now.

I have been in Courbevoie town hall with Brisavoine to check the reality of height of this tower, we came back with the figure of 203.6m.
Height also confirmed on the pannel.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2014, 3:52 PM

Briefly, Cochise brought this pic to SSC.

There you can spot Aurore and have a comprehensive view of the configuration around. This is all built upon the madly large deck of la Défense. I'd forgotten the Manhattan tower right behind Aurore in my previous comment, cause it's slightly larger than the 4 I mentioned and differently shaped, but not any taller. So it's actually 5 100m-tall buildings in a row you get there. I say that's too many. This picture shows the positive impact of Air² over the area. The lowrises right between the esplanade and the taller buildings are residential, so I eventually changed my opinion about them. They don't necessarily have to be torn down. But I'd like the local community to help the inhabitants to really improve them somehow. Some shinier facades with more attracitve commercial spaces on 1st floors would be perfect.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2014, 5:14 AM

Quote:
Well known render including 4 new towers, 3 of them currently U/C (Majunga, Carpe Diem, D2):
-
A clean, lovely, contemporary CBD.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 4:58 PM

Ah thanks to Jexmen for that, he found some renderings, a couple of them never seen before.
We know it's foot connected to D2 alone is a significant improvement, I'm just still curious about what it brings to the skyline.

http://www.arcora.com/projets/tour-air2-a-la-defense/

It is something, quite a noticeable addition. Although only an 800 footer at least can now make a real difference for the skyline in there.

Mah, the thing is that district was made to also feature a great skyline after all. It'd be completely wrong to be modest when it ain't supposed to be so. Right?
Of course I'm right.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2014, 10:22 PM
BANNED

What do you think the chances are of this being built?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2014, 9:50 AM

^ I can't read in the developer's mind but their project is all offices and speculative, while the local office market has been going down as we said it several times on the forum... So they just mustn't be in a hurry, must be watching for the right time to launch the work.

By the way, though I don't think I'd ever seen them, the 2 last renderings are quite ancient. That was before the tower was slightly shortened. You should now try to imagine the result with roughly 20m less and a couple of more buildings of about the same height in there. In short and again, a supertall to tease and arouse this thing is now seriously needed, cause it's been kind of asleep.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive