HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

View Poll Results: Is SEPTA doing a great job in regards to bus, subway, and commuter rail overall??????
YES 56 48.70%
NO 59 51.30%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Aug 23, 2015, 1:24 PM
Me?!?

Tracks from railroads' past seen as path to future.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/Tr...to_future.html

Old Posted Sep 8, 2015, 5:57 PM
Me?!?

SEPTA adding subway stations for papal visit
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/po...EEMmQVy7f91.99

Old Posted Sep 10, 2015, 11:17 PM

19th st trolley station from a few weeks ago:
085 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

084 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 11, 2015, 12:36 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Anyone know what are the longest trains that SEPTA operates on commuter routes? And the typical length of trains?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 4:08 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

SEPTA typically operates married pairs of Silverliner EMUs.

Either 1 pair (2 cars) or 2 pairs (4 cars).

The longest trains in the fleet are the peak-only push-pull fleet. 7 or 8 cars, I think. RR platforms are ~500 feet long (3 EMU pairs) and they overhang them by a car or two.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 5:16 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 1:15 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
I think the longest is either 6 or 7. I know the Great Valley Flyer trains are 6 cars long, as is the late morning rush/late pm rush express between 30th Street Station and Wayne.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 7:28 AM
Greetings from New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
19th st trolley station from a few weeks ago:
085 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

084 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr
They should went have went with taller Boston style fare gates. Which seem to cut down on fare jumping...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:55 AM

Update on the Septa Key system:
http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...re_on_way.html

Quote:
The digital readers have been at the 13th Street station for over a year, and at the City Hall station since Dilworth Plaza's makeover, SEPTA spokeswoman Jerri Williams said, but installation has accelerated and they are now at 130 locations out of 452 planned, she said. All but 20 of the stations on the Market-Frankford and Broad Street lines now have the new card readers, as do the Green Line Trolley stations at 19th and 22d Streets.

The turnstiles can scan traditional fare cards, but a few people have been issued Key cards as part of the testing process. The new cards will not need to be swiped, Knueppel said, but can just be placed near the turnstile for a fare to register.

When the new cards will be widely available is not clear, Williams said. Along with the city rail system, the new turnstiles will be installed on buses, trolleys, and the Norristown High Speed Line - 1,865 vehicles total, Williams said. The target is to have a soft launch of the system when every station has at least one card reader and one fare kiosk, she said.
Employee training classes for the Septa Key are set to commence starting next month, according to a flyer posted in the bus depot where I get my pass every week.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:48 PM

For anyone who didn't make it to Philly for the Papal Festival, one of the best things about the whole weekend was having car-free Center City (and few cars in University City). Recurring large-scale street closures like this, known as Open Streets, are common in many cities abroad and in the U.S.

There's now an effort to bring Open Streets events to Philly beginning in 2016 https://www.change.org/p/jim-kenney-...in-summer-2016

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 3:56 PM

Strolling car-free streets was the one positive that came out of this weekend. I'd support this. But I think for a lot of people, the entire weekend left a very bad taste in people's mouths.

Of course, if this were to happen again, the circumstances would be much different. Parked cars could remain on the street and the timing would have not to affect people coming home from work on Friday night. Still, convincing people that a car-free weekend would be much different than the debacle that occurred this past weekend would be an uphill battle.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
Strolling car-free streets was the one positive that came out of this weekend. I'd support this. But I think for a lot of people, the entire weekend left a very bad taste in people's mouths.

Of course, if this were to happen again, the circumstances would be much different. Parked cars could remain on the street and the timing would have not to affect people coming home from work on Friday night. Still, convincing people that a car-free weekend would be much different than the debacle that occurred this past weekend would be an uphill battle.
What debacle? Please summarize for us non-Philadelphians.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 4:52 PM

Frontier Airlines adds flights from PHL Airport

Quote:
Getting to the Rocky Mountains just got a little easier.

Frontier Airlines announced Tuesday it would add nonstop service between Denver and PHL Airport starting March 17.

Frontier announced in April nonstop flights from Philadelphia to Minneapolis and Houston. The airline announced in January non stop services to Atlanta, Charlotte and Chicago from PHL Airport.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...l-airport.html

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthsox View Post
I don't consider it a debacle (things went quite well), but there was security zone overkill - i.e., far more restrictions on travel and parking than were really necessary. Google "Papal visit traffic box" and you'll get the gist.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:25 PM

Quote:
I don't think so. I'm assuming the "debacle" (not sure i'd call it that...) that you're referring to was the mass exodus of virtually all of center city's residents due to the crazy media coverage and scare tactics in the Pope-visit lead up that led to a crazy slow weekend for businesses.

B/c once the streets were closed...it was wonderful.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorthsox View Post
It was security overkill, to the point that it's like why even bother hosting these events. Basically, secret service forgot that people live and work in the city. In order to secure a religious figure and accommodate his followers, city residents and businesses were swept aside.

Transit and road closures made it impossible for people to get in and out of the city; schools and businesses had to shut down on Friday and Monday; non-essential city offices closed; people living in the ridiculously large "secure zone" had to move their cars off the street; and because of the uninviting atmosphere, most city residents skipped town, people from the burbs stayed away, and small businesses lost a lot of money.

I'm just imagining that if the city tried to shut down the streets again, the people will rebel due to the misconception that closing the streets to cars would replicate the same circumstances that occurred this weekend. Of course, that would NOT be the case and so I'd fully support shutting down the streets to cars for a weekend.

EDIT: Yes, Londonee, your assumption is correct.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 6:30 PM

Quote:
It was security overkill, to the point that it's like why even bother hosting these events. Basically, secret service forgot that people live and work in the city. In order to secure a religious figure and accommodate his followers, city residents and businesses were swept aside.

Transit and road closures made it impossible for people to get in and out of the city; schools and businesses had to shut down on Friday and Monday; non-essential city offices closed; people living in the ridiculously large "secure zone" had to move their cars off the street; and because of the uninviting atmosphere, most city residents skipped town, people from the burbs stayed away, and small businesses lost a lot of money.

I'm just imagining that if the city tried to shut down the streets again, the people will rebel due to the misconception that closing the streets to cars would replicate the same circumstances that occurred this weekend. Of course, that would NOT be the case and so I'd fully support shutting down the streets to cars for a weekend.

EDIT: Yes, Londonee, your assumption is correct.
As a Center City resident, it was surreal, interesting , and something me and my family will remember. Playing ball (wiffle ball, soccer) and walking down the middle of the streets created views that you normally don’t see as pedestrians on sidewalks. The National Guard guys were great – friendly, helping tourists and getting to know the neighbors. It was a weird mix of feeling like we were in a zombie apocalypse and also a snow day, without the snow.

The reality is that the impact was not worse than a major snow storm and considering that if we rely on history, the Pope may not be back for another 35 years. I think it was well worth putting Philadelphia on the international stage for an entire weekend.

As far as the lost restaurant business, while I’m sure true, we could easily blame everyone who ran out of town. And why? I guess because they felt that if they needed to drive in and out of the downtown, they wouldn’t be able to do so. The restaurant owners should be blaming their usual customers if they want to blame anyone.

As a Catholic who attended the Sunday Mass, it was an incredible experience – I won’t focus this post on that.

I think a lot of people wrote the negative headlines before the event even occurred and because they might be personally inconvenienced, wanted it to fail. Sorry, it didn’t folks. For those that didn’t come down for the events and also don’t live in Center City, what are you even complaining about? No need to complain on my behalf, I was rewarded with a lifetime of memories.

Common negative retorts to the positive news from the haters:

The Parkway was full from Eakins Oval to City Hall for the Mass – “but they said it would be 1.5 million people and it wasn’t so the whole thing sucked.”
Security lines were too long – “not enough security personnel.”
There were no security issues – “that’s because there was too much security.”
The hotels were at 90% - “but they should have been 100% and they only got to 90% by dropping prices.”
Unlike the Phillies parade, SEPTA managed the surge of riders at the conclusion of the Mass, vowing to leave no one behind – “that’s because they didn’t sell enough passes.”

Basically, any logistical success was due to the failings of the event. Any failings of the event was due to the failings of the government”

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
I think it was well worth putting Philadelphia on the international stage for an entire weekend.
When you say it was well worth it, can I ask if you or your family lost income this weekend? My wife lost two days of work (unpaid). I know servers who lost an entire weekend of tips. A co-worker of mine who works at the KOP mall on weekends to make ends meet wasn't able to work Saturday or Sunday. This event hit a lot of people in the wallet very hard. It's great that Philadelphia shined in the public spotlight, but throwing city residents and businesses under the bus to achieve that is not the way to do that.

But, like I said, having the city streets car-free was one positive and I hope it can be a once annual thing.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2015, 7:55 PM

Quote:
When you say it was well worth it, can I ask if you or your family lost income this weekend? My wife lost two days of work (unpaid). I know servers who lost an entire weekend of tips. A co-worker of mine who works at the KOP mall on weekends to make ends meet wasn't able to work Saturday or Sunday. This event hit a lot of people in the wallet very hard. It's great that Philadelphia shined in the public spotlight, but throwing city residents and businesses under the bus to achieve that is not the way to do that.
I get it and that certainly is a downside and I’m certainly not dismissing it but once again, a snow storm would have the same impact. It’s not like this went on for weeks or that this occurs every year. I’m sure some people in 1979 probably lost some money that weekend as well. World cities host world events for better or worse – what does Philadelphia want to be? Her residents like to dismiss their home as second rate but then when we hold first rate events, it’s too much of an inconvenience.

For the World Meeting of Families, it was in Milan for 2012, Philadelphia for 2015, and will be in Dublin for 2018. That's pretty good company but I guess we should have just send them and the Pope somewhere else.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2015, 11:00 PM

http://www.septa.org/media/50th/orig...l-service.html

I think that is necessary to organize a petition to do return the 24/7 subway service in Philly. Philadelphia DESERVES a 24/7 subway. Patco is 24/7, NYC subway ( 20 lines.... ), SIR, Path, L Chicago ( 2 lines ) are 24/7. Philadelphia is a great city and it HAD a 24/7 service until 1991 !!! Today Philly is less violent than 1991 and now it is possible to have CCTV in every corner of all the stations. hope that SEPTA realizes that..........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation