HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 1:37 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Unreal. 6 in a row. If they played like this before they bagged out. Maybe we could have been in the play offs.
It's kind of frustrating that the moment they were mathematically eliminated, they started to play very well.

I believe this may be the first time in Jets 2.0 history that they won 6 in a row.

The last time the franchise did that was in 2010 in Atlanta.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 9:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Replace Enstrom with Poolman? Are you joking?

First off, Enstrom is one of your best LHD, and a top 4 defenseman on the team, even if he is past his prime. Poolman is a bottom pairing defenseman, and a RHD. He is also 24 years old. I'm not sure if you follow hockey much, but Poolman is not going to be a defensive star.
He is the top four defenseman under the defensive coach who is most likely going to be sacked in the off season, after many years of lackluster quality in the back end. Enstrom and Stuart are both garbage, and need to go.

Also, Poolman is right handed, but if you watched some NCAA hockey you would notice that Poolman plays most games on the left side. Which is exactly why he would replace Enstrom. Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers are all locked in on the right side, meaning that Poolman will probably play next year on the left side. In fact it is more common than you think for D men to play on their off side, same with forwards.

I never said Poolman would be a star, in fact I don't think he will be, but;

if you knew anything about him, you would know that he is great offensively, is amazing on special teams (something the Jets could use all the help they can get with) he also has a really solid first pass, which is always needed on the left side. He also has a nasty wrist shot, which is heavily utilized playing on your off side, something you know when you play or watch the game (look at Laine on Power Plays). I personally think the Jets will have him in the line up this year, and he could easily take over Enstrom's roll if he falls into place nicely. Just look at how nicely Morrisey fell into place. Now he wasn't drafted at the same spot as Morrisey, but he has gone through some major changes and improvements in his game since 2013. He definitely needs to step up, because he only has one year to do it, with his contract being up next year as well. But since being drafted he has really grown, and I can see him being the number 2 left side d under Morrisey. He might eventually be a last pairing D, because Stanley is also a beast, and is hu-ugeee (Also left side D)!

Enstrom is a UFA in 2018, and I don't see the Jets resigning. Another thing you are forgetting, the little man has always been plagued with injuries.

I don't know what LHD and RHD mean, can you clarify?

I have watched every Jets game I could since they came back. I also follow the moose and the Jets drafts. I watch WHL hockey, OHL hockey, and NCAA hockey. I have season tickets to the Vancouver Giants and go to every game (Though I am naturally a Wheat Kings fan, I just live in Vancouver). I also grew up playing hockey right up to the OJHL, and will be going to play in Germany this August for DEL 2. If DEL 2 doesn't pan out (because I have to actually try out in August in a showcase to make the team) then my plan b is to open a hockey training facility in Vancouver & Winnipeg similar to the Total Hockey facility in Minnesota. I think I know a little bit about hockey. Just because my opinion doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean you should automatically discount what I have to say, as someone who doesn't watch hockey, and when it comes down to it, it seems you are the one who doesn't seem to follow enough to know all the facts.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2017, 10:29 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDBO View Post
I think perhaps Flaherty should go before he ruins Eric Comrie, Like he did with Helle and Hutch !
Hellebuyck is far from ruined. For crissakes the guy just completed his first full year of nhl hockey. He actually has respectable numbers in spite of the way the team has played in front of him.

Special teams and defense need to be addressed. I don't think Flaherty should be canned.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 1:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
He is the top four defenseman under the defensive coach who is most likely going to be sacked in the off season, after many years of lackluster quality in the back end. Enstrom and Stuart are both garbage, and need to go.

Also, Poolman is right handed, but if you watched some NCAA hockey you would notice that Poolman plays most games on the left side. Which is exactly why he would replace Enstrom. Byfuglien, Trouba and Myers are all locked in on the right side, meaning that Poolman will probably play next year on the left side. In fact it is more common than you think for D men to play on their off side, same with forwards.

I never said Poolman would be a star, in fact I don't think he will be, but;

if you knew anything about him, you would know that he is great offensively, is amazing on special teams (something the Jets could use all the help they can get with) he also has a really solid first pass, which is always needed on the left side. He also has a nasty wrist shot, which is heavily utilized playing on your off side, something you know when you play or watch the game (look at Laine on Power Plays). I personally think the Jets will have him in the line up this year, and he could easily take over Enstrom's roll if he falls into place nicely. Just look at how nicely Morrisey fell into place. Now he wasn't drafted at the same spot as Morrisey, but he has gone through some major changes and improvements in his game since 2013. He definitely needs to step up, because he only has one year to do it, with his contract being up next year as well. But since being drafted he has really grown, and I can see him being the number 2 left side d under Morrisey. He might eventually be a last pairing D, because Stanley is also a beast, and is hu-ugeee (Also left side D)!

Enstrom is a UFA in 2018, and I don't see the Jets resigning. Another thing you are forgetting, the little man has always been plagued with injuries.

I have watched every Jets game I could since they came back. I also follow the moose and the Jets drafts. I watch WHL hockey, OHL hockey, and NCAA hockey. I have season tickets to the Vancouver Giants and go to every game (Though I am naturally a Wheat Kings fan, I just live in Vancouver). I also grew up playing hockey right up to the OJHL, and will be going to play in Germany this August for DEL 2. If DEL 2 doesn't pan out (because I have to actually try out in August in a showcase to make the team) then my plan b is to open a hockey training facility in Vancouver & Winnipeg similar to the Total Hockey facility in Minnesota. I think I know a little bit about hockey. Just because my opinion doesn't line up with yours doesn't mean you should automatically discount what I have to say, as someone who doesn't watch hockey, and when it comes down to it, it seems you are the one who doesn't seem to follow enough to know all the facts.
LHD: Left Handed Defenseman
RHD: Right Handed Defenseman

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
Unreal. 6 in a row. If they played like this before they bagged out. Maybe we could have been in the play offs.
Unbelievable. They play their best hockey when the year is already another wasted one. And all it really means is a likely worse draft position.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 4:33 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post
Unbelievable. They play their best hockey when the year is already another wasted one. And all it really means is a likely worse draft position.
In a way though, the mentality of us "tanking" to get a better draft position didn't happen this time, because I think this is more of a blessing in disguise for two reasons.

I mean sure, it may give us a bad draft position, but if history has shown, we were projected to have the 6th pick last year, until the draft lottery promoted us to 2nd pick, at the expense of Vancouver.

If we have the same luck as last year, we may have top 3 again, or maybe even first pick.

The other reason of course is that we want to finish the season strong, and give the mentality to our young players that losing isn't what the team is striving for in the long run anyway.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 7:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
Stuart is a poor defensemen. Enstrom is not. However, saying Enstrom is garbage is a telltale sign that you don't know much about defensemen. Enstrom may not be as good as he was during his peak (2009-13), but he has been consistently our best LHD.

Source:

https://jetsnation.ca/2015/11/5/tobi...t-around-here/

Garrett Hohl happens to be arguably the best NHL stats guy in Western Canada.

Quote:
Also, Poolman is right handed, but if you watched some NCAA hockey you would notice that Poolman plays most games on the left side. Which is exactly why he would replace Enstrom.
Poolman may be better than Postma and Stuart, but there is virtually no chance you will see him in the top four Jets defensive pairings. If Poolman were that talented, he would have made the jump to the NHL in 2014-15, as there would have been no incentive to stay in college.

Quote:
if you knew anything about him, you would know that he is great offensively, is amazing on special teams (something the Jets could use all the help they can get with) he also has a really solid first pass, which is always needed on the left side. He also has a nasty wrist shot, which is heavily utilized playing on your off side, something you know when you play or watch the game.
Yes, he is a star player that can do all that and more in COLLEGE HOCKEY. Last time I checked, the NHL was a higher caliber league.

Quote:
I personally think the Jets will have him in the line up this year, and he could easily take over Enstrom's roll if he falls into place nicely. Just look at how nicely Morrisey fell into place.
Morrissey and Poolman are not even comparable. Morrissey is a far better player, competed in numerous International Tournaments for Canada, was a top ranked defenseman in the 2013 NHL draft (going #13 overall), and is two years younger than Poolman to boot.

Quote:
Now he wasn't drafted at the same spot as Morrisey, but he has gone through some major changes and improvements in his game since 2013. He definitely needs to step up, because he only has one year to do it, with his contract being up next year as well. But since being drafted he has really grown, and I can see him being the number 2 left side d under Morrisey. He might eventually be a last pairing D, because Stanley is also a beast, and is hu-ugeee (Also left side D)!
First off, saying Poolman has really grown since 2013, when he was picked #127 overall, but that is not really saying much. Poolman has been a great College player, but he is certainly not elite, and has never r won major College awards, or been selected to International Tournaments (WJC or World Championships). Poolman as a RHD, would be #4 on the depth charts behind Byfuglien, Myers, and Trouba. Playing as a LHD, he would still be behind Morrissey and Enstrom, but would likely replace Stuart, and would probably be better than Chiarot, Melchiori, and possibly Postma.

Secondly, there is no guarantee Logan Stanley will ever make the NHL as a regular player. The consensus by most hockey experts, is it was a poor choice, and the Jets should have gone with someone else. Stanley was injured for most of the year, and has even been compared to Boris Valabik (Thrashers first round pick) that was tall and imposing, but was a bust.

Quote:
Not nearly as much as Myers, Bogosian and Clitsome (now retired).

Quote:
LHD- left handed defenseman
RHD- right handed defenseman

Quote:
Many Jets fans have done the same as you have. I was in the NHL from 2001-05. I was drafted by the Flyers but mainly played in the AHL.

Garrett Hohl also played hockey at many levels, and like you, lives in BC. There is a huge portion of the internet hockey community who take his word as gospel. You may have played hockey, and watched hockey, but considering you are ranking Poolman so high, you may not understand the difference in skill level it takes to jump from College to the NHL.

Look at the accomplishments of Morrisey and Enstrom. Enstrom has made it to the Swedish National Team and played on World Championships. However a fallout with the management led him to not participate in the 2010 or 14 Olympics. Considering he was selected for the 2011 NHL all-star game, he surely would have made at least one Olympic team.

Poolman is not even on the radar. His greatest accomplishment is being selected for the 2016-17 NCAC (Division) all-star team. Good, but not impressive from an NHL standpoint.

At best, Poolman can be the 5th best defenseman on the Jets. At worst, he will be fighting it out with Postma for the final roster spot. We'll see who is right in 2018. at any case. I want to see Poolman exceed expectations, but I also being realistic.

Last edited by Jets4Life; Apr 8, 2017 at 10:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2017, 8:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLLB View Post

Tanking the season in order to secure a high ranking draft pick would send a terrible message for players, fans, and personnel. It's argued that Buffalo tried this in 2014-15, not only by trading for Kane and Bogosian, who were both injured for most of the remainder of the year, but it appeared the organization was not trying to improve, in order to secure Connor McDavid as their #1 pick. It obviously did not happen.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Tanking the season in order to secure a high ranking draft pick would send a terrible message for players, fans, and personnel. It's argued that Buffalo tried this in 2014-15, not only by trading for Kane and Bogosian, who were both injured for most of the remainder of the year, but it appeared the organization was not trying to improve, in order to secure Connor McDavid as their #1 pick. It obviously did not happen.
I wasn't talking about tanking at all, that does no one any good. It just so frustrating that they can't play well and can't win more than 3 when it matters but can win 6 (or 7?) in a row until it doesn't matter one bit. Where where they the rest of the year? Another wasted year. Maurice has to go or it will be the same old, same old next year as well

Old Posted Apr 9, 2017, 11:29 PM

Maurice will get an extension. That is almost a certainty at this point.

I have a bad feeling Chevy's lone move to improve the defense will be the signing of Poolman who has not proven anything at the NHL level. Prove me wrong Chevy!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

I have a bad feeling Chevy's lone move to improve the defense will be the signing of Poolman who has not proven anything at the NHL level. Prove me wrong Chevy!
It will be another wasted year if Maurice is still there. 1 playoff series, 0 wins. His track record say it all.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 4:19 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post

If Chevy does not make some trades that will help us on the blueline, or for a reliable veteran goalie, I will question the Jets organization. We have two forwards (Dano and Petan) that most teams would snap up in a second, that are spending more time in the press box than on the ice. If the Jets are not going to utilize their excess offensive firepower, we should trade them for players in a position that the Jets are poor at.

We allowed some of the most shots, most goals against, and were horrible at penalty killing. We need the coaching and personnel who can properly address these problems. Interestingly, a poster on another forum posted what Hurricanes fans were saying about Maurice shortly before he was fired from Carolina. It echoes the opinions of Jets fans, only 5 years ago. Maurice is a mediocre coach, and his system is ineffective. Extending him would send a message that the Jets value loyalty over performance on the ice.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 1:40 PM
BANNED

Quote:
If Chevy does not make some trades that will help us on the blueline, or for a reliable veteran goalie, I will question the Jets organization. We have two forwards (Dano and Petan) that most teams would snap up in a second, that are spending more time in the press box than on the ice. If the Jets are not going to utilize their excess offensive firepower, we should trade them for players in a position that the Jets are poor at.

We allowed some of the most shots, most goals against, and were horrible at penalty killing. We need the coaching and personnel who can properly address these problems. Interestingly, a poster on another forum posted what Hurricanes fans were saying about Maurice shortly before he was fired from Carolina. It echoes the opinions of Jets fans, only 5 years ago. Maurice is a mediocre coach, and his system is ineffective. Extending him would send a message that the Jets value loyalty over performance on the ice.

Think that poster for in another forum was sipowicz, man that guy is/was negative!

Starting the season with Maurice still at the helm would be a huge mistake but apparently that's exactly what the Jets will do, a veteran goalie who is half decent and another D man ( legitimate NHL calibre) along with an improved Connor and hopefully healthy lineup and the Jets become a legit playoff team!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2017, 10:21 PM

Heard Chevy on the radio. All the coaches will be brought back next season including the special teams coach and Huddy, the defensive coach

Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 8:03 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Think that poster for in another forum was sipowicz, man that guy is/was negative!

Starting the season with Maurice still at the helm would be a huge mistake but apparently that's exactly what the Jets will do, a veteran goalie who is half decent and another D man ( legitimate NHL calibre) along with an improved Connor and hopefully healthy lineup and the Jets become a legit playoff team!
It was not sipowicz. May have been Guerzy.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 5:56 PM

Looks like the almighty overlords, I mean TNSE, have implemented a no re-entry policy starting this year at MTSC for all events.

https://twitter.com/thrubeniuk/statu...26385577234434

I'll see if I can dig-up the email or web post from TNSE. Edit: Ah its here: https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/mts-ce...cy/c-289227788
It's like they're keeping up with the Jones. 'Because everyone else is doing it, so will we'. Ah well.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 6:08 PM

What if you need an emergency beer at the Shark Club?

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 6:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Looks like the almighty overlords, I mean TNSE, have implemented a no re-entry policy starting this year at MTSC for all events.

https://twitter.com/thrubeniuk/statu...26385577234434

I'll see if I can dig-up the email or web post from TNSE. Edit: Ah its here: https://www.nhl.com/jets/news/mts-ce...cy/c-289227788
It's like they're keeping up with the Jones. 'Because everyone else is doing it, so will we'. Ah well.
How bush league. They could have come up with a better justification that "air quality." With each passing day, I'm beginning to lean towards Chipman being the real problem with the Jets. Chevy may just be ineffective at his job, since he is being hamstrung by True North, from improving the club

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
What if you need an emergency beer at the Shark Club?
Well they do own Shark Club too... But yeah I know a lot of people run off to the Pint or the Met for a cheaper beer.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
How bush league. They could have come up with a better justification that "air quality." With each passing day, I'm beginning to lean towards Chipman being the real problem with the Jets. Chevy may just be ineffective at his job, since he is being hamstrung by True North, from improving the club
Yeah. This is quite common across all pro sports now. But they could just come out and say because of security, which the did in a secondary manner. Or just said we want you in the building spending money here instead of somewhere else. Air quality, blahhhh. Yes it probably costs them some money to run the HVAC units. But they have vestibules.. Rather large ones, but they have them.

Really I think this season is make or break for Jets management. Chevy needs to do something this year with goaltending, secondly defense. Has to, needs to. Same with the coaching staff. Get rid of everyone, except maybe Compon.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan