HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 17, 2022, 3:11 PM

Property resulting from Hays Street Bridge dispute in San Antonio has new owner

https://saheron.com/property-hays-st...ute-new-owner/

You could think of this as part of the epilogue to the Hays Street Bridge saga—that seven-year-long battle between East Side activists, the developer Mitch Meyer and the City of San Antonio over whether to build a park or an apartment complex on a vacant property beside the bridge.

The fate of that property was decided in 2019 when the City Council voted to turn it into a park, as the activists had long sought, after the city lost a legal battle that went all the way to the Texas Supreme Court.

Yet the story wasn’t quite over: Council also voted to swap the property with Meyer, who had owned the property, for another owned by the city. He then took possession of a 2-acre plot three-quarters of a mile to the south at 223 S. Cherry St., just north of the Alamodome.

In a text message two weeks ago, Meyer referred to that property as “the illegitimate child of my Hays Street Bridge project.” Now, at last, it has a father.

In late June, a shell company led by local developer Cory Stehr purchased it from Meyer, county deed records show. Stehr declined to say how much he paid for it, but it had been marketed for $3.5 million and his shell company borrowed $2.28 million from Encore Bank to make the transaction.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2022, 4:57 AM

Design options emerge for Alazán Courts redevelopment

https://sanantonioreport.org/design-...redevelopment/

A local housing authority is seeking feedback from San Antonio residents on four different design options for Alazán Courts, the city’s oldest public housing complex.

Previously slated for demolition and mixed-income redevelopment, the courts will now be renovated in order to keep them available for the community’s poorest residents.

As part of that process, Opportunity Home, formerly known as the San Antonio Housing Authority, launched a community feedback survey online Wednesday; the survey is also available at the Alazán Community Center.

Because the housing units, built in 1939, are much smaller than modern standards, Opportunity Home will need to increase square footage per unit and construct more buildings or floors.

Right now there are 501 units in the West Side complex and the average resident’s yearly income is less than $8,800. The current plan is to provide between 577 and 625 units and keep all rent income-based.

Planners estimate that the agency will have to build another 240 units and remove 74 units within the 100-year floodplain of Alazán Creek to meet that goal.

The four design options are meant to test different ways to make the project work, said Seema Kairam, associate and design lead at Able City, the local architectural and design firm hired by Opportunity Home. “We ask specific questions about individual strategies, rather than have participants vote on one option or another. The final design will most likely be a hybrid of the different strategies proposed.”

The first option would prioritize preserving all existing buildings along the streets while adding three-story buildings; the second preserves the buildings in the core of the complex; the third preserves most buildings along the street but limits all new buildings to two stories; and the fourth maximizes green space.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 3:36 PM

San Antonio companies to benefit from Port of Corpus Christi’s big infrastructure projects, CEO says

https://www.expressnews.com/business...t-17386846.php

As the Port of Corpus Christi expands its waterways to increase export capacity, CEO Sean Strawbridge said San Antonio companies stand to benefit from the big infrastructure projects.

“A lot of investment that’s been made in Corpus Christi, those companies are in San Antonio,” he said recently. “Companies like Valero, NuStar, Epic Midstream, EnCap Flatrock as an investor. So there is a strong nexus.”

Corpus Christi already is the top port for U.S. energy exports, exporting nearly 2 million barrels per day. The Port of Houston was No. 2, with about 700,000 barrels per day.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2022, 3:41 PM

Microsoft eyeing San Antonio's Far Westside for $215M data center

The new center will be over 240,000 square feet.

https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...o-17384387.php

Microsoft is planning yet another huge San Antonio data center on the Far Westside off Highway 151. The tech giant based in Washington is eyeing property at 3555 Westover Link, San Antonio, TX 78251, near SeaWorld for this new 245,000-square-foot data center, according to a recent filing with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation.

The data center will have some administrative offices and space for five colocation centers, which are essentially large server rooms for cloud data and internet hosting, according to the filing. The cost for the projected is estimated at $215.9 million and construction is expected to start in October and finish in March 2024.

As with all TDLR filings, details are subject to change. MySA reached out to Microsoft for comment.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2022, 6:50 AM

San Antonio has some of the fastest rising rents in the nation — beating out Austin

Rents could continue to rise as interest rates squeeze potential homebuyers out of the market, says one local realtor.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/san-a...ustin-29664227

Although San Antonio’s housing market is starting to cool as interest rates rise and home buyers back out of contracts, the Alamo City’s rental market is still hot, according to a recent report.

According to Redfin, the average cost of rent in San Antonio rose 21% between last month and July 2021, placing the Alamo City as the No. 10 city with the fastest rising rents in the nation.

Top 10 Cities with the Highest Rent Inflation, according to Redfin:

Cincinnati, OH – 33%
Nashville, TN – 26%
Pittsburgh, PA – 24%
New York, NY – 23%
Newark, NJ – 23%
Nassau County, NY – 23%
New Brunswick, NJ – 23%
Seattle, WA – 22%
Indianapolis, IN – 21%
San Antonio, TX – 21%

Although the median asking price for a rental was $1,476 a month in San Antonio last month, July’s report was a slight improvement from June, when the median price was $1,501 a month, according to Redfin.

San Antonio rental inflation in July beat Austin, where year over year prices only rose 19% last month. Even so, San Antonio is still more affordable than its northern neighbor, where the median rent is $2,491, according to the report.

Redfin Chief Economist Daryl Fairweather said in the report that rent hikes from landlords may be subsiding as more people struggle with the rising costs of other necessities — like groceries.

Even so, Linda Lombardo, a local San Antonio realtor, recently told the Current that she anticipates rents to continue to rise as more homebuyers get priced out of the housing market due to rising interest rates.

“It’s very hard to get in there to look at a (rental) house,” Lombardo said. “You go to and look at it, put in an application, and they already got three other applications. It’s very competitive, and rent prices are rising.”

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 6:58 PM

How interesting about Corpus Christi out producing Houston's energy exports! Admittedly I haven't been down there in a long time, the last time was spring break when I was a kid, but.... The crude oil which was spilled by tankers- boats which could be spotted miles out there- would form small round tar balls (2") by the ocean's wave action I suppose. These then would wash ashore and stain one's feet very,very badly when stepped upon.

Corpus Christi already is the top port for U.S. energy exports, exporting nearly 2 million barrels per day. The Port of Houston was No. 2, with about 700,000 barrels per day.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by forward looking; Aug 24, 2022 at 7:14 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkirbythe.... View Post
San Antonio has some of the fastest rising rents in the nation — beating out Austin

Rents could continue to rise as interest rates squeeze potential homebuyers out of the market, says one local realtor.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/san-a...ustin-29664227

Although San Antonio’s housing market is starting to cool as interest rates rise and home buyers back out of contracts, the Alamo City’s rental market is still hot, according to a recent report.

According to Redfin, the average cost of rent in San Antonio rose 21% between last month and July 2021, placing the Alamo City as the No. 10 city with the fastest rising rents in the nation.

Top 10 Cities with the Highest Rent Inflation, according to Redfin:

Cincinnati, OH – 33%
Nashville, TN – 26%
Pittsburgh, PA – 24%
New York, NY – 23%
Newark, NJ – 23%
Nassau County, NY – 23%
New Brunswick, NJ – 23%
Seattle, WA – 22%
Indianapolis, IN – 21%
San Antonio, TX – 21%

Although the median asking price for a rental was $1,476 a month in San Antonio last month, July’s report was a slight improvement from June, when the median price was $1,501 a month, according to Redfin.

San Antonio rental inflation in July beat Austin, where year over year prices only rose 19% last month. Even so, San Antonio is still more affordable than its northern neighbor, where the median rent is $2,491, according to the report.

Redfin Chief Economist Daryl Fairweather said in the report that rent hikes from landlords may be subsiding as more people struggle with the rising costs of other necessities — like groceries.

Even so, Linda Lombardo, a local San Antonio realtor, recently told the Current that she anticipates rents to continue to rise as more homebuyers get priced out of the housing market due to rising interest rates.

“It’s very hard to get in there to look at a (rental) house,” Lombardo said. “You go to and look at it, put in an application, and they already got three other applications. It’s very competitive, and rent prices are rising.”
Any reason to poop on my city seems newsworthy on this site. Even though the article States later on that austin is about a hundred times more expensive for renting

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verbl1 View Post
Any reason to poop on my city seems newsworthy on this site. Even though the article States later on that austin is about a hundred times more expensive for renting
Totally agree, Verbl1!!!! Good for you!!! And let he haters hate!!!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2022, 10:33 PM

Bill Miller's doesn't want to pay they're share of their taxes.

Bill Miller breaks ground on new $55M Westside San Antonio headquarters

https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/ar...-Editors-Picks

After outgrowing its longtime downtown base, San Antonio favorite Bill Miller Bar-B-Q has begun to build out its new Westside headquarters, according to a report from the Express-News. The new headquarters will be a larger facility and enable the local chain to double its reach in store count. In order to cushion the blow of the project's $55 million price tag, the company is seeking a tax break from Bexar County.

The project will allow the business to grow its count from 80 to about 150 restaurants, Bill Miller Bar-B-Q CEO and President Jim Guy Egbert told the Express-News. It is the largest investment the company has made to date, he added.

The new Bill Miller Bar-B-Q facility is several years in the making. It will have a commissary, dry goods warehouse, bakery, offices, and house equipment. The build-out is a two-part operation, phase one has just begun, which includes developing the new warehouse, truck docking space and servicing equipment. This construction period at the new building at 5330 Texas 151 is estimated to take 15 to 17 months.

Phase two is expected to have a similar timeline, however costs are currently unclear.

On Tuesday, August 23, county commissioners approved staff negotiations for a 10-year, 75% abatement on property taxes worth an estimated $1.1 million. Commissioners will evaluate the final approval at a later date.

The new facility began taking shape in 2018, when company executives submitted the application to the county.

In May 2021, San Antonio City Council decided to sell a 57-acre property at Texas 151 and Old Highway 90 to a Bill Miller Bar-B-Q affiliate for $3.1 million. Bill Miller Bar-B-Q has been stationed at its current downtown headquarters at 430 S. Santa Rosa Ave., San Antonio, TX 78207, since 1971.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Any reason to poop on my city seems newsworthy on this site.
It's not just your city, it's our city too, and we all think San Antonio is a great city...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2022, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
It's not just your city, it's our city too, and we all think San Antonio is a great city...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 1:49 AM

From casitas to communication: 193 development rule changes head to City Council

https://sanantonioreport.org/san-ant...lopment-rules/

Who should be notified when a zoning or other development change is proposed for a San Antonio neighborhood?

That question was at the heart of one of 193 proposed amendments to the city’s unified development code that have been wending their way through various boards and commissions for the past year, and were heard for the first time Thursday by a City Council committee.

The full council will vote in October on the raft of rule changes for land and property development, which will impact how the city grows.

One of those will certainly be the amendment to make accessory dwelling units (ADUs) easier for homeowners to build on their property, which also drew many community members to Thursday’s meeting.

Developed by a subcommittee of the city’s Housing Commission and city staff, the amendment includes eliminating the rule that an ADU’s utilities must be connected to the primary structure, removing occupancy and bedroom limitations as well as loosening design requirements while allowing for larger units. They would be limited to backyards, and be capped at two stories. Only ADUs with floor areas larger than 800 square feet would be required to provide parking.

Changes to ADU policies were identified as a policy priority to promote affordable housing in the city’s 2018 housing policy framework.

The Tier 1 Neighborhood Coalition is opposed to the changes. Its leaders cite density, fire safety and process concerns — chief among them that the changes could benefit investors who purchase and rent out homes and ADUs.

“We don’t want them to propagate into investor duplexes,” said Bianca Maldonado, a member of the Tier 1 steering committee and resident of the Monticello Park neighborhood.

Currently, only homes occupied by property owners can have an ADU. While there is not a proposal to change that, the city does not enforce that rule, city officials have said.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2022, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post

I understand that ( everyone understands that, I used that language to convey my disdain for crap like this ).

Old Posted Aug 27, 2022, 6:23 AM

Quote:
I understand that ( everyone understands that, I used that language to convey my disdain for crap like this ).
Quite frankly, SA has a history of crapping on itself. We think small. We have a billionaire, (whether you like him or not), willing to put up his own money on an underground thoroughfare from the airport to DT, and instead of listening and weighing it's merits, most on this forum just shut it down outright. Not a lot of out of the box thinking around here, and in SA in general. (and yeah, I'd have to see environmental studies, but I won't just condemn the idea out of hand. It would be a unique addition to a unique city).

I came to this site as skyscraper enthusiast, only to be trolled by some that I shouldn't want more skyscrapers in the city I love. Like it or not, skylines define a city. You know LA's skyline when you see it. You know Dallas by it's skyline. Ours is diminutive. I'd like to see taller buildings in the DT core in the city I love and call home.

But there are those that have the gall to call out anyone that wishes SA had more height in the DT area, on a SKYSCRAPER page.

So, yeah, the small minds rule the roost here.

Sorry if this was a bit off topic, but no, not sorry.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless One View Post
Quite frankly, SA has a history of crapping on itself. We think small. We have a billionaire, (whether you like him or not), willing to put up his own money on an underground thoroughfare from the airport to DT, and instead of listening and weighing it's merits, most on this forum just shut it down outright. Not a lot of out of the box thinking around here, and in SA in general. (and yeah, I'd have to see environmental studies, but I won't just condemn the idea out of hand. It would be a unique addition to a unique city).

I came to this site as skyscraper enthusiast, only to be trolled by some that I shouldn't want more skyscrapers in the city I love. Like it or not, skylines define a city. You know LA's skyline when you see it. You know Dallas by it's skyline. Ours is diminutive. I'd like to see taller buildings in the DT core in the city I love and call home.

But there are those that have the gall to call out anyone that wishes SA had more height in the DT area, on a SKYSCRAPER page.

Don't be sorry. You have a point!

Old Posted Aug 29, 2022, 3:37 PM

An investor buying spree, not a housing shortage, drove San Antonio's home price surge

Investors purchased 46% of homes in Bexar County in 2021, according to a report by the National Realtors Association.

https://www.sacurrent.com/news/an-in...surge-29680639

Between the onset of the pandemic in March 2020 and this July, the price of a home in San Antonio has more than doubled, according to local data.

Even so, home buyers in the Alamo City continued buying. Some were told the value of the homes they dropped big money on would always go up. Some were told a housing shortage would keep their investment's value afloat.

Indeed, one May 2021 report from mortgage company Freddie Mac estimated a shortage of more than 3 million homes across the country.

However, new data from the U.S Census Bureau and a recent report from an online homebuilder's platform suggest there is no shortage. Instead, according to bureau data, the ratio of U.S. residents to homes has been steady since the 1980s.

What's more, the data suggests that instead of a structural shortage of homes, the previously red-hot market was instead the result of investor demand, fueled by a steady supply of cheap borrowing costs and low interest rates.

With active home listings in San Antonio up already 68% since last year, a glut of backordered new homes and economists speculating that the Federal Reserve will again raise interest rates this fall, signs suggest the skyrocketing of home values here may be over.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 4:24 PM

Before crapping all over San Antonio,

Whether or not a train tunnel would upset the recharging process of the Edwards Aquifer is not an- environmental study. This water recharge is an underground process. An analysis that I am not so sure of coming to fruition successfully, at all. Perhaps. It is as whimsical an idea as can be come up with by Musk for our area. Ever think of this?
I would be completely behind this crack ball idea if it were not for the possible danger to the water supply as the result of a billionaires newest
great idea. Maybe Musk is crapping all over himself instead.
I do not think small. I have seen much larger ideas than this brought to their completion.
Maybe some of the prodigious amount of rock dust, which would be a by product of drilling through solid rock, would work its way into the aquifer.
Perhaps, going even further into supposition, localized flooding might occur as a result of obstructing an undetected rock fissure with a miniature train tunnel. These are some of the merits I am thinking of.[QUOTE=Restless One;9713811]Quite frankly, SA has a history of crapping on itself. We think small. We have a billionaire, (whether you like him or not), willing to put up his own money on an underground thoroughfare from the airport to DT, and instead of listening and weighing it's merits, most on this forum just shut it down outright.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 6:09 PM

Quote:

I agree with you 100%

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 10:03 PM

[QUOTE=forward looking;9716506]Whether or not a train tunnel would upset the recharging process of the Edwards Aquifer is not an- environmental study. This water recharge is an underground process. An analysis that I am not so sure of coming to fruition successfully, at all. Perhaps. It is as whimsical an idea as can be come up with by Musk for our area. Ever think of this?
I would be completely behind this crack ball idea if it were not for the possible danger to the water supply as the result of a billionaires newest
great idea. Maybe Musk is crapping all over himself instead.
I do not think small. I have seen much larger ideas than this brought to their completion.
Maybe some of the prodigious amount of rock dust, which would be a by product of drilling through solid rock, would work its way into the aquifer.
Perhaps, going even further into supposition, localized flooding might occur as a result of obstructing an undetected rock fissure with a miniature train tunnel. These are some of the merits I am thinking of.
Quote:
Quite frankly, SA has a history of crapping on itself. We think small. We have a billionaire, (whether you like him or not), willing to put up his own money on an underground thoroughfare from the airport to DT, and instead of listening and weighing it's merits, most on this forum just shut it down outright.
Yeah, I think I'd take and environmental study over a commenters suppositions, perhaps', and maybes. I'm funny that way.

My comment goes to more than just the Musk Tunnel. San Antonio has been shortsighted for decades.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2022, 11:03 PM

Yes,and,

Dams obstructing river flows were a wonderful idea the environmentalist said. Well these were not a smart idea and instead, was a not smart thing to do.
Lots and lots of people were also, funny that way , because they believed the expert over nature itself. It depends on your perspective.
These tunnels may not harm anything, but somehow I doubt it. Time will tell. These even could be could be beneficial and help the fresh water supply but I doubt that a hydraulic system,structure, that took nature millions of years to create could be aided by an obstruction. An intrusion. Detritus, I imagine.
Leave it alone. The kid might have to build a surplus tunnel either side to merely aid aquifer recharge.
An above ground rail is the way to go. Right down Broadway.
This is not to say that flood control dams are not useful here in south Texas.
I think it is always useful to consider that these dams will be breached. Looking forward.[QUOTE=Restless One;9716943][QUOTE=

Yeah, I think I'd take and environmental study over a commenters suppositions, perhaps', and maybes. I'm funny that way.

My comment goes to more than just the Musk Tunnel. San Antonio has been shortsighted for decades.[/QUOTE]

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio