HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 6:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUPope View Post
Does anyone have any idea what the plans are for the NW corner of McClintock and Broadway? Looks like tear down has started on the old boat store building. Hopefully it isn't more apartments, already have plenty of those on the other side of McClintock along with the ones going up off of Dorsey.
Is it the NE corner? Looks like that's slated for medical office space for a Mountain Park Health Center.

No. 61 on this list: https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=38886

Old Posted Sep 12, 2016, 8:45 PM

Yes, NE corner.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 8:33 PM

At one point they were suppose to be apartments on that corner...I believe called Aura, yet the developer withdrew the application from planning.

I went by Cholla yesterday, they are actively tearing it down. I wonder what will go in its place?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
Is it the NE corner? Looks like that's slated for medical office space for a Mountain Park Health Center.

No. 61 on this list: https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=38886
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...cility-in.html

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 6:50 PM

Update on retail leasing in Marina Heights:

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...retail-tenants

Quote:
Ryan Companies and Sunbelt Holdings, co-developers of Marina Heights, have announced new retail, public open space and art amenities at the 20-acre development on Tempe Town Lake...

Matt’s Big Breakfast, a well-known local restaurant of Food Network fame, will open in late fall, following the opening of Starbuck’s Coffee and Café 450, a cafeteria-concept operated by Compass, a food service company...All are open to the public.

Joining the retail tenants in early 2017 will be two new healthcare and wellness amenities, also open to the public. HonorHealth will feature a 5,700-square-foot medical clinic with radiology capabilities as well as primary care facilities. Mountainside Fitness, the largest locally owned health club chain in Arizona, will locate in a two-story, 17,000-square-foot space with lake views. One 7,000-square-foot retail building overlooking Tempe Town Lake is still available for lease for one or two restaurant users.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2016, 11:17 PM

Nice looking small, 4-unit infill project proposed for Southern/McClintock:

http://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=44757

I don't really understand them. They are for sale condos. But they are 4-bedrooms, each with 4-car garages and some kind of lift system? With elevators? So maybe marketed towards investors to be rented to students?

Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 1:16 AM

Changes for $80m Tempe Mixed-Use

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 9:34 AM

Quote:
Update on retail leasing in Marina Heights:

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...retail-tenants
Cool. For all of the challenges that the landscape provided the design team, I think they are the only ones who have done the lake justice with how their buildings address both Rio and the lake, and were built with the idea that Rio will one day have a streetcar along it and be ped-heavy. The mix of retail is smart and similar to CityScape in that it fills both public and tenant needs.

Too bad the inner streets don't connect through to HFL, but regardless, their original retail plan should be revived as that corner has become such a disappointment overall. There's no doubt that either a nice restaurant or a large retailer wouldn't do well at the intersection in HFIII, and nice clubs/bars along the lake would do very well.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Cool. For all of the challenges that the landscape provided the design team, I think they are the only ones who have done the lake justice with how their buildings address both Rio and the lake, and were built with the idea that Rio will one day have a streetcar along it and be ped-heavy. The mix of retail is smart and similar to CityScape in that it fills both public and tenant needs.

Too bad the inner streets don't connect through to HFL, but regardless, their original retail plan should be revived as that corner has become such a disappointment overall. There's no doubt that either a nice restaurant or a large retailer wouldn't do well at the intersection in HFIII, and nice clubs/bars along the lake would do very well.
Mostly agree. I don't know that HFL needs to connect to MH internally. The lakeside path with Salt nearing completion is shaping up nice and I think will be an enjoyable connection.

HFL is using that last big retail pad as a starting ground for the parking garage expansion now, but I really hope that they do turn their focus on building the retail space when that's done. I wonder whether it's a bit of a chicken and egg thing, where they aren't finishing the retail building because the inward facing retail spaces on the garage aren't leased. But it seems like those would be easier to lease if they had, like you said, a strong restaurant or retail presence on the corner.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2016, 5:02 PM

Thumbs up

City Council approved Crescent Rio and Eastline Village. Both seem like they have a reasonable chance to rise.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2016, 7:39 PM

So I was looking at hotels and there is a "Westin Tempe opening July 2018" -to be announced.

Anyone have a clue about this? Is mill and Rio going to be a Westin instead of a kimoton? Is this some other proposal that hasn't gone public

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
So I was looking at hotels and there is a "Westin Tempe opening July 2018" -to be announced.

Anyone have a clue about this? Is mill and Rio going to be a Westin instead of a kimoton? Is this some other proposal that hasn't gone public
Couple of thoughts...

You may indeed be correct, perhaps it is replacing the Kimpton. I can tell you in 2007 there was a Westin proposed as part of the University Square Development, which I believe is where the "7th St Mixed Use" is proposed. I'd be happy if that were the case, but that project seems dead as hell. It's also possible this could be part of the Athletic District Development.

Either way, terrible to see all the stalled projects in Tempe between 100 Mill, 7th St Mixed Use, Pier 202, Hayden Flour Mill, and the Whole Foods project. I really thought State Farm would be able to jumpstart some of these.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post

Nice sleuthing. I don't know if it's the same one you saw, but this site gives the address as 701 S. Mill for the forthcoming hotel, which is the old Long Wongs site.

Last edited by muertecaza; Sep 26, 2016 at 3:39 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Nice sleuthing. I don't know if it's the same one you saw, but this site gives the address as 701 S. Mill fit the forthcoming hotel, which is the old Long Wongs site.
Whoaaa... finally the vacant lot next to Jack in the Box??? I don't believe it!!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Whoaaa... finally the vacant lot next to Jack in the Box??? I don't believe it!!
And an actual Westin brand as well, that is quite a win for Mill, obviously it is morphing form a "college zone" to a more well rounded downtown.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 2:16 AM

Interesting news

I just got a public hearing notice to increase the US Airways garage 2 more stories for a total of 6. This will raise the building height from 50 to 60. This will add 299 parking spots.

Perhaps making the building more attractive for a future tenant?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 3:38 PM

Hayden Ferry

I saw a smaller crane next to Hayden Ferry III this morning. Perhaps that building next door is starting

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
I saw a smaller crane next to Hayden Ferry III this morning. Perhaps that building next door is starting
Which building is this? Was it just little retail building that was planned?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
Unfortunately, no. They're just adding a floor to the parking garage.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 3:55 AM

Crescent Rio approved for development

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest