HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Sep 22, 2007, 7:12 PM

Odd that none of the churches in the stained glass panels have Russian Orthodox crosses...what's that about?

Old Posted Sep 24, 2007, 10:48 PM
Dryer lint inspector

that was the first thing i noticed too; new modern station and old cars. at least they look like they are in great shape.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 3:56 AM

ok nice pics

is that one bench where girls kept sitting down or are they different benches? haha

Old Posted Sep 25, 2007, 4:59 AM
maverick

you can tell by the mosaics

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Sep 26, 2007, 12:22 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Odd that none of the churches in the stained glass panels have Russian Orthodox crosses...what's that about?
you noticed it correctly, no crosses on churches; the question is really to Zurab Tsereteli, the author of the mosaics

some unhappy voices have been heard in Russia about it, mostly from people who like to make noise on any occasion to remind everybody of their existance

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Oct 8, 2007, 6:55 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
Now if only Moscow looked that good above ground.
PA Pride, I do not share your sentiment. For a while I thought I would pass on this and not reply ... but then I thought - why not? This is how Moscow looks above the ground at the exact location of the station, pics by proger (more here)

And if you tell me that not all Moscow looks like this... well within historical center it actually does, and even if you are not fan of commiblocks... I can tell you one thing - there is no abandoned property in the city anywhere (I am talking about megapolice comparable in size to NYC, London and Paris), no bad neighbourhoods, no bad schools.

The worst of commiblocks are being knocked down and replaced like this

a thread on this by Worg is here

Other than that... I agree - it is not all shiny marble outside.

Last edited by anm; Oct 9, 2007 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2007, 3:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
PA Pride, I do not share your sentiment. For a while I thought I would pass on this and not reply ... but then I thought - why not? This is how Moscow looks above the ground at the exact location of the station, pics by proger (more here)

And if you tell me that not all Moscow looks like this... well within historical center it actually does, and even if you are not fan of commiblocks... I can tell you one thing - there is no abandoned property in the city anywhere (I am talking about megapolice comparable in size to NYC, London and Paris), no bad neighbourhoods, no bad schools.

The worst of commiblocks are being knocked down and replaced like this

a thread on this by Worg is here

Other than that... I agree - it is not all shiny marble outside.
moscow definitely has less variation between "good" and "bad" neighborhoods, thanks to soviet housing allocation, which spread people around such that everywhere was pretty much the same. that said, kutuzovskiy prospekt and rublyevskoye shosse (in the west) have always been prestigious areas to live, and from what i understand, the southeast has always been considered the worst area - due, i'm told, to wind patterns that blow factory smoke nw-se. this is probably less of a problem these days, given that the mayor has decreed that all heavy industry has to leave the central city, but i wouldn't be surprised if the stigma remains and is reinforced by the current real estate market.

and while there might not be truly bad neighborhoods, most places i went late at night there seemed to be a remarkably large number of young drunken men, roaming around looking for trouble. veshnyakovskaya ulitsa (SE), particularly.

when i first visited moscow, in 1993, it indeed looked pretty bad. i lived for a while in chertanovo (south) and it looked quite dystopian (which was ultra cool as far as i was concerned). however, when i visited again this spring, it's just about unrecognizably better. there are still quality of life issues - the air is terribly polluted, drivers are super-agressive and pedestrians are given virtually no consideration. so in some ways things have improved greatly, but other things seemed to have grown a bit worse.

in the late 90's i lived outside of moscow, in the odintsovo region. it was truly a disaster. heating and hot water - in the winter - were little more than a rumor, and as late as 1997, just to call moscow, i had to place an order with the operator, who would call back with the connection in 20 minutes or so. this spring i visited and things seem to be far better even out there. streets are more or less paved, *everyone* seems to have a car and mobile phone, etc.

so, in conclusion, i'd say that moscow and central russia have improved greatly, though there's still room for improvement.

but yes, the center of the city is looking pretty great.

as long as you avoid the garden ring.

on the other hand, who am i to criticize? consider these mere opinions.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2007, 4:14 AM
maverick

bvpcvm, you captured it pretty objectively. You probably understand that late 80s - early 90s was was the time of total disaster not only in Moscow but in Russia as a whole. Infrastructure was decaying, people robbed of savings by up to 20% a month inflation, obvious signs of poverty, etc. It did not help the image of Moscow that with the end of communism, when foreign visitors started coming more often, they were presented with the not so typical face of the city that had been reasonably well maintained except during Mongol/Napoleon invasions and Civil war of 1918-1922.

I grew up in south-east of Moscow, my parents got apartment there when I was about 3 years old. I agree that is one of the least aesthetically appealing districts. Apart from restored Kuzminki and Kuskovo parks - it is commiblock upon commiblock. Yet, it is absolutely OK place to live - public transit works and connects you within 30-60 mins to almost any other point in the city, all of the infrastructure is in place, an average school is something most cities around the world would dream about. Of course some schools are better than others, but there are no bad schools. If you know anything about school system in the US, you know what I mean.

An regarding room for improvement - yes, Moscow has tremendous room for improvement in many departments, but not in the same sense as, say Detroit, but simply because perfection is a moving target.

Last edited by anm; Jan 1, 2008 at 7:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2007, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
you can tell by the mosaics
yah its just funny that only women seem to get them

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 12:07 AM
maverick

Another station, Strogino, is near completion - to be opened this December.
Perhaps mods could rename this thread to "Moscow metro - new stations"?

Photo by Dmitry Aksenov/Metroworld

Last edited by anm; Nov 6, 2007 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2007, 7:06 AM
BANNED

Kick ass station.

Good to see Mother Russia doing great things.

In the early pics I swear I could pick out people that looked like my relatives.

Long live Russia.

Keep the oil flowing.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2007, 1:28 AM
maverick

"Sretenskij Bulvar" - to be opened December 8th

photo by russos from Live Journal

21 pics at the above link

not clear to that it will be finished by Dec 8... we will see what we shall see

Old Posted Nov 29, 2007, 5:59 AM
You never sausage a place

wow are they going to finish Sretenskiy by Dec 8th? That's a lot of work to do in a month. (but they can do it. It takes 70+ years to build a subway line in Manhattan - not so in Moscow).

And any pictures of Slavyanskiy Blvd metro station construction?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2007, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
btw, the little bald guy in the blue suit is the mayor of moscow, yuriy luzhkov.
And this man in uniform on the left is the head of Moscow metro Dmitriy Gaev:

Quote:
anm, any idea why this one opened before sretenskiy bul'var?
There were some problems with passages to the other stations and later there was escalators delivery delay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley Person View Post
The paintings in the cars is an interesting concept... is that just a demonstration?
It's a project by the school of the watercolor painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
Odd that none of the churches in the stained glass panels have Russian Orthodox crosses..
These are mosaics, not paintings. It's impossible to show such slim and small details there.

There are croses there but it's hard to see them — picture is too small:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildCTPlace View Post
wow are they going to finish Sretenskiy by Dec 8th?
No, they have moved the date to the Dec 29th.

Quote:
And any pictures of Slavyanskiy Blvd metro station construction?
Many of them: http://zzzemelya.livejournal.com/17721.html#cutid1

Old Posted Dec 8, 2007, 1:43 AM
loafing in lotusland

Wow. The Russians know how to make a station beautiful.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 4:46 AM
maverick

"Sretenskij Bulvar" - now schedueled for December 30th

photo by russos from Live Journal

more pics at the above link

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 5:35 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

wow...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 6:53 AM
You never sausage a place

By the way, the theme of the station is "walking along the Boulevard Ring", which is a series of connected boulevards in central Moscow. The livejournal blogger had earlier complained the station looked too "clinical." Indeed, the aluminum siding on the archways (or whatever that is) looks kind of cheap. There ought to be colored marble or granite there, I think.

I don't really like these wall signs. Somehow it just doesn't look Moscow.

So I'd have to say I like Trubnaya much more than Sretensky, though Sretensky isn't that bad. But Moscow needs to come up with nicer more innovative designs like St Petersburg did (Komendantskiy Pr., Krestovskiy Os.)

And from what I've seen of Slavyansky Bulvar, the ceiling looks like a cheap knock-off of Krasnogvardeyskaya. They need to get more creative at metrostroy!

Old Posted Dec 21, 2007, 7:54 AM

ofiget'

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 1:38 AM
maverick

Sretenskij Bulvar has been opened Dec 29

http://news.ntv.ru/123523/video/

http://www.vesti.ru/videos?vid=117267

http://beta.tvc.ru/showAnyFile.aspx?...7-bf7f058a5cb1

The pics by russos were taken the day before opening

more pics here

Strogino, shown in videos, will be opened Jan 7.

Kuntsevskaja has been renovated, hope to see pics later.

Last edited by anm; Dec 30, 2007 at 1:50 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation