HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 5:54 PM
cities|transit|croissants

I also have no idea who that person is.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Hmph, the way that you "answered" his question was very Trumpian.

Let's recap:
Who is she?
Isn't social media amazing? Just outstanding!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
I also have no idea who that person is.
LOLOLOLOLOL - Beats the shit out of me who she is.

Still, I thought it was a nice video.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 12:38 AM

Traveling Jules has a good editor.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:35 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

So wheres the Tsunami of photos we were promised...?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
So wheres the Tsunami of photos we were promised...?
Check the last couple pages of the Main Thread starting HERE.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:22 AM

Bus-on-shoulder operations have started on the Flatiron Flyer.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Construction start date set for RTD's southeast rail line to Lone Tree

The Regional Transportation District southeast FasTracks rail project will break ground in May.

The project, which will extend the line another 2.3 miles past the Lincoln station to the Ridgegate community of LoneTree, received $92 million in federal funding as part of President Barack Obama's 2016 fiscal budget.

The full southeast project will cost $233.1 million, with the remainder of the cost being covered by local funds, RTD said.

RTD will use the funds for the initial payment to Atlanta-based Balfour Beatty Infrastructure Inc., the contractor that will build the project.

The City of Lone Tree, Douglas County, Coventry Development and the Southeast Public Improvement District contributed $25 million in cash and an estimated $3 million in land to the project.

http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...southeast.html

No reference of completion date in the article, but doing some further digging, it sounds like 2019.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngiNerd View Post
http://www.bizjournals.com/denver/bl...southeast.html

No reference of completion date in the article, but doing some further digging, it sounds like 2019.
Courtesy of Overclock
Also Per RTD/Fastracks
Quote:
"FTA is proud to partner with Denver to support the Southeast Rail Extension," said FTA Acting Administrator Carolyn Flowers. "By expanding light rail south of the city, we are helping to create efficient, new access to Denver and all that the city has to offer, improving connections for residents along the I-25 corridor who are traveling to jobs, school, medical care and other opportunities in downtown Denver and throughout the metropolitan area."
Quote:
Options galore

When the project is completed in 2019, residents will have the option to travel from the RidgeGate Station on the E Line to Union Station, the F Line to 18th•California, and the new R Line through Aurora to Peoria Station and connect to the University of Colorado A Line commuter train to Denver International Airport or to Union Station in downtown Denver.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:17 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I counted yesterday, 19 stations to get from Lone Tree to the transfer point at Peoria. *19.* That's 20-30 minutes just in dwell time. Add in Aurora's fanciful little trolley-jog into suburbia, and you could probably just as well walk to the airport. NOBODY who isn't transit dependent is going to do that. Not when you can drive to 40th and Pena and park for $2 per day.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I counted yesterday, 19 stations to get from Lone Tree to the transfer point at Peoria. *19.* That's 20-30 minutes just in dwell time. Add in Aurora's fanciful little trolley-jog into suburbia, and you could probably just as well walk to the airport. NOBODY who isn't transit dependent is going to do that. Not when you can drive to 40th and Pena and park for $2 per day.
Hmm, your math and my math are slightly different. I took my count from HERE which shows 9 stops on the "R" specific Aurora/I-225 Line. There's an additional 7 stops to Sky Ridge, 8 to Lone Tree and 9 to RidgeGate or a total of 16, 17 and 18. I assume that the place where you START is not your first stop. Seems logical.

Just curious, on your route to Pena and 40th are you taking E-470 or I-225? Either way for mid-day trips that does seem like the easier, quicker trip. During heavy/rush hour traffic it sounds like a headache.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:53 PM

Here's hoping that FasTracks 2.0 will include plans for express lines and the inevitable double-tracking of single track segments. Still, in terms of priority, a Colfax streetcar, Broadway streetcar, DT-CC circulator, Federal BRT, Colorado Blvd. BRT all come before that, in my opinion.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 4:43 PM

New/expanded bike lanes in central Denver, hopefully this hasn't been discussed yet: http://www.9news.com/traffic/brand-n...nver/169673597

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 4:59 PM

Ride the train to the airport and back - enjoyed the experience. Noticed that at each traffic stop, there is a person manning the gate to oversee the intersection. How long will that continue?

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 5:41 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post
Ride the train to the airport and back - enjoyed the experience. Noticed that at each traffic stop, there is a person manning the gate to oversee the intersection. How long will that continue?
Not entirely sure, but probably a month, especially before school lets out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcp View Post
Can't wait to ride this train...couple weeks.

Did you notice if the tricky parts (overpasses) are double tracked ?
Bridge over Pena is.

Bridge over I-70 isn't.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 5:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dirt View Post
Here's hoping that FasTracks 2.0 will include plans for express lines and the inevitable double-tracking of single track segments. Still, in terms of priority, a Colfax streetcar, Broadway streetcar, DT-CC circulator, Federal BRT, Colorado Blvd. BRT all come before that, in my opinion.
A lot of moving parts.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing that for awhile RTD will struggle to justify the operating costs for some of the new lines. Wouldn't be surprised if they cut back service frequency beyond the Federal Center on the W LIne, for example. Yet, RTD has to remain committed to making the Fastracks system viable even if it takes a decade (or longer) for ridership to increase significantly.

Beyond the current plans for BRT along Colfax, Denver may have to go it alone when it comes to funding additional transit.

If you're thinking of Broadway south of Colfax my guess is that BRT will have to suffice.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:06 PM

If they didn't pick anything better than BRT for Colfax, I doubt they will anywhere. At least not until decades go by and something fundamental about the situation changes.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 7:21 PM

Quote:
If they didn't pick anything better than BRT for Colfax, I doubt they will anywhere. At least not until decades go by and something fundamental about the situation changes.
Or, in a strong mayor form of city government like Denver's, we can elect a pro-transit mayor who will advocate for intra-city transit instead of an aerotropolis.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:10 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
It would depend on what the focus is.

From a purely transportation lens, BRT would be hard to beat for most corridors. But, if the lens was weighted more towards economic development or placemaking, then other technologies could be viable. I don't think fixed-rail is completely out of the question in certain contexts.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 8:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPVLIVE View Post
Or, in a strong mayor form of city government like Denver's, we can elect a pro-transit mayor who will advocate for intra-city transit instead of an aerotropolis.
You'll have to refresh my memory when Hancock was anything but a solid supporter for transit?

Other than conceptually, I'm also unaware of specific funding for "aerotropolis" which is kinda too bad bcuz it will be a natural evolution and benefit for the city and potentially a significant tax generator.

The big commitment that was made was for the National Western Center which the Mayor threw his support behind and was btw, approved by the taxpayers. It includes significant but costly infrastructure upgrades.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
You'll have to refresh my memory when Hancock was anything but a solid supporter for transit?

Other than conceptually, I'm also unaware of specific funding for "aerotropolis" which is kinda too bad bcuz it will be a natural evolution and benefit for the city and potentially a significant tax generator.

The big commitment that was made was for the National Western Center which the Mayor threw his support behind and was btw, approved by the taxpayers. It includes significant but costly infrastructure upgrades.
As far as I can tell no one is advocating for intra-city transit in Denver. Mayor Hancock is in a unique position with enormous influence and he has simply passed to RTD. RTD is not the entity that is going to bring transit that is Denver specific. Look at their ridiculous Colfax study which resulted in a BRT light like 'solution' (I am reluctant to even use BRT to describe that half-a$$ed attempt) and you can see that they have no dog in this fight. If it costs money or is slightly complicated they essentially tap out. The creation of a Department of Transportation would be a start.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West