HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 2:06 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
Assiniboine Park’s new Conservatory is getting international help.

Winnipeg’s Smith Carter and Toronto’s KPMB Architects will work with Stuttgart, Germany and Cinncinatti-based firms to design the $30-50 million building

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2012/12/1...r-its-makeover
That's great. The Conservatory has always been a great place to visit in winter, just a little on the small side. It will be wonderful to have a better one.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 3:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
That's great. The Conservatory has always been a great place to visit in winter, just a little on the small side. It will be wonderful to have a better one.

And what happens to the old one? tear it down with all its amazing old tree's? Some of those tress are over 75 years old now. I thought they were going to just do like they did before and build over it. Then enlarge after they were done. Putting way out by the other gardens will just make parking a mess.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 4:03 AM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
And what happens to the old one? tear it down with all its amazing old tree's? Some of those tress are over 75 years old now. I thought they were going to just do like they did before and build over it. Then enlarge after they were done. Putting way out by the other gardens will just make parking a mess.
I don't know. I was wondering that too. Maybe starting over would enable the conservatory to be more energy efficient etc.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2012, 8:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
I don't know. I was wondering that too. Maybe starting over would enable the conservatory to be more energy efficient etc.
Yes I am sure it would be, and larger, but it is basing all the parks attractions in one area, you have the duck pond area, the english gardens, the zoo and even can throw in the Pavilion all in a stones throw, and the rest of the part will be deserted, may as well fence it off and let Bison roam lol.

If they Keep the old one, and just fix it up a tad so weddings and the such can still take place their, ( I got married in it ) that would at least keep it viable, and be a smaller place for seniors etc, or just people that do not feel like the hassle of a huge dome or whatever they make. As right now it is very handy as it has its own parking lot.

Second issue, is you will never get the wonderful tree's like we have in the old one. We can get maybe 10 to 15 foot ones, but it will be like a fledgling forest inside for at least my lifetime. Maybe my kids will enjoy it and by then they will renovate again lol.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2013, 4:49 PM

Journey to Churchill has a new resident coming soon:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...-winnipeg.html

CBC News
Posted: Jan 17, 2013 10:34 AM CST
Last Updated: Jan 17, 2013 10:33 AM CST

Hudson, a 15-month-old polar bear from the Toronto Zoo, is making to move in next couple of weeks but he needs to adapt to his new home.

I'm really excited to see how the JTC exhibit (coupled with the other park and zoo upgrades) turns out. I just visited the Vancouver Aquarium this past christmas break, and took my 17-month old son, and I think JTC is going to be Winnipeg's (near) equivalent, but with the Arctic twist of course. JTC will be a major attraction for families, school field trips, as well as visitors to the city. I am really looking forward to taking my son there, along with any family and friends that may come to town after it opens.

My group at the University, now an International Arctic research group, is now partnered with the zoo and is helping develop educational materials for their exhibits. They've modelled their sea ice tanks (for the bears and seals) after our sea ice research facility at the University, and can effectively grow their own sea ice and create a much better habitat than the previous polar bear enclosure.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2013, 8:22 PM

From twitter (http://twitter.com/assiniboinepark/s...06773982355456)

Quote:
Originally Posted by @assiniboinepark
Aerial view of the duck pond @assiniboinepark.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 1:56 PM

Zoo walks out city's door with $3.1 million for new gate

IT won't be long before zoo-goers on their way to see Hudson the polar bear will enter the Assiniboine Park Zoo through a new main gate.

City council on Wednesday approved giving the Assiniboine Park Conservancy a $3.1-million grant to help it replace the zoo's main gate on Roblin Boulevard.

11,000-sq.-ft. project will cost a total of $5.3 million.

By: Staff Writer Posted: 1:00 AM WFP
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...204810311.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 5:49 PM

[IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/648*365/4931093.jpg[/IMG]

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags_in_the_peg View Post
[IMG]http://media.winnipegfreepress.com/images/648*365/4931093.jpg[/IMG]

Hey Wags I just figured you were trying to add a render of the proposed entrance to the Zoo?
I added it below.

Image Link:Source: Wpg.free Press.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...204810311.html

Old Posted Apr 26, 2013, 6:27 PM
ARTchitecture

Gorgeous!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 7:30 PM

Penguins waddle to Winnipeg

Zoo to host sociable African birds at temporary exhibit

If the new polar bear Hudson is not enough to attract visitors to the Assiniboine Park Zoo, penguins might add to the draw.

The zoo will host penguins for the first time, it announced Friday. Visitors will be able to see a group of four African black-footed penguins on a temporary basis this spring and summer, with an anticipated opening goal of early May.

The opportunity to get the penguins came at a zoo conference in Phoenix, said Tim Sinclair-Smith, director of zoological operations at Assiniboine Park Zoo.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...194455341.html

Penguins make me happy, "Happy Feet?". Nevermind, Polar bears, penguins...good addition to our zoo and yearly climate.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 5:27 AM
Celebrating 50 Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
The zoo will host penguins for the first time, it announced Friday. Visitors will be able to see a group of four African black-footed penguins on a temporary basis this spring and summer, with an anticipated opening goal of early May.
It's a shame that there won't be any penguins coming to enjoy the Winnipeg winter. Summer only. Still cool.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Solomon View Post
It's a shame that there won't be any penguins coming to enjoy the Winnipeg winter. Summer only. Still cool.
It is too bad they're not here for too long, but it's something I would have liked to see with the new Assiniboine Park Zoo Expansion: Journey to Churchill Exhibit , But I guess South African Penguins are still fascinating, nothing from the Antartic, (ie: Emperor), but still love em.

Curious what they will house in the Penguin Cove , after they depart?

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
It is too bad they're not here for too long, but it's something I would have liked to see with the new Assiniboine Park Zoo Expansion: Journey to Churchill Exhibit , But I guess South African Penguins are still fascinating, nothing from the Antartic, (ie: Emperor), but still love em.

Curious what they will house in the Penguin Cove , after they depart?
The zoo is trying for an overall Northern Hemisphere theme, being North American, and Northern Asia. So I could potentially see Sea Otters or Beavers being housed there. Though I have yet to see the exhibited, so I don't know if the size would allow for that.

Old Posted May 14, 2013, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
The zoo is trying for an overall Northern Hemisphere theme, being North American, and Northern Asia. So I could potentially see Sea Otters or Beavers being housed there. Though I have yet to see the exhibited, so I don't know if the size would allow for that.

The enclosure seems pretty small from the videos I've seen, beaver would be great but the little fellas seem to need a lot of room..hard working little guys, they move a lot of lumber in a day, which is kind of fitting for the construction forum.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:47 PM

Zoo getting new snowy owls, baby fox
By: Staff Writer Posted: 2:31 PM

Two snowy owls and a baby red fox, called a kit, will arrive Friday and make their new home at the Assiniboine Park Zoo.

The two owls, both female, and the 2 1/2-month-old male fox are coming from the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society where they had been living.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...210453891.html

2 Snowy's and a Red fox, another nice addition to the zoo!

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 8:57 PM
BANNED

new washrooms:

from twitter.com/leighalfred

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
new washrooms:
Yes If I remember correctly from an article way back these are recycled shipping containers, with one way glass, Very "portable" if need be.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 4:42 PM

Zoo's tigers will get more room to roam
By: Bartley Kives Posted: 10:54 AM

The Assiniboine Park Zoo is building a new Amur tiger enclosure that will give the endangered cats about nine times more living space.

Work will begin this summer on a 26,000-square-foot Amur tiger enclosure that will connect to an existing 2,900-square-foot space for the large felines, which are also known as Siberian tigers.

The $350,000 enclosure, which should be completed this fall, will include a pond and existing trees that will provide cover for the tigers, said Don Peterkin, chief operations officer for the Assiniboine Park Conservancy, the non-profit organization that runs Assiniboine Park

The enclosure is part of a larger $1-million expansion of the Asian cats area at the zoo. The plan is to build two other new enclosures to increase living and breeding space for Asian lions as well, Peterkin said.

A total of $120 million in renovations are underway or planned for Assiniboine Park Zoo as part of a broader, $200-million reconstruction of Winnipeg's largest park.

Article Link/Image Source:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...211828561.html

More good news,with expansion, better conditions and overall animal welfare.
Cudos to the Assiniboine Park Conservancy, for turning our zoo and park into an exceptional gem!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2013, 7:26 PM
ARTchitecture

Wow! and I was just impressed with the Journey to Churchill exhibit! That's awesome.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan